BT Development Mentor Program Archives » jsiegs and slornow's Train Hard and Have Fun group - CLOSED for Training Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 56

2011-09-27 5:38 AM
in reply to: #3701468

User image

Master
South Alabama
Subject: RE: jsiegs and slornow's Train Hard and Have Fun group - CLOSED for Training
Nick-great job in Augusta.  I'm with you on wetsuit swims!   Followed you and a few local folks off and on Sunday. Looks like you had a consistent race in s/b/r.  Looking forward to the race report.

Randy

2011-09-27 10:39 AM
in reply to: #3701272

User image

Veteran
Naples
Subject: RE: jsiegs and slornow's Train Hard and Have Fun group - CLOSED for Training
Savage8778 - 2011-09-26 7:46 PM

Hey Guys...

Well, my first Half-Ironman is in the books. This was potentially the most incredible and humbling experiences I have ever gone through. I will post a full-race report in the next day or two. But here are few key things that come to mind:

1) My nutrition plan is my Achilles heel.

2) The hills of South Carolina really kicked my Florida butt, mainly because my novice gearing knowledge prevented me from properly tackling the hills. Read: I was too conservative going into them, and would essentially lose all my speed going to the bottom of the hill in hopes of 'saving' my legs for the run.

3) I REALLY like Wetsuit swims.

4) This sport is utterly addiciting

5) I am doing a Full Ironman next year...without a doubt.

Great job! I agree with your post race assesment!!!!!  I can totally relate!

2011-09-27 10:51 AM
in reply to: #3701285

User image

Veteran
Naples
Savage8778 - 2011-09-26 7:56 PM

I forgot to add, I ended up finish at 5:39.

And honestly, in spite of my nutrition problems I am extremely happy.

My first (and only) HIM was 5:41.  You beat me by 2 minutes   Great job!!!!!

2011-09-27 5:38 PM
in reply to: #3702073

User image

Veteran
Katy, TX

Hola, ya'll miss me?

I've been lurking, sort of - getting all the thread updates at least! Nick, congrats on your first HIM!! (Rob, sorry for the confusion!) I haven't had a chance to read all the deatils yet, but I will this evening.

As for me... I took some time off from the Aug Tri. We thought we were going to expand our family, but apparently someone else has plans for us right now, so I took that as a sign that I am meant to do one more tri. I haven't signed up yet, but this will definitely close my season. It's a full sprint, Oct 30th, and the only guarantee I know of, there will be a swim!! The lake is pumped so no fear of drought. Knowing Houston, we'll get a freeze the week before and it will be wetsuit legal and throw everything off, yet again!

I plan on racing in the Athena group, maybe it will help boost some confidence on my competitive side! I have two friends for sure doing this race with me, but thankfully we are all different ages,and they did not sign up for Athena. Phew!

I've been spinning, I got on the trainer yesterday, I have not been running or swimming... so basically I'm time crunching this training! I am not focusing on running, and in fact, will most likely power walk/jog it. I'm going to focus on the bike this time and see if I can't get my average at or above 17 mph. I'll be doing some open water swimming over the next few weeks, as well as going back to Tri Training.

We'll see what happens! Hope everyone is doing well!!

2011-09-27 8:43 PM
in reply to: #3435676

User image

Master
South Alabama
Karla-great to have you check in.  Hope that pretty new bike hasn't been getting dusty   Weather should be great near Houston that time of year.  I did a HIM north of Houston in early Nov. 2010 and it was 35 degrees when we began the swim.  Water temp was around 74 so I used a wetsuit but some folks didn't.  It ended up being a beautiful day and a perfect day for racing. 

Glad to hear that you are still at it.  Keep up the good work!!!

Randy
2011-09-28 6:02 PM

User image

Veteran
Jacksonville

Just wanted to let you know, I posted my race report. It is a little long, and scattered brain, but I wanted to document all the thoughts I had post-race about the experience, so I can reference this later on and learn.

http://beginnertriathlete.com/discussion/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=270095

2011-09-28 7:53 PM

User image

Master
South Alabama
Nick-enjoyed the race report.  You should be proud...that's really solid for your first HIM.  Make sure to write down/record exactly what you did nutrition wise...water, calories etc.  I will be helpful when you do your next HIM.  Its likely to be several months before you do another long tri so its hard to remember specifics after several months.

Anything else planned for the Fall?

Randy
2011-09-29 6:52 PM

User image

Veteran
Jacksonville

Randy,

I wrote down as much information as I could regarding my nutrition. I wish I would've wrote down exactly what I ate the day before, and the day of the race for the HOT, as I felt great during the race itself (nutrition-wise).

As for the fall, I would love to do an Oly, but I think I am going to refrain...heck, the day after Augusta I was trying to find one last HIM before the end of the year.

I want to focus on marathon training for the beginning part of February. First part of November (once IMFL registration opens) will tell what full 140.6 I have in store for 2012...Either IMFL, Beach 2 Battleship, or Great Floridian. I am also looking to do at least 1 OLY (St. Anthony's), 2 HIM (Orlando, and possibly Augusta).

I am excited at the possibility of a BIG year. I hope I can get into IMFL, I am tempted to head over to Panama City for the day to Volunteer, so I have a better chance at getting in.

2011-09-30 8:32 AM

User image

Veteran
Naples

well the BIG training is over, but this weekend is still going to be long. 

Friday - 1 hour swim easy. Run or bike 30 mins

Sat - Swim 30 mins. Bike 5 hours. Run 50 mins

Sun - Run 2 hours

Believe it or not I am looking forward to this   call me weird, my workouts this week have been strong and fast, as I go into the final 3 weeks I want to increase speed a little but still get myself rested to run on the 22nd.  Cant believe IM is 22 days away!  Wow almost there

Edited by [email protected] 2011-09-30 8:35 AM
2011-09-30 8:43 AM

User image

Veteran
Jacksonville

Rob, you got this brotha!

I am thinking about heading over to spectate the race since we have a few guys from my LBS that are doing the race. If I end up going I will have to get your bib number so I can get extra rowdy for you....Not hard, I am kind of a loud mouth (must of been all the pep talks given in football).

2011-10-03 10:08 AM
in reply to: #3706266

User image

Veteran
Naples
Savage8778 - 2011-09-30 9:43 AM

Rob, you got this brotha!

I am thinking about heading over to spectate the race since we have a few guys from my LBS that are doing the race. If I end up going I will have to get your bib number so I can get extra rowdy for you....Not hard, I am kind of a loud mouth (must of been all the pep talks given in football).

Sweet!  I will let u know once I find out my bib number.  My number is 239-634-2165 shot me a text when you get in, we are heading up thursday night and would be cool to say hi.  Staying at Marriot.

2011-10-03 10:12 AM

User image

Veteran
Naples

Exhausting weeekend of training, but felt good. 

Friday - 1 hour swim

Saturday - Swim 30 mins than 80 miles on bike avg 20mph and than an hour run

Sunday - Ran 10 1:23:35 

All of the workout were good and strong, my swim Saturday morning was in the dark, for some reason my condo commanders don't feel like lights are a good thing for a pool.  Brillant!

2011-10-04 12:44 PM

User image

Master
South Alabama
Hey gang-hope everyone is enjoying some nice Fall weather.  I am in Chattanooga to pick up my son for his Fall break tomorrow.  A couple of college visits with him on Thursday and Friday and then home for a few days.

Had a spectacular run this morning on the trails on Lookout Mountain.  Parked at the famous/infamous Rock City/Ruby Falls parking lot and did a little over eight miles along great crushed gravel and packed dirt trails. After one long climb was rewarded with a great view overlooking Chattanooga and the Tennessee River.  So nice to get away from the pounding of concrete sidewalks.  Clear and cool morning and warming up this afternoon.

Randy  
2011-10-05 9:26 AM
in reply to: #3710931

User image

Veteran
Oak Park

Hi guys! I for one am LOVING the fall weather. And, if the forecast holds up, Sunday will be the first day in many weeks that I don't get POURED on during my long run. Yahoo.

Question. The Chicago Marathon is on Sunday and I'm thinking about doing my long run (9 miles) with the marathoners. Like, pick a mile marker, jump in, run 9 miles, then jump out. How crazy is that? I don't think it would be difficult; in the middle of the race, there aren't really barriers stopping people from running into the race course. Yay or nay? Thoughts?

2011-10-05 12:24 PM
in reply to: #3712171

User image

Veteran
Naples
nmladic - 2011-10-05 10:26 AM

Hi guys! I for one am LOVING the fall weather. And, if the forecast holds up, Sunday will be the first day in many weeks that I don't get POURED on during my long run. Yahoo.

Question. The Chicago Marathon is on Sunday and I'm thinking about doing my long run (9 miles) with the marathoners. Like, pick a mile marker, jump in, run 9 miles, then jump out. How crazy is that? I don't think it would be difficult; in the middle of the race, there aren't really barriers stopping people from running into the race course. Yay or nay? Thoughts?

Since no one has chimmed in, I will, you all are probably going to hate me after this, but for what it is worth here is my 2 cents on the issue.  Let me say that I am far from perfect and not a saint by any stretch of the imagination, but having orgainzed races in the past I have strong feelings about this.

Moral Dilemma.......  I have personally never done it.  I have ran Chicago twice and paid the entrance fee.  If you are going to run it, pay the fee.  Bandits are exactly that,,, bandits.   When people jump into a race that I pay for, it pisses me off because it is not the right thing to do.  Your taking advantage of what I have paid for.  The race has paid for the city streets to be cleared, the insurance, the police, the city, its a major expense and you want to just jump in?  Compare it to going to the a show, you pay for the seat, how would you feel if someone just snuck in and sat next to you when you paid full price for your ticket. It urks you becasue its not fair or right.   Having been a race director (on a much smaller scale than the Chicago Marathon), you have no idea what a liability you become, what if you get hurt or hurt someone else, than the race is responsible for you.   

Now having said that, you asked for my thoughts, there they r.  Please don't hate me, but I would never encourage you to do this, its sunday, run the lake front not the marathon route.  All in all  you have to sleep with yourself.     I could not do what you want to do, to me it's just not right.  But that is just me.

2011-10-06 9:37 AM
in reply to: #3712444

User image

Veteran
Oak Park
[email protected] - 2011-10-05 12:24 PM

Since no one has chimmed in, I will, you all are probably going to hate me after this, but for what it is worth here is my 2 cents on the issue.  Let me say that I am far from perfect and not a saint by any stretch of the imagination, but having orgainzed races in the past I have strong feelings about this.

Moral Dilemma.......  I have personally never done it.  I have ran Chicago twice and paid the entrance fee.  If you are going to run it, pay the fee.  Bandits are exactly that,,, bandits.   When people jump into a race that I pay for, it pisses me off because it is not the right thing to do.  Your taking advantage of what I have paid for.  The race has paid for the city streets to be cleared, the insurance, the police, the city, its a major expense and you want to just jump in?  Compare it to going to the a show, you pay for the seat, how would you feel if someone just snuck in and sat next to you when you paid full price for your ticket. It urks you becasue its not fair or right.   Having been a race director (on a much smaller scale than the Chicago Marathon), you have no idea what a liability you become, what if you get hurt or hurt someone else, than the race is responsible for you.   

Now having said that, you asked for my thoughts, there they r.  Please don't hate me, but I would never encourage you to do this, its sunday, run the lake front not the marathon route.  All in all  you have to sleep with yourself.     I could not do what you want to do, to me it's just not right.  But that is just me.

Hey thanks for the opinion! In Chicago a lot of people "jump in" for a bit to encourage other runners, run with friends, etc., so I didn't realize it was a huge deal for the race organizers. I thought the general consensus was that you could jump in and out as long as you were totally out by the finish line - there was a report in the Trib one year that basically made that point (long ago). I actually had never thought of it from a liability/financial/race organizer perspective, but if I'm running only a portion of the course, and not taking anything from the aid/water stations, there's no way I'd pay to run it. Conversely, if I was running all 26 miles and some friends offered to run a few of them with me, I would welcome it. As a runner, I don't mind when people run for a few miles on a course (I think it's kind of cool because maybe they'll get inspired and next year run the whole thing officially), but that's just me. I'm not an organizer. 

Re: clearing streets, police, etc. - -some of that is subsidized by the city, right? (I tried to look it up but didn't find anything.) And, per the cost, don't ~10,000 drop out before they start for races like this? So theoretically, they would have been covered.

Anyhoo, it doesn't really work out for my schedule to go downtown on Sunday anyway so I will be running elsewhere. 

Edited by nmladic 2011-10-06 12:05 PM

2011-10-06 5:25 PM
in reply to: #3713534

User image

Veteran
Oak Park
And PS, Rob I would never never hate you! You're in my training group, for goodness sakes' Wink I DID ask for opinions, and yours was one I had never considered. Mind officially expanded. Thank you!
2011-10-09 6:52 AM

User image

Veteran
Jacksonville

Hey all,

Checking in real quick before I go knock out an 8-miler on the treadmill..Yuck (but better than running in 30-35 mph wind and rain). At least I have some amazing inspiration...I watched Kona for most of the day yesterday, luckily I had lots of studying to do so I was needing to be around the computer. I woke up at 5a this morning to watch the 16-17 hour finishers and I could not think of a better way to start the day off. I think we all need to remember, we often become our own biggest critic or hindering factor. Let's live to the Ironman motto, 'Anything IS Possible."

If you asked me 5-7 years ago if I would be starting to train for an Ironman, after completing a Half-Ironman, I would have called you crazy. I could barely of run/walked 2-3 miles. This journey is one that I have learned so many great lessons from, time-management, nutrition, and simple things like taking a deep breath of fresh air while on the bike or run, and simply looking around at the scenery.

...Stepping off my soapbox now...

2011-10-09 3:26 PM

User image

Master
South Alabama
Nick-I always enjoy following Kona.  I wish it were broadcast live other than on the computer feed.  The broadcast in December is good but a little "polished".

Well, I got on the bike  today after almost 2 weeks away.  Did an easy 20 miler followed by a 30 minute run.  Run volume has been up over the last few weeks due to travel....now its time to spend some quality time with my bike.  Still trying to hit 5000 miles biking for the year so can't get too lazy.

Hope everyone has a great week.

Randy
2011-10-09 7:27 PM

User image

Veteran
Jacksonville

Randy,

I am looking forward to the broadcast in December, I have watched the other years 'episodes'/DVDs of Kona and love the mix between age group and pro coverage. Confession: I actually have the 2008-2010 on my iPhone, and when I run on the treadmill and feeling unmotivated I watch that while I run. I tend to run really strong when I am watching everyone finish. Hopefully it builds to a positive relationship (mentally) when I complete my 140.6 next year.

Also wanted everyone to know (I can't remember if I already put this in the thread or not), I am going to volunteer at IMFL this year so that I can get a spot for next year. This is very real, yet very far away, but I am ready to become an Ironman.

2011-10-10 9:51 AM

User image

Veteran
Oak Park
Hi gang! Just a quick note to say that I'm 13 days away from my first 13.1. Yipee! 

2011-10-11 7:40 AM

User image

Master
South Alabama

Nick-I suspect being a volunteer at IMFL this year will be very motivating.  Several folks from over this way are doing the race.  It should work out well for you next year as it is fairly close and you are familiar with weather, surroundings etc.  Its a long road to the start in Nov. 2012...don't overdo it early.  Show up healthy to the starting line and you will do very well.

Nicole-can't wait to hear about the race. Your training looks solid...nice long run over the weekend!

Randy

2011-10-11 7:45 AM

User image

Veteran
Naples

11 days and counting!  Did not get a chance to watch the Kona IM, was my sons 9th bday, big family day.   Every day I am watching IM videos on YouTube, fun stuff providing plenty of inspiration, I am getting to a point that I can't stand still, just want to race!!!!!!!!

Swam 3600 meters yesterday and got a massage.  Today is an hour ride on the stationary bike.

Enjoy your day!

2011-10-11 6:53 PM
in reply to: #3718861

User image

Veteran
Jacksonville
slornow - 2011-10-11 8:40 AM

Its a long road to the start in Nov. 2012...don't overdo it early.  Show up healthy to the starting line and you will do very well.

Easier said than done...I just signed up for the online coaching on here, and i am trying to get the plan to lay out to peak in time for IMFL next year. I am just trying to find a good maintenance plan while being able to build for my full marathon in February.

2011-10-13 8:41 AM

User image

Veteran
Naples

Down to single digits.  9 days before IM!   Yeah, I am antsy.  Been trying to get lots of rest but with my schedule it's impossible.  I have a great support team, my family and GF Lisa will be there with friends.  I am grateful for them all, without them this is impossible.  My identical twin has done three IM's his wife is going to be running a marathon in NC, they have been my sideline coaches and constant encouragers.  My GF has been awesome, watching my boys on the weekends I have them and have to train, the constant juggling act of kids/training has been made easier b/c of friends and family. 

I will be getting to Clearmont on Thursday night, than registering Friday.  My sister/husband and thier kids, my GF/ her daughter/my kids and my parents are all going to Sea World for the day Friday.  My twin bro will help me register and get done what I need to do, since he has done 3 of these, it really puts my mind at ease having him there. 

So the 'Avola Caravan' is ready to go, next Thursday afternoon I will be traveling to Clearmont, can't wait!!!!!!!

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » jsiegs and slornow's Train Hard and Have Fun group - CLOSED for Training Rss Feed  

of 56