Burney Chamber of Commerce
55F / 13C
Overcast
Total Time = 25m 49s
Overall Rank = 3/?
Age Group = 40-44
Age Group Rank = 1/?
Pre-race routine:

Wake up 5am, get breakfast drive to race.
Event warmup:

Short jog
Run
  • 25m 49s
  • 4 miles
  • 06m 27s  min/mile
Comments:

Right hamstring kept my right leg from full extension, but was not painful until the last .25 miles up that last hill and then it pulled a bit. I was able to finish off the run without getting passed but was at a near limp at that point. At the start of the race two younger guys took off at a sub 6 mpm pace. My hamstring would not let me keep up, so I fell into what I could hold. At mile 1 a guy around my age passed me. I decided to stay on his heals and try to keep with him despite the leg. At around mile 2.5 he started slowing down a touch, so I just hit my stride and passed him. I wasn't sure if he was going to hold up and try to burn me at the finish line. The footing was iffy at places, rocks covered with dry leaves, branches and trees down, had to avoid a puddle across the trail etc. Lots of up and down. At the bottom of the hill at mile 3 I turned around to head back up to the finish line and noted that the guy who had passed me earlier was now two back and another guy was trying to close the gap on me... up the hill. I just held my pace and checked over my shoulder now and again. Everything was holding together alright until about a quarter mile from the finish when I felt my hamstring slip and brought me to a near limp. I checked behind me and had a good 100 feet lead and was able to maintain enough to finsih off in first for my age group and 3rd overall. He didn't have the juice to catch me in that last quarter mile uphill. Good to have gotten first, bad in that my hamstring is now worse 8(.
What would you do differently?:

Mostly I just need to be fully healed.
Post race
Warm down:

Get some food water, wait for my wife to finish, chear on others I know. We then went for a walk down to the 130 foot falls and took some pictures and then drove home.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Not fully recovered pulled hamstring.

Last updated: 2011-05-07 12:00 AM
Running
00:25:49 | 04 miles | 06m 27s  min/mile
Age Group: 1/?
Overall: 3/?
Performance: Good
Course: Downhill to start then back up hill on pavement, then 2 miles on rough trail, a couple fallen trees, water hazzard, rocks with dry leaves, you know trail run. Generally either going uphill or downhill, not much flat with a 3/4 mile uphill at the end.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 5
Physical exertion [1-5] 5
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time?
Lots of volunteers? Yes