BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Yanti and Lynn, Mentors of the Manatee Melee: FULL Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 43

2011-04-14 7:37 PM
in reply to: #3445603

User image

Veteran
WTH? This isn't coral. It's corn!
Subject: RE: Yanti and Lynn, Mentors of the Manatee Melee: OPEN for YOU!
lmscozz - 2011-04-13 10:22 PM
trainforacure - 2011-04-13 7:08 PM
TriAya - 2011-04-13 9:48 PM
trainforacure - 2011-04-14 10:43 AM

In my best Donkey impersonation voice: "Oh pick me! Oh I know! I know! Me! Me!"

Except that even though I started last year and completed sprints/Oly's and one HIM, I still feel in pre-kindergarten with so much that there's to learn in this sport! So, I know that I don't know LOL So, I'll like to join

So funny ... I don't know why (blog exchanges? your great enthusiasm), but I was actually hoping you might think of the Manatees. We need your wisdom and experience too!

EEEAAAAAW ... are you one of the Donkai, as well? With that, you ought to be. (I am too, by the way.)

I welcome you with a Manatee {MELON PRESS}. Or a high-flipper. Whichever you prefer.

Hahahaha! OK, both

Donkai is my hero!! "And in the morning, I'm making waffles."  That line floors me EVERYTIME! Laughing I also think parfaits should be a food group.  

I'm looking forward to learning a lot from the group and to becoming a fast tri girl LOL

Welcome -- what's your "real" name?  Onions have layers, too! A big Shrek fan as well.

Hi Lynn!

During 8-5, my name is Carol.  Any other time, Chrissie LOL!! Glad to be in the group Laughing

2011-04-14 10:14 PM
in reply to: #3434942

User image

Veteran
Pueblo, CO
Subject: RE: Yanti and Lynn, Mentors of the Manatee Melee: FULL
Holy cow Dorthy - go on a 3 day business trip to Kansas and look what you miss out of. Good luck to all you manatees, new and old, and although I may not be a member, I will be lurking in the shadows.
2011-04-15 12:25 AM
in reply to: #3447855

User image

Veteran
Phoenix

mackjenn - 2011-04-14 9:14 PM Holy cow Dorthy - go on a 3 day business trip to Kansas and look what you miss out of. Good luck to all you manatees, new and old, and although I may not be a member, I will be lurking in the shadows.

Oh John...you are a returning manatee - I'm sure you're safe, you turd.  Don't go to Kansas for 3 days ever again.  Just sayin.

2011-04-15 6:47 AM
in reply to: #3442906

User image

Veteran
Austin
Hollz - 2011-04-12 3:39 PM

Hey Ladies/Manatees/Trichicks,

I would love to join your group. It looks like you have a lot of fun over here!!

Personal:

I am 49-getting to compete in the 50-55 AG this year due to the December birthday (yay!), married forever, 2 grown sons (well...they think they are anyway..are they ever??) 28 and 25. Current babies are my 2 dogs. So much easier than the boys were!!

Tris & Stuff:

Started tri training in late 2007 with a couple friends to get off the couch and quit smoking. First sprint tri alone and 2nd with a relay in summer 2008. Loved it. Quit smoking finally totally in jan 2009. Did a couple more sprints in 2009 with some 5k runs for fun. Decided to work on OLY distance and trained for it in 2010 but it didn't happen. Personal and financial difficulties sidelined the race plans. I've lost my training buddies along the way for the most part. One doesn't run and one swims like a rock...I did manage tri for the cure last summer, but that was the only tri. SO-this is the OLY summer. I am training pretty well and am registered for 3 OLYs and want to complete 2 or 3 sprints also. Since I do mostly train alone, (drag the hubby to the pool and he bikes occasionally with..) I look to groups of like minded yahoos like me that enjoy the ridiculous amounts of training and slightly obsessed mindset of endurance athletics.

So, if you'll have me, I would be so grateful to join your group!!

thanks, Holly

Welcome Holly - I completely relate to the lack of a training group.  It can get lonely at times and I find this group is nice to help keep me accountable (though the logs) and share my joys/frustrations through the group.  Can't wait to join you on your journey!

2011-04-15 8:50 AM
in reply to: #3444914

Thank you Crystal. nice to meet you all.

Grainne

2011-04-15 1:39 PM
in reply to: #3448248

User image

Veteran
Austin

Okay, I guess I should introduce myself to our wonderful new manatees.

Let's see, I'm 32, and I have a 6y/o that is in kinder and 2y/o.  I'm a stay-at-home mom right now.  I am training for my first tri (sprint) on June 5th.  I started training in November and biking and swimming were all new to me, and I started running for the the first time in October.  So I'm your basic newbie who has been trying to fake it until I make it.  I've never been athletically inclined and everyone I know reacts with complete surprise when they find out I'm training for a tri.  But, I am a little obsessive-compulsive, and it turns out training works great for this type of personality.  I train a lot (for me) and I'm slowly getting less slow.  Right now, my run is probably going the best for me.  My swimming is nice and slow, but I love swimming.  Biking...well, I'm a biking baby.  I have come a long way, but I still get scared when I go around a corner too fast.  I'm highly scared of a major crash, but things are getting better.  

The is round two for me as a manatee and Yanti and Lynn (and company) have helped me so much.  I'm at week 13 of 20 week BT program (I'm doing the 3x olympic plan).  Just to show you it can be done by a non-athlete.  Since I've started my plan I've gone from averaging 12 min miles to 10 min miles on my run, and from 13 miles/hour on the bike to right at 16 (as of yesterday!).

2011-04-15 3:03 PM
in reply to: #3447855

User image

Veteran
Golden, CO

mackjenn - 2011-04-14 9:14 PM Holy cow Dorthy - go on a 3 day business trip to Kansas and look what you miss out of. Good luck to all you manatees, new and old, and although I may not be a member, I will be lurking in the shadows.

nothing against Kansas....but THREE days there?? business or not...seems like a lot! JK

Ha!

2011-04-15 3:07 PM

User image

Veteran
Golden, CO

ok wow! we need a list so I can add you all and start stalking your logs.

Surprised

been having a "LACK-OF-MOTIVATION-WEEK" myself. Going to happy hour tonight to put this poorexcuseforatrainingweek behind me with a beer or 2. LOL. BIG PLANS for the weekend tho. bikin and runnin and swimmin galore! giddyap!!

Have a great weekend all.

Holly

2011-04-15 3:10 PM
in reply to: #3445519

User image

Veteran
Golden, CO
trainforacure - 2011-04-13 7:43 PM

Except that even though I started last year and completed sprints/Oly's and one HIM, I still feel in pre-kindergarten with so much that there's to learn in this sport! So, I know that I don't know LOL So, I'll like to join

um....can I say something here? Started last year and you completed a HIM-holy! cow! Dorthy! as one of our other "tees said in here earlier...that is IMPRESSIVE!!! Hats off to you ChicaLaughingAH.MAY.ZING!

2011-04-15 4:22 PM
in reply to: #3449160

User image

Veteran
Calgary

Ah Manatees ... 'wipes away sentimental tear' ... this takes me back. ;-)

Just wanted to pop in and say you have the two BEST mentors possible - like seriously the best ever. Enjoy the group - they're phenomenal! Smile

TR

2011-04-15 6:34 PM
in reply to: #3449331

User image

Veteran
Phoenix
bodhi_girl - 2011-04-15 3:22 PM

Just wanted to pop in and say you have the two BEST mentors possible - like seriously the best ever. Enjoy the group - they're phenomenal! Smile

TR

Just had to say that the quote in your signature line is AWESOME!

2011-04-15 6:40 PM

User image

Master
Vista, CA
Hey Pod! What's up for the weekend for everyone? Seems like we're all in the midst of training for something. Make sure you're logging your workouts. I started logging about 3 years ago when I first started all this craziness and it's great to be able to go back and look at certain training days/weeks/months now. I agree that being a bit OCD kind of helps with tri training and logging, too.

By logging your workouts we can also check in and inspire you -- or kick you in the rump (JK). High flipper fives -- presses of various types of fruit {{{{{{{{{}}}}}}}} and Happy Friday night!

My son turns 16 today, so you know what I was doing 16 years ago. Ouch!! Pizza, movie and sleepover. Wish us luck!
2011-04-15 6:41 PM
in reply to: #3449500

User image

Melon Presser
crystalashworth - 2011-04-16 8:34 AM
bodhi_girl - 2011-04-15 3:22 PM

TR

Just had to say that the quote in your signature line is AWESOME!

SHE is awesome. She is a bodhi Manatee

and just for remembrance ...

peace. it does not mean to be in a place where there is no chaos, trouble, or hard work. it means to be in the midst of these things, and still be calm in your heart.

2011-04-15 6:43 PM
in reply to: #3449505

User image

Melon Presser

lmscozz - 2011-04-16 8:40 AM Hey Pod! What's up for the weekend for everyone? Seems like we're all in the midst of training for something. Make sure you're logging your workouts. I started logging about 3 years ago when I first started all this craziness and it's great to be able to go back and look at certain training days/weeks/months now. I agree that being a bit OCD kind of helps with tri training and logging, too.

By logging your workouts we can also check in and inspire you -- or kick you in the rump (JK). High flipper fives -- presses of various types of fruit {{{{{{{{{}}}}}}}} and Happy Friday night!

My son turns 16 today, so you know what I was doing 16 years ago. Ouch!! Pizza, movie and sleepover. Wish us luck!

I hope you drink. That should help.

My task for the day is making a Manatee table ...

2011-04-15 7:07 PM

User image

Dallas, TX

lmscozz - 2011-04-15 6:40 PM Hey Pod! What's up for the weekend for everyone? Seems like we're all in the midst of training for something. Make sure you're logging your workouts. I started logging about 3 years ago when I first started all this craziness and it's great to be able to go back and look at certain training days/weeks/months now. I agree that being a bit OCD kind of helps with tri training and logging, too.

Tomorrow I am doing a charity ride with some friends.  Not sure if I am going to ride 34, 44 or 60 miles.  Right now there is 30 mph winds with gusts up to 50.  Might be interesting.  Sunday I am doing the Warrior Dash with a friend - making necklaces out of Peeps is a lot harder than it seems like it should be.

Have fun at the b-day party - my nephew just turned 16 and I can't even imagineLaughing

2011-04-15 7:11 PM
in reply to: #3449537

User image

Melon Presser
kussmaul - 2011-04-16 9:07 AM

lmscozz - 2011-04-15 6:40 PM Hey Pod! What's up for the weekend for everyone? Seems like we're all in the midst of training for something. Make sure you're logging your workouts. I started logging about 3 years ago when I first started all this craziness and it's great to be able to go back and look at certain training days/weeks/months now. I agree that being a bit OCD kind of helps with tri training and logging, too.

Tomorrow I am doing a charity ride with some friends.  Not sure if I am going to ride 34, 44 or 60 miles.  Right now there is 30 mph winds with gusts up to 50.  Might be interesting.  Sunday I am doing the Warrior Dash with a friend - making necklaces out of Peeps is a lot harder than it seems like it should be.

Have fun at the b-day party - my nephew just turned 16 and I can't even imagineLaughing

BUNNY RIDING!

Are you going to use the Peeps necklace for nutrition?

When do you have to decide which distance you'll ride?

2011-04-15 7:38 PM
in reply to: #3449545

User image

Dallas, TX

If I manage to get the Peeps to stay on the necklace, they can be both decorative and used for nutrition - PURE SUGAR!!!

I'll likely decide what distance I am going to do when I get the the turn off point (I just looked at the map and it is a little confusing, but I think I have about 20 miles to make the decision). 

I don't always plan ahead as much as I should!

2011-04-15 8:21 PM

, North Carolina

i feel like i should introduce my self a bit more.  one of the most important things to know about me is i have a strange (to most) living/working situation.  this effects my training in both positively and negatively.  From April until November I live and work in the middle of a national forest 10 miles for the nearest paved road. I work for an Outward Bound School in NC.  I started as an instructor leading wilderness courses and not I manage one of the two base camps where we start and end courses and where up to 40 staff live. 

I have endless miles of trail to run and dirt roads to bike (i have a cyclocross bike for this).  swimming is hard for me to work into the schedule.  I often work crazy hours, it there is an emergency (illness, injury, etc.) I may work well past midnight managing the situation, supporting students and instructors.  I am often "on call" where I have to stay places with access to a phone (land line).  Sometimes i get frustrated when i can't get a workout in due to my work demands.  I have to get creative and fit in workouts whenever i can.  

April-November I am fairly consumed by my job and the community I live in.  I live, work, eat, socialize, supervise, play, with the same group of people.  

so my training..... QUESTION:  what's the best way to train for a flat to mildly rolling 23 mile bike when i the terrain i ride is either straight uphill and straight down hill? Also, if i train on mostly dirt/gravel forest service roads will I have an easier (faster) time when i switch to pavement?

oh, and my real name is Julie

2011-04-15 9:35 PM

User image

I guess I better start logging my workouts.  I have TOTALLY been slacking on this.  It will definitely help knowing that people are checking my logs.....

Happy weekend to everyone Smile

2011-04-16 7:40 AM

User image

Veteran
Austin

I have to say that logging stuff (okay, I already said I'm OCD, so no one is going to believe what I have to say on this one!)  is a huge help.  For example, when I need a little pick-me-up for my training I love to go and look at Lynn's logs ~ they are just so pretty and inspirational.  

2011-04-16 7:41 AM
in reply to: #3449633

User image

Veteran
Austin
haley913 - 2011-04-15 8:21 PM

i feel like i should introduce my self a bit more.  one of the most important things to know about me is i have a strange (to most) living/working situation.  this effects my training in both positively and negatively.  From April until November I live and work in the middle of a national forest 10 miles for the nearest paved road. I work for an Outward Bound School in NC.  I started as an instructor leading wilderness courses and not I manage one of the two base camps where we start and end courses and where up to 40 staff live. 

I have endless miles of trail to run and dirt roads to bike (i have a cyclocross bike for this).  swimming is hard for me to work into the schedule.  I often work crazy hours, it there is an emergency (illness, injury, etc.) I may work well past midnight managing the situation, supporting students and instructors.  I am often "on call" where I have to stay places with access to a phone (land line).  Sometimes i get frustrated when i can't get a workout in due to my work demands.  I have to get creative and fit in workouts whenever i can.  

April-November I am fairly consumed by my job and the community I live in.  I live, work, eat, socialize, supervise, play, with the same group of people.  

so my training..... QUESTION:  what's the best way to train for a flat to mildly rolling 23 mile bike when i the terrain i ride is either straight uphill and straight down hill? Also, if i train on mostly dirt/gravel forest service roads will I have an easier (faster) time when i switch to pavement?

oh, and my real name is Julie

Julie- Your job sounds intense and amazing!  What do you end up doing Dec-March?  

2011-04-16 8:57 AM
in reply to: #3449143

User image

Veteran
Pueblo, CO
Hollz - 2011-04-15 2:03 PM

nothing against Kansas....but THREE days there?? business or not...seems like a lot! JK

Ha!

It was too much, but it was business. Drove from Pueblo so I could take my bike, but never got a chance to use it. Did manage to get in a run. Funny part-the 6.5 hour drive was quicker than flying when considering layovers and getting to airport.
2011-04-16 12:14 PM

Veteran
Hoosier heartland
Well the latest weather report for tomorow's tri is partly sunny with lows 39-low 40s and a high in the afternoon at 60.  So it looks like I'll be heading into T1 with low 40s for temps.  About the same as last year.  Getting ready to pick up my packet.  I'll start getting nervous when I start looking through my bag (bib number, timing chip....).  Gulp.
2011-04-16 12:33 PM
in reply to: #3450150

User image

Master
Vista, CA
cggale - 2011-04-16 10:14 AM Well the latest weather report for tomorow's tri is partly sunny with lows 39-low 40s and a high in the afternoon at 60.  So it looks like I'll be heading into T1 with low 40s for temps.  About the same as last year.  Getting ready to pick up my packet.  I'll start getting nervous when I start looking through my bag (bib number, timing chip....).  Gulp.

GO CLAIRE!!! Can't wait to hear all about it!

Just a suggestion for staying warm after the swim and transitioning to the bike. I buy those heating packages people use for cold camping and hiking that you just open up, squeeze and put in your shoes, gloves, etc. I put them in my bike shoes right before I leave to go swim, then my shoes are toasty warm when I get back. Depending on what kind they are, sometimes they even lie flat and I keep them in. Also, I'll stick one down my top in T1 and keep it there for the bike. When it's chilly I put a long sleeve jersey over my tri top on the bike and usually end up taking it off during the run. Keep in mind I'm usually cold, too.

You can buy those at a camping store or REI. A few months back Target had them for $1 each in those seasonal bins right up in the front.
2011-04-16 12:36 PM
in reply to: #3449537

User image

Master
Vista, CA
kussmaul - 2011-04-15 5:07 PM

Have fun at the charity ride. I'll be interested to hear which route you decided.
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Yanti and Lynn, Mentors of the Manatee Melee: FULL Rss Feed  

of 43