BBSC Endurance Sports
75F / 24C
Sunny
Total Time = 2h 49m 30s
Overall Rank = 69/227
Age Group = Clydesdale 40+
Age Group Rank = 4/10
Pre-race routine:

I wanted to repeat the routine I did the week before at the XTERRA in which I had a good race. So, early to rise, casual breakfast of granola bars and a spot of coffee, a stop at a McDonalds to hit the rest room to avoid the lines at the race, etc...

Once again, I was a one of the last to show up, so had to park FAR away, and needed to beg for space at the bike rack. And once again, people taking up WAY too much space than needed...

PLEASE NOTE: My actual splits are correct, but my ranking overall is a bit sketchy. The race results posted are a bit sketchy with lots of missing data and missing split times. So I'm sort of estimating and assume I'm 1-2 people off in my overall standings. My division rankings are correct.
Event warmup:

None! Got sidetracked talking to Jim Cruse, and ALMOST missed our start! We looked up and saw our wave in the water, with only 3 mintues before the gun! So it was a mad dash to get to our positions and goggle/cap on.
Swim
  • 28m 40s
  • 1640 yards
  • 01m 45s / 100 yards
Comments:

Swim was good. Navigation was spot on and drafted better than I have in the past. I have to admit, I was not sure how I felt for this race. Not as "pumped up" as I would have hoped. In fact, felt a bit tired during the last 1/3 of the race and wondered if I was going to have a bad day.
Transition 1
  • 03m 6s
Comments:

Average T1. I got stuck behind a lot of cyclist trying to get out of T1 who SEEMED to be satisfied with walking out when I wanted to run through T1 (but no room to pass)

Fastest time in T1 of my division! lol!
Bike
  • 1h 23m 27s
  • 24.85 miles
  • 17.87 mile/hr
Comments:

I thought the bike felt pretty good. I felt pretty strong and didn't feel like I got passed up THAT much. I seemed to be in a solid Z4. Maybe too hard, but I was successful with that last weekend, so decided to try it again.

Dropped my chain once and had to pull over to get it back on. That sucked. Lost about 30 seconds or so?
Transition 2
  • 01m 51s
Comments:

Typical transition. I was first in my division again! If there were division awards for transitions, I would clean up! It's funny, because I don't think I'm doing anything fast. Just changing. I even start to wonder what's taking everyone so long. Transitions are simple.
What would you do differently?:

Not struggle with racking the bike.
Run
  • 52m 27s
  • 6.21 miles
  • 08m 27s  min/mile
Comments:

I felt a bit sluggish on the run. It could have been the fact the first half was all up hill OR, I may have pushed too hard on the bike. I KNOW I didn't drink enough on the bike.

The return trip after the turn around was MUCH faster. I was averaging 9:20 min/mile on the way out, and almost 7:30/mile on the way back.

I was third in my division BUT, only 21 seconds faster, so I was right up there.
What would you do differently?:

Drink more on the bike.
Post race
Warm down:

Slammed down some water and immediately got in line at the massage tent. My guy was terrific! Must have worked on me for 30-45 mintutes! I felt great afterwards!

Indulged in a beer at the beer tent and had the pasta dinner they offered to the athletes.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Weight and perhaps going too hard on the bike? Still trying to decide. Also, need to drink more. I did well with drinking the weekend before, but not this race. Got one less bottle in me than I wanted.

Event comments:

When I was done with the massage and eating, I decided to check the results that were posted. According to those, I was third in my division! YAY! I was going to get more hardware! SO... I stuck around to wait for the awards ceremony. When they FINALLY got to my division, when they annouced who was third, it wasn't me!!!! Apparently, they put the third place guy in the wrong division and he straigtened it out and JUST squeeked out third and beat me by 49 seconds.

As a side note? If he was 200 lbs, he was like 205. The guys that were 1st and 2nd were legitimate clydesdales, but third? I don't know. But if he was over 200 he was over and them's the rules, and I just need to get faster!

Honestly? I was sort of banking on getting hardware to prove myself... to myself becuase I was not very happy with the overall time. I have been faster on one occasion and I thought I have done a LOT more work this year with the training and the weight loss... So for several days, I was a bit dejected with my results...

HOWEVER, once I got in and studied them and compared them to the past? I shouldn't be too upset. My best time was only 2 minutes faster in St. George, which is a faster course I think.

I had my fastest swim time EVER in an Oly.
I had my fastest bike pace EVER out at Lake Mead.
I had my fastest run EVER in an Olympic length race.

Also, I seemed to have moved up in my overall rankings and division rankings. SO, I guess I can't complain! I just need to drop 20 more lbs and get a bit more fit, and I will be there.

As a side note, hung out with fellow BTer Jim Cruse for most of the pre/post race. Good times! Nice to catch up and shoot the shit! ;)

Last updated: 2011-03-30 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:28:40 | 1640 yards | 01m 45s / 100yards
Age Group: 1/10
Overall: 36/227
Performance: Good
Suit: Full
Course: Boulder Beach at Lake Mead
Start type: Wade Plus: Waves
Water temp: 62F / 17C Current: Low
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting: Good
Waves: Navigation: Good
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 03:06
Cap removal: Average Helmet on/
Suit off:
Yes
Wetsuit stuck? Yes Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Average
Biking
01:23:27 | 24.85 miles | 17.87 mile/hr
Age Group: 4/10
Overall: 83/227
Ave HR = 164
Wind: Little
Course: Out and back at Lake Mead
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Average Hills: Average
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Not enough
T2
Time: 01:51
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Average
Shoe and helmet removal Average
Running
00:52:27 | 06.21 miles | 08m 27s  min/mile
Age Group: 3/10
Overall: 76/227
Ave HR = 170
Course: Out and Back at Lake Mead
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Too hard
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2011-04-18 11:43 AM

User image

Sensei
Sin City
Subject: RAGE Triathlon - Olympic

2011-04-18 11:53 AM
in reply to: #3452624

User image

Pro
Norwalk, Connecticut
Subject: RE: RAGE Triathlon - Olympic

you are off to a stellar start to the year!!  Congrats!!

as for AG placing, you just never know who shows up, that time coulda won it in a diffrent year or race.

Congrats on beating PR's for time in different legs of the race!!! Nice job Jimmy!!

2011-04-18 1:25 PM

User image

Master
Surprise, Arizona
Great race, Jim.  I'm sorry I didn't get to talk to you out there.  I know you were initially a little disappointed, but I wanted to call your attention to a critical piece of your race report:

I had my fastest swim time EVER in an Oly.
I had my fastest bike pace EVER out at Lake Mead.
I had my fastest run EVER in an Olympic length race.

This is FANTASTIC!  There were some speeeedy people in our division on Saturday, and that's just the way it worked out.  Keep the focus on the things you can control (like how much improvement you are showing) and you'll see that you had a great day out there!!
2011-04-18 3:13 PM

User image

I'm going to second what BH said, you looked real strong and fresh when we passed each other on the run.

Congrats!!!
2011-04-18 4:42 PM

User image

Champion
Austin, Texas

Great race Jim!!!

And HUGE congrats on having some of your PB's happen during the race... and it's just the beginning of the season!  Only good things from now on. 

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » RAGE Triathlon - Olympic Rss Feed