United States
Oklahoma City Memorial Marathon
Precipitation
Total Time = 00m
Overall Rank = 1250/2510
Age Group = 25-29
Age Group Rank = 84/205
Pre-race routine:

I went Friday (my birthday!) to pick up my race packet, and it was nuts at the expo. I decided to go back Saturday to get some other stuff and to hang out at the arts fest in the park next door for a little bit. Got some awesome new SmartWool socks for a good price!

This was marathon #4 for me, and so I thought I was prepared for pretty much anything that could happen...little did I know. I made pancakes the night before, set my coffee to drip, took a Melatonin supplement, and off to bed!
Event warmup:

So, 4AM, Sunday morning. I. AM. PUMPED. I'm up. I eat, get dressed in my perfectly laid out clothes...and then switch shirts three different times before ending up on the one I originally chose. Short sleeves, capri tights, smartwool socks, shoes, hat, and jacket I got at Dicks years ago for $4. I stepped out of my door and thought, "WOW, perfect temperature for a race!"

Hopped into my car and started to drive from Norman to OKC. As I'm on I35, little tiny drops of rain start to fall. Then bigger ones. Uh oh. I get to my exit and it has stopped. Now I thought I was going to be one of the first ones there...nope. I parked in the first spot I could, did the gear shuffle and left it there.

On my way down to the start I followed rule #4 of marathoning (if you see an empty port-a-john, even if you don't have to pee, USE IT!). Wandered around aimlessly for a bit, kissed the feet of Christ behind the old Cathedral, and then as I finally sussed out where gear drop was, a HUGE bolt of lightning lit up the sky. Uh oh. Dropped my gear (including jacket) and proceeded to do my warm up. And then it started to drizzle. And then it started to pour. And then it started to STORM. So I took shelter in a near-by structure, along with all and sundry. Then the RD got on the loudspeaker to announce that the start had been moved back by a half hour to be at 7AM. So by this point it was 6, and we were still kinda dry, but everyone was very stressed.

Around 6:35 or so, the RD got back on the PA and told everyone to move to their corrals. You could tell no one wanted to. It was still chucking it down, it was getting progressively colder, and it was still thundering. But when the RD says "Jump", you say, "Which direction, sir?". So I went to my spot in the 9:30ish pace spot and got soaked. There was no going back now.

We all stood around trying to keep warm, talking and chatting and debating our sanity. There was a wonderful rendition of the National Anthem by a local boys quartet, some words from a politician...but most importantly, 168 seconds of silence for the OKC Victims. I have never heard so many people be so quiet.

A little countdown for the wheelchair racers...and we were off!
Run
  • 4h 36m 32s
  • 26.2 miles
  • 10m 33s  min/mile
Comments:

So once we slogged our way out of the start, it was very tight. There were half marathoners, marathoners, 5k'rs and relay teams. All of us crammed in very tight spaces, and most of us wearing garbage bags. And it was raining.

I just found a nice pace and decided to have at it. I didn't hit laps for my mile times because I thought it would fake me out if I happened to get behind. I was aiming for a sub 4:29 finish to make my PR, but I realized that with the weather being what it was (high winds, cold, rain...) it wasn't likely.

Around mile 4 I was finally warmed up and feeling OK, despite it raining. And then, miraculously, the 4:15 pacer appeared at my arm. And I decided to go with him, and the groupies around him. And it was raining.

Now, there was a problem. I had to pee. Badly. In Columbus, this had cost me a big chunk of time and made me lose my pace. So I held it. And held it. And held it. All the while, slogging through puddles, there's water everywhere, so all I can think about is how full my bladder is. And then there's the thought..."I could just pee myself." And somehow, this seemed like viable option because, well, I'm already soaked literally to the bone and I'm going to just keep getting wet so what's a little pee? But then my brain kicked in and said, "hang on, you JUST washed that brand new car that you have to drive home to Norman...." So I held it. And it was raining. Finally around mile 15 or so, I see an empty port-a-loo and go for it. Relief! Sweet relief!

The turn onto Lake Hefner was welcome. The wind was finally at our backs, and we could see the field spread out ahead and behind. This was a huge boost for me too because this is where I had done most of my long runs. I knew this place like the back of my hand. Plus, it looked like the sun was going to come out, and for a moment, I thought it had stopped raining.

I got some peanuts (and nearly choked on them) from the Southwest ladies running the aid station, took some fluids and settled in.

We came out of the park and headed back towards town, and then the skies just opened up again. The rain came down. The thunder clapped. ANNNNND the lightning got a little close for my comfort. It was like you could feel the electricity afterwards. Scary! And I was getting cold. Really cold.

At this point, the remembrance banners were out. Each victim had a banner somewhere on the course, and to help me in my hard miles, I did something like, "This is for ____, may they rest in peace and may their family have comfort" and then the next one, "This is for ____, may they rest in peace..." It helped me focus on something other than the pain in my hip flexors and the rain. It was therapeutic.

Mile 20 was alright. I told myself that there was only a 10k left, and celebrated that fact gratuitously! Mile 21 was tougher...made even tougher by the hail that started to come down, and on some seriously cold skin, it felt like tacks being thrown from the sky. Mile 22, I started to get the weepies because my husband wasn't going to be at the finish line. Mile 23 I started to go downhill rapidly. My quads were screaming at me, my hands were frozen into little claws, and my hopes of a PR were gone. And then this guy passes me in a 2010 Finisher shirt. And I thought, "Dammit, I want that shirt!" so I hunkered down, took some fluids and some food and stepped on it. I let myself walk the aid stations and rain in between. I was motivating myself (outloud...sorry folks) with thoughts of warm sheets, dry socks, and hooded sweatshirts.

I rounded the bend for home and saw the firefighters in full turnout waiting to finish (bad a$$). I decided to sprint that last bit, to make it hurt. And it did. Oh yes it did. But I crossed the line, and was so happy!

What would you do differently?:

When in doubt, wear long sleeves!
Post race
Warm down:

Well, by this point, I was having some pretty crazy thoughts and couldn't find the gear tent, so I stumbled into the med tent to get my blood sugar checked. The RN and volunteers sat me down, got the name age etc stuff out of the way...and then she touched me and said that I was freezing.

*shiver shiver shiver* what *shiver* do*shiver* you *shiver* mean *shiver*.

So she wrapped me up like a baked potato while she went to fetch a glucometer. As none could be found, she came back with a rather large needle that I could only assume was borrowed from the zoo, and she drew blood (annnd I bled all over the blankets and I'm pretty sure both volunteers...what can I say, I bleed well). Meanwhile, I was getting colder, and colder, and colder. Much like everyone else in the tent...it seemed like everyone was being treated for hypothermia. The volunteers wrapped me up tight and layered on the blankets, took off my shoes and completely soaked socks, and had me take my shirt off.

Blood results came back A+ for having just run a marathon. After the wonderful volunteers and RN's and Drs got me warmed up, changed into my dry finisher's shirt and into my dry jacket, I got a hug from the RN (aww!) and another volunteer drove me to my car (which was less than 2 blocks away...yeah happy accidents!)

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Rain. Cold. Winds. Thunder. Lightning.

Event comments:

This race has THE best volunteers of any race I've ever done. It seemed like every time you started to think, "Hm, water would be nice!" there was a water station. And, you have to be seriously dedicated to go and stand out there in weather like that. The medical staff were tremendous and wonderful and they made my day by not making me feel daft for asking for help, because I probably would not have made good choices had I not stopped there. I would definitely do this race again.

Last updated: 2011-05-02 12:00 AM
Running
04:36:32 | 26.2 miles | 10m 33s  min/mile
Age Group: 84/205
Overall: 1250/2510
Performance: Good
Avg HR: 160
Course: Course map here: http://www.okcmarathon.com/ParticipantInfo/CourseMap/tabid/177/Default.aspx Couldn't tell you where I was except for the bit on Lake Hefner.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? No
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities:
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2011-05-02 10:16 PM

User image

Pro
Pittsburgh, my heart is in Glasgow
Subject: Oklahoma City Memorial Marathon

2011-05-03 11:46 PM
in reply to: #3478904

Subject: RE: Oklahoma City Memorial Marathon
Wow there was a medical tent? I didn't know that.  I stumbled to the massage tent and the ladies there help get me warm.  That was the most miserable awesome race I have ever done. 
2011-05-04 10:13 AM

User image

Regular
OKC
Good report and great job out there! That was one of the more uncomfortable races I've ever done.
2011-05-15 1:08 PM

User image

Pro
Pittsburgh, my heart is in Glasgow
Thanks guys.

After a few weeks of thinking about it, and re-analyzing my Garmin data and my race results....I'm pretty darn happy. Initially I was really bummed about missing my PR, but after looking at it, I pretty much *was* the Middle of the Pack (1250/2510) mark, and my results in my division are top 50%, so again, I'm pretty darn OK with that.
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Oklahoma City Memorial Marathon Rss Feed