General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Phily Tri - Philadelphia Insurance Triathlon - Olympic : Official Thread Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 3

2011-06-10 11:58 AM
in reply to: #3542087

Wenonah, NJ
Subject: RE: Phily Tri - Philadelphia Insurance Triathlon - Olympic : Official Thread
jsnowash - 2011-06-10 7:26 AM

SeasonsChange - 2011-05-13 9:13 PM

wouldve been a very nice race, but its

-overcrowded
-poorly conceived wave starts
-2 loops bike
-hilly for oly distance courseĀ 

X2 - especially on the bolded statement.... This is why I have pretty much zero interest in doing this race anymore......

I've done the race 6 or seven times now (some sprint and some Oly...sometimes both!), and I really like the race. Not that they need me to defend them but here are my .02 cents.

Poorly conceived wave starts- As a race director I can tell you there is no sequence for wave starts that will please everyone (or even nearly everyone). I get blasted for putting older athletes in later waves AND I get blasted for putting them in earlier waves. I get killed by women when I put them before some of the mens waves AND I get killed if I put them after the men. Everyone wants to be in the first wave but that can't happen. I've been in the last or next to last wave for the past few years. You just need to suck it up and enjoy the fact you'll have an hour without any port a potty lines!

The Bike course (and overcrowding)- I think Philly's bike course is one of the best bike courses you'll find (closed to traffic, scenic, a combination of hills and flat and enough other people out there to keep it interesting). Does it get crowded....yes, I guess, but from where I've been in the race overcrowding hasn't been an issue. More than anything it's been an issue of passing people on the right, which, from time to time I've done in this race. But, there are spots with literally FOUR lanes available where everyone rides in the left two lanes for some reason, so I'll pass in the two completely open right lanes and take my chance with a penalty. I don't put this on the race...this is people not riding right. They announce it, it's in the rules, people just don't follow the rule. The Black Road turn can be tough, I'll give you that. But in the end, I need to be in control.

The Schuylkill- From hearing people talk you'd think that they've been a duathlon 50% of the time. In six years they've had to cancel the swim only once due to river conditions (last year was because of the tragedy that occurred in the sprint the day before, not river conditions). That's ten out of eleven in terms of river conditions. (I probably just jinxed them)

I think, all in all it's a very good race.

2011-06-10 1:32 PM
in reply to: #3425119

User image

Pro
Wallingford, PA
Subject: RE: Phily Tri - Philadelphia Insurance Triathlon - Olympic : Official Thread
I agree it's a nice course from a scenic point of view, the organizers definitely put on a top notch event, and it's always a bonus to ride on a course closed to traffic. I don't really have any complaints about the swim waves - as you say, you can never make everyone happy in that regard..... My main complaint is with the number of people on the bike course. I've only done the race twice, and both times found the course crowded to the point of, at times, being dangerous. Maybe it's a factor of when I started - in an early wave, so that by the time I hit the second loop, I was on the course with just about everybody.... At any rate, as I said, I personally don't have much interest in doing this race again - I find the kind of crowding I've encountered on the bike course too stressful....

2011-06-10 3:44 PM
in reply to: #3542952

Wenonah, NJ
Well...if you swam as poorly as I do (and started in the last wave), you wouldn't find the bike course crowded
2011-06-10 3:46 PM

User image

Champion
Philly 'burbs
I did the Sprint in '08 and the Oly in '09 and did not experience overcrowding on the bike course. In fact, in '09 several people were bugging the RD about it during/after the athlete briefing the day before at the Expo and I fully expected to have issues but I didn't.
2011-06-10 4:46 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Sea Isle City, NJ
I agree with Larry. The course is one of the best you will race on. The crowding issue does raise its ugly head, but mostly because people don't follow the rules, especially the pass or drop back rule. You end up with people riding side by side and blocking. This is not on the race director and is not a reflection of the number of entrants. As far as Black road, you need to be in control here regardless if you are riding alone or in a pack. It is a big city race and big city races get big city crowds. Lars and his team do a great job and raise a lot of money for CHOP. That alone keeps me coming back. That and Larry in neoprene (ok just kidding there).
2011-06-11 8:24 AM

User image

Pro

I was a volunteer for this race for the past two years, this is my first time actually doing it. It seems highly organized and very safety conscious, and I am extremely excited about finally getting to participate as an athlete. Thanks to all those involved.

I'm doing both the Oly and Sprint bike course today with friends, should have a better feel for the hills once that's done! But I bike through Manyunk and Conshohocken quite a lot, and run Lemon Hill(ugh!), so I am sure it's just short and somewhat steep.

2011-06-11 1:57 PM

User image

Pro

OK, back from the course preview. I am doing the sprint (second one), but stuck with my friends to do both sprint and Oly. So keep in mind my report will reflect the level of training I have so far. We had to do some of the course in reverse because the streets are one-way, and there were a couple spots on the Olympic course you simply can't do without the road being closed.

The sprint course does not have any major hills by my standards. I thought the hardest part was the ramp at Strawberry Mansion where you cross over the Schuylkill. The other climbs were pretty moderate. There are a couple sharp turns where I can see it would get a bit crowded, especially as people pass on the right, which I was told happens. I was able to get aero on West River Drive on the way out and back before crossing the river. I like this course.

The Olympic course is more challenging and does have some tougher climbs. Lemon Hill is short and steep. The area past Memorial Hall is wet and there is always some debris in the road. I was told is where most of the crashes happen. There are multiple sharp turns on both sides of the river once you get off West River Drive.

Enjoy!

2011-06-16 2:21 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Philly Outsider

The Philly Sprint last year was my first Tri, and the Olympic this year will be my first Oly. (I've done a number of sprints inbetween.)

I really liked the Sprint bike course last year. I thought it had a good mix of flats and some hilly parts that you had to think about a bit. I find really long out-and-back courses to be terminally boring.  Having a good number of people on the course, and a varied course, makes it much more interesting and fun (for me). 

The Run last year was the painful part. Just a plain out and back on the asphalt, it was brutally hot, and mostly unshaded.  But again, the number of people on the course made it a little more interesting for me. People to look at, people to pass (and get passed by.)  I liked it.

See some of you guys there!

2011-06-20 12:02 PM

User image

New user
Philadelphia

For the folks that have participated in the past, how does the bottle exchange work on the bike?  Do they give you a full sized bottle? I suppose if they do, you discard your own water bottle prior to grabbing one.  This is my first Oly and never encountered a bottle exchange on the bike. Thanks!

Safe race to all Laughing

2011-06-20 12:29 PM
in reply to: #3558022

User image

Champion
Philly 'burbs
NurseHeather - 2011-06-20 1:02 PM

For the folks that have participated in the past, how does the bottle exchange work on the bike?  Do they give you a full sized bottle? I suppose if they do, you discard your own water bottle prior to grabbing one.  This is my first Oly and never encountered a bottle exchange on the bike. Thanks!

There's a bottle exchange? I did the Oly once and have no recollection of a bottle exchange.

2011-06-20 12:57 PM

User image

Regular

usually full size bottles and..

From the athlete guide:

There is 1 water bottle exchange station on the bike course, offering Gatorade Endurance edge bottles and water bottles. You will pass the bottle exchange twice, first at roughly mile 1.5 and second at roughly mile 14 – it will be on the right hand side on Chamounix Road. Please discard all empty bike bottles and trash in the immediate vicinity of these stations. This will make our clean-up efforts much easier. Discarded bottles or gear will not be returned to the Transition area.

2011-06-20 3:42 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Sea Isle City, NJ

For the folks that haveĀ participated in the past, how does the bottle exchange work on the bike?Ā  Do they give you a full sized bottle? I suppose if they do, youĀ discard your own water bottle prior to grabbing one.Ā  This is my first Oly and never encountered a bottle exchange on the bike. Thanks!

As noted above there is a bottle exchange on the bike course. I personally think it is not needed, unless you hit a bump early in the race and lost your only bottle. My thought is a single 24oz bottle for a 24 mile ride should be more than adequate. Keep a bottle in transition to get a good swig before and after you go out on the bike and come back in for the run. That puts you at about 28-30oz....more than enough fluid in my non expert in any way opinion. I am not a pro or an expert, but I see people weighing down their expensive light weight bikes with an aero drink and two full water bottles. That stuff is heavy and will weigh you down on the hills. My personal plan is just to have my aero bar drink filled. If we get a scorcher like last year and that is by chance not enough then I can get a bottle at the exchange and squirt it in the aero drink. Even last year in the heat I only needed my aero drink. This is just my opinion and is in no way the be all end all.
2011-06-21 2:43 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Philly Outsider

I've never been in a race with a bottle exchange, is it easy to do, or tricky?

I would think if I could just carry my own extra bottle, and not have to slow down and get mixed in with other riders also getting bottles, that I would save more time that way.

Being that this race is so well attended (euphemism for 'crowded'), the water stops on the run are often crowded and slow. I can't imagine that a bottle exchange is easy to use, or fast. But I really have no experience with it, so feedback is appreciated.

2011-06-21 2:47 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Philly Outsider

Also, I'm considering bringing my small nolan handheld bottle for the run portion. That way I don't have to get into the mix at the water stops, and can drink slow sips along the way.  But it's one more thing to pick up at transition. Thoughts?

This is my first longer distance race, up from sprints, so I'm trying to figure out the nuances of increased distance and time.

Lastly, the 5 day forecast looks absolutely perfect on Sunday. Some clouds, with the high in the low 80's.  Far cry from last year's mid 90's (I did the sprint, and it was HOT by the time I got to the run.)

2011-06-21 8:20 PM
in reply to: #3560600

User image

Pro
Apotheosis - 2011-06-21 2:47 PM

Also, I'm considering bringing my small nolan handheld bottle for the run portion. That way I don't have to get into the mix at the water stops, and can drink slow sips along the way.  But it's one more thing to pick up at transition. Thoughts?

This is my first longer distance race, up from sprints, so I'm trying to figure out the nuances of increased distance and time.

Lastly, the 5 day forecast looks absolutely perfect on Sunday. Some clouds, with the high in the low 80's.  Far cry from last year's mid 90's (I did the sprint, and it was HOT by the time I got to the run.)

Best of luck and have a safe race.

I'm doing the sprint on Saturday. It's my second one, I did Hammonton in May. This is my home turf, I live by the Art Museum. Weather Saturday doesn't look as good.

I volunteered last year and the weather was horrible. Not to mention the terrible thing that happened at the sprint. The Oly was just plain brutal without the swim.

2011-06-22 9:10 PM
in reply to: #3561140

User image

Paoli, PA

Is everyone monitoring the River temp?  It is hanging right around the wetsuit cut off.

Water Temp: 77 oF | 25 oC

http://www.phillyrivercast.org/

http://waterdata.usgs.gov/pa/nwis/uv?cb_00010=on&format=gif_default&period=5&site_no=01474500

2011-06-23 8:09 AM
in reply to: #3563024

User image

Pro
Gday - 2011-06-22 9:10 PM

Is everyone monitoring the River temp?  It is hanging right around the wetsuit cut off.

Water Temp: 77 oF | 25 oC

http://www.phillyrivercast.org/

http://waterdata.usgs.gov/pa/nwis/uv?cb_00010=on&format=gif_default&period=5&site_no=01474500

I have to stop, I'm checking every couple hours. I do NOT want to swim in the Schuylkill without a wetsuit.I will likely wear it no mater what, not like I'm winning any awards.

Weather looks excellent for both days, no rain and low 65, high 82. No deadly heat like last year!

I'm heading down to Bicycle Therapy to get my rear wheel trued, fixed, or replaced. I hit a pothole hard on Monday and noticed a wobble yesterday. Guys there are great, called last night and they said if I get there when they open they will fix whatever needs to be fixed while I wait. Nothing like a quality LBS, so I thought I'd give them a plug.

I hate the days before a race, too wired and neurotic.

Edited by moldoverb 2011-06-23 8:16 AM
2011-06-23 9:11 PM
in reply to: #3563312

User image

Regular
York

I'm not familiar with this swim but the times look pretty short. Is this usually a pretty strong helping current?

I sort of guage the suit decision more off the times than what the distance is in river swims.

Just wondering.

2011-06-24 6:54 AM
in reply to: #3564996

User image

Pro
haight2 - 2011-06-23 9:11 PM

I'm not familiar with this swim but the times look pretty short. Is this usually a pretty strong helping current?

I sort of guage the suit decision more off the times than what the distance is in river swims.

Just wondering.

Depends on rain and water flow. It's fairly low right now, 1160 cfs, so I doubt there is much of a current. The Oly swim course does run downstream so I'm sure it helps a bit. The sprint is a loop, so no net effect.

2011-06-24 12:41 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Sea Isle City, NJ
I feel pretty good about the chances of it being wetsuit legal. They will be measuring the temp the morning of the race very early so the river is a couple of degrees cooler. The showers and the fact that it won't be 90 for the next 2 days will be a big help. Think we will be ok. As far as flow, it is good for the Oly, but bad for the Sprint since you go into it for the first half of the Sprint. Looks like it will be similar to 08. 09 was very fast with a lot of flow. Good luck!
2011-06-24 4:12 PM

User image

Cherry Hill, NJ

Good luck to everyone tomorrow!

Quick question for anyone who has done this event or watched.  I was thinking of coming to cheer on and watch and wanted to ride the bike there.  Is it gonna be OK to basically go up West River or will there be issues with detours and things.

Is there a known, safe route to get there by bike?

Thanks and again, good luck!

2011-06-24 5:55 PM

I plan to ride down early tomorrow to watch the swim and maybe a bit of the bike.  depending upon the time you get there you will be able to head down MLK/West River from the Falls Bridge into the city.  not if bike already started though

I was gonna watch from the east side of the river.

good luck to everyone doing this race. 

peace

mf

2011-06-24 8:54 PM

User image

New user
Philadelphia

The sidewalk around the entire loop (WRD and Kelly Drive) will be open to all and passable.  In years past I have been running while the tri is still going on.  I actually planned on taking a ride up the drive as well.

G'luck to all this weekend, have safe race! 

2011-06-24 8:58 PM

User image

Pro

Got my race packet this afternoon. What's with the bright pink caps for the guys in my AG?? Or did they realize I was such a slow swimmer it makes it easier for people to point and laugh??

Night

2011-06-25 9:10 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Media, PA

Phillyrivercast showed the temp at 77 this morning, and 79 now.  Where did they end for the official temp?  Wetsuits allowed for competition?

Will the decision be made again tomorrow for the Oly? 

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Phily Tri - Philadelphia Insurance Triathlon - Olympic : Official Thread Rss Feed  

of 3