General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Lactate threshold tests in middle of IM training Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2011-03-21 12:18 PM

User image

Veteran
Subject: Lactate threshold tests in middle of IM training

Hi all--

I am interested in your opinions on doing LT tests for the run and bike.  I have done the tests over a year ago and I know I need to determine my current zones. 

Right now I am on week 8 of the 30 week Be Iron Fit Plan for IM Louisville.  Things are going well except for my lack of desire to swim--different subject.  As many of you know, this plan calls for training in particular zones for both the bike and the run.  Right now I am going off RPE as I know my zones that I set last year are off.

With that said, how would you go about fitting in the zone tests and my normal training?  My thoughts are to skip a run session this week and do the run LT test. Then next week skip a bike session and do the bike LT test.  If I go this route, I am going to be sure the LT tests will be done on days that I don't swim and also in the middle of the week so as to not interfere with my longer run and ride on the weekend.

Does this sound like a good idea?  Do you have any other suggestions?

thanks,

Nathan

2011-03-21 12:39 PM
in reply to: #3406944

User image

Expert
Subject: RE: Lactate threshold tests in middle of IM training
NashinAK - 2011-03-21 1:18 PM

Hi all--

I am interested in your opinions on doing LT tests for the run and bike.  I have done the tests over a year ago and I know I need to determine my current zones. 

Right now I am on week 8 of the 30 week Be Iron Fit Plan for IM Louisville.  Things are going well except for my lack of desire to swim--different subject.  As many of you know, this plan calls for training in particular zones for both the bike and the run.  Right now I am going off RPE as I know my zones that I set last year are off.

With that said, how would you go about fitting in the zone tests and my normal training?  My thoughts are to skip a run session this week and do the run LT test. Then next week skip a bike session and do the bike LT test.  If I go this route, I am going to be sure the LT tests will be done on days that I don't swim and also in the middle of the week so as to not interfere with my longer run and ride on the weekend.

thanks,

Nathan

Are you still in your base phase of training? Or have you begun your build weeks? I think you are still far off that I don't believe would cause any damage. I do find it will be beneficial though. However, in my opinion finding your LT is always a good thing especially you want to verify your training zones.  I'm not a coach, so this is just my .02 

Scott

2011-03-21 12:48 PM

User image

Champion
Nashville, TN
You are 22 weeks from your race.  Rearranging this week or next to accommodate testing won't hurt you. 
2011-03-21 12:57 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Chicago
I think it's normal to do tests throughout your training, I may be wrong though.  I think I read that in Friel's book and his plans have you test on your rest weeks.  The HIM BT plan I'm following had me test for LT on the run a couple weeks ago and I think that was on an easier week.
2011-03-21 3:05 PM

User image

Coach
Boston, MA
NashinAK - 2011-03-21 12:18 PM

Hi all--

thanks,

Nathan

I usually set up testing for my athletes every 6-8 weeks depending on their needs/goals and type of testing (i.e. power vs HRM)

I usually set this off after an unload ('easy') week because and certainly a day after easy training because I want the athlete to perform the best possible effort to gauge better the current fitness level. Since they 3 all 3 sports I tend to do swim and bike on the same week and run on the next week.

2011-03-24 8:02 AM

User image

Elite
Spring, TX

I'd suggest fitting these test in as soon as you can.  In the year since your last round of tests, your fitness could have changed dramatically.  With 22 weeks left to go, you want to make sure your training is as effective as possible, so determining your threshold numbers early on will provide the most benefit. 

2011-04-27 1:34 PM

Regular
Babylon
Do your LT tests every 6-8 weeks during your recovery week!!! Done!
2011-04-27 1:54 PM

User image

Not a Coach
Media, PA

Your solution is a reasonable one (as are some other options people have given you).  Another is to stick with RPE if you like.  It's not critical to 'test', though it can be useful to push you outside of your comfort zone now and then--even during IM training.  Sort of like swimming more, which is probably a better thing to focus on. 

Edit:  Oops.  Just realized this thread is a month old.  Hopefully you are swimming, biking & running more by now!

Edited by JohnnyKay 2011-04-27 1:56 PM
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Lactate threshold tests in middle of IM training Rss Feed