BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Yanti and Lynn, Mentors of the Manatee Melee: FULL Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 43

2011-04-12 10:25 PM
in reply to: #3443567

User image

Dallas, TX
Subject: RE: Yanti and Lynn, Mentors of the Manatee Melee: OPEN for YOU!
lmsco .

Yes Welcome Easter Teddie! Which tri in Palm Springs? The Desert Tri March 5-6? I was there, too if that was it.
It's tough while traveling, especially if you're required to do biz dinner meetings and such. I do know more hotels will have spin bikes and pools/gyms/Y's are popping up everywhere, unless of course you end up in West Texas.
It was the desert tri. In had a meeting in San Diego the next day, so it worked out perfect. What a beautiful place! I am actually in Lubbock now! And there's not much here. Tomorrow onto Norman, OK, which won't be much better.

2011-04-12 10:29 PM
in reply to: #3443580

User image

Dallas, TX
TriAya - 2011-04-12 10:16 PM

kussmaul - 2011-04-13 11:43 AM Kussmaul was my cats name (I had to put him to sleep last year, he was 20). I am a nurse and I got him in nursing school as a kitten. One of my friends named him. We were studying diabetes at the time. Kussmaul breathing is what diabetics do when they are in a coma. It was different so inliked it. I used to live in Germany so I also liked it for that reason.

How funny, I had completely forgotten about that! "Kussmaul" literally means "kiss the snout" ... where did you live in Germany?

I lived in Zweibruecken. It is southwest about two hours south of Frankfurt. I went to high school there. We traveled around Europe a lot, but I was a teenager and did not appreciate it at all.
2011-04-13 8:33 AM
in reply to: #3434942

Hi there:

Just reading the bio made me chuckle so it looks like this might be a fun group to join if you have any space left. I am a complete newbie. Starting from zero in Feb, I joined beginner tri and printed out a training schedule and have been tri-ing to follow it.

I signed up for a sprint Triathlon in July, in an effort to get out of my box. Well here I am, out of my box with no clue. I just turned 47, I have not competed in sports since highschool except for one season on a softball league, (affectionately called the drink league) which I also did not know how to do, the softball that is.

I am not a good swimmer, runner or cyclist. I just bought a bike and joined a local cycling club. So I am trying to get that under control. I do love the cycling. I try to get to the gym a few times a week where I run or swim or take a spinning class. I have been avoiding the pool as much as possible but know I am running out of time and need to get my you know what in gear. Did I mention I am not a good runner either, but thought I could walk over the line if I have to, but I would like to pick up the pace on that too.

You must be thinking I am out of my mind. I may be a little. But I am looking forward to any help and focus you can give me. Hope to hear from you soon.

Thanks so much.

Grainne Wynne

2011-04-13 11:06 AM

User image

Hi everyone!  I would love to join your group too!

My name is Christina.  I live in Illinois and will be participating in my second sprint tri this year June 2010.)  My journey began last year duing a challenging time in my life.  I needed a positive focus in my life and turned my triathlon training into that.  I have never been super-athletic so I used the Couch to 5K program to being running.  I used the Total Immersion Program for swimming.  It was a long road but I made it to the finish line!   My goal for the tri was just to finish it--not worrying about my time or anthing like that.  This year I am signing up for the same sprint tri and considering doing an Oly later in the season.  I would like to try and improve my time, endurance, and efficiency.  I have been running and biking since the last tri but have slipped on my swim training. 

I am a full time working mom of a beautiful 2 year old girl-Sophia.  I have been married for 5 years to a wonderful man who supports my triathlon goals.

I can't wait to join in on the discussions....

2011-04-13 11:21 AM

Charlotte, North Carolina

Hi all!

My name is Cassie. I am more of a lurker on this site.. but have been waiting for the mentor programs to start for this month. I'm young.. 21.. and running my first sprint tri in June! woohoo. I've been training since March 27th- 3x bike, 3x run, 4x swim/wk. I am fortunate that I have a bit more time because I just go to work from 8-5, then come home. I have a running background- I played soccer and ran track in high school and college. Cycling is pretty easy for me as well, but I am a GOD AWFUL swimmer. I am currently in a swim clinic that is supposed to be helping me swim better, so we will see how that goes! Unfortuantely, I am sick right now so I am struggling trying to figure out whether to complete my workouts or take it easy.

Basically, my goals are to get back into shape and to actually be able to compete after this year. I apologize that my logs aren't up yet, I'm working on them now! Being a noob, I need all the guidance I can get, so I look forward to being a part of this group to be able to learn from more experienced people.

Edited by deliriousxix 2011-04-13 11:23 AM
2011-04-13 12:14 PM
in reply to: #3443104

User image

Veteran
Golden, CO
Lag - 2011-04-12 4:24 PM

Still room? If you still need a token guy, I'm up for the job.

I did my first tri last fall, a sprint that the swim part got truncated at the last minute (thank God, as it's my worst leg).  Was wavering for a while whether I'd tri again this year, but figure to give it another go.  And a support/mentor group should help immensely.

The winters are long here in the mountains of Colorado and all the snow (great for skiing) makes it hard to train outside.  So, I'm in definite need of getting going.  Since I'm not quite at the square one that I was last spring, I'm considering upping the distance this year and got my eye on an olympic in August.

My biking and running aren't awesome but I know they'll come around.  As for swimming, I pretty much had to learn to swim from the beginning last year.  During the hours in the pool, I adopted the manatee as my swimming spirit animal, so maybe this group is just right.

Hope I can join,

Tony

[Edited because my phone apparently doesn't believe in paragraphs or letting me spell my own words.]

Hey Tony-where in the mountains of colorado do you live? I live in the foothills just west of Golden...close to BlackHawk. What tris are you planning on this summer??

2011-04-13 12:37 PM
in reply to: #3444477

User image

Hollz - 2011-04-13 12:14 PM
Lag - 2011-04-12 4:24 PM

The winters are long here in the mountains of Colorado and all the snow (great for skiing) makes it hard to train outside.

Hey Tony-where in the mountains of colorado do you live? I live in the foothills just west of Golden...close to BlackHawk. What tris are you planning on this summer??

I live in Snowmass Village.  Our ski season just finished a couple of days ago, so I've got quite a bit of time now, until the summer season gets going.

I'm gonna see how the first few weeks of official training come along before I register, but I'm looking at the Aspen Triathlon which is an enhanced sprint distance in about two months time and then the Denver Triathlon olympic distance in July if that goes well.  More later in the summer that are still maybes but are prolly more realistic.

2011-04-13 12:41 PM
in reply to: #3443957

User image

Melon Presser
Grainne Wynne - 2011-04-13 10:33 PM

Hi there:

Just reading the bio made me chuckle so it looks like this might be a fun group to join if you have any space left. I am a complete newbie. Starting from zero in Feb, I joined beginner tri and printed out a training schedule and have been tri-ing to follow it.

I signed up for a sprint Triathlon in July, in an effort to get out of my box. Well here I am, out of my box with no clue. I just turned 47, I have not competed in sports since highschool except for one season on a softball league, (affectionately called the drink league) which I also did not know how to do, the softball that is.

I am not a good swimmer, runner or cyclist. I just bought a bike and joined a local cycling club. So I am trying to get that under control. I do love the cycling. I try to get to the gym a few times a week where I run or swim or take a spinning class. I have been avoiding the pool as much as possible but know I am running out of time and need to get my you know what in gear. Did I mention I am not a good runner either, but thought I could walk over the line if I have to, but I would like to pick up the pace on that too.

You must be thinking I am out of my mind. I may be a little. But I am looking forward to any help and focus you can give me. Hope to hear from you soon.

Thanks so much.

Grainne Wynne

It might be a prerequisite for triathlon to be out of your mind, so you are well on your way Welcome Grainne, to the mad Manatees and to beginnertriathlete.com

I'll be posting more later, but for now--it's great to have you and really, beginners are who the groups focus on, so ... you're it.

2011-04-13 12:46 PM
in reply to: #3444325

User image

Melon Presser
christina322 - 2011-04-14 1:06 AM

Hi everyone!  I would love to join your group too!

My name is Christina.  I live in Illinois and will be participating in my second sprint tri this year June 2010.)  My journey began last year duing a challenging time in my life.  I needed a positive focus in my life and turned my triathlon training into that.  I have never been super-athletic so I used the Couch to 5K program to being running.  I used the Total Immersion Program for swimming.  It was a long road but I made it to the finish line!   My goal for the tri was just to finish it--not worrying about my time or anthing like that.  This year I am signing up for the same sprint tri and considering doing an Oly later in the season.  I would like to try and improve my time, endurance, and efficiency.  I have been running and biking since the last tri but have slipped on my swim training. 

I am a full time working mom of a beautiful 2 year old girl-Sophia.  I have been married for 5 years to a wonderful man who supports my triathlon goals.

I can't wait to join in on the discussions....

Welcome, Christina, and congrats, TRIATHLETE

Great to have you on board. I take it that is Sophia in your profile pic? She is beautiful ... takes after mum.

2011-04-13 12:50 PM
in reply to: #3444357

User image

Melon Presser
deliriousxix - 2011-04-14 1:21 AM

Hi all!

My name is Cassie. I am more of a lurker on this site.. but have been waiting for the mentor programs to start for this month. I'm young.. 21.. and running my first sprint tri in June! woohoo. I've been training since March 27th- 3x bike, 3x run, 4x swim/wk. I am fortunate that I have a bit more time because I just go to work from 8-5, then come home. I have a running background- I played soccer and ran track in high school and college. Cycling is pretty easy for me as well, but I am a GOD AWFUL swimmer. I am currently in a swim clinic that is supposed to be helping me swim better, so we will see how that goes! Unfortuantely, I am sick right now so I am struggling trying to figure out whether to complete my workouts or take it easy.

Basically, my goals are to get back into shape and to actually be able to compete after this year. I apologize that my logs aren't up yet, I'm working on them now! Being a noob, I need all the guidance I can get, so I look forward to being a part of this group to be able to learn from more experienced people.

Hi Cassie! Thanks for joining us on your journey. Sorry you're not feeling well. If you're sick, you could start out on your workouts REALLY EASY, and if you feel okay, continue. But you'll also never go wrong taking the safe path and getting lots of rest and getting better!

2011-04-13 2:09 PM

User image

Veteran
Austin
I want back in!!!  The manatees have helped carry me through my training, I of course need them to take me to the actual finish line.  Things are a little crazy here, with my in-laws coming in tonight.  But, I will post my bio soon.  Welcome to all the new (and returning) Manatees!

2011-04-13 2:45 PM

User image

Veteran
Phoenix

Welcome to all the New Manatees: Adrienne, Holly, Tony, Teddie, Grace, Grainne, Christina and Cassie!

This is a great group for support - Yanti and Lynn are the best!

(Claire - LOL at the Kiwi Press!!!)

2011-04-13 6:46 PM
in reply to: #3444818

User image

Melon Presser

lounav - 2011-04-14 4:09 AM I want back in!!!  The manatees have helped carry me through my training, I of course need them to take me to the actual finish line.  Things are a little crazy here, with my in-laws coming in tonight.  But, I will post my bio soon.  Welcome to all the new (and returning) Manatees!

LOUISE! Welcome back. I was hoping you would swim over. Manatee {MELON PRESS}

2011-04-13 8:20 PM

, North Carolina

Hi!  I want in!  I am new here and and in the first week of training for a early Aug. triathlon in the Upper Peninsula of Michigan. I live in Asheville North Carolina and my family is from Houghton MI in the U.P.   I have run a couple half marathons and some other 5 & 10 K's and this will be my first Tri.  I work for Outward Bound (a wilderness experiential education organization) so I live in the woods most of the summer with hundreds of miles or trail and forest service roads to run and bike on....the swimming is a bit harder to come by, however, i swam competitively when i was young so I still have some muscle memory and I can go to the Y on occasion.   I am 36, single, and super excited to commit to a training plan that is gonna make me focused, strong, and fit.  

2011-04-13 8:31 PM
in reply to: #3445475

User image

Melon Presser
haley913 - 2011-04-14 10:20 AM

Hi!  I want in!  I am new here and and in the first week of training for a early Aug. triathlon in the Upper Peninsula of Michigan. I live in Asheville North Carolina and my family is from Houghton MI in the U.P.   I have run a couple half marathons and some other 5 & 10 K's and this will be my first Tri.  I work for Outward Bound (a wilderness experiential education organization) so I live in the woods most of the summer with hundreds of miles or trail and forest service roads to run and bike on....the swimming is a bit harder to come by, however, i swam competitively when i was young so I still have some muscle memory and I can go to the Y on occasion.   I am 36, single, and super excited to commit to a training plan that is gonna make me focused, strong, and fit.  

Hi Haley! Yes ... with your swim background, and even just swimming occasionally to refresh, and well, being a Manatee ... you'll do fine on the swim

Welcome to our pod and to BT as well.

Upper Peninsula? YOOPER, hey.

have you looked at the BT training plans? They're quite good.

2011-04-13 8:43 PM

User image

Veteran
WTH? This isn't coral. It's corn!

In my best Donkey impersonation voice: "Oh pick me! Oh I know! I know! Me! Me!"

Except that even though I started last year and completed sprints/Oly's and one HIM, I still feel in pre-kindergarten with so much that there's to learn in this sport! So, I know that I don't know LOL So, I'll like to join

2011-04-13 8:48 PM
in reply to: #3445519

User image

Melon Presser
trainforacure - 2011-04-14 10:43 AM

Except that even though I started last year and completed sprints/Oly's and one HIM, I still feel in pre-kindergarten with so much that there's to learn in this sport! So, I know that I don't know LOL So, I'll like to join

So funny ... I don't know why (blog exchanges? your great enthusiasm), but I was actually hoping you might think of the Manatees. We need your wisdom and experience too!

EEEAAAAAW ... are you one of the Donkai, as well? With that, you ought to be. (I am too, by the way.)

I welcome you with a Manatee {MELON PRESS}. Or a high-flipper. Whichever you prefer.

2011-04-13 9:08 PM
in reply to: #3445528

User image

Veteran
WTH? This isn't coral. It's corn!
TriAya - 2011-04-13 9:48 PM

So funny ... I don't know why (blog exchanges? your great enthusiasm), but I was actually hoping you might think of the Manatees. We need your wisdom and experience too!

EEEAAAAAW ... are you one of the Donkai, as well? With that, you ought to be. (I am too, by the way.)

I welcome you with a Manatee {MELON PRESS}. Or a high-flipper. Whichever you prefer.

Hahahaha! OK, both

Donkai is my hero!! "And in the morning, I'm making waffles."  That line floors me EVERYTIME! Laughing I also think parfaits should be a food group.  

I'm looking forward to learning a lot from the group and to becoming a fast tri girl LOL

2011-04-13 9:22 PM
in reply to: #3445566

User image

Master
Vista, CA
trainforacure - 2011-04-13 7:08 PM
TriAya - 2011-04-13 9:48 PM

Hahahaha! OK, both

Donkai is my hero!! "And in the morning, I'm making waffles."  That line floors me EVERYTIME! Laughing I also think parfaits should be a food group.  

I'm looking forward to learning a lot from the group and to becoming a fast tri girl LOL

Welcome -- what's your "real" name?  Onions have layers, too! A big Shrek fan as well.
2011-04-13 9:24 PM

User image

Master
Vista, CA
Wow! A gal goes out for a 4 1/2 hour bike ride and look what happens, we've got Manatees swarming all over the place. It's a regular party. Woo-hoo! Welcome to you all.

Yanti, I"m thinking we might just be about full up.What cha' think? Then we can get our little list going with names and all.

Whether you're new to the party or have done a HIM or IM, there's ALWAYS more to learn about triathlon.
2011-04-13 9:56 PM
in reply to: #3445610

User image

Melon Presser

lmscozz - 2011-04-14 11:24 AM Wow! A gal goes out for a 4 1/2 hour bike ride and look what happens, we've got Manatees swarming all over the place. It's a regular party. Woo-hoo! Welcome to you all.

Yanti, I"m thinking we might just be about full up.What cha' think? Then we can get our little list going with names and all.

Whether you're new to the party or have done a HIM or IM, there's ALWAYS more to learn about triathlon.

"Lez do it." bu-du-dum-dum-dum.

Indeed. I also always forget about the ex-post pleaders who try to bribe me with fruit Pop Tarts and fruit presses ...

I'll do the listy and posty within a day or two.

2011-04-13 9:59 PM

User image

Melon Presser
Subject: RE: Yanti and Lynn, Mentors of the Manatee Melee: FULL
***I AM VERY SORRY, BUT THIS POD IS NOW CLOSED TO NEW MEMBERS***
2011-04-13 10:49 PM

User image

Veteran

Hey Manatees! I'm so glad to be back with you! 

This is my second year of "trying" to do tri's!  Last year I did a couple of sprints and a mini-sprint, and I say that I am "trying" this year, because so far... I've been dealing with a few injuries all year!!  The plan WAS to do a few oly and a HIM (which I am registered for in July, but it looks like this might not be my year for the HIM due to achillies injuries hindering my run, and breaking my wrist.... slowing down the rest of my training in the pool!   So... I am learning to be patient and listen to my body.  I am registered for a sprint in a month, and hope to get a couple OLY in the summer in, along with a 1/2 mary in Sept.

I'm a  47 yr old single mom of a (gulp) 20 year old daughter who is way at univeristy in Montreal.... so am pretty fortunate in that I have the time to train.  However.... I live in the great white north and can NOT wait to be able to get back on the road outside sometime soon! Riding inside alllllll winter is starting to get really really boring!!!  (fyi.... snow is forcasted for the next week .... again!!  uggg!)

Kathy

2011-04-14 11:49 AM

User image

Master

Drats...a day late and a dollar short.

"You gotta warn someone when you're going to crack one off.  I had my mouth open and everything!"

2011-04-14 3:34 PM
in reply to: #3446655

Veteran
Hoosier heartland
crews - 2011-04-14 11:49 AM

Drats...a day late and a dollar short.

"You gotta warn someone when you're going to crack one off.  I had my mouth open and everything!"

I bet if you bribe a certain someone with delicious, warm, pop-tarts, you might get to squeeze in.  After all it said closed to NEW members.  You were already a Manatee...just sayin'.  Wink

I tried, that's all I got.  

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Yanti and Lynn, Mentors of the Manatee Melee: FULL Rss Feed  

of 43