Mountain Multisport
80F / 27C
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 28m
Overall Rank = /
Age Group =
Age Group Rank = 0/
Pre-race routine:

Waited for my buddy who wasn't at registration. He never showed up but called my room saying he didn't make the trip because he was sick. After that, just hung out at my bike.
Event warmup:

None.
Swim
  • 13m 30s
  • 600 yards
  • 02m 15s / 100 yards
Comments:

All times are an estimate coming from glancing at my watch. The race director has me as a relay team and doesn't have any splits for me.
I started out on the far right. There were only a handfull of people in my wave which was cool. I started out a little off course which was weird for me because I usually swim straight as an arrow. But I pushed it hard to make it to the bouy first. About 10 yards from the bouy my goggles fogged bad. Then the right side filled with water. I said screw it I'm doing good. I was one of the first to hit the bouy (from what I can tell) Then I turned right...right into the sun. I have tinted Aquaspheres and I could see anything. To make it worse the bouys were white. I honestly couldn't see anything. I started swimming then would pull up then look into the sun...again, nothing.I emptied the water and made sure they were tight. I continued to swim as straight as I could. I kept swimming until I was in the shade. WTH? Shade in the lake. Then I heard "you might want to veer left" I pulled up again and it was a lifeguard sitting on his surfboard. I said "Thanks" Then aimed left and started swimming. I swam right over the back of his surfboard. I swam a little while then pulled again and finally saw the other bouy. Just as I got to it I see a guy with no wetsuit (the water was very clear) wearing a green cap from wave #1. I was in #5. I started to pass him when I swear I heard "Help, help" I stopped swimming and looked for him but couldn't tell where the noise was coming from. I looked to my left and there was another lifeguard, so I kept swimming. If what I heard was calling for help then I'm sure they heard it too. I made the last turn around the bouy and was now swimming perpindicular to the sun. I felt good at that point. I was picking off people from all the waves ahead of me. Last year I thought I had a bad swim but finished in good shape. This year I couldn't tell again. After the swim there is a 50 yard uphill run then a 1/4 mile downhill run to the transition area. So when I got out of the water I stripped my wetsuit and ran with it in my arms.
What would you do differently?:

I dunno. I think trust how straight I normally swim. I think getting off course early set the tone for the rest of the swim and I was never really sure if I was straight, therefore I never sighted. I just swam then stopped and looked.
Transition 1
  • 00m
Comments:

Again, no split times. I saw 13:30 on my watch as I was heading downhill to T1. Last year my swim was around 9 minutes.
Bike
  • 44m
  • 10.25 miles
  • 13.98 mile/hr
Comments:

They moved the transition area from the top of the hill by the hotel to the bottom of the hill (about 1/4 mile) so the bike mount line was 10 feet from the base of the hill. I was lucky and put my bike in the right gear to start. Last year I didn't know the course so I rode somewhat conservative when I wasn't sure what was coming and aggressive when I thought I knew what was coming. That worked last year. This year I knew the course so I seemed to ride conservative the whole way. I don't know what is happening to my legs. Last week I rode with a friend up a few climbs and I ran out of gears. In Arrowhead the same thing. I would get about half way up a climb, look down and see I was topped out. I think my old bike had one more gear to go to, but still! I tried to keep people from passing me, but that didn't happen either. I just suffered through it.

new legs
Transition 2
  • 00m
Comments:

I looked at my watch as I started the run and I was at 57 minutes.
Run
  • 31m
  • 3.25 miles
  • 09m 32s  min/mile
Comments:

Like I said, I looked at my watch and saw 57 minutes. That would mean I would have to run a 19 minute 5+K to beat last year...not going to happen. I started up the hill, said hi to the family. At about 3/4 of the way up the hill EVERYBODY around me started walking. I couldn't help it. I walked! That sucked, so I stopped and stretched my calves because they felt tight. Then I started running again. I couldn't believe I stopped so I swore I wouldn't walk again. I was going to push downhill then suffer uphill. I was behind a few guys who were the same pace as I. The first guy gets to the bottom of the hill, turns, then starts walking. The next guy does the exact same thing. Crap, what is going on? I get to the bottom of the hill, turn, look, It was a long uphill. Nope, not gonna walk it. I pass the other 2 guys and stick with the plan. Now this time last year I didn't notice the guys coming from the turn around and I got passed in the last mile by the 3rd place guy. This year, a little different story. There goes #1, so I am at least second. #2, OK third. #'s 3-5. OK I'm not medalling. #6...Alright already, I get it! So now my only goal is to keep anybody from passing me, especially in the last mile. I make it to the turn around, now lets see how far the next guy is behind me. Jog, jog, jog. Oh please don't tell me I am DFL. I have never been last before. Then around the corner came a guy! Whoo Hoo, I have never been so happy to be in front of someone. I then realized I wasn't huffing and puffing. OK, pick it up. I ran as fast as my short little legs could carry me all the way until the finish.

Not suck
Post race
Warm down:

drank a beer with my buddy

What limited your ability to perform faster:

I have a bunch of excuses but they are just that...excuses

Event comments:

This race was mentally hard for me on a bunch of different levels. First was my division. I really didn't want to be a Clydesdale. I was cruising around at 190 pounds so that wasn't an option. Then before I registered I weighed myself. 198. I know that wasn't right because I weighed 190 on Friday. I had a 3 hour swim Friday night and weighed 188 after. I had a 2 hour bike on Saturday. But when I weighed myself on Monday morning I was 198. I thought I was just retaining water but when I weighed in on Tuesday, 198. By Thursday morning I was back to 190 again. What do I do. Tell the RD? I dunno. I was going to change back into my AG, but 2 of the fastest guys I know would be in my AG. I thought, this would be the only way I would ever place. Then I figured if I won, I wouldn't except. That would suck. This pretty much consumed all of my thoughts prerace. I wanted to win, but not like this. So, once I knew I was out of the medals I was relieved, but now all I could think of is that I am 10+ pounds lighter than everybody and getting smoked. That didn't make me feel better. What did make me feel better was this feeling of indifference about this race. I wasn't going to post this report because it seems so negative. But during my run somewhere between suffering up the hills and knowing I was having a bad race something changed. I was so thankful just to be out in that beautiful area, living! How many people were home eating or being miserable? How many people would love to be able to walk this course? Here I am racing (participating, lets be honest)in a race that most people wouldn't or couldn't do. So, even though the race sucked big time. It was one of the best life experiences for me and still a great vacation. I can't wait for next year.

Last updated: 2005-08-23 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:13:30 | 600 yards | 02m 15s / 100yards
Age Group: 0/
Overall: 0/
Performance: Bad
Suit: ironman sleeveless
Course: clockwise around 4 bouys. All the way around the hotel
Start type: Run Plus: Waves
Water temp: 75F / 24C Current: Low
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Bad
Breathing: Below average Drafting: Bad
Waves: Navigation: Bad
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 00:00
Performance: Average
Cap removal: Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike:
Jump on bike:
Getting up to speed:
Biking
00:44:00 | 10.25 miles | 13.98 mile/hr
Performance: Below average
Wind: None
Course: Rolling hills around the lake
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills: Below average
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 00:00
Overall:
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike
Racking bike
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
00:31:00 | 03.25 miles | 09m 32s  min/mile
Performance: Average
Course: Rolling hills out and back from Arrowhead to Bluejay
Keeping cool Average Drinking Not enough
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Below average
Mental exertion [1-5] 1
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Ok
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? No
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 2

{postbutton}
2005-08-23 3:54 PM

User image

Elite
San Diego
Subject: Lake Arrowhead Triathlon

2005-08-23 5:29 PM
in reply to: #232103

User image

Champion
Williamston, Michigan
Subject: RE: Lake Arrowhead Triathlon
Hey Tom...nice race report   Buddy...I think you need a well deserved break.  Glad you found some positive stuff too.  After going thru breast cancer with my mom and Lung cancer with my dad I just can't get upset over a race. (plus being in a job that is relatively serious)   I guess I just don't get people who work themselves into a tizzy over the whole thing. I mean I'm not in any danger of winning.   The best that I can do is do my very best in every race.   You got the right idea about enjoying the day and being outside.  Its going to be so great when you can do races with happycow and all the little cows   Enjoy the day, your beautiful family and the ability to race and train...and STOP BEATING YOURSELF UP...you are a great triathlete and a grea person.  take care
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Lake Arrowhead Triathlon Rss Feed