BT Development Mentor Program Archives » jsiegs and slornow's Train Hard and Have Fun group - CLOSED for Training Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 56

2011-10-13 10:19 AM
in reply to: #3435676

User image

Veteran
Jacksonville
Subject: RE: jsiegs and slornow's Train Hard and Have Fun group - CLOSED for Training
Yeah Rob! The hard part is done, the weeks and weeks of endlesss training are over, and now it is the fun part...race time! You are going to do great! Rock it, brother!

2011-10-13 5:18 PM

User image

Veteran
Oak Park
Subject: RE: jsiegs and slornow's Train Hard and Have Fun group - CLOSED for Training
DO IT ROB! I know you can!
2011-10-14 6:09 PM

User image

Master
South Alabama

Rob-thats great that you can reflect on everyone that has helped you get to the starting line.  I've enjoyed following your progress and look forward to an amazing race report.  You've done the work so enjoy the race and everything that comes with it.  Its such a huge accomplishment to put in the training and do the race.  I'm confident I would be crying like a baby when I finished thinking back on everyone that supported me.

Keep resting those legs.  Good that you have a veteran IM to help you through the process.

Randy

2011-10-15 6:36 PM
in reply to: #3722321

User image

Extreme Veteran
Edmonds
[email protected] - 2011-10-13 8:41 AM

Down to single digits.  9 days before IM!   Yeah, I am antsy.  Been trying to get lots of rest but with my schedule it's impossible.  I have a great support team, my family and GF Lisa will be there with friends.  I am grateful for them all, without them this is impossible.  My identical twin has done three IM's his wife is going to be running a marathon in NC, they have been my sideline coaches and constant encouragers.  My GF has been awesome, watching my boys on the weekends I have them and have to train, the constant juggling act of kids/training has been made easier b/c of friends and family. 

I will be getting to Clearmont on Thursday night, than registering Friday.  My sister/husband and thier kids, my GF/ her daughter/my kids and my parents are all going to Sea World for the day Friday.  My twin bro will help me register and get done what I need to do, since he has done 3 of these, it really puts my mind at ease having him there. 

So the 'Avola Caravan' is ready to go, next Thursday afternoon I will be traveling to Clearmont, can't wait!!!!!!!

I haven't been on BT much recently, but I am thinking about you and all your amazing training.  I can't wait to read your race report.  Have a blast and take good notes   I want all the details.

Christy

2011-10-17 9:51 PM

User image

Veteran
Jacksonville

Final week, Rob! I am bummed that I won't be able to make it down to Clermont this weekend. I was looking forward to meeting up with you, and becoming an honorary member of your entourage for the day. Best of luck though, I am will anxiously be waiting for your race report. 

2011-10-18 9:20 AM

User image

Veteran
Naples

Thank you all for the encouragement!!!!!  Almost there, I can't believe it!  I am twice as nervous as I was for the HIM in May.  Wahoo! lets do this!

Nick - bummer u can't make it, I will buy you a beer at the next one!

Randy - there will be tons of tears I am sure, can't wait to hear about your first IM

Christy - will give full race report with all the painful details

Nicole - thanks so much for your support and encouragement

Will keep you posted!

2011-10-19 8:58 PM

User image

Master
South Alabama

Rob-hope you have a great race this weekend!

Nicole-Isn't you HM this weekend?  Hope it goes well.

Randy

Edited by slornow 2011-10-19 8:59 PM
2011-10-20 12:50 PM
in reply to: #3730908

User image

Veteran
Oak Park
slornow - 2011-10-19 8:58 PM

Rob-hope you have a great race this weekend!

Nicole-Isn't you HM this weekend?  Hope it goes well.

Randy

Yes, the half is this weekend - on Sunday! I am actually getting pretty nervous about it, but coordinating the logistics of my family that is traveling with me to St. Louis, coupled with a nasty sinus headache I've been battling for FOUR DAYS and a teaching engagement I did earlier this week has kept me from thinking too much about it. 

I'm feeling ready, the only iffy thing is that the sinus headache and resulting lack of sleep have really affected my nutrition. I probably haven't taken in as many calories as I should this week. But that might just be the taper, too. I don't know. I've just been very sleepy and headache-y and on meds all week. Let's hope I'm back to 100% by sunday! 

Rob - ditto - have a great race!

2011-10-21 9:29 PM

User image

Veteran
Jacksonville
Best of luck to Nicole and Rob this weekend!
2011-10-24 1:15 PM

User image

Veteran
Naples

Wahoooooooooo!!!!!!!

14 hours 30 mins 

I AM AN IRONMAN!!!!

2011-10-24 1:17 PM
in reply to: #3736008

User image

Extreme Veteran
Edmonds
[email protected] - 2011-10-24 1:15 PM

Wahoooooooooo!!!!!!!

14 hours 30 mins 

I AM AN IRONMAN!!!!

YEAH!!!! That's awesome.  How was it?  Can you walk today?

2011-10-24 1:21 PM

User image

Veteran
Naples
Race info: Great Floridian Triathlon - Ultra Distance Race
Entry by:
United States  [email protected]

Great Floridian Triathlon - Ultra Distance Race
2011-10-22
Clermont, Florida
United States
Sommer Sports, Inc.
51F / 11C
Sunny

Triathlon - Full Ironman
Total Time = 7h 30m
Overall Rank = 87/195
Age Group = 45-49
Age Group Rank = 11/27

Pre-race routine:

Woke up at 3am ate a PBJ and some chips. Woke for race at 5am. Got dressed, carried water bottles in Yenling 6-pack (got some strange looks). Ate some eggs and toast not really hungry had coffee (about 1/2 a cup). Pretty cool this morning 50 degrees or so. Psyched up! Lets get it started ;)

Event warmup:

Got checked in dropped off all bags went to car to warm up alittle and rest. Just barely got into wet suit and in lake before gun went off. Was good did not have time to get nervous.

Swim

Comments:

Great swim, felt good, water was fine, but cold for me. I swam most of the course breathing out right side and a little bi-lateral. All of my training was bi-lateral, oh well. This was by far my best swim I have ever had. First lap was 35 minutes, second 36 minutes, good pacing.

What would you do differently?:

Got ready a little earlier..

T1

Comments:

Really? 10 min transition? I might as well taken a nap :)

Move a little faster, we did have a good run from lake to changing tent, but my time was slow out of T1

Bike

Comments:

What can I say bike was horrible. Hills were killers, than flats were fighting wind. I injured my knee somewhere on the bike I COULD NOT PUT ANY PRESSURE ON IT and for most of the second lap I was using one leg to do the uphills. I had to walk bike up these hills, knee was shot. could not even bend down. This is where I had to really talk to myself and motivate myself, it was not easy.

Bike is my best event really surprised I did not do well here. Adjust bike, knee felt fine on run, must be something on seat postion.

T2

Comments:

Volunteers racked my bike. It went good. Glad to get off the bike and start run. Slow transition, but who cares when your just trying to finish!

Finished bike ride faster :)

Run

Comments:

Just kept pushing made it through, first three miles where 9:30s did not stop running till about mile 10, felt good. Night was tricky, had head lamp, good thing I did it when it got dark, it was really dark. Temp. dropped 10-15 degrees when sun dropped. My brother rode his bike with me for a last couple of miles really helped. Chicken broth was great when it got cold.

Eat all the way through, I did not eat enough at beginning of run. Bring long sleve shirt for run at night.

Post race

Warm down:

Thank God it's over!

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Bike, hills, wind. All things out of my control.

Event comments:

Very first Ironman! I loved it! Goal was to finish and I did!

Last updated: 2011-10-24 1:00 AM
Swimming
01:11:59 | 4224 yards | 01m 42s / 100yards
Age Group:12/27
Overall:80/195
Performance:Good
Suit:Wet Suit with footies  
Course:Lake - 2 laps
Start type:RunPlus: 
Water temp:62F / 17CCurrent:Low
200M Perf.GoodRemainder:Good
Breathing:GoodDrafting:Good
Waves:GoodNavigation:Good
Rounding:Good
T1
Time:10:18
Performance:Below average
Cap removal:GoodHelmet on/
Suit off:
No
Wetsuit stuck?NoRun with bike:Yes
Jump on bike:No
Getting up to speed:Average
Biking
07:11:19 | 112 miles | 15.58 mile/hr
Age Group:17/27
Overall:131/195
Performance:Bad
Wind:Headwind
Course:HILLY!!!!! 3 laps - lap 1 HUGE hill, laps 2 and 3 lots of rolling hills. Wind was a bear.
Road:Rough DryCadence: 
Turns:GoodCornering:Good
Gear changes:GoodHills:Bad
Race pace:HardDrinks:Just right
T2
Time:11:57
Overall:Average
Riding w/ feet on shoesGood
Jumping off bikeGood
Running with bikeGood
Racking bikeGood
Shoe and helmet removalGood
Running
05:43:42 | 26.200001 miles | 13m 07s  min/mile
Age Group:11/27
Overall:19/195
Performance:Good
Course:Hilly, when it got dark it got cold.
Keeping coolGoodDrinkingJust right
Post race
Weight change:%?
Overall:Good
Mental exertion [1-5]5
Physical exertion [1-5]5
Good race?Yes
Evaluation
Course challengeJust right
Organized?Yes
Events on-time?Yes
Lots of volunteers?Yes
Plenty of drinks?Yes
Post race activities:Good
Race evaluation [1-5]4

BT Partners
D3 Multisport
When Big Boys Tri
TriFind
Road Runner Sports

Race Reports Modeled with Permission from
Endurancecoach's Triathlon Post Race Analysis Sheet.

No photos uploaded  

2011-10-24 1:23 PM
in reply to: #3736012

User image

Veteran
Naples
cbrookhart - 2011-10-24 2:17 PM
[email protected] - 2011-10-24 1:15 PM

Wahoooooooooo!!!!!!!

14 hours 30 mins 

I AM AN IRONMAN!!!!

YEAH!!!! That's awesome.  How was it?  Can you walk today?

Life is good!  I am sore as a dog, going for a massage in 5 minutes but I am on cloud nine, race report just filed.  It was the best life changing thing I have ever done!!!!!!! Can't describe it.

2011-10-24 3:07 PM
in reply to: #3736008

User image

Veteran
Katy, TX

CONGRATULATIONS Rob!!!!

I bet you are over the moon excited!!! What a huge accomplishment Laughing

2011-10-24 3:11 PM
in reply to: #3736019

User image

Veteran
Katy, TX
Great report!! Had you had any knee problems on your bike rides in the past? Sounds like something that would happen to me! Glad you were able to push through it and finish, you are incredible!!
2011-10-24 3:17 PM
in reply to: #3736211

User image

Veteran
Katy, TX

I did my final tri of the year yesterday. You can read my report here: www.harmsweigh.net

I did podium, I came in third, out of three, LOL! But they actually listed some of the women by age group rather than Athena. This tri was really wacky and very unorganized - it was the inaugural.

My day ended even better than it began, it seems as I will in fact be out for 2012, we are expecting baby #2 July 5th I had a feeling I was pregnant, but refused to test before my race!

Even though I haven't been active on this board lately, I still get the notices which means I'm keeping up with the conversation. I hope everyone has a great off season, and an even better 2012!!

Thank you for everything!!

2011-10-24 5:21 PM
in reply to: #3736227

User image

Veteran
Oak Park

Hi Gang! I survived! I finished my first half-marathon. And you know what? It was a toughie. I had a real bad day out there. The race report is here: http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/discussion/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=272543 

I know most of you are ready to sign off, but I would love it if somebody could take a peek and let me know where I went wrong. I would also like to discuss cramping - this is the first time I've ever cramped up during a race and I would like to not have that happen again.

Anyway, despite the cramping, I really did love the experience and I can't wait to take a crack at the distance again. I'm so proud to have finished both of my distance goals for the year: conquering both an Oly distance triathlon and a half-marathon in the same year. Now I just have to work on strengthening those distances next year before jumping into anything bigger. 

But first? A nice long rest week. Ahhh.....  and to allow myself a little bit of time to appreciate all that I've experienced and learned this year. 

2011-10-24 5:24 PM
in reply to: #3736438

User image

Veteran
Oak Park
Rob - you did it! Amazing! Congratulations! And, your T1 comment made me laugh out loud. Great job! You are an ironman! What a tremendous accomplishment.
2011-10-24 5:25 PM

User image

Veteran
Oak Park
Karla - congrats on your tri and especially on the pregnancy! So you did your last race of the season while preggo. Maybe you will grow a little triathlete in there  
2011-10-24 7:35 PM

User image

Master
South Alabama

Wow! Busy here today....lots of good race reports.

Karla-great to have you check in. Congrats on the family expansion.  Really enjoyed the race report and pics.  There are no easy solutions with running.....it just takes time and miles.  Great job on the race thanks for sharing it with us.

Nicole-sorry about the cramps.  You showed alot of heart finishing with all of that going on.  Wish I could help more with the cramps.  Do agree that hydrating in the days before the race is important.  During the actual race you really dont need a ton of fluids.  You put some great training in and accomplished your goal of completing the race. You should be proud..you did a great job.

Rob-well we got us an Ironman in our group now. Loved the race report and have enjoyed following you in your journey to the finish line.  Absolutely super job.....you are a ROCKSTAR!!! When is your next IM

Randy  

2011-10-26 11:57 AM

User image

Veteran
Naples

khharms - 2011-10-24 4:11 PM Great report!! Had you had any knee problems on your bike rides in the past? Sounds like something that would happen to me! Glad you were able to push through it and finish, you are incredible!!

Thanks : ),  Knee had been a little sore before but never like this, I think the hills had a lot to do with it too.  Yeah, only i train for a year for an event almost injury free and than race day get hurt

I am taking a few weeks off (yahoo!) and basking in the glory and beer! 

2011-10-26 11:57 AM

User image

Veteran
Naples

khharms - 2011-10-24 4:11 PM Great report!! Had you had any knee problems on your bike rides in the past? Sounds like something that would happen to me! Glad you were able to push through it and finish, you are incredible!!

Thanks : ),  Knee had been a little sore before but never like this, I think the hills had a lot to do with it too.  Yeah, only i train for a year for an event almost injury free and than race day get hurt

I am taking a few weeks off (yahoo!) and basking in the glory and beer! 

2011-10-26 12:30 PM
in reply to: #3736441

User image

Veteran
Naples

nmladic - 2011-10-24 6:24 PM Rob - you did it! Amazing! Congratulations! And, your T1 comment made me laugh out loud. Great job! You are an ironman! What a tremendous accomplishment.

Thanks, great half marathon, sorry to hear about the struggles but thats what makes these fun great job!!!!

2011-10-27 11:02 AM

User image

Veteran
Oak Park

Rob- Agree! I'm all ready to race again! I already miss the party. 

So.... what are you all doing next year?

2011-10-28 10:31 AM
in reply to: #3740547

User image

Master
South Alabama
nmladic - 2011-10-27 11:02 AM

So.... what are you all doing next year?

Next year???? Good question.  I will probably continue to do mostly sprint and olympic distance events.  Maybe an early season (May) or Fall HIM.  Just depends on how work and family schedules look.  My son will be graduating HS next May so I am sure there will be some time commitments associated with that and the final part of the college search. Daughter will be a HS senior next year so lots going on there.

First event will be a local Sprint in late March or early April.  Right now I am just putting in miles on the bike and running to maintain a decent base. I got in the pool for the first time yesterday in 6-7 weeks and what do you know....I still do not really like swimming

Hope everyone has a good weekend!

Randy 

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » jsiegs and slornow's Train Hard and Have Fun group - CLOSED for Training Rss Feed  

of 56