USAT
95F / 35C
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 03m 30s
Overall Rank = 147/587
Age Group = 35-39
Age Group Rank = 17/64
Pre-race routine:

Oatmeal and coffee, then some Gatorade on the drive.
Event warmup:

Short run and then several 50 meter pick-ups.
Swim
  • 05m 12s
  • 328 yards
  • 01m 35s / 100 yards
Comments:

I passed several people who missed guessed their 300m time but settled into a zone after the first 150m. I caught a large gulp of water on the 3rd turn and had to cough on every stroke for about 50m. Hard to get breathing back under control after that.
What would you do differently?:

More interval pool work on speed for longer distances. Above race pace for 200yards, etc.
Transition 1
  • 00m 52s
Comments:

I must not have been the only person who had a hard time in T1 since my AG rank was 8th out of 64. This was the worst T1 I can remember for me. I got out of the pool and headed into T1 and completely could not find my bike, even after looking right at it, TWICE! Then I had a hard time getting into my shoes on the pedals. The rubber band holding on shoe broke as I jumped on the bike and the shoe started swinging around and ended up upside down under my foot. Overall, both misqueues cost me 20 seconds.

Don't brain fart on the bike location and practice speed transitions more on the bike.
Bike
  • 25m 45s
  • 10 miles
  • 23.30 mile/hr
Comments:

I felt out of sync on the bike and I could not find the right gear. The 95 degree heat and near 85% humidity didnt help. I ended up on the big chain ring pushing a heavy gear.

Move down to the smaller chain ring and spin faster, especially towards the end.
Transition 2
  • 00m 58s
Comments:

Good T2 but slower than T1???? I don't know what took so long in T2 unless it took me longer to put my shoes on than I thought.

Not sure
Run
  • 30m 41s
  • 3 miles
  • 10m 14s  min/mile
Comments:

What can I say? I suck at running and all the work I did on the swim and bike slowly slips away on the run. I was in the top 6 heading out of T2 and ended up in 17th place. I ran the whole time, just slowly. My legs felt fine off the bike, I just didn't have any extra energy to go faster.
Post race
Warm down:

Ice cold wet towels and shade. Nothing really worked with a heat index above 100 degrees.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Heat, humidty, 6 mile run the day before?

Event comments:

There is nothing fancy about this race, except for the great race t-shirts and the easy course. I just love doing this race since it was the first Tri that I ever did (1999). It's worth doing for a first timer or beginner in the Houston area. It's easy and well run.

Last updated: 2005-08-21 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:05:12 | 328 yards | 01m 35s / 100yards
Age Group: 6/64
Overall: 0/587
Performance: Average
Suit:
Course: This is a 300m pool swim. Swimmers are seeded by swim time and start every 10 seconds.
Start type: Inside Pool Plus: Waves
Water temp: 0F / 0C Current:
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Average
Breathing: Average Drafting: Average
Waves: Average Navigation: Average
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 00:52
Performance: Bad
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Yes
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: Yes
Getting up to speed: Bad
Biking
00:25:45 | 10 miles | 23.30 mile/hr
Age Group: 6/64
Performance: Good
Wind: None
Course: Flat out and back with 2 hair-pin turns. Two small inclines over streams but nothing more than 20 feet.
Road: Smooth Wet Cadence:
Turns: Average Cornering: Average
Gear changes: Below average Hills: Average
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 00:58
Overall: Average
Riding w/ feet on shoes Good
Jumping off bike Good
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
00:30:41 | 03 miles | 10m 14s  min/mile
Age Group: 42/64
Performance:
Course: Out and back, through the park and then out and back on other side through neighborhoods lined with trees. Ended the last 150 yards up a slop in the tall, dew-wet grass.
Keeping cool Average Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Below average
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Ok
Evaluation
Course challenge Too easy
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Below average
Race evaluation [1-5] 3

{postbutton}
2005-08-21 8:49 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Round Rock, Texas
Subject: Try Andy's Tri

2005-08-22 5:54 PM
in reply to: #230149

User image

Pro
Evanston,
Subject: RE: Try Andy's Tri
Nice job!

Yeah, our Houston heat & humidity is a real killer. (Since that's all I've trained in, I like to secretly believe I'm actually a much faster runner than I know! Just mentally subtract 1mm from your run time to account for the humidity and there you go. )
2005-08-24 11:41 AM

User image

Master
Katy, TX (West of Houston)
Wow. 1h 3m 30s is awsome, you were smokin!!!! Very impresive T's!! What was your #? Was your rack location near the bike/run start to get T times like that? You were about 6 mins faster than I was, half of that was transition. Very nice swim and bike. Looks like it was a great day for you! Great Job!!
Congrats.
2005-08-24 5:01 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Round Rock, Texas
Joe, I was #375 and my rack was right in the middle of transition. It's the 3rd time I have done the race, so I guess I'm getting better at the course
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Try Andy's Tri Rss Feed