BT Development Mentor Program Archives » jmk-brooklyn's group-- FULL Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 16

2011-04-27 11:15 AM
in reply to: #3467921

User image

Champion
Brooklyn, NY
Subject: RE: jmk-brooklyn's group-- OPEN!
imsmiley88 - 2011-04-26 8:48 PM

I have been really proud of my workouts the past 2 days. I am on a trip to Oklahoma & had grand exercising plans...but we're having floods here! Thankfully, they live on a hill so we are fine. But I couldn't make it to the gym & tonight's group bike ride was out.

So, what did I do? I found another way! Yesterday, there was about an hour & a half in the morning when it wasn't raining. So, I went running on the hill! It is a gravel road & was washed out in places. But I did a .3 mile loop up & down the hill for 5.5 miles! Then the thunder & rain started up again.

Today, I was so disappointed that my plans weren't going to work out. After being sad, I asked my sister-in-law what kind of equipment she had. Answer: elliptical, step, & mat in the garage. So, I went to the garage & did 35 HARD minutes on the elliptical. Then I took the step out to the driveway. From the hill, I could look down on the flooded Illinois River. I put in my headset & did 30 minutes of step! I used to LOVE step, but haven't done it in years. It was wonderful!

I brought the mat into the house but haven't used it yet. I'll do some crunches before bed. And, I'm hoping I can get to the gym tomorrow! There is evidently a wonderful lady who teaches most of the classes.

So, how about you? What do you do when your plans fall through? Do you give up? Or find another way? I am really proud of my attitude of getting it done...no matter what!

How bad do you want it? That's my new slogan.

Glad to hear you're safe from the flooding, and great job at finding a way. I have a friend who went to an all-girls school in DC that had the slogan "I will find a way or make one". Always liked that.

I always have to work around my family's schedule. That's kind of the deal I made with them and with myself. Sometimes that means I don't get to the pool until 9pm, and sometimes it means I spend 3 hours on the trainer after my son goes to sleep, but I have to be creative often. I try to "make a way" as often as I can, but sometimes I have to miss a workout. It sucks, but I remind myself that this is a hobby. But it feels awfully good when I can find a creative way to train when life conspires against me. I've had some really interesting runs when I used to travel for business, and once I swam for about an hour at a hotel pool in Montreal when it was below freezing and the pool was only about 50 feet across.

2011-04-27 11:40 AM
in reply to: #3466063

User image

Champion
Brooklyn, NY
johnnyfulltime - 2011-04-26 7:24 AM

I had a good run this morning. I've been using a treadmill some of the time to save my knees the pounding from the concrete, and being able to pace on the treadmill has been nice. I've been backing my pace down from 10 minute miles to 9:30 miles, and I haven't had any problems keeping up so far. In fact, I really enjoy running at the faster pace. Maybe I'm just getting in better shape and the lower weight is nice on the legs, but I don't hurt so much anymore after the runs.

The bike is a different story. To get in enough bike workouts I have to get up really early and use the trainer in my basement. Does anyone else feel nothing but pain while on a trainer? I get a bit sore while out riding, but on the trainer it feels like constant pain and pressure, and things go numb quickly that I really wish wouldn't go numb. The trainer sessions are definitely not enjoyable.

My swim workout just isn't going to happen today. My daughter has pink eye so I can't drop her off at the pool's child care facility, even though I'm pretty sure she got it from there. The poor thing looks so miserable.

I hope everyone else is having a great day. Jackie, are you managing to stay calm, or are the pre-race jitters starting to creep in?

Ugh-- sorry about your daughter's pinkeye. Hope she gets better soon.

It's amazing what a big difference weight loss makes on your running. I can feel a significant difference in how beat up my legs feel between 185 lbs and just 5-10 lbs lighter.

The numbness thing is concerning. Have you had a bike fit? I'm not a disciple in the "church of the One True Bike Fit". Some people get really obsessive about bike fits, as if to ride a bike that is not professionally fit for to you, at great expense, is tantamount to a mortal sin. I think that bike fit is important—critical, even, but I also believe that 90% of bikes can be fit to 90% of people and that an experienced person at a good local bike shop ought to be able to get you 90% to where you need to be to be comfortable and effective on your bike for very little money. If you want to go the motion-capture animation with wattage and pedal stroke analysis, and so on, then great, but I don’t think it’s a requirement, especially if you’re a beginner.
That said, you shouldn’t be numb after a short time. I’d bring your bike to the shop and see what they say. Do you have something under your front wheel? If you don’t that could be the problem. If your bike only hurts to ride on the trainer, and not outside, make sure the wheels are at the same level. The only time I've had numbness was after a hundred miles or so in the saddle.

2011-04-27 1:25 PM
in reply to: #3467446

User image

Champion
Brooklyn, NY
RoyBird - 2011-04-26 4:16 PM

Now a question to anyone and everyone. Has anyone had any trouble with their IT bands. Mine has always ached/hurt ever since I was about 18 but it either goes away or I forget about it. While training for my HM this year I remember it aching at one point but then it went until after the race, when it totally killed. Is there anything else I can do to speed up the recovery (other than buying a foam roller) and prevent it from hurting in the future?

Before I read your last sentence, I was about say, "get a foam roller". Why don't you want to get one? I've been lucky to not have IT band problems, but whenever I do, a few minutes with the roller and it feels better. You could always get regular deep-tissue massages, but I don't think that even regular stretching will prevent it completely if you're prone to those kinds of problems.

Is a "turbo" the same thing as a bike trainer? That's a MUCH better term than "trainer". When people in England say "trainers", they mean "running shoes", right? The English guy from the Paris tri club that I ran with last week told me to meet him outside the track and that he'd be wearing orange trainers.
2011-04-27 8:25 PM
in reply to: #3434844

User image

Regular
Houston, TX
I think I added where I'm from now...Houston! I have only been using BT to track miles, so I have a lot to learn about the site. I don't know how to add friends at this point, so maybe someone can talk me through it.

I had another great workout today. Still out of town in flooded Oklahoma, but the waters went down a lot today, I was able to get to the gym & could pay $5 for the day. My sil said the main teacher is fantastic, so I was planning on trying 2 of her classes. My plan was a kettle bell class (w/another teacher...something I've been wanting to try!), then.a core class & then an advanced step class. I was excited! Unfortunately, the lady wasn't there & her classes were cancelled.

So, I did the kettle bell class. I thought it would be very aerobic, but was more like a strength class. Well, I need that, too!

Then, I hoped on the treadmill. I didn't have my iPod as I thought I'd be in class. But, the treadmills overlook the basketball area & it was fun to watch.

Today's purpose (every workout needs a purpose, right?) was speed. I did 3.3 miles with about half of that at a 10:30 speed. My usual speed is 12:30-13:30, so this was great for me! And, I ran one entire mile in 10:31!!!

I'm hoping to go on my first group bike ride tomorrow night. It varies, but my sil says they are usually 20+ miles. At this point, my longest ride has been 20. And, I'm not used to the hills. It should be a terrific workout!

My next tri is a week from Sunday!!
2011-04-27 8:42 PM

New user

Clarksville, Tn
Took yesterday off. Had a pt test for the fire department. Passed it. Interview next Tuesday. Biked today for half an hour. Trunk twists 2x50 with 6 lb axe. 30 sit ups. Jump rope for 10 mins. Good sweat. Hopefully won't be 340 lbs for long. Had talapia and steamed vegetables for dinner. Hmm.. Fish is not so bad. Hope everyone is having a good day. Good luck with your training. God bless.
2011-04-28 7:14 AM
in reply to: #3468981

Hi Jonah,

Thanks for the reply and updating all of us about the group...

Yes..you got it right! My first/calling name is Sujith.

I had a query for you in my very first post about some jargon in the training schedule I imported. I just sent it to you... or is there any other person that I can send it to?

I do not know whether you will have time...any way

My tomorrow's schedule is copied below and am confused with the RPE (Low, middle, upper..etc) thing for the bike.

Bike ME
Muscular Endurance
50 DD
WU: 15'
MS: 5x3' w/ 1' RI: ??? - What does this mean? and also " low RPE 7, middle RPE 7 , upper RPE 7...etc..?( I know what RPE is, but what they mean by these phrases I am not sure of)
#1 End at low RPE 7
#2 End at middle RPE 7
#3 End at upper RPE 7
#4 End at lower RPE 8
#5 Build to RPE 8 in first 45s and hold - what do they mean here?
CD: 15'

Regards

Sujith

2011-04-28 10:14 AM

Leg cramps...does anybody get leg cramps when swimming...I get them towards the end of a workout.

Judy

2011-04-28 10:31 AM

User image

Champion
Brooklyn, NY
Hi Sujith:

OK, so: “WU” means warm-up. So warm up for 15 minutes.
“MS” means “main set”, so your main set here consists of 5 intervals of 3 minutes each with a one minute RI (recovery interval). Finish with a 15 minute CD (cool down).
As for the RPE stuff, if you look at #1, think it means that at the end of that particular interval, you should be at a level 7 of RPE. I’m not sure what scale you’re using. Are you using a 1-10 scale, where 10 is the hardest? That would make sense.
Does that help?

Well, I am a jet-lagged mess, it turns out. I haven’t slept well the last couple of days. I planned to go to the gym last night and then update my logs when I got home, but I fell asleep while I was putting my son to bed and woke up at 10pm. So we’ll try again tomorrow.
2011-04-28 10:35 AM
in reply to: #3471114

User image

Champion
Brooklyn, NY
JLAshley - 2011-04-28 10:14 AM

Leg cramps...does anybody get leg cramps when swimming...I get them towards the end of a workout.

Judy

I haven't gotten them, but maybe you’re tensing your muscles too hard while you’re swimming? Other than when you’re applying the effort to kick, you should be fairly relaxed and smooth in the water. Your kick, especially as a triathlete, is more about helping to keep you level in the water, rather than propelling you forward. You need to save your legs for the bike and run, so you shouldn’t be kicking as hard as you would if you were competing in a swimming race.
2011-04-28 10:37 AM
in reply to: #3470237

User image

Champion
Brooklyn, NY
imsmiley88 - 2011-04-27 8:25 PM

I think I added where I'm from now...Houston! I have only been using BT to track miles, so I have a lot to learn about the site. I don't know how to add friends at this point, so maybe someone can talk me through it.

I had another great workout today. Still out of town in flooded Oklahoma, but the waters went down a lot today, I was able to get to the gym & could pay $5 for the day. My sil said the main teacher is fantastic, so I was planning on trying 2 of her classes. My plan was a kettle bell class (w/another teacher...something I've been wanting to try!), then.a core class & then an advanced step class. I was excited! Unfortunately, the lady wasn't there & her classes were cancelled.

So, I did the kettle bell class. I thought it would be very aerobic, but was more like a strength class. Well, I need that, too!

Then, I hoped on the treadmill. I didn't have my iPod as I thought I'd be in class. But, the treadmills overlook the basketball area & it was fun to watch.

Today's purpose (every workout needs a purpose, right?) was speed. I did 3.3 miles with about half of that at a 10:30 speed. My usual speed is 12:30-13:30, so this was great for me! And, I ran one entire mile in 10:31!!!

I'm hoping to go on my first group bike ride tomorrow night. It varies, but my sil says they are usually 20+ miles. At this point, my longest ride has been 20. And, I'm not used to the hills. It should be a terrific workout!

My next tri is a week from Sunday!!

My parents live in Houston! We were there last Thanksgiving. They have a place in Galveston and that's where we spend most of the time when we visit. Have you raced Lonestar? That's my all-time favorite race.

Great workout-- good job getting to the gym and making the most of workouts on the road. I'm excited to hear about your group ride.
2011-04-28 10:54 AM
in reply to: #3470275

User image

Champion
Brooklyn, NY
Cdbranson - 2011-04-27 8:42 PM

Took yesterday off. Had a pt test for the fire department. Passed it. Interview next Tuesday. Biked today for half an hour. Trunk twists 2x50 with 6 lb axe. 30 sit ups. Jump rope for 10 mins. Good sweat. Hopefully won't be 340 lbs for long. Had talapia and steamed vegetables for dinner. Hmm.. Fish is not so bad. Hope everyone is having a good day. Good luck with your training. God bless.

Congratulations on passing your PT test for the FD!. What did the test consist of?

2011-04-28 12:52 PM
in reply to: #3471114

User image

Regular
Everywhere
JLAshley - 2011-04-28 4:14 PM

Judy

i sometimes get them if Ive been pushing off the wall to hard.

2011-04-28 10:16 PM

User image

Champion
Brooklyn, NY
Wow, was it hot in the gym. I should have run outside because it's a pretty nice night. I wanted to run six miles, but I had to stop after 4+. I was really starting to overheat.

Time to start running outside consistently I think.

I'm going to run 8 miles with my buddy on Saturday. Sunday's going to be hit or miss b/c of a death in the family. Have to go out to central PA for the funeral.
2011-04-29 8:21 AM
in reply to: #3471188

User image

Regular
Houston, TX
jmk-brooklyn - 2011-04-28 10:37 AM

My parents live in Houston! We were there last Thanksgiving. They have a place in Galveston and that's where we spend most of the time when we visit. Have you raced Lonestar? That's my all-time favorite race.

Great workout-- good job getting to the gym and making the most of workouts on the road. I'm excited to hear about your group ride.

No, I haven't one Lonestar...just did my first tri this month & it was up in the Dallas area. But, I probably will one day!

My bike ride was incredible! First of all, I was surprised that the other riders weren't more friendly. I got there about 25 minutes early & am kind of shy so just stood around. Nobody approached me for the longest time. Fnally, someone did. She had her 12 yo with her & came up to meet me saying this was her first ride. Ha! So, she's not a regular. Anyway, after we started talking several others came & said 'hi'.

One of the ladies said she'd be in charge of the slower/shorter group. We'd be going 18 miles while the other group would be going 30. I was kind of disappointed as I wanted to go farther, but it turned out to be a wise decision to stick with that group.

I am still in Oklahoma and we are in a small, college town. We headed out of town towards the country. It was hilly from the start! But, for the 1st 2 miles I stuck at the front next to the lady, Jen, who would be leading our slower group. I thought that's what I was supposed to do!

About mile 2, we started a bigger hill & I got passes quickly. A guy stopped & chatted for a bit, but then pulled away with the faster riders. I was left all alone.

When I got to the top of the hill, the road split in 3 ways & I couldn't see anyone. I looked behind me and realized I wasn't at the back of the pack after all. There were a few riders behind me. So, I stopped & waited.

After that, I was quickly left by myself again. A lady rider came back & told me to stop at the next stop sign. Jen circled back then & I met her. Then the other lady caught up with us & said the other riders had turned around. It might have been just the mom/son or maybe there was a 3rd rider...I'm not sure.

So, the 3 of us took off again. There was another steep hill & then a fast, downhill curve they warned me about. There was also a section with sand on the road and Jen warned me not to brake there.

I got through that area & we met the rest of our slow group at a little gas station. We stopped for water & fuel.

Jen told me to eat all of my ful supply as we had a big hill ahead. And, she warned me that since I didn't have clip less shoes, just tennis shoes, I'd be working twice as hard as I could only push, not pull. She said not to worry if I had to walk the hill...she expected me to. They'd meet me at the top.

So, off we go! I will have to get the stats on that hill, but it was a long, hard hill! After Jen left me, I was all alone. It was kind of scary as this is a highway. It is in the country & there isn't a shoulder. Since it is a country road, it isn't super busy, but there were a handful of cars that passed me.

Early on, I wasn't sure if I could do it. I decided to just watch the road in front of me & started counting 1-2. I pushed & pushed. I was going about 4 mph. And, finally, I reached the top...without walking!! I had to go around the curve to see the others. Jeb cheered me & I told her I did it without walking. She said the guy who is now their fastest rider stopped & walked 3 times on that hill his first time. I felt incredible!

After that, we did a long, fast downhill..I got to 34.5 mph! Oh how I loved it! We were riding along the Illinois River that flooded a few days ago. It was beautiful!

A little while later, my chain came off while shifting to go up a shorter hill. I yelled at Jen & she came back & fixed it for me. It was the 1st time that had happened & I really need to take a basic maintenance class! When we caught up with the others, we were down to 5 riders...there had been 10 in our group. The rest of the ride was easy & uneventful.

I was amazed that the faster group showed up about 5 minutes after we finished...they'd rode an extra 10 miles! So, again, I'm glad I only did the 18.

Som of them were headed to dinner, but I decided to go 'home'. On the way, I drove past a track I've ran on several times. I decided to get my brick workout in & run a mile. Well, I was amazed at how fast I ran...11:12! That is my fastest outdoor mile! Incredible! I have been working on a new stride, & I think it & my speed work are paying off!

I woke up with very sore abs (does riding hills do that? Or could it have been my kettle bell class from the day before?). My legs were aching, too. So, I took 1 Aleve. I am walking fine & feeling kind of like Superwoman this morning! I can't believe I rode that hill!

Sorry so long, but I'm so thrilled. And, if you ride in a group regularly, it might be nice to see how a newcomer experienced a group ride for the first time.

I am taking a well deserved Rest Day today as we leave Oklahoma & head to my mom's in the Dallas area today. I plan on doing a 7 mile run Saturday morning & heading home to Houston later that day. On Sunday, I have my open water swim clinic in the lake I'll be doing my tri in the following weekend.

Hope everyone else is enjoying their training. I'm really enjoying this group!

2011-04-29 9:34 AM

User image

Champion
Brooklyn, NY
Wow—that sounds like a lot of fun. Sorry the other riders weren’t friendly. I have to say that that’s kind of the stereotype of cyclists (“roadies”) vs. triathletes. They can be kind of exclusionist and judge-y. 18 miles in tennis shoes is no mean feat.

The key with shifting on hills is that you never want to shift “under load”, that is you want to kind of take the pressure off the pedals, while still turning them, as you shift. I know that sounds contradictory, but you’ll see what I mean once you get the hang of it. I forget if you have a trainer or not-it’s an easy thing to practice on a trainer.
2011-04-29 9:50 AM

Hey Jonah,

I hope you have room for one more newbie.  I would love to be in your group.  A little bit about myself....

I'm 42, married with no kids to a (thankfully!) supportive husband that doesn't mind me spending my time and money on this crazy sport.  I'm from LI, but I travel a lot for work, which limits my training at times, so I have to be very flexible about when and where I train.  I'm an Athena (to put it nicely) who has lost 75 lbs in the last two years, but still has 25-30 to go.  I started running in September 2009 as a way to break a plateau in my weight loss, and kept going from there. 

I'm really slow, hence the turtle in my user ID.  I'm slow at everything (not in life so much, just anything athletic), but that doesn't stop me from participating in just about everything I set my mind to.  I've completed:

• 23-5K races
  • 2-4 mile races
  • 2-5 mile races
  • 2-10K races
  • 2-duathlons
  • 1-trail relay
  • 1-half marathon (next half marathon is on 5/1-LI Half Marathon)

Last week I completed my first ever triathlon (super sprint length?), found myself addicted, and looking forward to my next triathlon.....which is the LI Gold Coast, which you are participating in as well!  My plan is to stick to the Sprint distances this year, and possibly move up to Olympic distance next year.  I'm a fan of asking questions, gathering and analyzing information (I'm an auditor so it's in my blood at this point in my life), so whatever advice you have will be appreciated.  I'm looking forward to develop my skills in the sport, and it's great that you want to share your knowledge by being a mentor.  Thanks so much!

-Kelly

2011-04-29 12:25 PM
in reply to: #3469406

User image

New user

Halstead

jmk-brooklyn - 2011-04-27 7:25 PM

Before I read your last sentence, I was about say, "get a foam roller". Why don't you want to get one? I've been lucky to not have IT band problems, but whenever I do, a few minutes with the roller and it feels better. You could always get regular deep-tissue massages, but I don't think that even regular stretching will prevent it completely if you're prone to those kinds of problems. Is a "turbo" the same thing as a bike trainer? That's a MUCH better term than "trainer". When people in England say "trainers", they mean "running shoes", right? The English guy from the Paris tri club that I ran with last week told me to meet him outside the track and that he'd be wearing orange trainers.

Thanks for the advice, I think I may have written my last post a little wrong because I do want to get a foam roller, I was just wondering if there were any better ways to either cure or prevent this whole ITB thing. I'll get one ordered from eBay I think and give it a whirl.

As for the whole Turbo thing, yes, I believe it is the same as a bike trainer and the whole language thing across the pond can get confusing. It's just like us saying trousers and you all calling them "pants", which we call our underwear! I just love it all. Hope you're well and it looks like you really enjoyed Paris. I'm doing a London to Paris bike ride later on in the year so I either hope it's not too hilly, or that I get much better at cycling.

2011-04-29 12:29 PM
in reply to: #3473185

User image

Champion
Brooklyn, NY
Turtle who Tris - 2011-04-29 9:50 AM

Hey Jonah,

I hope you have room for one more newbie.  I would love to be in your group.  A little bit about myself....

I'm 42, married with no kids to a (thankfully!) supportive husband that doesn't mind me spending my time and money on this crazy sport.  I'm from LI, but I travel a lot for work, which limits my training at times, so I have to be very flexible about when and where I train.  I'm an Athena (to put it nicely) who has lost 75 lbs in the last two years, but still has 25-30 to go.  I started running in September 2009 as a way to break a plateau in my weight loss, and kept going from there. 

I'm really slow, hence the turtle in my user ID.  I'm slow at everything (not in life so much, just anything athletic), but that doesn't stop me from participating in just about everything I set my mind to.  I've completed:

• 23-5K races
  • 2-4 mile races
  • 2-5 mile races
  • 2-10K races
  • 2-duathlons
  • 1-trail relay
  • 1-half marathon (next half marathon is on 5/1-LI Half Marathon)

Last week I completed my first ever triathlon (super sprint length?), found myself addicted, and looking forward to my next triathlon.....which is the LI Gold Coast, which you are participating in as well!  My plan is to stick to the Sprint distances this year, and possibly move up to Olympic distance next year.  I'm a fan of asking questions, gathering and analyzing information (I'm an auditor so it's in my blood at this point in my life), so whatever advice you have will be appreciated.  I'm looking forward to develop my skills in the sport, and it's great that you want to share your knowledge by being a mentor.  Thanks so much!

-Kelly

Hi Kelly-- welcome to the group. Kelly, this is everyone. Everyone, this is Kelly.

(And with that, now that we have our lucky number 14, I'm going to declare our little group CLOSED!!)
2011-04-29 12:35 PM

User image

Champion
Brooklyn, NY
Subject: RE: jmk-brooklyn's group-- CLOSED

So, Adam, Roy, I heard there was some kind of wedding or something happening near you? Did you hear anything about it?

My wife took advantage of her jet-lag and got up at 5:00 in the morning to watch it. It was mostly done and dusted by the time I got up, although I did catch a little of the tail end of it.

I found it funny to see that the Queen herself doesn't participate in the singing of "God Save the Queen". I suppose that should have been obvious, but I never thought about it.
2011-04-29 12:39 PM
in reply to: #3473586

User image

Champion
Brooklyn, NY
RoyBird - 2011-04-29 12:25 PM

I'm doing a London to Paris bike ride later on in the year so I either hope it's not too hilly, or that I get much better at cycling.

I'd be less worried about the hills and more so about how you're going to cross the Channel on a bike.

You may want to wear your wetsuit on that ride. I imagine the section between Calais and Dover gets a little damp.
2011-04-29 7:25 PM

User image

Regular
Houston, TX
Welcome, Kelly! That's a lot of races. I started running & losing weight last June. I've lost 30 pounds (maybe 5 more to go?) & completed ypthe following:
3-5ks
1-10k
1-HAlf Marathon
1-Sprint Triathlon

I have my 2nd HM & 2nd sprint tri coming up in the next 5 weeks. After that, I think I'll focus on running speed (5k distance) & biking. My daughter does summer swim team & that eats up 7 weekends in May/June

What about the rest of you? How many races have you competed in?

And, as far as the trainer...no, don't have one to practice gear shifting on, but thanks for the advice. There is so much to learn!

One more question, is there a great book or website where I can learn biking basics? I need basic terminology (like 'shift up') & much more! Thanks!
Dana

2011-04-29 11:10 PM

User image

Expert
Las Vegas, NV

Welcome Kelly!

Dana- Glad you had such a good time on your bike ride. Good job on the hill and on the run! When I first started biking, I started off with platform pedals and it was a good decision. I got very comfortable with basic bike handling, and then got the clipless shoes after about 2 months. Definately recommend it. I see a lot of threads about falling & not being able to clip in & I think that can all be avoided by using platform pedals for the 1st couple months as a new rider.

When going up a hill, the best thing you can do is to get into your easiest gear and spin your legs as fast as you can.

Got my first sprint tri of the season tomorrow. It was nice all week and now it's cold & super windy Oh well, at least we'll all have the same race conditions and I've riden in wind before. Hopefully I'll get some tail winds  

2011-04-29 11:15 PM

User image

Expert
Las Vegas, NV
Dana- Shift up means to put your bike in a easier gear( you will feel less push/resistance on the pedals). Shift down means means to put it i a harder gear (you will feel more push/resistance on the pedals).  
2011-04-30 2:28 AM

User image

Regular
Everywhere

Re the wedding, i think it was a small affair, 65 miles away from me. I went out on a small ride with a friend in the morning then we watched the wedding with our partners and kids.

Welcome to the group Kelly.

2011-04-30 5:14 AM
in reply to: #3473600

User image

Veteran
Maryland
Subject: RE: jmk-brooklyn's group-- CLOSED

I don't have any clue about anything on the bike, especially shifting, but this article was quite helpful. http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/cms/article-detail.asp?articleid=... think I need to read it a few more times, stare at my bike, read it again, go out and ride, and then maybe reading it will make more sense, but I think most people aren't as dumb as I am about the bike and this will make sense more quickly. So far it seems to be a really good article, I'm just having trouble wrapping my mind around how all of these things work.

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » jmk-brooklyn's group-- FULL Rss Feed  

of 16