XTERRA
65F / 18C
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 52m 4s
Overall Rank = 10/52
Age Group =
Age Group Rank = 1/4
Pre-race routine:

Got up a bit earlier so I wouldn't feel rushed. About 30 minutes earlier or so. Relaxed a bit, calmly made some coffee and breakfast (a couple of granola bars and some Gatorade).

Easy drive to the race and I had an idea to stop off at a gas station prior to getting there to take care of business and avoid the long lines at the porta potties. LOVED IT!

I was one of the last people to arrive, and there was limited space on the racks. Didn't help that some people felt like they needed about an acre of space to layout all their gear. Finally, a nice lady offered to move her bike over about 8" and gave me JUST enough space to squeeze in.
Event warmup:

None, water was TOO cold to really get in early. So, jumped in about 4 minutes before the start and just swam the 100 yards to the start and tread water.
Swim
  • 17m 36s
  • 750 meters
  • 02m 21s / 100 meters
Comments:

Great swim. Pretty much just went all out considering the distance. Drafted when I could, but was pretty much solo.

This race did NOT record T1 and T2 splits and ended up adding them to the swim and bike times.

If anything surprised me about this race, it was coming out of the water 7th overall. NICE!

My actual swim split was probably 2 minutes faster (according to my watch and when I hit the "lap" button). But so is everyone else's.
Transition 1
  • 00m
Comments:

This race did not record T1 and T2 times. According to my watch and when I pressed the button, it was about 4:30 with the extra MTB gear and all the travel in and out of T1
What would you do differently?:

Probably ditch the camelback? BUT, it has all my tools and it's MUCH easier to drink from when the terrain is rough. Getting a water bottle in and out would be rough. So most likely? Keep the camelback...
Bike
  • 1h 06m 58s
  • 30 kms
  • 26.88 km/hr
Comments:

Biking was solid. Pushed it the entire ride and averaged 168 HR. That's almost LT for the bike.

I was pretty happy with the bike. I think I got passed by 4-5 people, but passed 1 back. So maybe lost 3 spots overall during the ride.

I was quite please with my bike skills on this course. However, on a steep downhill, I did get on the brakes a bit hard AND hit a rut, so ended up flipping over my handlebars! FUN! (not really!). I got some minor scrapes on the knee, forearm, and palms, but I was back up in seconds and off again. So no real damage done.

OTOH, it may not have cost me spots (who knows) but on two steep climbs, the ground got a bit loose and I spun out and had to unclip. And at THAT grade, it's VERY hard to get back up and going, so I ended up running the bike up the hills. I'm better than that :( Oh well... Next time, I'll shoot for a clean ride.

I was pretty pleased at the lack of passes on the ride. Typically, I lose most of the spots I gained from a good swim. In this case, I pretty much held my position.
Transition 2
  • 00m
Comments:

Not really sure about the T2 time since they did not record them. Based on my watch, it was about 2 minutes with the travel time.
Run
  • 27m 30s
  • 5 kms
  • 05m 30s  min/km
Comments:

Really pushed it again. Averaged 170 HR. I FINALLY felt strong on a run after a hard bike. I think I have the fitness to hammer the bike AND have enough for the run these days! At least for the shorter races.

I got passed by one runner, but caught a couple more, so held steady or gained a spot back. It was nice to pass more than be passed during the run!
Post race
Warm down:

Just ate and drank and kind of "walked it off". Legs felt really good and I didn't feel as "trashed" as I have in other races. Improved fitness.

Event comments:

This was the first race of the season, and first race after dropping some weight and really working on fitness and it REALLY showed.

I signed up for Clydesdale, and looking back, shouldn't have. But I just didn't know my abilities for this race. First race of the season, second XTERRA ever... I CRUSHED the other clydes. Came in 17 minutes faster than second place (in a roughly 2 hr race).

If I would have raced AG, I would STILL have been second (but out of first by 5 minutes).

I know I mentioned it, but the weight loss has been such a help. Granted, I probably put 6 lbs back on from my low about 3 weeks ago. Not really sure how that happened... BUT, I still raced about 20 lbs lighter (AND more fit) than I normally do. Can't wait to get back on the program and get down 20 more to my desired race weight for IMAZ.

I know it's early, but this race helped with the confidence, and proving my work has paid off. I have another this weekend, so we'll see if it was just a fluke!

Last updated: 2011-03-30 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:17:36 | 750 meters | 02m 21s / 100meters
Age Group: 1/4
Overall: 7/52
Performance: Good
Suit: Full
Course: Out and back at Lake Las Vegas
Start type: Deep Water Plus: Shot
Water temp: 62F / 17C Current: Low
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting: Average
Waves: Navigation: Good
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 00:00
Cap removal: Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike:
Jump on bike:
Getting up to speed:
Biking
01:06:58 | 30 kms | 26.88 km/hr
Overall: 21/52
Wind: Little
Course: Off road at Lake Las Vegas
Road: Rough Dry Cadence:
Turns: Average Cornering: Average
Gear changes: Good Hills: Average
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 00:00
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike
Racking bike
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
00:27:30 | 05 kms | 05m 30s  min/km
Overall: 14/52
Course: Out and back at Lake Las Vegas
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 5
Physical exertion [1-5] 5
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2011-04-11 10:58 AM

User image

Sensei
Sin City
Subject: XTERRA Lake Las Vegas - Sport

2011-04-11 12:12 PM
in reply to: #3439878

User image

Master
Surprise, Arizona
Subject: RE: XTERRA Lake Las Vegas - Sport
WOW!  Super race, Jim.  A wreck and you still finished with a 17 minute cushion - spectacular!  You've really put in some impressive work this winter - time to get the benefits!
2011-04-11 1:00 PM

User image

Champion
Chicago
Great Race!!!
2011-04-11 3:08 PM

User image

Pro
Sarasota FL
I know I've already said this, but killler job Jim.  I can't wait to read the rest of the RR's this season from you!
2011-04-12 11:59 AM

User image

Pro
Norwalk, Connecticut

Jim,  great job!!!  I have to do an x-terra some day!!!

Congrats on a great finish!!

2011-04-12 12:17 PM
in reply to: #3442377

User image

Austin, Texas
Great job on the race Jim....and congrats on the weight loss. 

2011-04-14 5:03 AM

User image

Melon Presser
Dang, Mr. Superfit Clyde ... you crushed it and you DESERVED to. Awesome training, awesome racing, redlined and left it all there. Congrats.
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » XTERRA Lake Las Vegas - Sport Rss Feed