United States
Ironman North America
Sunny
Total Time = 8h 08m 54s
Overall Rank = 2097/2152
Age Group = W40-44
Age Group Rank = 87/97
Pre-race routine:

Up early, cereal for breakfast, drive an hour to Oceanside, park on street and ride about a mile to transition. My bag was poorly weighted and as soon as I moved forward on the bike I promptly fell over sideways with no warning to break my fall. Ended up with several scrapes on foot and knee and may have been the cause of my terrible hip pain during the run. Mangled one of my bottle cages. A volunteer at bike maintenance gave me one from his bike. Nice guy. Continued to bash up my feet tripping on anything and everything in transition. Note to self: don't wear flip flops pre-race, wear socks and real shoes.
Event warmup:

Jump up and down in porta-potty line, run up and down boardwalk, get back in line and jump some more. Once suited up, stood next to a large flood light generator that was putting out a fair amount of heat. Stayed there as long as possible before making my way through the coral to my wave. Wore old socks and disgarded just before race.
Swim
  • 53m 1s
  • 2112 yards
  • 02m 31s / 100 yards
Comments:

Best open wide swim I've had. Water was calm and didn't feel too cold but did smell of boat fuel, especially when passing the jet ski patrols. Got off course once when sun was in my eyes and I followed someone going the wrong way. Otherwise swim went very well for me, slow but consistent, not a lot of stopping.
What would you do differently?:

Work on core strength. Bad swim form that I haven't been able to fix puts a lot of pressure on my lower back.
Transition 1
  • 09m 51s
Comments:

Took my time. Would rather be prepared and comfortable on bike then save a couple minutes.

Nothing
Bike
  • 4h 11m 3s
  • 56 miles
  • 13.38 mile/hr
Comments:

Wind was very strong, both headwinds and crosswinds which kept my pace down from anxiety as much as the headwinds kept my pace down through force. Was worried about the hills but found I was able to get up them all right despite the many people walking. They are pretty typical for a Southern California ride. Nutrition was perfect. Sipped from water bottle four servings of Infinit Ironman Formula throughout race and several bottles of water. Note to self: don't pass up water even if you think you have plenty. Did once and ran short before next station.

Continue to ride hills and windy conditions. Take water at every station.
Transition 2
  • 07m 47s
Comments:

Took my time again. Everything went smoothly.

Know my gear. Wore new tri top for first time and didn't realize it was cut so low in back where I didn't apply sunscreen and ended up burned.
Run
  • 2h 47m 12s
  • 13.1 miles
  • 12m 46s  min/mile
Comments:

From the beginning of the run my left hip was killing me (maybe from my pre-race fall from the bike). I managed to run except for the aid stations, but it was not pretty. This was the most uncomfortable run I've had in my life. That's unfortunate, because otherwise it would have been very enjoyable. It was a bit warm, but that made for perfect beach weather.

Nothing, did what I could under the circumstances.
Post race
Warm down:

Medal on, hat on, chip off, water in, pizza in, grabbed bike and gear, and headed to Fidel's in Solana Beach for yummy Mexican food and a beer.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Wind, wind, and a sore hip.

Event comments:

As with most Ironman events the organization is superb and the volunteers are plentiful and effective. Great scenery on Camp Pendleton (including the Marines).

Last updated: 2011-04-01 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:53:01 | 2112 yards | 02m 31s / 100yards
Age Group: 88/97
Overall: 2126/2152
Performance: Good
Suit: Two piece De Soto
Course: Single loop in harbor
Start type: Deep Water Plus:
Water temp: 58F / 14C Current: Low
200M Perf. Average Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting:
Waves: Navigation: Good
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 09:51
Performance: Average
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
No
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Average
Biking
04:11:03 | 56 miles | 13.38 mile/hr
Age Group: 0/97
Overall: 0/2152
Performance: Average
Wind: Strong with gusts
Course: Single loop. Short technical section getting through Oceanside and on to base. Coastal ride north with short out and back on Las Pulgas Road. Bike path inland with short no passing zone. South through inland Camp Pendleton with rolling hills and three significant climbs (short but steep).
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Average Cornering: Average
Gear changes: Good Hills: Good
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 07:47
Overall: Average
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike Average
Racking bike Average
Shoe and helmet removal Average
Running
02:47:12 | 13.1 miles | 12m 46s  min/mile
Age Group: 87/97
Overall: 2096/2152
Performance: Below average
Course: Double loop along beach boardwalk.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities:
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2011-04-01 4:24 PM

User image

New user

Subject: Ironman 70.3 California

2011-04-02 11:05 PM
in reply to: #3425922

User image

Master
San Diego, CA
Subject: RE: Ironman 70.3 California
Congrats on your race. That return trip on the swim is tricky into the sun, way to navigate!
2011-04-02 11:24 PM
in reply to: #3425922

User image

Expert
Palm Springs, California
Subject: RE: Ironman 70.3 California

Yum! Fidel's! *clap* *clap* *clap*

Great job! Things were obviously tough today. A really strong woman I know DNF'd.

Good RR. It, um, makes me want to sign up for 2012, I think.

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Ironman 70.3 California Rss Feed