Clif bar, cheerios, banana, water.
Event warmup:

None.
Swim
  • 45m 39s
  • 2112 yards
  • 02m 10s / 100 yards
Comments:

Felt pretty solid for the first third or so of the swim, then started slowing down. About 1/2 way through, the next wave caught up with me and I was awash in a sea of pink caps. I had to have been one of the last ones in my age group to finish. I saw maybe two or three other dark green caps behind me as I came out of the water. I was a little disappointed in my "mental toughness" during some parts of the swim, as I kept breaking my rhythm and lifting my face out of the water. I know that I could have kept going more strongly, because when I got to the last buoy I swam much more consistently and solidly the rest of the way in.
What would you do differently?:

I need to increase my swimming endurance.
Transition 1
  • 04m
Comments:

Time is an estimate, since they have not posted the transition splits yet. No problems here, maybe a little slower than usual since my helmet and other gear was wrapped up in plastic bags to keep them dry.
Bike
  • 3h 02m 22s
  • 56 miles
  • 18.42 mile/hr
Comments:

Very hilly for the first ten miles. I was shooting for ~18.5 mph overall, and after the first 10 miles my average was 15.5. The course became much more flat for a while after that. Bit of a headwind on the way out, felt nice to have it on my back after the turnaround. The nasty hills on the way out were a blast on the way back - hit 45.2 mph going down one. Lost about a minute at one point when I dropped my chain starting to climb a steep hill.

I had been concerned about the tube in my back tire all week - seemed to be losing some pressure between rides, and I think it may have lost some before the race began. Anyway, it held up through the whole ride, but when I went to get my bike after the race, it was flat. Dodged a bullet on that one, I guess.

More time on the bike in training. My longest ride was one 56 miler (which included a food break), and I think this really hurt my running.
Transition 2
  • 02m 17s
Comments:

Legs were really wobbly coming off the bike. Got to see my "cheering sections" (Jen and the girls, my mom and her husband, Darryl, Sarah, and Tanya) which was really nice and very encouraging. Darryl ran alongside the transition area with me down to my rack, and was yelling at me to stay focused and get moving, which was helpful.

Saw the third place overall finisher (Michael Lovato) finishing as I was starting my run.
Run
  • 2h 04m 25s
  • 13.1 miles
  • 09m 30s  min/mile
Comments:

UGGGGHHHHHH. Here's where the wheels came off. I was expecting to be able to run sub-8 minute miles, since I've had no problem doing so at olympic distance races. I vastly underestimated my ability to run after a three hour bike. I took off onto the run course, and knew I was moving slower than usual, but when I hit the first mile at over 9 minutes I knew this was going to be rough. I was getting some pretty bad cramping in my left quad, so that was not helping. From then on I just tried to make it from aid station to aid station. It was getting very hot, and I'm not sure about my fluid/fuel intake on this race. I thought I had enough, but maybe I underestimated what I needed.

Finished the first loop in about an hour - ran past my cheering sections again, which again was really awesome. The announcer even made some comment about "the popular Robert Riley from Chelsea Maine".

The second loop was still very tough, but knowing that I was over half way there was very encouraging. It was getting hotter and hotter, so I took advantage of every sprinkler, hose, wet sponge or whatever that was offered along the way. I was trying to maintain under 10 minutes a mile, with the new goal being to finish under 6 hours. Hit mile 12 at 5:50:00, so I guess I did the last 1.1 miles in 8:43. Pushed it down the finishing chute, high fived a big hairy guy wearing a bright red dress, and passed 3 or 4 people down the final stretch before coming to the finish. Again, having so many friends and lots of random people cheering for me and hearing my daughters yelling "go daddy!" was just awesome.

Again, more time on the bike, and better awareness of hydration/nutrition needs on such a hot day.
Post race
Warm down:

Walked around, jumped in the lake, ate pizza and ice cream.

Event comments:

I learned a lot from this race. Experienced a lot of highs as well as some lows, and got a good hard look at my current level of ability and endurance. I know what I want to work on as I look ahead to the Mooseman 1/2 and IMLP next year.

Profile Album

Last updated: 2005-08-22 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:45:39 | 2112 yards | 02m 10s / 100yards
Age Group: 0/185
Overall: 1032/1259
Performance: Average
Suit: Orca Speedsuit
Course: Clockwise rectangle.
Start type: Wade Plus: Waves
Water temp: 72F / 22C Current: Medium
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Below average
Breathing: Average Drafting: Average
Waves: Navigation: Good
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 04:00
Performance: Good
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike:
Jump on bike:
Getting up to speed:
Biking
03:02:22 | 56 miles | 18.42 mile/hr
Overall: 653/1259
Performance: Good
Wind: Some
Course: Out and back, single loop.
Road: Smooth Wet Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills: Good
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 02:17
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike Average
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
02:04:25 | 13.1 miles | 09m 30s  min/mile
Overall: 432/1259
Performance:
Course: Some short hills, mostly off the main road and through lakeside neighborhoods.
Keeping cool Average Drinking Not enough
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5]
Physical exertion [1-5]
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time?
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2005-08-22 2:00 PM

User image

Master
Maine
Subject: Timberman Triathlon Half Ironman

2005-08-22 2:42 PM
in reply to: #230895

User image

Master
Savannah,
Subject: RE: Timberman Triathlon Half Ironman
Wow-good race! Nice timing of the flat tire, whew. Hey, that was no hairy guy in a red dress, that was me! It sounds like you learned a lot.....congrats!
2005-08-22 2:44 PM

User image

Elite Veteran
chicago area
Great job! I give anyone credit for doing a 1/2 IM. Nice to have the family there too!
Congratulations on gutting it out.
2005-08-22 2:53 PM

User image

Expert
San mateo California
Great race man... 
 halfs are definitly another story...   I understimated my nutrition, got sick and finally made it just under 6 hours a few weeks ago in michigan..   I thought I could handle the  run like in an olympic distance.... I was wrong... 
cheers.....

Congratulations.....
2005-08-22 5:48 PM

Champion
Great race Rob. Nice to meet you before the start! Then I went and forgot your race number, which bummed me out because I wanted to get a couple pictures of you. I had so much time on my hands waiting for my run to start! Well, glad to see you got some pictures from your cheering squad!

2005-08-23 8:30 AM

User image

Regular
Good ole' Central Maine

Rob you did such a great job...you looked strong at all points in the race. I also think that you should use that upper left hand photo as your new avatar. (:

2005-08-23 10:08 AM

User image

Master
Mechanicsburg, PA
Totally awesome Rob!!! Woohoo!!!! Great pictures.

-Frank
2005-08-23 11:23 AM

Expert
Great job Rob...it sure did get tough out there on the run but you pulled through nicely

Mark
2005-08-23 3:22 PM
in reply to: #231787

User image

Schenectady, NY
Nice job. You really dodged a bullet on the tube thing. A buddy of mine who did the race too had a similar close call - but with a broken spoke on his rim. Your bike and run times were awesome. Great job!
2005-08-23 10:42 PM

User image

Champion
MA

Awesome Job!!

It is super that your family was there to support, cheer and watch your achievement!! Glad you met your under 6 hour goal...pushed through the difficulties in last run loop...tough mental attitude..you have what it takes.

Nice race all around...sounds it will be super helpful in planning for next year's 1/2 and Ironman.

How do you think the hills at Moosemean and Timberman compare? Timberman just seems to keep going up and up.

2005-08-24 6:38 AM

Online or Offline
Awesome time on the 1/2! I was happy finishing under 6:30 when I realized that I was gonna actually finish

Those hills on the first and last part leaving and coming back to Winnepesaukee were really tough, but fun - your bike split is awesome! I think everyone had a tough time on that run to be honest!

To answer Kathy's question that wasn't asked of ME, LOL, I think the upward incline immediately in the first 10 miles slows you down, but the real hills started at about 9.5 miles out. Overall, it wasn't as hilly as Mooseman since it had a slight downhill all the way on Rte 106 outbound which you had to climb back up coming back.

I high fived the hairy guy in the red cocktail dress too - he was really funny. I definitely think that after Mooseman and Timberman....IMLP won't be a thang. At least the first loop of it!

2005-08-24 7:19 AM

User image

Coach
Boston, MA

Awesome Job on a demanding course! You are defintely on the right track for Mooseman and IMLP next year... Congrats 

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Timberman Triathlon Half Ironman Rss Feed