in reply to: #3434844

User image

Expert
Las Vegas, NV
Subject: RE: jmk-brooklyn's group-- FULL

RR is done

http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/discussion/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=260601

Next up is a century Aug 20 in Utah.

So I've been thinking about my last race in Oct. I've been planning on doing the HIM distance and have been following the training plan here on BT. So far, I'm doing good sticking to the plan and don't feel that any of it is too much for me. Regardless of my decision, I will finish this plan...but, I'm wondering if I should do the Oly distance instead. If I do the HIM, I could possibly finish BOP. The challenge would simply be to finish the distance at a good pace for me. However, if I do the Oly, I would be a bit more competitive and would have the satisfaction of beating last year's time by a lot. Also, some people I bike with are doing the Oly, so I would get to race them. Not sure what to do. Thoughts?

2011-07-14 5:41 AM
in reply to: #3595554

User image

Veteran
Maryland
Jackie, I think you need to look at the reasons why you started to/continue to do triathlons when making your decision. If your primary reason is having fun, then you really should do the race that is more fun (which sounds like the Olympic). If your main reason was to push yourself to the limit to see how tough you are, and this is your first HIM ever, you might consider sticking with it. Unless you think you will regret not having gone the HIM distance this time around, it sounds to me like the Olympic might be a better experience.
2011-07-15 12:27 AM

User image

Expert
Las Vegas, NV

Johnny- Yes, this would be my first HIM and you are absolutely right, I have to decide what drives me more. Regardless, I will continue with my HIM plan. This week my long run is suppose to be 90 mins! I will be doing that Sunday. I'll let you know how it goes. I have until Aug 31 to decide (after that the registration fee goes up)

Had to take a break from training today to shut down a little smack talk. Over the winter I did alot of gym work to up my cardio & practice keeping my HR up. Mostly elliptical & stairmill. Anyhow, during our hill climbing last Tues, Mark said I probably couldn't still do those workouts. I took the bait & told him I could do double that. So that's what we did today. 2 hours on the Stairmill at level 8. Good workout. I still say 10 hill repeats are harder.

2011-07-18 2:29 PM

Johnny and Jackie, congrats on your races!  Despite the water issues you both had, it sounds like you guys did really well.  I've done a snake swim in a pool, although I was in the M-BOP, but it can get pretty crazy trying to pass and be passed, and I remember there were so many people holding onto the walls, that I was lucky to even get to it once to get a good push off.  With respect to the open water knocking you around, I'll defer to my first OWS race, which frazzled me beyond anything I expected.  You both did great!

Jackie, with respect to your question, Johnny's right, you need to feel what motivates you more, to complete the longer distance (which would be crazy awesome), or race against your friends and see your improvement compared to the past (which is a great idea).  I guess it comes down to your gut and see what is compelling you do make your decision.  Either way, you can't go wrong because you are getting some sort of satisfaction doing either, right?

Okay I have a question, to wetsuit or not to wetsuit?  The water here is averaging the mid 70's right now, so for you more experienced athletes, do you still wear your wetsuits when the water starts to get warm?  I wasn't sure what to do, because I'm not a fan of the wetsuit and the slow transition as a result of wearing it, but I'm a super-baby when it comes to colder water (the pool at the Y is 85 and I still get cold going in), and wonder if I should wear it anyway in training and/or in the race.  I'm curious what you all think?

Thanks,

Kelly

2011-07-18 9:36 PM
in reply to: #3595554

User image

Champion
Brooklyn, NY
jpbis26 - 2011-07-13 9:12 PM

RR is done

http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/discussion/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=260601

Next up is a century Aug 20 in Utah.

So I've been thinking about my last race in Oct. I've been planning on doing the HIM distance and have been following the training plan here on BT. So far, I'm doing good sticking to the plan and don't feel that any of it is too much for me. Regardless of my decision, I will finish this plan...but, I'm wondering if I should do the Oly distance instead. If I do the HIM, I could possibly finish BOP. The challenge would simply be to finish the distance at a good pace for me. However, if I do the Oly, I would be a bit more competitive and would have the satisfaction of beating last year's time by a lot. Also, some people I bike with are doing the Oly, so I would get to race them. Not sure what to do. Thoughts?

I'd say do the HIM, personally. Although I've only done one, I think it's my favorite distance. It's long enough that it feels like a monumental achievement (because it is), even if you're M- or BOP, but the training is manageable within the confines of a normal life.

The competitive part is there for me as well-- I grew up an athlete and I still feel funny about participating in a sport that, frankly, I'm not that good at, compared to people who really are good. It's a struggle to put that part of my nature aside and race myself or race the course, or whatever. I do try to pick out a couple of people in my AG who look like they're about my fitness level and say to myself, whatever happens, I'm beating that guy. I did that at the Rev3 race and it was fun.
2011-07-18 9:42 PM
in reply to: #3602267

User image

Champion
Brooklyn, NY
Turtle who Tris - 2011-07-18 2:29 PM

Johnny and Jackie, congrats on your races!  Despite the water issues you both had, it sounds like you guys did really well.  I've done a snake swim in a pool, although I was in the M-BOP, but it can get pretty crazy trying to pass and be passed, and I remember there were so many people holding onto the walls, that I was lucky to even get to it once to get a good push off.  With respect to the open water knocking you around, I'll defer to my first OWS race, which frazzled me beyond anything I expected.  You both did great!

Jackie, with respect to your question, Johnny's right, you need to feel what motivates you more, to complete the longer distance (which would be crazy awesome), or race against your friends and see your improvement compared to the past (which is a great idea).  I guess it comes down to your gut and see what is compelling you do make your decision.  Either way, you can't go wrong because you are getting some sort of satisfaction doing either, right?

Okay I have a question, to wetsuit or not to wetsuit?  The water here is averaging the mid 70's right now, so for you more experienced athletes, do you still wear your wetsuits when the water starts to get warm?  I wasn't sure what to do, because I'm not a fan of the wetsuit and the slow transition as a result of wearing it, but I'm a super-baby when it comes to colder water (the pool at the Y is 85 and I still get cold going in), and wonder if I should wear it anyway in training and/or in the race.  I'm curious what you all think?

Thanks,

Kelly

The generally accepted philosophy is that if a race is wetsuit legal, you should wear your wetsuit. So Mid-70's, I'd still wear mine. For me, the speed I gain outweighs the extra time in T1 it takes to remove it. For a very fast swimmer, that might not be the case.

I have a race coming up this weekend that might turn out to be my first non-wetsuit-legal swim ever. I'm a little nervous about it, honestly. I don't know why I should be, since I swim in practice without one all the time, but it is a little bit of a crutch during races. I've never worn it in a race and felt too warm. I'm trying to think of a time in a race when the water felt especially warm and I can't, really. Most of my races have either been ocean swims or early in the season before it gets too hot. I think the NYC tri was non-wetsuit-legal for pros one year, but I wore mine and was glad I did, since there were tons of jellyfish....

2011-07-19 5:30 PM

User image

Expert
Las Vegas, NV

I'm also a big fan of my wetsuit. I've never raced without it, even though I have been in races where it has been warm enough to go without. I feel more buoyant and secure with it on. That being said, if you feel better without one, plenty of people race without. Maybe try a few OWS without and see how you feel?

I'm now in Buffalo, NY. I've survived the flight with all 3 kids. I've done 2 runs in the 3 days I've been here (3 miler, & 6.5 miler). So hopefully, I can keep it up.

2011-07-21 11:08 AM

Hi everybody,I came to Singapore this morning.... trying hard to settle down. Fortunately I have been in touch with a gentleman in Sing, who has been doing the OSIM tri for last 6/7 years regularly. Now he is 70+ and he still does it. He also has a tri equipment shop in Sing. Today I bought a new running pair of shoes ( where laces are almost tied - you only need to just pull them), a helmet fot cycling, and a try suit. Now the challenge is finding places to train. Sing being a very small place, you really need to hunt for locations, avoiding traffic areas.

My other partner from SL , will join me next week. I am planning to buy a new pair of cycling shoes tom. I came to know of a Shimano pair which has only one strap, hence supportive for tris.

Will keep you all updated on the activities.. ..will be needing a lot of hints on transitions..

Cheers!

Sujith

2011-07-24 1:49 AM

Hi,

Took part in the training clinic that I got registered with. The two trainers got us to do three mini tris, one after the other; Swim: 200m, Cycle: 4Km & run 2 km.  There were abt 20 from different age groups and from Sprint and OD both. Most of them are first timers. As expected I was poor in swim and transitions. Had issues in getting the direction right. Got hit a couple of time on the face by those who were doing breast stroke. Goggles almost dropped.

Transitions: I was busy removing sand and wiping off the feet. I was doing everything seated on the ground, which the trainer said a big energy and a time waster. I was also struggling in putting the new helmet I bought. It has two many things to adjust.

Anyway, I decided to: Not to wear socks for both cycling and running, not to carry any water bottles whilst running, not to wear gloves for cycling......etc. Also, got to know that they will have a place to wash your feet right after swimming, which is comforting.

( The race is: 2 laps of swim, 750 m each, 4 laps of bike 10 km each & 2 laps of run 5km each)

So.. I will:

1. Come out of swim and run to the transition area, removing my swim cap and the pair goggles.

2. Wash my feet on my way to the transition area and go to my cycle.

3. Wipe off my feet quickly with towel I have kept there and wear the cycling shoes.

4. Wear the belt that I have kept ready with my two Race Bib Number boards.

5. Drink my energy drink and some water.

6. Wear my cycling glasses ( should I avoid this?) and the helmet, get on the bike and go..

After cycling....( We come back to the same transition area)

7. Get off the bike and remove the helmet and the pair of cycling glasses.

8. Remove the cycling shoes and wear the running shoes.

9. Drink ( 2/3 sips from my energy drink and also water) and off I run.

( We ' ll have our drinks in the bikes - of course - and also there are  official location on both the cycling and running tracks.

Do you guys have any tips  can I skip some of those or are there any that I possibly have missed?

Cheers!

Sujith

2011-07-25 2:04 PM

User image

Champion
Brooklyn, NY
Looks fine overall.

Transitions are not my strength, but here are a few tips:

Put your goggle-strap under your cap instead of over. It provides some protection from the goggles getting knocked off your head, plus you can pull your goggles and cap off in one motion once you’re out of the water. If you’re wearing a wetsuit, you can sometimes yank off your cap/goggles, then pull your arm out through the sleeve of your wetsuit and release the cap/goggles inside the sleeve and they’ll stay there inside the sleeve.

I keep a bike-bottle of water at my transition area that I use to spray off my feet if there’s still sand/mud/grass on them. It also comes in handy if your aerobottle splashes red Gatorade all over you during the bike leg as it did to me on Sunday.

Not all races require you to wear your race number belt on the bike. Often, the number on your helmet and bike are sufficient. If they don’t require it, leave the race belt off until you start the run. It can negatively affect aerodynamics and it’s an extra thing to worry about.

You should wear sunglasses on the bike. The wind in your eyes can make it hard to see, plus there are insects, dust, water etc. that you should protect your eyes from.

It’s fine to have energy drink at your transition, but you may not need it. There’s usually an aid station right outside transition on the run, and you can start drinking once you get on the bike. You may find that after running in from the swim, your heartrate will be too high and your stomach may be unsettled and you won’t tolerate fluid right away.
2011-07-25 2:05 PM

User image

Champion
Brooklyn, NY
Hi Suhjith.

That clinic sounds amazing!

Your tranisiton looks fine overall.

Transitions are not my strength, but here are a few tips:

Put your goggle-strap under your cap instead of over. It provides some protection from the goggles getting knocked off your head, plus you can pull your goggles and cap off in one motion once you’re out of the water. If you’re wearing a wetsuit, you can sometimes yank off your cap/goggles, then pull your arm out through the sleeve of your wetsuit and release the cap/goggles inside the sleeve and they’ll stay there inside the sleeve.

I keep a bike-bottle of water at my transition area that I use to spray off my feet if there’s still sand/mud/grass on them. It also comes in handy if your aerobottle splashes red Gatorade all over you during the bike leg as it did to me on Sunday.

Not all races require you to wear your race number belt on the bike. Often, the number on your helmet and bike are sufficient. If they don’t require it, leave the race belt off until you start the run. It can negatively affect aerodynamics and it’s an extra thing to worry about.

You should wear sunglasses on the bike. The wind in your eyes can make it hard to see, plus there are insects, dust, water etc. that you should protect your eyes from.

It’s fine to have energy drink at your transition, but you may not need it. There’s usually an aid station right outside transition on the run, and you can start drinking once you get on the bike. You may find that after running in from the swim, your heartrate will be too high and your stomach may be unsettled and you won’t tolerate fluid right away.

2011-07-25 2:10 PM

Subject: I did it!!!!! First Triathlon. Very respectible.

JUDY ASHLEY #182

IPSWICH, MAAge: 52 Gender: F

DistanceShort
Clock Time01:46:23
Overall Place463 / 998
Division Place39 / 99
Swim00:19:25
Swimrank596
Trans100:03:18
Bike00:47:18
Bikerank298
Mph15.2
Trans200:03:55
Runrank562
Run00:32:26
Pace00:10:27

Danskin Tri Blog...7/24/11
75 degrees, muggy, light rain, cloudy.  Perfect except for the muggy.

Sat. Night.  Bed at 9pm with Advil PM.  Slept from about 10 to 1:30 or so.  Cat napped until Mike woke me at 3:30.  Bagel, and coffee for the ride...out the door I went at 3:55...waiting for Lesley at end of driveway. We set out at 4am. I had Lesley’s bike on the car already...she was meeting me at my house.  As I waited at the end of the driveway, I wondered what I would have done if she slept through the alarm clock....then I saw her headlights.  She came by with a big smile.

We chatted on the way out...ate our bananas and talked about how the day was finally here.  I dropped Lesley at the Lake with our bikes and gear and drove to parking and took bus back.  As we approached the transition area...oh my gosh the butterflies and nerves really kicked in.  We set up our areas and then we each reviewed each others as a double check.  Our families arrived. Mike, Jenn, Tina, Kate and Pete.  I was happy to see them, and very nervous.  

Swim.  I was in the third wave...green cap.  It was not a crowded swim.  I could find water without lots of people around.  I had trouble catching my breath, but I just kept going because I had been having the problem  all week from the prednisone and knew I could push through it.
I had to take some breaks and do the breast stroke...I even did 3 or 4 backstrokes.  I realized the breast stroke was a good break and I could catch some breaths and keep moving...so that is how I rested.  It seemed long and hard, but also, I felt like I was making progress at the same time.  The swim had large yellow buoys every 10th of a mile, so you could just set your sights on these and it helped shrink the distance mentally.  I saw Mike and Jenn at the edge of the water when I came out...I yelled and waved my arms and smiled to them.  I was so glad to have the swim behind me.  ½ mile, 19:25 minutes.  Better than anything I have done at Stiles Pond or the Y.

Transition 1 went pretty smooth.  I could not get bike  off rack...so Tina on the sidelines told me to go forward instead of trying to force under the rail.  It worked and off I went.  

Bike: I love my bike, I love the ride portion of the tri.  4 miles in we hit a 3/4 mile series of hills.  They were hard, but doable.  I could hear lots of heavy breathing around me.  Lesley and I had driven the course the day before, so I knew where the top of the hill was.  Lots of people were getting off.  We were rewarded with a long, fast ride back down the other side.  I was able to gain back lots of time.  After the first series of hills, there were a lot a small ones, but they were very fun and small.  I chatted with lots of women around me.  Most were surprised by my conversation, but I was remembering to have fun.  I was trying to not make it so intense...at least for myself. I needed to save something for the run. I found all of my family members at different spots as I came in.  That was great.  All of them were SO supportive and excited for me.  It really made me feel great and gave me adrenaline.  I did realize ½ way through I had forgotten my sunglasses.  I was a bit nervous about getting something in my eyes. 47 mins.

Transition two went smooth.  I did leave without my sunglasses and  visor, but fortunately I did not need them.  

Run.  Tina was at the run transition so I handed her over my bike shorts as I changed into running shorts.  Off I went.  I took small slow steps as I started out. I rounded a corner and there was Jenn with a big sign with my name on it and a huge smile.  Mike and Jenn ran along with me a little and told me Lesley was just a minute or so ahead of me and that my bike time was way under the hour as I had predicted.  This make me feel SO good.  My legs were tired, but right away I could tell that I was going to do this run without stopping.  I kept what seemed like a crawl of a pace, but in the end..it was a 10+ pace.  I just kept telling myself...one foot in front of the other, small steps when too tired.  I found Lesley coming back from her run a little before the 2 mile marker.  It was an awesome moment to high five her and scream each other’s names. From this point forward I was smiling big.  I knew I was going to do it in pretty good time and no walking.  Toward the finish line I found Mike and Jenn again.   I kept screaming to them that I DID NOT WALK.  I had done it without stopping at any point.  Jenn said she knew I had not walked because of how fast...for me, that I came back from the run.

I rounded the corner to the finish corridor and just had the best best feeling.  Not able to describe.  It was the hardest and funnest accomplishment I have done in a long time.  I kept saying to myself, “ You just trained and did a triathlon in respectable time for 52 year old female.”

Lots of hugs and fun at the finish line.

Edited by JLAshley 2011-07-25 2:11 PM
2011-07-25 2:44 PM

User image

Champion
Brooklyn, NY
The race on Sunday was pretty good, although the temperature was in the low 90’s (33c )by the time it was finished. There were lots of hot, unshaded parts of the run course, especially the critical section, mile 4-5 where you realize you’ve already run a 5-k and you still have more than 3 miles to go.

The swim was…interesting. I was glad I had walked around the course the day before, because to get to swim start, you had to walk through the woods, which would have been no fun in bare feet. I picked up a pair of throwaway sandals to wear for the walk. The water was 88 (31c) degrees—much too warm for wetsuits, as I expected. The water was uncomfortably warm at the waters edge, but once out in the lake, there were some cool spots, so it wasn’t bad. I did really well for the first ¾ of the swim, but when we made a u-turn and had to swim back towards swim exit, the sun was in my eyes and I had trouble finding the buoys and went a little off course. I finished in about 30 minutes, which is a little slower than I should be for a 1500m swim. Overall it was ok, though. Not having a wetsuit was weird at first, but eventually I forgot about it until the last 200 or so yards when I could feel my legs sinking.

Transition was terrible. I’m not sure why exactly, other than that I was a long way from bike out.
I recently got a new aero helmet and I can say that I am now a believer. I rode in an easier gear than usual and still managed 21 (35km/hr) mph over the course of the 25.5 (64km) mile course, without ever feeling as though I was hammering. Overall, it was a great bike leg for me. I felt really comfortable, was able to manage my nutrition well (2 bottles of Gatorade Pro+ two gels), and kept cool. My helmet has this really cool little opening on the top to pour water into, which then distributes it across your head along little channels, so it doesn’t just gush down your back or into your eyes.

T2 was equally terrible. I put on socks and laced my shoes instead of using speed laces since my calf has been a little sore lately.

The run course was nice. All within a park, mostly well-shaded and with lots of aid stations handing out ice water, Heed energy drinks (which is horrible, but cold enough to manage to drink), icy towels and bags of ice, so keeping cool other than in that unshaded section of the second half of the course was fine. At mile 2, we ran through a firehose spray, which was really nice. At mile 5.5, we ran through another that was a little too strong. It was like running through a monsoon rain instead of a gentle mist. Plus there were 3 inches of water on the ground which soaked my shoes and socks. I hate running in wet shoes, so I didn’t like that part at all.

I finished in 2:51, which is good for me—very happy to have finished in under 3h.

My friend Danny had a tough time. He had a mechanical issue on the bike (rookie mistake #1: check out your bike before the race) and then bonked/cramped at mile 1 of the run (rookie mistake #2—practice your hydration nutrition strategy). I passed him at about mile 1.5, even though his wave went off 30 minutes before me. He finished 101 out of 108 in his age group and while he was proud to finish his first Olympic, and rightly so, I think he was hoping for a better result. Hopefully he won’t be too disappointed.
2011-07-25 2:50 PM

User image

Champion
Brooklyn, NY
Great job, Judy! I’ll comment more later today. Got to go to a meeting.

Especially great about not walking. I think it’s so important to really try hard to run the whole way. If you’re injured, sometimes it’s the only way to get through, but I think people really hurt themselves with the whole, “I’m just going to walk a little” mentality. Once you go down that path, it’s really hard to get going again. A 30-second walk break becomes a minute, then one minute becomes two, and the next thing you know, you’re walking through large sections of a course you trained to run.

When I passed my friend Danny at the race yesterday, I could tell he was walking because he was tired and sore, not because he was hurt. I told him, “Walking doesn’t make it hurt any less, it only makes it take longer.”

I don’t think he appreciated it at the time, but he told me later that I was right.
2011-07-26 4:36 PM
in reply to: #3613936

User image

Expert
Las Vegas, NV

jmk-brooklyn - 2011-07-25 2:50 PM  I told him, “Walking doesn’t make it hurt any less, it only makes it take longer.”

Like.

I'll have to keep repeating this in my head during my runs.

Also- I'm very jealous of your helmet. Maybe someday I will own something so cool

Judy- Great job! I always feel like I'm running really slow during my triathlons, but I'm usually surprised to see I'm going faster than I think. Do you have any other races planned?

I'm still in Buffalo. We have been doing a lot of fun stuff with my parents & the kids. I've been running. But I've also been eating. A lot. Hopefully the damages are not too extensive. Planning on doing a 7 miler tomorrow. All this running has me missing my bike.

2011-07-26 7:03 PM

User image

Veteran
Maryland

Judy, great job on your race. I really got pumped up reading your report; thanks for sharing.

So I had a big breakthrough over the weekend. I finally had the opportunity to get my bike off the trainer and on to the road. This meant I was finally able to practice the dreaded combination of having my feet stuck to the bike with the clipless pedals while changing my balance by going aero. I spent a lot of time trying to overcome the fear of messing myself up with this combination, but I kept forcing myself to push the limits a bit more each time. I am pleased to report that while I came close a few times, I did not fall while doing this, and I was able to spend some decent chunks of time in aero. The pedals pretty much feel natural now, and I'm not really afraid of them. If I forget about them and start to fall, my natural panic and wild flailing pulls my feet just fine. What I didn't count on was how much strain on the upper back going aero causes, especially if you are tense from fear. My traps, neck, shoulders, and middle back were all pretty much shot the next, which didn't make my swim coach very happy. Oh well, having a breakthrough like this on the bike was really needed.

I hope everyone's week is going well. Sujith, I wish I could find a way to watch you or at least track you online for your race. I'm super excited for you.

2011-07-27 8:29 AM

User image

Champion
Brooklyn, NY
Johnny: One really good tip for riding aero is to concentrate on your elbows, not your hands. We’re used to our hands being our contact points and steering with them, but when you’re in aero, you should concentrate on keeping your weight on your elbows. If this is uncomfortable, adjust your bars or your position until you’re supporting your weight properly. The weight on your elbows will improve the stability of your bike and make steering more gradual and less twitchy. Think of your hands just as appendages and steer with your elbows. You shouldn’t really be using your hands to steer the bike. Being in aero is not conducive to agile steering, so be sure to look a long way down the road, choose your line well in advance and anticipate obstacles. It’s much better to pop up out of aero for a second while you negotiate a tight turn or pass someone then try to thread a difficult line in aero. Fabien Cancellara might be able to weave through narrow streets at 45mph without ever coming out of his tuck, but we can’t all be Spartacus.
2011-07-28 3:18 AM

Hi everybody,

Thanks Jonah for your comments on my transitions....

Also, well done on your race.. 35kmh in bike.. that's cool! Also great race Judy...congratulations!

Jonah, i was reading your comments on Aero Bars for Jhonny.. Got some tips.

Jhonny, I am not sure whether U could follow the race online. Will check and let you know. Good to hear from you anyway.

My race is on 31st. My partner, Niyaz is joining me today in Singapore. He just landed at the Air Port.

A couple of things:

1) I decided to try my running shoes on the bike. - I am getting down my normal pedals today. Reason being the route has many "U turns" and you have a small overhead bridge to cross right after transition ,and  I heard the race is really crowded. I will not be comfortable with my Clipped Shoes. Also, I will save some time in both transition, without not having to change shoes. -

2) I am also thinking of buying areo bars tomorrow, with the water bottle fixed. - Is it too late to get used to?

Waiting for some comments..

Cheers!

Sujih

2011-07-28 7:25 PM

User image

Veteran
Maryland

Sujith, I would recommend that this close to race day you don't get anything new you haven't gotten a chance to practice with. However, I may be biased because it took me a long time getting used to being comfortable on the aerobars.

On the topic of aerobar hydration, I was looking for some suggestions on how to run my setup. I now have two cages on the bike frame, and one of those big aerobar systems with two different compartments for either dividing drink types or having a frozen one to keep the bigger drink cool. I'm going out on Saturday for a 3hr ride to practice some nutrition, and I was thinking of filling the aerobar system with gatorade, and the two cage bottles with water. I was then going to have a gel and a pack of chomps with me. Any input on this?

2011-07-28 10:31 PM
in reply to: #3618218

User image

Champion
Brooklyn, NY
bandulasu - 2011-07-28 3:18 AM

Hi everybody,

Thanks Jonah for your comments on my transitions....

Also, well done on your race.. 35kmh in bike.. that's cool! Also great race Judy...congratulations!

Jonah, i was reading your comments on Aero Bars for Jhonny.. Got some tips.

Jhonny, I am not sure whether U could follow the race online. Will check and let you know. Good to hear from you anyway.

My race is on 31st. My partner, Niyaz is joining me today in Singapore. He just landed at the Air Port.

A couple of things:

1) I decided to try my running shoes on the bike. - I am getting down my normal pedals today. Reason being the route has many "U turns" and you have a small overhead bridge to cross right after transition ,and  I heard the race is really crowded. I will not be comfortable with my Clipped Shoes. Also, I will save some time in both transition, without not having to change shoes. -

2) I am also thinking of buying areo bars tomorrow, with the water bottle fixed. - Is it too late to get used to?

Waiting for some comments..

Cheers!

Sujih

Hi Sujith-- it's too close to race day to switch to aerobars. Wait till the race is over to make the change. A crowded course is no place to try out aerobars.
2011-07-28 10:39 PM
in reply to: #3619847

User image

Champion
Brooklyn, NY
johnnyfulltime - 2011-07-28 7:25 PM

Sujith, I would recommend that this close to race day you don't get anything new you haven't gotten a chance to practice with. However, I may be biased because it took me a long time getting used to being comfortable on the aerobars.

On the topic of aerobar hydration, I was looking for some suggestions on how to run my setup. I now have two cages on the bike frame, and one of those big aerobar systems with two different compartments for either dividing drink types or having a frozen one to keep the bigger drink cool. I'm going out on Saturday for a 3hr ride to practice some nutrition, and I was thinking of filling the aerobar system with gatorade, and the two cage bottles with water. I was then going to have a gel and a pack of chomps with me. Any input on this?

Depending on how leak-proof the aerobar system is, you might want to think about having the water in the aero system and the Gatorade in the bottles. Some of those systems can splash when you go over bumps and you're better off splashing water over your handlebars and front wheel than Gatorade.

In terms of the amounts of calories, that's probably ok. It's not a race, so bring along as much as you think you'll need. Chomps might be tough to open and eat while you're riding.

2011-07-29 7:30 AM
in reply to: #3620041

User image

Veteran
Maryland

jmk-brooklyn - 2011-07-28 11:39 PM  Depending on how leak-proof the aerobar system is, you might want to think about having the water in the aero system and the Gatorade in the bottles. Some of those systems can splash when you go over bumps and you're better off splashing water over your handlebars and front wheel than Gatorade.

It's stuff like this that makes me love this mentor group program so much. I'm happy to let you teach me this one and not learn the hard way. Thanks.

2011-07-29 5:21 PM

User image

Expert
Las Vegas, NV
I'll be doing a 5K tomorrow. I haven't done a stand alone 5K in a while, so I'll be interested to see how it goes. Time to beat is 27 minutes.
2011-07-30 10:06 AM

User image

Expert
Las Vegas, NV
27:41. I went out too hard in beginning. My first mile was 7:50, but I couldn't hold the pace. I went out with my mom's friend who is training for a marathon, so we jogged the course before the race started and then jogged it again after the course to get in some miles. So 9.3 miles for today. My next running goal is to try and get my 5K time around 25. Unfortunately, I don't have the help with running that I do with cycling.
2011-07-31 5:18 PM

User image

Collierville

Hey Everybody,

It has been a while since I have written, and for good reason. Life has taken over haha! I love training and racing, but for now, I am going to put my racing on hold.

I am still trying to keep a good foundation and hopefully will be able to do another tri this season, but I am struggling trying to keep my training goals, my rediculous flying schedule, and my marriage intact!

So, this past month and a half has been an adjustment for me, and triathlon racing has taken a back seat for now. I am still going to try to keep tabs on the forum, and am still very happy to see everyone's passion for being active and healthy!

Best of luck everybody, and hopefully I will talk to you all soon!

Phil

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » jmk-brooklyn's group-- FULL Rss Feed  

of 16