Nevis, MN
51F / 11C
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 33m 19s
Overall Rank = 131/217
Age Group = F 30-34
Age Group Rank = 9/20
Pre-race routine:

Up at 5:45. Considering we had only just arrived in town at 12:45 am (due to husband's class reunion), this was no easy feat. :) Ate a Clif bar on drive to race site. Arrived at race site at 6:30 or so to get packets and body marked. Set up transition, walked and stretched, talked with Ian and Dave, and waited for the start.
Event warmup:

This could have been better. I stretched some, but should have got in the water earlier than I did to swim some more. As it was, I waited until after the pre-race meeting, and then we only had a few short minutes to swim before the first wave went out.
Swim
  • 07m 39s
  • 440 yards
  • 01m 44s / 100 yards
Comments:

Decent swim. The swim waves were divided in to 34 and under, and 35 and over, so there were quite a few swimmers in each group, and lots of young whippersnappers in my 34 and under group. I tried to stay on the inside and get out quickly, literally sprinting out from the start to the turn buoy. That worked ok for the most part, but it was pretty crowded on the inside. I was able to draft pretty well for a little while on the way back.
What would you do differently?:

Not very much. My arms were tired at the end, so I pretty much did as well as I could. As a side note, the swim times for this race include the time to run uphill to the T area, so I'm guessing my actual swimming time was at least 20 seconds shorter than the official 7:39 (maybe more, since I'm such a slow runner :) )
Transition 1
  • 02m 8s
Comments:

Very average transition for me. Glad my wetsuit did not get stuck like in the last race (despite forgetting Body Glide at home).

Just generally move faster.
Bike
  • 51m 22s
  • 14 miles
  • 16.35 mile/hr
Comments:

Pretty good ride for me. I wish I could get up over 17 mph average, but I'll have to keep working on it. The fact that I ride a hybrid doesn't help much. (I really must get a real bike!) As is the norm, I pass quite a few on the hills, but then get passed on the flats.

The start of this ride was a bit brisk, to say the least! It was probably around 55 or so degrees at that point, and when you're wet from the swim, it's a little chilly! My toes were actually cold for a good portion of the bike. brrr

Ate a small bit of Gu about halfway through. Tucked packet back into tri suit pocket--more on that later.

Just push harder throughout.
Transition 2
  • 01m 52s
Comments:

Slower than I'd like, as usual. My fingers were cold so I had a hard time tying my shoelaces.

Figure out the yankz laces. Ian showed me how to put them on so I'll have to do that here shortly.
Run
  • 30m 20s
  • 3.1 miles
  • 09m 47s  min/mile
Comments:

This is the best run of the year for me! I'm totally surprised because the IT band flared up badly right at the turnaround. Ugh. I knew the whole run back was going to be mind over matter, and fairly unpleasant. At about the 2 mile mark, I decided that I would not think about the ITB, and instead would concentrate on cheering on people who were running out. That helped. When I could see the finish, I stopped with the "limp run" and finished with a normal run so that I wouldn't look like a dork. Mark said he couldn't tell I was limping, so I pulled it off I guess. :)

Even though the temp. on the bike was a bit chilly, it was gloriously perfect for the run! I'm guessing it was maybe 60 degrees or so, and it was sunny and beautiful. No issues at all with overheating or side cramps. Woo hoo!

Take another couple Advil, continue to rehab the @#$@* IT band.
Post race
Warm down:

Walked around and stretched a bit. We also did the Compex electric massage thing for quads and calves. Interesting.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

IT band. Bike speed.

Event comments:

This is a fantastic race! By far our favorite course this year! People came out in droves to watch and cheer, which is always nice. It was great to see Ian (lincsguyus) and Dave (B_One) (who both kicked a$$ in this race, by the way!) before and after the race.

Humorous anecdote re: that Gu packet:
We decided to try out the Compex massage after the race. I'm lying there on the cot watching my legs twitch all around when I notice there is sticky goop on the little Compex monitor. What the heck?? I realize that the Gu packet from the race is STILL IN MY BACK TRISUIT POCKET, and it now totally smooshed all over me, my tri suit, the cot, and is leaking out on to the monitor thing. Doh!! I only ate about a third of it during the race, so there was plenty left to make a mess with. And the best part?? It was chocolate fudge! So my very non-loving husband (on the massage cot next to me) is sure to laugh and point out to everyone within earshot that it looks like I pooped myself. HAHAHA Yeah, funny. ;) I felt like *such* an idiot, but it really was kind of funny. (It was no problem to clean up the Compex monitor, thank goodness.) So much for trying to be good and not littering on the bike course...

Last updated: 2005-04-29 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:07:39 | 440 yards | 01m 44s / 100yards
Age Group: 2/20
Overall: 27/217
Performance: Average
Suit: Sleeveless wetsuit
Course: Counterclockwise out, across, and back. Well marked, no real waves, nothing yucky on the bottom-- nice course!
Start type: Wade Plus: Waves
Water temp: 75F / 24C Current: Low
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Average
Breathing: Average Drafting: Average
Waves: Good Navigation: Good
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 02:08
Cap removal: Average Helmet on/
Suit off:
No
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Average
Biking
00:51:22 | 14 miles | 16.35 mile/hr
Age Group: 10/20
Overall: 148/217
Wind: Some
Course: Very nice course! 14 mile loop around town. Smooth, dry roads, a few hills but nothing major, lots of shoulder to ride on.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Average Cornering: Average
Gear changes: Average Hills: Good
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 01:52
Overall: Average
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike Average
Running with bike Average
Racking bike Average
Shoe and helmet removal Below average
Running
00:30:20 | 03.1 miles | 09m 47s  min/mile
Age Group: 11/20
Overall: 151/217
Performance: Good
Course: Absolutely flat flat flat paved trail. Out and back.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2005-08-15 7:47 AM

User image

Master
Dayton, Minnesota
Bronze member
Subject: Northwoods Triathlon

2005-08-15 7:56 AM
in reply to: #225255

User image

molto veloce mama
Subject: RE: Northwoods Triathlon
awesome job, kelly! despite the itb, you still had a great pace on the run. you should be proud! and top 10 to boot! wish i could have been there to cheer you all on!
2005-08-15 8:03 AM
in reply to: #225261

User image

Master
Dayton, Minnesota
Bronze member
Thanks! I was thinking about your "sub 10, sub 10" chant from my first race as I was running. That was the goal, so mission accomplished there!
2005-08-15 8:46 AM

Expert
Princeton, MN
Sub 10 run? Outstanding.
Must remember to mention the massage chair next time I see you.
Well done.
See you there next year?

ian
2005-08-15 8:58 AM

User image

Expert
Minnesota
Great race Kelly!

I would have a hard time maintaining 17mph on a hybrid also. A road bike will help you pick up a couple of MPH and a tri bike should help your run. I think that you should bite the bicycle bullet.

Trek has an Equinox 7 Tri Bike coming out in '06 with a women's specific design. You should be able to pick one up for around $1500. Start saving your pennies.

Contact me if you need more info on a Trek.

David
2005-08-15 9:14 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Sioux Falls, SD

Great Job on the race, I was also there and I wish I could have ran into you!!! We will all have to get together next year, because I agree this is just a great race, and so so much FUN!!!

Anyway Great Job

GJ

2005-08-16 2:51 PM

Online or Offline

Wow Kelly! That's a great bike average on a hybrid! Congratulations on making your sub 10/min mi run, and ignoring the pain! AND not to mention, second out of the water in your AG is something to be proud of!

Must be nice to have your husband doing tris with you (or was he just getting a massage with you? LOL)

2005-08-16 3:17 PM
in reply to: #226619

User image

Master
Dayton, Minnesota
Bronze member
Thanks very much! Yes, my husband races also, and it is nice. He was supposed to race last year too, but didn't quite make it. I wouldn't let him beg off this year though!
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Northwoods Triathlon Rss Feed