United States
USAT
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 09m 16s
Overall Rank = 264/700
Age Group = 35-39
Age Group Rank = 38/64
Pre-race routine:

Bonnie & I got up about 4:45am. Checked and double checked our bags & gear. Loaded bikes on car. We both had several bottles of water and ate a bagel with a small amount of raspberry jam on it. I tried to drink a cup of coffee, but was not able to drink more than a half cup. We arrived on site by 6:00am and began setting up Bonnie's transition first (her 1st race), then I set mine up.
Event warmup:

To warm up we ran about 1/2 mile (5 mins) then swam 3 or 4 laps in the pool. Drnk more water and a few cups of Gatorade.
Swim
  • 07m 35s
  • 300 meters
  • 02m 32s / 100 meters
Comments:

I never got my swim down. I was passed in the first 100 meters. Then I passed one, then I was passed again and again. I have not swam enough lately. An excuses would be that I have been sick for about 3 weeks and had a lot of chest congestion. Every breath I took seemed like it was not enough air and I couldn’t hold it long enough to breath on both sides, so I breathed from right side only on every other stroke. Bonnie had about 3 or 4 people in front of her when I got out of the pool.
What would you do differently?:

Swim lots for a month before and not be sick!
Transition 1
  • 03m 11s
Comments:

I was OK at T1. I would have liked to be faster, but this is about normal for me. I am not sure how much time was saved by having my shirt on for the swim. I swam in my shirt so I didn’t have to fight it and I did not put gloves on for bike. Socks and new tri shoes went on fine. I had a bottle of water and a bottle of Poweraid but only drank about 1/4 of each, not sure why I didn’t drink more. I put a Hammer Gel in the leg of my shorts for later. My spot was at the far end of transition area, it was a long run to bike mount area.

I need to learn how keep shoes on bike for both start and finish of ride. Also maybe ride and run without socks.
Bike
  • 27m 27s
  • 10 miles
  • 21.86 mile/hr
Comments:

I had a very hard time getting my shoe on BOTH pedals! I think I was stopped at the timing mat for 20 seconds just trying to get my lead foot in, then I could not get the other in for a few pedal revolutions. Michael was at the mat helping and took some pics. I think I need new (different) pedals.

Once in, I got up to speed very quickly and had a fast cadence while trying to catch my breath from the swim. I was in my groove within 2 miles. I tried to focus on speed, not to go fast, but rather to stay under 23mph. I wanted to save some for the run. At one point I was going 26mph and backed it down. I judge this was a very good bike race. I played "tag" with two others. I would pass them, then they passed me, then I passed them. I kept the final pass on both of them, so i say I was not passed once (at least not passed and stayed passed). I had a water bottle on frame AND an Areodrink bottle on my areo bars, but I only drank less than 1/4 of the Areodrink and never touched the other bottle. When I train, I drink lots, at least 1 full bottle every 10 miles. I don’t know why I didn't drink more water. I didn’t feel dehydrated at all. I ate my Hammer Gel at mile 7 and drank a little water after. I looked for Bonnie but did not see her.

I should have drank more water.
I need to learn how keep shoes on bike for both start and finish of ride. And learn how to jump on bike and dismount while riding.
Transition 2
  • 01m 48s
Comments:

Coming into transition, I went down the wrong row! It took me a few seconds to figure out I was on the wrong one. I kept the same socks on for ride and run. I had a few sips of water and poweraid.

Go down the correct row! Drink more water and poweraid.
Run
  • 29m 13s
  • 3 miles
  • 09m 44s  min/mile
Comments:

The run was good. I thought I was faster than I was and I am a little bummed about the time. I was passed by many and passed a bunch too. I ran at a consistent pace and did not feel like I was slowing down. It felt a lot faster than it was. I saw Bonnie twice on the run, once in mile 1 and then again in mile 3. We said "great job" and "love ya" and kept on hammering. In the 3rd mile, I saw a man that was struggling, he said he was going to quit! I asked him why, he said he thought he was better than this, I told him he was better and to come run with me. I asked him what his neighbors were doing, he said "not this"....He ran the rest of the way with me. We also "picked up" 2 others that were having a hard time. One slowed back down and started walking, the other finished not far behind us. There were cold, wet finisher towels at the finish line-nice!

RUN FASTER.
Post race
Warm down:

When I finished, Michael was waiting with a high five. I immediately had to go to the bathroom, I found the first porta-can I could find. Michael was walking up with water in one had and a Gatorade in the other, this was the nicest thing. I am not sure if i even thanked him, but it was very much appreciated. If you are reading this THANK YOU!!! I then walked to the corner to wait for Bonnie. She came around the corner and I started running with her. An official told me to put my number on, when I told him I was running with her, he yelled at me to get off the course, said it was pacing. I quickly left and ran along side, I wanted to be at the finish for her. We hugged and kissed when she crossed. It was awesome.

Event comments:

When I started Triathlons last year, this was my very first race. I had a goal to do it this year 3 mins faster than last (2004-1hr 13min). I did it almost 4 1/2 mins than last years race (2005-1hr 9min). YES!!!!

I was almost more concerned with Bonnie's race than mine. I was so excited for her. She did great. She finished in 1hr 12mins, 1 min faster than my time last year.

I really like this race. It is well organized and fun to do. The other racers are great and the volunteers are wonderful.

Last updated: 2005-08-21 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:07:35 | 300 meters | 02m 32s / 100meters
Age Group: 0/64
Overall: 0/700
Performance: Below average
Suit: TYR Tri shorts
Course: This is a 300 meter swim in a 50 meter pool. I swam in my shirt hoping to have a faster T1. There were two lines and racers were started by swim time fastest to slowest with 1-350 on the right and 351-700 on the left.. I was # 485. This is a 6 lane/50 meter pool. We swam from the outside to the middle lane. There were volunteers to help lift us out of the water. We jump in feet first and cross under lane ropes and swim a "there and back" lap (100 meters), repeat for 3 full laps. Always seems longer than 300 meters in this pool.
Start type: Run Plus:
Water temp: 0F / 0C Current:
200M Perf. Below average Remainder: Below average
Breathing: Below average Drafting:
Waves: Navigation:
Rounding:
T1
Time: 03:11
Performance: Average
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Good
Biking
00:27:27 | 10 miles | 21.86 mile/hr
Age Group: 16/64
Performance: Good
Wind: Little
Course: This is a pretty flat course with a few turns and two very small hills. It is almost completely on divided 2 lane neighborhood streets. There were volunteers/police at every intersection, and was coned off for us to use the outside lane. It felt safe to race.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills: Good
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks:
T2
Time: 01:48
Overall: Average
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Below average
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
00:29:13 | 03 miles | 09m 44s  min/mile
Age Group: 33/64
Performance: Good
Course: The run is also through neighborhood streets crossed into the park then neighborhood again before the finish chute in the park again.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Not enough
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks?
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2005-08-22 3:53 PM

User image

Master
Katy, TX (West of Houston)
Subject: Try Andy's Tri 2005

2005-08-22 4:58 PM
in reply to: #231086

User image

Subject: RE: Try Andy's Tri 2005
Congratulations on beating your last year's time! 
2005-08-22 5:05 PM

User image

Champion
MA

Great Improvement!!

It was great you had positive influence on others on the course to keep them motivated and of course Bonnie.

You were flying on the bike......I bet it was fun to pass and repass the same people but in the end stay in front.

Super race....thanks for sharing your RR.

2005-08-22 5:34 PM

User image

Pro
Evanston,
Sounds like a wonderful day for both of you!!! Give Bonnie my best -- I'm so glad she's finally racing! (Even though it just means one MORE person out there faster than I... sigh!)

Having watched you train, I am not at all surprised you beat your last year's time so soundly. But we know that the REAL challenge for you still lies ahead... heck, *I* have butterflies about it, and I'm not the one with the OLY THIS WEEKEND! But you are prepared, and you race SMART, so you'll do great.

-Celeste
2005-08-22 6:48 PM

Expert
New Orleans, LA

I wanted to be at the finish for her. We hugged and kissed when she crossed. It was awesome.

Awwww.......that's so sweet!!! That is so a moment that neither of you will ever forget.

She finished in 1hr 12mins, 1 min faster than my time last year.

I bet she is not going to let you live this down.

It sounds like this was a really really great race for you. Great job on it!!

2005-08-22 7:33 PM

User image

Expert
McKinney, TX
Great report!  Isn't it great doing this as husband-and-wife?  This has been one of the most positive things that has ever happened to me and my husband's marriage.  Glad to see we're not the only ones!  Best wishes to the new Triathlete in your house!

2005-08-23 9:24 AM

User image

Master
Katy, TX (West of Houston)
Thanks all. My wife and I have cycled and run together for years, but this was the first time we "competed against" each other. It was a lot more fun than I thought, and she enjoyed it too. I think she is hooked.
2005-08-23 3:08 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Round Rock, Texas
Joe, Congrats! I think I saw you and your wife and I don't know either of you I was standing at the beginning of the grass finish when I saw the race official yelling at you about pacing. I can understand your excitement seeing your wife finish her first Tri. Congrats to you both and welcome to the world of triathlon couples! It's a fun one!

I had trouble in transition and with my biking shoes as well and even heard from my father-in-law that he saw many people having the same issues. See my race report at:
http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/discussion/forums/thread-view.asp...
2005-08-23 9:25 PM

User image

Expert
San mateo California
Great job my friend...    It was a nice run... specially that you beat your own time from last year....   you are getting better and better....  Great stuff...

Congratulations to Bonnie too.... 1:12  It is really something...

cheers
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Try Andy's Tri 2005 Rss Feed