General Discussion Race Reports! » Kodiak's 3rd Annual Emerald Isle Eco-Challenge Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Kodiak's 3rd Annual Emerald Isle Eco-Challenge - Biathlon (run/bike)

View Member's Race Log
Kodiak, Alaska
United States
US Coast Guard
Total Time = 12h 00m
Overall Rank = 6/8
Age Group =
Age Group Rank = 0/
Pre-race routine:

The Coast Guard required us to be at the Gazebo at 6:00 am but the race didn't officially start until 8:00 am. We had gotten everything ready the night before at Sami's house. Joe, Holly and Chad and I were excited and ready to go.
Event warmup:

As we waited for the race to start we ate donuts, drank coffee, and listened to Joe play the bagpipes. It was fun! There were like 8 teams ready to go.
Run
  • 00m
  • 0 miles
  •  min/mile
Comments:

We ran from Neimetz Gazebo to Bridge 7 (?) on the Buskin (about 2 miles). Our support crew was there with the raft. We lightened our load and put in. We were team 3 in the water but eventually ended up passing everyone on the river and leading the Eco Challenge for about an hour...the course followed the river to the mouth where we checked in at Checkpoint 3 then we headed out along the coast by the airport to Jewel Beach. We landed on the beach, made a fire, boiled water then jumped on our bikes and headed to Cliffpoint.
What would you do differently?:

At the Cliffpoint pullout we swapped out some gear and mostly dropped off more gear and headed toward Heightman. It's a 45 minute hike up a pass to a lake. At the lake we had to walk around the rim to the other side then swim back to the start. On the other side Will (who "rescued" my team last year!) was waiting for us! Joe and I had to swim across and Holly and Chad walked around the edge back to the start where we swapped out gear and they swam back.
Transition 1
  • 00m
Comments:

I fell and lost Chad's shoes and Joe and I had to go back and dig them out of the hole I fell into. Once we got the "Shoe Snafu" straightened out the team decided to bushwack down the hills to the next check point. We SHREDDED our legs for the most part, but hit the road and ran to my beach and to our support team. When we got there we had to build and SOS on the beach, fill 4 buckets with water, and set up a tent. Our peeps knew we set up the tent wrong at first and all they could do was laugh at us! We eventually got our course figured out and headed out on bikes toward the Fairgrounds.
What would you do differently?:

We made it to Sargent Creak Road, went to where we thought we should be and ended up "adjusting" until we could find the next check point. I was blind folded and my team had to direct me through finding 5 "flags". Once done with that task we headed out to checkpoint 8. This is where it got BAD! The coordinates were off to 8a checkpoint and we ended up bushwacking (and singing AT THE TOP OF OUR LUNGS because of all the bear scat) for 3 hours! It was a total mess... We eventually decided to go back to the "non official" checkpoint 8 and we ran into another team that gave us some information and we went to 8b checkpoint.
Bike
  • 00m
  • 0 miles
  • 0.00 mile/hr
Comments:

We ended up going over a river using a line and pulling our selves across... it was a great time. Then we got directions to the finish line. We ended up showing up just over 12 hours from our start time. What a fun race!!
Post race

Last updated: 2005-08-15 12:00 AM
Running
00:00:00 | 00 miles |  min/mile
Age Group: 0/
Overall: 0/8
Performance:
Course:
Keeping cool Drinking
T1
Time: 00:00
Overall:
Run with bike?
Jump on bike?
Getting up to speed and into shoes:
Biking
00:00:00 | 00 miles | 0.00 mile/hr
Age Group: 0/
Overall: 0/8
Performance:
Wind:
Course:
Road:   Cadence:
Turns: Cornering:
Gear changes: Hills:
Race pace: Drinks:
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5]
Physical exertion [1-5]
Good race?
Evaluation
Course challenge
Organized?
Events on-time?
Lots of volunteers?
Plenty of drinks?
Post race activities:
Race evaluation [1-5]

{postbutton}
2005-08-23 6:51 PM

User image

Kodiak, Alaska
Subject: Kodiak's 3rd Annual Emerald Isle Eco-Challenge

(smtongues02.jpg)

(smraftBuskin.jpg)

(smfinishteam.jpg)

(smnightbefore.jpg)

(smtongues01.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
smtongues02.jpg (84KB - 25 downloads)
smraftBuskin.jpg (96KB - 20 downloads)
smfinishteam.jpg (68KB - 26 downloads)
smnightbefore.jpg (90KB - 23 downloads)
smtongues01.jpg (81KB - 25 downloads)

2005-08-24 10:40 AM
in reply to: #232256

User image

Elite
Bay Area, CA
Subject: RE: Kodiak's 3rd Annual Emerald Isle Eco-Challenge

That sounds like fun.  I've wanted to do an adventure race for a while.

Sounds like you had a blast!

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Kodiak's 3rd Annual Emerald Isle Eco-Challenge Rss Feed