BT Development Mentor Program Archives » jmk-brooklyn's group-- FULL Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 16

2011-04-30 12:18 PM
in reply to: #3471173

Subject: RE: jmk-brooklyn's group-- OPEN!

Hi Jonah,

Thanks! I think I got it. I presume that they are taking the scale as 1- 10 here, though they haven't mentioned it specifically.

Will come back soon with more querries.

Regards

Sujith

2011-04-30 5:29 PM
in reply to: #3434844

User image

Expert
Las Vegas, NV

Finished Iron Girl today in 1hr 52mins (800 meter swim, 15 mile(25K) bike, 5K run). Even though it has been warming up here lately, the weather became cold & windy Fri and stayed that way for the race. I was not looking forward to the OWS because I figured the water would be freezing, but luckily it was fine. Had a good swim considering I've done almost no swim training this year- (I plan to start doing a local swim group again once I'm on summer break). Did the swim in 20 mins (2.30 pace). The run was good for me at 28 mins, but I'm disappointed in the bike. I did the course Tues in 47 mins, but today I did it in 53mins, averaging 15.8 mph. It's still a big improvement for me (I averaged 13 mph last year) but I knew I made some mistakes and was capable of a better time. Should have pushed a harder gear on the flats, but it was very windy (even a head wind on the big downhill!) and I didn't play my cards right. Still finished ok 43/125 in my AG & 165 out of 640 OA.

2011-04-30 8:31 PM
in reply to: #3475097

User image

Champion
Brooklyn, NY
jpbis26 - 2011-04-30 5:29 PM

Finished Iron Girl today in 1hr 52mins (800 meter swim, 15 mile(25K) bike, 5K run). Even though it has been warming up here lately, the weather became cold & windy Fri and stayed that way for the race. I was not looking forward to the OWS because I figured the water would be freezing, but luckily it was fine. Had a good swim considering I've done almost no swim training this year- (I plan to start doing a local swim group again once I'm on summer break). Did the swim in 20 mins (2.30 pace). The run was good for me at 28 mins, but I'm disappointed in the bike. I did the course Tues in 47 mins, but today I did it in 53mins, averaging 15.8 mph. It's still a big improvement for me (I averaged 13 mph last year) but I knew I made some mistakes and was capable of a better time. Should have pushed a harder gear on the flats, but it was very windy (even a head wind on the big downhill!) and I didn't play my cards right. Still finished ok 43/125 in my AG & 165 out of 640 OA.

43/125 is excellent-- great job! Sorry about the bike, but remember that when you did the course in 47 minutes the other day, it wasn't after an 800m swim.

I think knowing how hard to push on the bike is the hardest part of this sport. It's the easiest place to pick up a LOT of time, but the question is how much do you give away on the run for every mph faster you go on the bike? It's something that even pros struggle with. If you watched the 2010 Kona IM, you see Craig Alexander struggle with that very question. A bunch of top pros are way ahead of him on the bike, and he debates accelerating to catch them or just staying back and counting on his amazing run to make up the gap. In the end, he decides to stick to his planned pace on the bike instead of "burning too many matches". He finished 7th, I think.

Nevertheless, that's a great day. I hope you're proud of yourself, even if you think you could have done better in spots.
2011-04-30 8:37 PM

User image

Champion
Brooklyn, NY
My buddy and I ran 8 miles today. He's a little slower than me, so he's actually really good to train with. I have a tendency to go out too fast, so although I could certainly have run faster than I did, it's nice to have someone rein me in a little.

THere was a bike race in the park as we were running, which was fun to watch. Wow, were those guys fast! Afterwards, I took my son to his soccer game, which he won 4-0. There are two 7-year old Brazilian kids on his team who inevitably account for all the scoring, and it's up to the other kids to play defense and basically try not to get in the two Brazilian kids way too much.

I was planning to ride tomorrow, but I had a death in the family and I'm headed to PA for the funeral tomorrow. Life intervenes sometimes.

Hope everyone's having a great weekend.
2011-04-30 8:49 PM
in reply to: #3474515

User image

Champion
Brooklyn, NY
Subject: RE: jmk-brooklyn's group-- CLOSED
johnnyfulltime - 2011-04-30 5:14 AM

I don't have any clue about anything on the bike, especially shifting, but this article was quite helpful. http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/cms/article-detail.asp?articleid=... think I need to read it a few more times, stare at my bike, read it again, go out and ride, and then maybe reading it will make more sense, but I think most people aren't as dumb as I am about the bike and this will make sense more quickly. So far it seems to be a really good article, I'm just having trouble wrapping my mind around how all of these things work.

That article was interesting, but definitely a little confusing.

Think about shifting this way: if you watch a tachometer in a car, it always stays at roughly the same rpm's. On your bike, you are then engine, but the principle is the same. You should find a cadence that feels comfortable to you and try, more or less, to maintain that cadence. If you're going uphill, you'll need to shift into an easier gear to allow you to maintain that same rpm, when you're going downhill, you'll need to shift into a larger chainring (front gears) or smaller cogs (rear gears) or your legs will just spin out.

Some people pedal naturally at a higher cadence (90+ rpms) while others are slower. Find what works for you. You should try to be, at a minimum, above 80 or so. If you're pedaling at much below that, you're probably in too hard a gear.

As far as shifting, I think most beginners make the mistake of not shifting enough. The article alludes to the fact that, between your front and rear gears, there are some gear ratios that are identical and close to it. Eventually, that will be important to figure out, but for now, just get used to shifting whenever you find your cadence going up or down significantly. You should get a bike computer with a cadence sensor, if you don't already have one. The Cateye Astrale 8 is probably the least expensive, high quality cadence-enabled computer out there.
2011-05-01 7:43 AM
in reply to: #3475097

User image

Regular
Houston, TX

Great job! I'd be thrilled with a time/finish like that. So far, I am decidedly a BOPer. But, I keep improving! Congrats!

2011-05-01 7:45 AM

User image

Regular
Houston, TX
I out in a great 7 mile run yesterday. I was still out of town & it was windy & hilly, but the temp was in the mid60s. I ran it in just under 1:30 which is a great time for me.

This morning I have my OWS clinic to prepare for next week's tri! I hope the water isn't too chilly. And, I'm nervous!
2011-05-01 3:06 PM

User image

Regular
Houston, TX
Jonah, thanks for the cycling information. I do need to get a computer that tracks my cadence. I noticed the others in the group were pedaling a lot faster than i was & I wasn't sure why.

I did my OWS clinic today. I panicked! I had to hang on to a canoe for awhile & then headed back for shore. After chatting with the coach, I tried a 2nd short swim & felt much better. I went out a 3rd time...and did the whole 500 meters! Yeah! I was really to the point where I'd decided I just wasn't going to do this next weekend, so I'm glad I stuck with it & figured out that I COULD do it!

I'm still nervous, but hope I have a great time next Saturday.
2011-05-01 5:02 PM
in reply to: #3475656

User image

Expert
Las Vegas, NV
imsmiley88 - 2011-05-01 7:43 AM

Great job! I'd be thrilled with a time/finish like that. So far, I am decidedly a BOPer. But, I keep improving! Congrats!

Congrats on your swim & run! You are going to rock your first tri and have so much fun. It seems like you have a lot of heart & dedication.

Last year I was a BOPer at Iron Girl. I came in 436 out of 645 OA in 2010. I swam & biked alot slower & had to walk parts of the 5K. So it is totally possible to move to MOP or FOP if you put in the training, I've seem many stories like that on BT. I am happy with my improvement, but in many ways last year's Iron Girl was a lot more fun & made me feel more accomplished. As I come into my 2nd seasn, I have more expectations of myself and that's not always a good thing.

2011-05-01 6:03 PM

User image

Collierville

I'D LIKE TO JOIN YOUR GROUP IF THERE IS STILL ROOM

NAME:

Phil

STORY:

I am a 26 yr old triathlon newbie from the Memphis, TN area. I have always been an active person. I ran cross country in high school, did some fairly regular mountain biking throughout college, but never swam seriously. I am hoping to complete two Tris this summer and to keep triathlon as a part of my life for however long my body and my wife will let me .

FAMILY STATUS:

Married for about four years with a 2 year old lab mix

CURRENT TRAINING:

I am a pilot for the US Air Force, so my training plan has to remain fluid based on where I am going on my trips. Despite my work schedule I am able to keep a pretty consistent 5 day a week training plan that is swim concentrated. I plan to do two bricks a week as part of the 5 day one swim/bike and one bike/run. 

2011 RACES:

Memphis in May Sprint Triathlon and Showman Shooter Triathlon (both in the local Memphis TN area.)

I am looking forward to chatting with everyone about the challenges that racing and training bring. I am also hoping to be able to bounce questions off of you regarding gear, balancing training and family, and just the whole triathlon process. Looking forward to hearing back from you.

2011-05-01 8:20 PM

User image

Champion
Brooklyn, NY
Subject: RE: jmk-brooklyn's group-- FULL
Sure thing, Phil--the more the merrier! And thanks for your service. What do you fly?

2011-05-01 9:55 PM

New user

Clarksville, Tn
How do I add everyone as friends so I can look at everyone elses workout and keep track better? I have a free membership and was wondering if you had to pay to see friends or add them. Hope everyone is well and training is going good.
2011-05-02 5:11 AM

User image

Veteran
Maryland

Last week was kind of rough for me. It was the last week of classes, so I was super busy studying and writing papers. On top of that my computer crashed and my daughter was sick. I misses more workouts that I really wanted to. On the plus side the whole shifting gears thing really clicked for my long ride on Saturday. Everything I have been doing in regards to shifting was completely wrong, so thanks for helping me get straight. The scale this morning was kind as well, with a nice 5lb weight loss this week (I'm still fat enough that this isn't unhealthy.) Of course last night ended up being really rough with the neighbors blasting music and my daughter waking up crying multiple times. At 2:30am I realized I wasn't going to be getting enough sleep to manage through the day if I got up at 4:00 to do a ride. I'm a bit bummed at starting a new week with a missed workout already. 

What are people's thoughts on the compromise between sleep and training? I realize to fit my training in I have to sacrifice some sleep or there just isn't enough time left in the day. I try to grab 7 hours when I'm training pretty hard (I think my body could really handle 8-9 on some of these long days), but I can knock that back to 6.5 if I need to. Anything 6 or under and I'm pretty miserable all day, and multiple days at 6 or less and I get sick pretty easily.

2011-05-02 7:08 AM

User image

Regular
Houston, TX
I think you made a good call on the sleep today. I personally need about 8 hours. My daughter is older, so that isn't a problem (unless she is sick). I go to bed at 9:30 if I have an early workout. So far, my schedule has let me get enough sleep.
2011-05-02 10:06 AM

User image

Champion
Brooklyn, NY
I always have to remind myself that your body doesn’t adapt when you’re training. It adapts after you’re finished training, especially when you’re sleeping. So no sleep, or not enough sleep essentially wastes the effort of your hard training.
Even with that, I know I don’t get enough sleep. I typically don’t get to the gym until 9 or so, so I’m rarely home until 10:30 and by then I’m a little too keyed up to go right to bed. I try really hard to get a minimum of 7h/night. Anything less than that over a couple of days and I start to really feel it.
The biggest issue I have with lack of sleep makes me really hungry and saps my willpower to resist overeating. It’s a really bad combination.
2011-05-02 10:15 AM

User image

Champion
Brooklyn, NY
To add friends to your training blog:

First, click on the settings button at the top (the “wrench” icon—or “spanner” for you boys across the pond)

Then click on the “Training Blog Customization” tab.

Then click on the “Friends” tab on the sub menu that pops up.

You have space to add 60 people. To add someone, simply click on the “…” box next to the field and enter their username (i.e jmk-brooklyn), then click “GO”. Their name should appear in the box below.
Highlight the name and click on “Submit”. When you close the box, their username should appear in the text box and when you return to your training log, you should see their username (and photo, if you’ve selected that option) in the box on the left side of your training log.
You can click on the person’s username or photo to go directly to their log.

Hope that helps. If you’re having trouble, let me know and we’ll figure it out, or you can IM Ron or Marmadaddy and they’ll set you straight.

2011-05-02 6:31 PM

User image

Champion
Brooklyn, NY
One other thing about shifting: you should always avoid "cross-chaining". Cross chaining is when you are on the big ring (outer gear) on the front and the largest cog (innermost gear) in the back (or vice versa). When that happens, your chain is unnecessarily stretched and you'll probably hear it rubbing. Aside from the chain wear, it's just inefficient gearing. If you find yourself going to your easier (inner) gears on he back, try dropping to your smaller chainring up front instead. And once you're in your small ring up front, if you find the road getting easier, instead of shifting to your smaller gears in back, pop back onto your big ring up front.

Make sense?

Edited by jmk-brooklyn 2011-05-02 6:33 PM
2011-05-03 10:16 AM

User image

Champion
Brooklyn, NY
Every year, I say I’m not gonna do this, and every year, I do.

I looked at the calendar the other day and said, “Yikes! My first tri is a month away!” I have been doing a lot of running, and I think fitness-wise, I’m in much better shape than I was last year or even at this time the year before, but I have not done nearly the amount of swimming and cycling volume than I should have.

To that end, I swam last night. I did 2500y total, with two 500’s sandwiching one 1000y, all at a comfortable pace that required some effort to maintain. (on a scale of 1-10 effort wise, I’d say it was around an 8 for the 1st 500 and then 7’s for the next two sets.) I finished it up with another 500y of drills, and then went and did about 30 minutes on the stationary bike, just as a cool-down.

Tonight, I’ll ride the trainer for a couple of hours, I hope, and then Wednesday, I’ll do a long run (9 miles).

I have a short duathlon on Sunday to open my multi-sport racing season. The race is a 2 mile run/12 mile bike/2 mile run. It’s going to be fast and challenging. My strategy is basically: Try not to get left too far behind on the first run, pass as many people as I can on the bike, then try to hang on during the second run and avoid being re-passed by as many people in my AG as possible. I’ll be hoping for a FOP finish in my AG, but MOP is more likely.
2011-05-03 11:09 AM
in reply to: #3479605

User image

Regular
Houston, TX
HI, Jonah. It must be nice to be in that kind of shape where you can just jump in again like that! I hope you have a great duathlon this weekend!

This morning, I went swimming. I did 50 yd warmup and then 550 yds. I timed it (tri is 500 meters this weekend) for the first time. It was just under 16 minutes, which I'm pretty happy with. I did 275 yards at my 1st tri in 7:22.

After that, I did 3x50s while swimming slow out & fast back. For the first time, I timed my 'fast' 25 yards. They were 30 seconds and 28 seconds. Not super fast, but that's where I am! My daughter (10) is on a summer swim team & I've agreed to participate in the parent's swim league at the practice meet in a week & a half. A year ago, I couldn't have imagined doing this... not even just for the swim, but getting in front of everyone while in a swimsuit! I'll just do my best!
2011-05-03 12:10 PM
in reply to: #3479730

User image

Champion
Brooklyn, NY
imsmiley88 - 2011-05-03 11:09 AM

HI, Jonah. It must be nice to be in that kind of shape where you can just jump in again like that! I hope you have a great duathlon this weekend!

This morning, I went swimming. I did 50 yd warmup and then 550 yds. I timed it (tri is 500 meters this weekend) for the first time. It was just under 16 minutes, which I'm pretty happy with. I did 275 yards at my 1st tri in 7:22.

After that, I did 3x50s while swimming slow out & fast back. For the first time, I timed my 'fast' 25 yards. They were 30 seconds and 28 seconds. Not super fast, but that's where I am! My daughter (10) is on a summer swim team & I've agreed to participate in the parent's swim league at the practice meet in a week & a half. A year ago, I couldn't have imagined doing this... not even just for the swim, but getting in front of everyone while in a swimsuit! I'll just do my best!

Nice swim, Dana.

I'm lucky that I learned to swim as a kid. I never competed, but always took lessons every summer until I was probably in junior high or so. Since I started tri's, it's come pretty easy to me, which is a blessing, since running is really really hard.

But, I have a friend named Kristin who never learned to swim growing up. When she decided to do tri's a few years ago, she had to learn to swim from the beginning. Her first race was a short local sprint and she was incredibly nervous about the swim, but she got through it. Since then (2007, I think) she's raced three IM races, a bunch of 70.3's, and is training for Escape from Alcatraz next month, which is probably one of the toughest OWS's in the US.

So, no matter where you start with swimming, you can go as far as you want.
2011-05-03 10:41 PM

Regular
Hey everyone, sorry I haven't posted in a while but I've been really busy lately. My last day of class was yesterday so I've been studying (actually I've been partying more than studying) a lot recently. I haven't had much time to train lately but today I went to a spin class and got a really good workout, although I didn't feel to great. I have to crack down for finals the next week and a half but hopefully I'll be able to squeeze in some workouts. Once all this is over I can begin training more consistently and be a more active member. I'll try to write about my workouts if I can, in the meantime I hope that everyone is training more than me!

2011-05-04 1:40 AM
in reply to: #3480944

User image

Expert
Las Vegas, NV

klove13 - 2011-05-03 10:41 PM Hey everyone, sorry I haven't posted in a while but I've been really busy lately. My last day of class was yesterday so I've been studying (actually I've been partying more than studying) a lot recently. I haven't had much time to train lately but today I went to a spin class and got a really good workout, although I didn't feel to great. I have to crack down for finals the next week and a half but hopefully I'll be able to squeeze in some workouts. Once all this is over I can begin training more consistently and be a more active member. I'll try to write about my workouts if I can, in the meantime I hope that everyone is training more than me!

Party while you can! I miss those day

So I MUST get back on track with my eating. The scale is not telling me nice things lately. I know what I have to do...sigh. But I need to find the will power to do it. Looking to lose 15 lbs before my HIM in Oct. Need to get started...

2011-05-04 8:34 AM

User image

Champion
Brooklyn, NY

X2—enjoy yourself. I wish I had been as active as you when I was in college. I got my act together a little by the time I graduated, but when I look at photos of myself from Sophomore/Junior year? Yikes.

The hardest part is getting started. I know that's a huge cliche, but it's kind of true. Once you start and you begin seeing the results, it’s much easier to stay on track. I think the first five pounds and the last five pounds are the hardest. I’m trying to get to 175 and I’ve been hovering around 177-178 for a couple of weeks. I just can’t seem to knock off those last few pounds.

My wife had a softball game and book club last night, so after I put the boy to bed, I set up the trainer in the living room and rode for 2 hours while I watched “The Biggest Loser”. I’m a few weeks behind and need to catch up. I did intervals where I picked up my pace during commercials. And WOW does that show have a lot of commercials.
2011-05-04 10:35 AM

User image

Regular
Everywhere

I'm so not ready for Sunday   hardly done any running in ages, just need to knuckle down and get on with it. I will finish it but i don't think it will be a good time will be surprised if its under 1.30.

2011-05-04 6:48 PM
in reply to: #3481586

User image

Veteran
Maryland
Blinddave - 2011-05-04 11:35 AM

I'm so not ready for Sunday   hardly done any running in ages, just need to knuckle down and get on with it. I will finish it but i don't think it will be a good time will be surprised if its under 1.30.

Your logs show a really good bike pace (at least in my mind). As long as you don't get another flat and don't completely fall apart on the run you should be good. What kind of pace do you normally run coming off the bike?

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » jmk-brooklyn's group-- FULL Rss Feed  

of 16