BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Yanti and Lynn, Mentors of the Manatee Melee: FULL Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 43

2011-12-03 12:09 PM
in reply to: #3924767

User image

Master
Vista, CA
Subject: RE: Yanti and Lynn, Mentors of the Manatee Melee: FULL
cggale - 2011-12-03 9:42 AMGOOD LUCK LYNN!!!!!  Have fun!! Smile
Thanks guys for the props. I'm not trying to bq or anything but just hoping for a nicely paced run and I would like to better my time. Yanti's right. This was first one 2 years ago so we'll see what happens tomorrow. Wish you all were here to run it. Just Have to tell you I was heating water on the stove here in the Marriott for tea and the smoke alarm started beeping. Then the phone rings and it's the front desk asking if everything is ok. The plastic on the carafe I used from the coffee maker melted a bit....oops. Had to open the window to get the melted pastic smell cleared.

2011-12-03 12:11 PM
in reply to: #3924024

User image

Master
Vista, CA
Asalzwed - 2011-12-02 1:36 PM

Do...uh...what was I going to say again? Yanti's pic keep distracting me. 

Anyway, oh yeah, GOOOOOO LYNNNNNNNN!!!! Her Marathon is Sunday! Nice try flying under the radar! I am really excited for you!!! I'm not going to wish you good luck because you don't need it. Just get out there and do your thing!

Yes the Yanti photo is a beaut..bet all the BT boys are salivating...And go John. Hope your first half Mary is a blast. That's one of my favorite distances.
2011-12-03 3:38 PM
in reply to: #3924781

User image

Seattle

lmscozz - 2011-12-03 12:09 PM
cggale - 2011-12-03 9:42 AMGOOD LUCK LYNN!!!!!  Have fun!! Smile
Thanks guys for the props. I'm not trying to bq or anything but just hoping for a nicely paced run and I would like to better my time. Yanti's right. This was first one 2 years ago so we'll see what happens tomorrow. Wish you all were here to run it. Just Have to tell you I was heating water on the stove here in the Marriott for tea and the smoke alarm started beeping. Then the phone rings and it's the front desk asking if everything is ok. The plastic on the carafe I used from the coffee maker melted a bit....oops. Had to open the window to get the melted pastic smell cleared.

Hahaha, oops! 

Let us know how it goes. Pretty cool that you are racing the same marathon as your first race. Lucky too that you should have some pretty awesome weather! I am soo jealous of this. My parents live in CA so I should get down there more often and race. Maybe we could plan one for next year?

Oh yeah, dunno if any of you guys wear Puma stuff but I have a friends and fam. discount code: PUMADEC40    It is for 40% anything. I don't wear puma but this discount makes me want to try Smile

2011-12-04 4:59 PM
in reply to: #3434942

User image

Veteran
Pueblo, CO
Hope you had a good marathon Lynn!! The half here in Pueblo started with 25f temps and snowing, but cleared up when the high winds came in. Fun conditions, but I was still able to complete my first, hit my goal time (2:15), and was able to walk the mall with my girls last night for 3 hours. All in all - a great day!!!
2011-12-05 11:29 AM
in reply to: #3925694

User image

Seattle

mackjenn - 2011-12-04 4:59 PM Hope you had a good marathon Lynn!! The half here in Pueblo started with 25f temps and snowing, but cleared up when the high winds came in. Fun conditions, but I was still able to complete my first, hit my goal time (2:15), and was able to walk the mall with my girls last night for 3 hours. All in all - a great day!!!

Yay for hitting yoru goal despite crazy weather! I might even say the 3 hour mall trip was even more of an accomplishment Smile 

2011-12-05 12:19 PM
in reply to: #3926763

User image

Veteran
Pueblo, CO
Asalzwed - 2011-12-05 10:29 AM

mackjenn - 2011-12-04 4:59 PM Hope you had a good marathon Lynn!! The half here in Pueblo started with 25f temps and snowing, but cleared up when the high winds came in. Fun conditions, but I was still able to complete my first, hit my goal time (2:15), and was able to walk the mall with my girls last night for 3 hours. All in all - a great day!!!

Yay for hitting yoru goal despite crazy weather! I might even say the 3 hour mall trip was even more of an accomplishment Smile 

Thanks! I will admit the primary reason for the mall trip was to be able to go to the Y in Colorado Springs and sit in their hot tub.  I did a hot tub soak and a quick 500 yard swim while there - and the mall trip involved a lot of sitting outside of dressing rooms giving thumbs up or down.

2011-12-05 12:26 PM
in reply to: #3925694

User image

Melon Presser

mackjenn - 2011-12-05 6:59 AM Hope you had a good marathon Lynn!! The half here in Pueblo started with 25f temps and snowing, but cleared up when the high winds came in. Fun conditions, but I was still able to complete my first, hit my goal time (2:15), and was able to walk the mall with my girls last night for 3 hours. All in all - a great day!!!

Walking a mall for 3 hours?! What, are you crazy?

SUPER CONGRATS on the half-mary in some real tough conditions! Yowza!

2011-12-11 4:26 PM

User image

Dallas, TX

Congrats everyone on all their recent races!!!!!  I haven't posted in awhile, but have checked in periodically and just got caught up.  Lots of great races for everyone!

I've only been running.  I think I have been on my bike (mountain bike) twice since May and in the pool zero times.  I've been on the road so much running is easier.  I wrapped up my half training program last week.  I cheated and ran a 1/2 here in Dallas back in October (it was on my birthday and a friend from my training group talked me into it - then backed out!).  I learned I suck at pacing and have no ability to do simple math when I run.  So I started way to fast and it took me about 6 miles to realize it - I finished the first half of the race in about 50 min and the second in about 70 min (including waiting forever at a portapotty because I drank too much).  I finished in 2:08 and was pretty happy with that.  Last week I ran the Las vegas Rock and Roll half.  Running on the strip at night was fun!!  That's about the only good thing I can say about the race.  There were 44k people (less than 6k ran the full).  There was basically no crowd control or logistical planning.  Expo start and finish were total messes.  It was really hard to run a consistent pace with that many people.  Lots and lots of walkers seeded themselves in the first few corrals.  And many of them walked in big groups making getting around them hard.  I needed up with a time of 2:10.  I was hoping for closer to 2 hr, but with that many people it was not going to happen.  My Garmin ended up at 13.4 miles!!  Lots of weaving around people.  Next up is the Cowtown 1/2 marathon in February and the Dallas Rock and Roll half in March (after Vegas I have no desire to do another rock and roll event, but I registered for Dallas months ago).

2011-12-11 4:57 PM
in reply to: #3934300

User image

Master
Vista, CA

Good to hear from you and nice job on your half marathons!!! I heard LV R/R was brutal. Something about a lot of people getting food and/or water poisoning from the water coming out of hyrdrants and into trash bags through hoses that might not have been sterilized. I hope you didn't have that issue, too. Great job powering through all those walkers. I love walkers, but I love them more when they aren't in my way when I'm trying to run.

Come out here to San DIego for a run!!

2011-12-11 5:31 PM
in reply to: #3934325

User image

Dallas, TX
I heard about a bunch of people getting sick.  I did (threw up at mile 6 and the end) but I don't think it was from the water on the course, but from eating lunch to close to the start time.  I carried some with me and only took a few sips from what they had on the course.  They ran out of water, cytomax, shirts and medals.  Great planning!
2011-12-11 9:00 PM

User image

Seattle
kussmaul - 2011-12-11 4:26 PM

Congrats everyone on all their recent races!!!!!  I haven't posted in awhile, but have checked in periodically and just got caught up.  Lots of great races for everyone!

I've only been running.  I think I have been on my bike (mountain bike) twice since May and in the pool zero times.  I've been on the road so much running is easier.  I wrapped up my half training program last week.  I cheated and ran a 1/2 here in Dallas back in October (it was on my birthday and a friend from my training group talked me into it - then backed out!).  I learned I suck at pacing and have no ability to do simple math when I run.  So I started way to fast and it took me about 6 miles to realize it - I finished the first half of the race in about 50 min and the second in about 70 min (including waiting forever at a portapotty because I drank too much).  I finished in 2:08 and was pretty happy with that.  Last week I ran the Las vegas Rock and Roll half.  Running on the strip at night was fun!!  That's about the only good thing I can say about the race.  There were 44k people (less than 6k ran the full).  There was basically no crowd control or logistical planning.  Expo start and finish were total messes.  It was really hard to run a consistent pace with that many people.  Lots and lots of walkers seeded themselves in the first few corrals.  And many of them walked in big groups making getting around them hard.  I needed up with a time of 2:10.  I was hoping for closer to 2 hr, but with that many people it was not going to happen.  My Garmin ended up at 13.4 miles!!  Lots of weaving around people.  Next up is the Cowtown 1/2 marathon in February and the Dallas Rock and Roll half in March (after Vegas I have no desire to do another rock and roll event, but I registered for Dallas months ago).

I heard Vegas was a nightmare! Too bad because I was planning on doing it next year. Nice work with the 2:10 anyhow! I think that's awesome. If your first one was a 2:08 and the second a 2:10 with a little more distance and a crap ton of obstacles I'd almost count it as a PR Smile

2011-12-13 3:57 PM

User image

Melon Presser
kussmaul - 2011-12-12 6:26 AM

Hi Teddie, great to hear from you again!!!

DANG! Between that and the race running out of EVERYTHING...super tough chick!!! Your time was great! I hear Cowtown is really fun and well organized, you shoud have a much better experience there. Smaller, too.

So I'm still dying to know ... how did you apply, or find useful, or not, all the sports physio testing you had done?

2011-12-13 4:46 PM
in reply to: #3937313

User image

Dallas, TX
TriAya - 2011-12-13 3:57 PM[So I'm still dying to know ... how did you apply, or find useful, or not, all the sports physio testing you had done?

Ha!! Pretty much I don't. I kind of tried to use my lactate threshold but I don't think the results were accurate. I really felt like crap when they were done. So I am either running for 2 hours above my LT and feeling okay, or the results are to accurate. Mostly I used the kcal/hr burnt to justify eating something I shouldn't.
2011-12-15 8:26 AM
in reply to: #3937370

User image

Melon Presser

kussmaul - 2011-12-14 6:46 AM
TriAya - 2011-12-13 3:57 PM[So I'm still dying to know ... how did you apply, or find useful, or not, all the sports physio testing you had done?
Ha!! Pretty much I don't. I kind of tried to use my lactate threshold but I don't think the results were accurate. I really felt like crap when they were done. So I am either running for 2 hours above my LT and feeling okay, or the results are to accurate. Mostly I used the kcal/hr burnt to justify eating something I shouldn't.

Personally, I think that's an excellent use of information right there.

2011-12-18 11:54 AM

User image

Melon Presser

So, our beloved Manatees ...

It's that time again ... commencement, an end and a beginning, the cycle goes 'round and 'round (so does the swim stroke, so does the running stride ... never mind. Heh.).

A new mentor season is beginning, and we would like to give you all a WARM INVITE to the new Manatee Pod.

The new pods are always open to veteran Manatees, and in fact, we really depend on some of you continuing and giving your experience and input when Lynn and I can't, and also, to provide different or newer perspectives.

The thread is still in the Staging Area, but you are welcome to join whenever you like.

http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/discussion/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=416674&posts=1#M3942879

We've loved and enjoyed all of you, are super humbled by your examples and journeys and that you'd share them with all of us. ALL THE BEST to you, and we hope to see some of you again.

2011-12-18 1:33 PM
in reply to: #3942899

User image

Master
Vista, CA
TriAya - 2011-12-18 9:54 AM

So, our beloved Manatees ...

It's that time again ... commencement, an end and a beginning, the cycle goes 'round and 'round (so does the swim stroke, so does the running stride ... never mind. Heh.).

A new mentor season is beginning, and we would like to give you all a WARM INVITE to the new Manatee Pod.

The new pods are always open to veteran Manatees, and in fact, we really depend on some of you continuing and giving your experience and input when Lynn and I can't, and also, to provide different or newer perspectives.

The thread is still in the Staging Area, but you are welcome to join whenever you like.

http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/discussion/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=416674&posts=1#M3942879

We've loved and enjoyed all of you, are super humbled by your examples and journeys and that you'd share them with all of us. ALL THE BEST to you, and we hope to see some of you again.

Hope to see you in our new digs.  Thanks for sharing your journeys with us!

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Yanti and Lynn, Mentors of the Manatee Melee: FULL Rss Feed  

of 43