General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Things I learned on my first Bike ride (crash) of the season Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2011-04-06 10:57 AM

User image

Master
Rural Ontario
Subject: Things I learned on my first Bike ride (crash) of the season

Between work and the weather I have not been able to ride outside until recently. After a surpise April snowfall on Sunday (Canadian spring Yell),  Monday turned out perfect - a drizzly, warm southerly wind and the mercury shot all the way up to 12C (55F).

I grabbed my CX bike for a short jaunt along the paved & dirt trails near home. About 20mins into it I crashed hard. I approached a wet wooden bridge too fast and my slightly knobby CX tires slid out. In the hard crash I broke off my back brakes and behind-the-seat bottle holder, warped the wheel, and scraped / brusied up my hand and leg. The worst part was the ride home. Bloodied and muddy I rode on a wobbly bike while holding the still tethered back break by the cable.

Here is what I learned about going for quick, short rides: 

1. Wear a helmet - always... even on short rides around the block (I was wearing one and it saved me)

2. Wear gloves - hand abrasions suck.

3. Always Carry tools - I could have disconnecet the broken parts more easily.

4. Bring your cell - a ride in my wife's minivan would have been better then the ride-of-shame through town.

2011-04-06 11:15 AM
in reply to: #3432384

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.
2011-04-06 11:20 AM
in reply to: #3432421

Master
Rural Ontario
Subject: RE: Things I learned on my first Bike ride (crash) of the season
Bike is undergoing emergency surgery  - new brakes and wheel true-ing. Its a tough bike so the prognosis is good. For post-op physiotherapy I plan on racing it in the Paris-to-Ancaster 60km in 10 days.
2011-04-06 12:24 PM

Master

Hope you heal soon. Crashes/wipes are a bummer.

Agree will all above.

Gloves are an immense help - I've saved my skin in 3 falls this year alone. I wish they had padding for the knees and hips similar to the glove padding.

2011-04-06 6:07 PM

Master
Kailua, Hawaii

totally agree w your suggestions...similar thing happened to me on a test ride...

went to the bike shop to check out a new mountain bike, they casually said "take it for a spin around the block"....forgot my helmet.

made it around the "block" no problems, but after coming back in the store, they urged me to take it out for a longer spin....luckily I put my helmet on.

figured I'd give it a bit more of a "test" and rode a bit harder...unfortunately a curb jumped out at me and I slammed really hard onto my head. bloody knee, and ground up palms (no gloves). bike didn't suffer much except a little scratch.

hanging my head, I quietly walked into the bike shop...blood dripping from leg and hands.

told them I crashed it, and they quickly said, "well now you got that out of the way, go for another spin!" which I did...with gloves.

the helmet saved me from serious injury for sure, gloves would've prevented the hand abrasions which took a month or more to heal up completely.

btw, bought the bike .....

2011-04-06 6:17 PM
in reply to: #3433245

Regular

After all that you sorta had to!

2011-04-06 6:54 PM
in reply to: #3433254

Master
Kailua, Hawaii
sevrdhed - 2011-04-07 1:17 PM

After all that you sorta had to!

yeah...not sure what they would've said if I didn't...

2011-04-06 8:08 PM

New user

I wiped out pretty bad earlier this year. The ride up to the santa fe ski area(Santa Fe, NM) is a really popular route, so I decided to give it a try. The first saturday, I made it most of the way up. The saturday after, I made it all the way(about a 19 mile climb). I took a couple minutes at the top to enjoy the scenery before I started my descent. As I was rounding the 4th or 5th corner, a batch of cars came around the corner over the center line and pushed me to the outside. Santa Fe uses gravel in the winter, not salt, so I hit some loose gravel and my front tire slid and I landed hard on my right side. Ended up with some pretty bad road rash a pair of semi-new torn up pedals, and a torn pair of cycling tights. Worst part was, I didn't have any cell service until the bottom of the mountain, so by the time I could've called someone, I had ridden 18 miles in the freezing cold with a bloody arm and side. Not fun. 

Good advice though! I agree with all you've said.

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Things I learned on my first Bike ride (crash) of the season Rss Feed