BT Development Mentor Program Archives » BamaDC's Mentor Group v4.0 - Closed Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 44

2011-04-12 2:21 PM
in reply to: #3441860

User image

Master
Rogersville, Alabama
Subject: RE: BamaDC's Mentor Group v4.0 - Open
BamaDC - 2011-04-12 8:48 AM

What's on everyone's schedule today?

I've got a 3000 yard swim and some bike intervals at .95 FTP.

I didn't get to finish my swim, only 2400 yards.  I had some time to kill, so I did an easy 5K run.

2011-04-12 2:21 PM
in reply to: #3442732

User image

Master
Rogersville, Alabama

Mrschach - 2011-04-12 2:17 PM Still room?  If so, I will post some info but I am swamped at work right now.

Yes. Welcome to the group.

2011-04-12 3:03 PM
in reply to: #3442743

User image

Expert
Alabama

Bike ride tonight.  Will see how this week goes.

Sheep, you going to be out there today?

2011-04-12 3:03 PM
in reply to: #3442732

User image

Expert
Alabama

Mrschach - 2011-04-12 2:17 PM Still room?  If so, I will post some info but I am swamped at work right now.

Welcome!!

2011-04-12 3:05 PM
in reply to: #3441845

User image

Expert
Alabama
BamaDC - 2011-04-12 8:43 AM
LostSheep - 2011-04-12 7:26 AM

I'd love to re-up and stay in this group. It's been great so far, so why leave?

Name: Robert
Years: This will be #3.

My 2011 season has seen some races come and go, some hit the schedule only to be removed, but I'm planning on having a pretty big year and if I play my cards right, it should be.

It started with a PR on a 10mi in Jan & a half marathon in Feb. Then unfortunately, due to some work related scheduling I had to drop races in March and April, but it looks like they'll come back pretty quick.

I'm looking at a 5k swim, Buster Britton Sprint Tri, Chattanooga Waterfront (maybe), Rocketman Olympic Tri, Air Force half marathon (maybe), 1st full marathon, and a 10k.

I'm setting up the Rocketman and full marathon as an A race, so they're definitely circled.

I like the looks of the Atomic Man Half Ironman in Sept but it conflicts with the possible air force half and possibly the full marathon.

Either way, here's to another run of the mentor group!

If you need a earlier HIM, there is one in Nashville on September 10.  Nashvegas!

I may do it and AtomicMan.

Looks like that HIM is put on by Start 2 Finish.  They do Memphis in May, and it was a good event last year.  I'm signing up for Memphis in May again this year, but they moved it to Tunica.

2011-04-12 3:12 PM
in reply to: #3442728

User image

Veteran

Welcome!  I'm undecided between Nashvegas and AtomicMan.

Edit:

I checked out your logs and races.  Solid Work!

Thanks! 

This is the first time I've thought about the HIM distance and felt confident about it.  I don't want to rush it either.  Nashvegas works best for me b/c we'll be out of town during AtomicMan.  I think my wife might shoot for the oly @ Nashvegas, too.  Plus, it's later in the season, so more prep time.

2011-04-12 3:18 PM
in reply to: #3434029

User image

Expert
South Jersey

I am totally cheating and just copy and pasted from my mentor group last year this time!!  I am an accountant and it is April 12th!  No time for goofing off right now!!

Name:  Mrschach/Meggan

Story: My background is swimming.  I swam competitively from 8 through high school.  Looking back on it, I really should have competed in college but I did not like the swim coach at the college I went to.  I have worked out since I started college.  I started running in September of 2008 after I had my youngest son.  I had some pretty bad Post partum depression after having him and running was the main thing that pulled me out of it!  My first race ever was a 10 mile run in March of 2009.  I have done that race 3 times, the last time being a few weeks ago.  I did not hit my A time goal but still shaved 2 minutes off my time from last year.  I have done a few sprint tris over the past few years but I have a hard time fitting it all in.  Running is the easiest to do right now because I can hit the treadmill at 4:30 am if I need to.  I refuse to let training take away from the family too much.

Family Status:  Married with 2 boys.  Joe turned 4 in December and Logan will be 3 in June.  They are the real reason I need to run!!

Current Training: I am a little more than 4 weeks out of my second marathon.  I started working with a coach the end of February.  I know I am not fast and I will never BQ but I want to be more than mediocre. 

This years Races:  I did a 10 mile race a few weeks ago.  I am running the Delaware Marathon May 15th.  I have a half marathon the end of August and then Marine Corps Marathon in October!  My goal is 2 sprint tris this season but not sure which ones yet.  We head to the beach almost every weekend so it is hard for me to commit this early in the year.  I am a member of a new all women's tri club in my area.  It is our second year and we are capping membership at 200.  We are holding our first annual all women's sprint tri in June and I hope to do that one.  All depends on vacation plans!

2011-04-12 3:24 PM
in reply to: #3442490

User image

Extreme Veteran
Sykesville
LostSheep - 2011-04-12 1:41 PM
mashmead - 2011-04-12 12:21 PM

As promised.

NAME: mashmead / Mike
STORY:
2010 was my first year of triathlon. 

...So I ran some.  Then I swam some.  Then I noticed I was 2/3 of the way to a triathlon so got in touch with a friend for some advice.  He introduced me to BT, I got a bike and signed up for a local super sprint.  Fast forward to the end of the year and I had completed 3 sprints and an oly and somehow found the podium for all but the first race. 

Last weekend I completed my first century ride and I’ve tentatively put Nashvegas HIM on my schedule for this year.  But of course will need the help of a mentor group to pull it off....   

WOW. First year, and found 2 podiums? That's awesome. I've found 1 podium once in my life and it was probably the slowest 5k ever run...! Congrats!

No kidding, I was far from the podium last year and my first race of 2011 (6 weeks out) will probably be slower...

2011-04-12 3:27 PM
in reply to: #3442870

User image

Extreme Veteran
Sykesville
Mrschach - 2011-04-12 4:18 PM

I am totally cheating and just copy and pasted from my mentor group last year this time!!  I am an accountant and it is April 12th!  No time for goofing off right now!!

Story: My background is swimming.  I swam competitively from 8 through high school.  Looking back on it, I really should have competed in college but I did not like the swim coach at the college I went to.  I have worked out since I started college.  I started running in September of 2008 after I had my youngest son.  I had some pretty bad Post partum depression after having him and running was the main thing that pulled me out of it!  My first race ever was a 10 mile run in March of 2009.  I have done that race 3 times, the last time being a few weeks ago.  I did not hit my A time goal but still shaved 2 minutes off my time from last year.  I have done a few sprint tris over the past few years but I have a hard time fitting it all in.  Running is the easiest to do right now because I can hit the treadmill at 4:30 am if I need to.  I refuse to let training take away from the family too much.

Family Status:  Married with 2 boys.  Joe turned 4 in December and Logan will be 3 in June.  They are the real reason I need to run!!

Current Training: I am a little more than 4 weeks out of my second marathon.  I started working with a coach the end of February.  I know I am not fast and I will never BQ but I want to be more than mediocre. 

This years Races:  I did a 10 mile race a few weeks ago.  I am running the Delaware Marathon May 15th.  I have a half marathon the end of August and then Marine Corps Marathon in October!  My goal is 2 sprint tris this season but not sure which ones yet.  We head to the beach almost every weekend so it is hard for me to commit this early in the year.  I am a member of a new all women's tri club in my area.  It is our second year and we are capping membership at 200.  We are holding our first annual all women's sprint tri in June and I hope to do that one.  All depends on vacation plans!

I believe Robert (LostSheep) is doing MCM.

2011-04-12 3:41 PM

User image

Master
Rogersville, Alabama
Mrschach - 2011-04-12 3:18 PM

Give it time and consistency.  Back in 05 I thought there was no way in this world I could BQ.  Six years later, I have no doubt I could run a sub 3:10. 

If I get to my goal weight by August, I'll be giving it a go this winter.

2011-04-12 3:42 PM
in reply to: #3442863

User image

Master
Rogersville, Alabama
mashmead - 2011-04-12 3:12 PM

Welcome!  I'm undecided between Nashvegas and AtomicMan.

Edit:

I checked out your logs and races.  Solid Work!

Thanks! 

This is the first time I've thought about the HIM distance and felt confident about it.  I don't want to rush it either.  Nashvegas works best for me b/c we'll be out of town during AtomicMan.  I think my wife might shoot for the oly @ Nashvegas, too.  Plus, it's later in the season, so more prep time.

My wife is also considering this plan.

2011-04-12 3:48 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Sykesville

Here's my background for the new folks...

NAME: cornfed / Drew

STORY: Started running in 2009 to loose weight and get back in shape after a post college period of sloth and laziness.  I found I really liked running but was worried about my knee from a old college injury so I bought a bike to cross train.  Then I joined a gym so I'd have treadmill to use over the winter and found they offered swim lessons for people who were interested in starting to swim laps for fitness.  It's been all down hill from there.

FAMILY STATUS: Married, no kids, 1 dog.  My wife likes to take classes at the gym and thinks I'm nuts to go running and riding by my self at the crack of dawn.

CURRENT TRAINING: Bought a powertap late last year when I wanted to get more serious about my training and then decided to get a little more focused with my year and am using the iCoach service from Jorge.

2011 RACES: Main races are an Olympic in late May (Columbia) and another in early October (Giant Acorn).  I have sprint and some running races scheduled and will probably and some local/low key races if the fit in my schedule.

WEIGHTLOSS:  Currently at 210 and would like to get below 200 before my race in May but that's not looking very realistic right now.

WHAT WILL MAKE ME A GOOD MENTEE:
  I've been a good mentee each of the last three round!

2011-04-12 3:55 PM
in reply to: #3442912

User image

Extreme Veteran
Sykesville
BamaDC - 2011-04-12 4:41 PM

Give it time and consistency.  Back in 05 I thought there was no way in this world I could BQ.  Six years later, I have no doubt I could run a sub 3:10. 

If I get to my goal weight by August, I'll be giving it a go this winter.

I'll second that.  I have a long way to go but I've also come a lot further than I expected by just running a lot and being consistent.

2011-04-12 3:59 PM

User image

Master
Rogersville, Alabama

Drew did you go/visit while in Italy?

2011-04-12 4:06 PM
in reply to: #3442966

User image

Extreme Veteran
Sykesville
BamaDC - 2011-04-12 4:59 PM

Drew did you go/visit while in Italy?

We tried to see/do everything.  Started in Milan, then went to Venice and Florence.  Rented a car (that was exciting) and drove around Tuscany for a couple of days then spent the last two days in Rome.  Whirlwind trip but lots of fun!

2011-04-12 4:28 PM

User image

Master
North Alabama

...This years Races:  I did a 10 mile race a few weeks ago.  I am running the Delaware Marathon May 15th.  I have a half marathon the end of August and then Marine Corps Marathon in October!  My goal is 2 sprint tris this season but not sure which ones yet.  We head to the beach almost every weekend so it is hard for me to commit this early in the year.  I am a member of a new all women's tri club in my area.  It is our second year and we are capping membership at 200.  We are holding our first annual all women's sprint tri in June and I hope to do that one.  All depends on vacation plans!

Hooah! I'll be seeing you in October then. I'll be racing as part of Team Red White & Blue for that event (along with all year) and I'm quite excited!

Oh, and welcome!

2011-04-12 5:44 PM
in reply to: #3443011

User image

Expert
South Jersey
LostSheep - 2011-04-12 4:28 PM

...This years Races:  I did a 10 mile race a few weeks ago.  I am running the Delaware Marathon May 15th.  I have a half marathon the end of August and then Marine Corps Marathon in October!  My goal is 2 sprint tris this season but not sure which ones yet.  We head to the beach almost every weekend so it is hard for me to commit this early in the year.  I am a member of a new all women's tri club in my area.  It is our second year and we are capping membership at 200.  We are holding our first annual all women's sprint tri in June and I hope to do that one.  All depends on vacation plans!

Hooah! I'll be seeing you in October then. I'll be racing as part of Team Red White & Blue for that event (along with all year) and I'm quite excited!

Oh, and welcome!

What is Team Red White & Blue?

2011-04-12 6:33 PM

User image

Expert
Raleigh
Hello to all the new folks. Gonna be nice to have some fresh meat in the group. I've been around since v1.0. Here's my bio: I'm married with 3 kids all under 6. I'm 35 and devilishly handsome! 2010 was my 1st real year of racing tri. I went from my 1st sprint in march, to oly in August, HIM Augusta in Sept, to B2B full in Nov. I went 5:28 in my half, and 13:26 at B2B. This year the plan is to focus on the half iron distance, I did well in a sprint last month, and I'm racing New Orleans 70.3 next Sunday. We have a great group here with friendly folks who also offer great advice. They saw me thru a year of IM training, and when my wife was tired of hearing about my brutal brick workout, or high elbow catch, these guys would always listen. Be warned however, they are Alabama boys who seem to drink the Crimson Tide cool aid. Looking forward to chatting with you all. Also, I usually post from my iPad, which for some reason screws up the spacing in all my posts and makes it appear as if I have no space bar or return key!

Edited by titeloops 2011-04-12 6:35 PM
2011-04-12 7:00 PM
in reply to: #3442490

User image

Regular

Happy to see some new people!  Here's my bio - don't remember if I did one last time!

NAME: jennitris/Jennifer

STORY: I've always been a distane runner - love the 1/2 marathon distance, and have done one full marathon. My husband bought me a bike and convinced me to do triathlon in '04.  Did my first triathlon in August '04 and loved the sport.  Took the next season off due to pregnancy.  Did two more sprint triathlons in '07, took the next season off to have number 2.  Started back up in '09 with a sprint, then did an olympic last summer and supported my husband in two HIM's.  Figured if he could do it, so could I - so, I'm less than 5 weeks away from my first HIM.  Just PR'd the 1/2 marathon distance last month with a 1:58.

FAMILY STATUS: Married to a fellow triathlete (717drvr), 2 kids 5 year old boy and 3 year old girl

CURRENT TRAINING/2011 RACES:  .:  Florida 70.3 May 15th at Disney World.  Plan to do another Olympic (maybe chattanooga), and contemplating Nashvegas 1/2

WEIGHTLOSS:  As of today I am down 15 lbs since January. 

WHAT WILL MAKE ME A GOOD MENTEE:I have A LOT of questions, and a few good ideas.    

2011-04-12 9:02 PM
in reply to: #3443187

User image

Veteran

titeloops - 2011-04-12 6:33 PM Hello to all the new folks. Gonna be nice to have some fresh meat in the group. I've been around since v1.0. Here's my bio: I'm married with 3 kids all under 6. I'm 35 and devilishly handsome! 2010 was my 1st real year of racing tri. I went from my 1st sprint in march, to oly in August, HIM Augusta in Sept, to B2B full in Nov. I went 5:28 in my half, and 13:26 at B2B. This year the plan is to focus on the half iron distance, I did well in a sprint last month, and I'm racing New Orleans 70.3 next Sunday. We have a great group here with friendly folks who also offer great advice. They saw me thru a year of IM training, and when my wife was tired of hearing about my brutal brick workout, or high elbow catch, these guys would always listen. Be warned however, they are Alabama boys who seem to drink the Crimson Tide cool aid. Looking forward to chatting with you all. Also, I usually post from my iPad, which for some reason screws up the spacing in all my posts and makes it appear as if I have no space bar or return key!

So I can't get any Big 12 love here?

edit to add: dude, you did some serious work in 2010.  nice job.

Edited by mashmead 2011-04-12 9:15 PM
2011-04-12 9:13 PM

User image

Veteran

Regarding bike maintenance, do you guys do most/all of it yourself?  Do you get tuneups, how often? 

General bike know-how is a real weakness for me, I just don't have a lot of experience with them.  I dread the flat tire or mechanical issue while out riding. 

2011-04-12 9:40 PM
in reply to: #3443187

User image

Master

titeloops - 2011-04-12 6:33 PM Hello to all the new folks. Gonna be nice to have some fresh meat in the group. I've been around since v1.0. Here's my bio: I'm married with 3 kids all under 6. I'm 35 and devilishly handsome! 2010 was my 1st real year of racing tri. I went from my 1st sprint in march, to oly in August, HIM Augusta in Sept, to B2B full in Nov. I went 5:28 in my half, and 13:26 at B2B. This year the plan is to focus on the half iron distance, I did well in a sprint last month, and I'm racing New Orleans 70.3 next Sunday. We have a great group here with friendly folks who also offer great advice. They saw me thru a year of IM training, and when my wife was tired of hearing about my brutal brick workout, or high elbow catch, these guys would always listen. Be warned however, they are Alabama boys who seem to drink the Crimson Tide cool aid. Looking forward to chatting with you all. Also, I usually post from my iPad, which for some reason screws up the spacing in all my posts and makes it appear as if I have no space bar or return key!

Oh puke.  UF (and Clemson) grad here, despite living in 'Bama.

2011-04-12 9:42 PM
in reply to: #3443471

User image

Master
mashmead - 2011-04-12 9:13 PM

Regarding bike maintenance, do you guys do most/all of it yourself?  Do you get tuneups, how often? 

General bike know-how is a real weakness for me, I just don't have a lot of experience with them.  I dread the flat tire or mechanical issue while out riding. 

Try to do it myself.  Flat tires are something that you need to know, for sure. 

We're gonna find out how good my skills are soon.  Building up a new bike and converting the Talon over to a tri-bike here toward the end of the month.  I saw no reason to buy something when I could build for pretty cheap.

2011-04-12 9:45 PM
in reply to: #3442235

User image

Master
titeloops - 2011-04-12 11:05 AM

BTW, do you think Abita and Hurricanes are a good nutrition and hydration strategy?

No, but beignets and hurricanes are!

2011-04-12 9:48 PM
in reply to: #3443528

User image

Veteran
sand101 - 2011-04-12 9:42 PM
mashmead - 2011-04-12 9:13 PM

Try to do it myself.  Flat tires are something that you need to know, for sure. 

We're gonna find out how good my skills are soon.  Building up a new bike and converting the Talon over to a tri-bike here toward the end of the month.  I saw no reason to buy something when I could build for pretty cheap.

I've had to fix a flat once on a ride.  Took me a while, though. 

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » BamaDC's Mentor Group v4.0 - Closed Rss Feed  

of 44