General Discussion Race Reports! » American Triple T - Race #1: Super Sprint Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

American Triple T - Race #1: Super Sprint - TriathlonMini Sprint

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Portsmouth, Ohio
United States
HFP Racing
Total Time = 23m 17s
Overall Rank = 34/350
Age Group = Co-ed Team
Age Group Rank = 2/12
Pre-race routine:

It took me almost six months after last year’s TTT to say that I’d do the race again this year, and even then I must’ve been half-drunk when we signed up. Those sick hills! The bloody distance! Frackin Lamp Black Trail! Wait a second, we won last time...OK, I’m in.

Alaina and I entered the Co-Ed division once again this year, both feeling like we were in even better shape this year than last, which armed us with a weapon you can’t buy, only earn: confidence. Anyone could show up, sure, and repeat contenders could be in tremendous form. But we were going to make sure they had to suffer hard to beat us.

To give a sense of the caliber of athlete that comes to this event, I’ll give you the seedings. You’re ranked according to your best Half-Ironman time. My best HIM is 4:49, which got me 103/350. I was barely in the top-1/3 of everyone that comes here. Pretty stacked, IMO.

The first two races are solo affairs and the last two are together, with our total times combining against other teams. My plan was to get as close to the other teams guys’ time in the Super Sprint and 1st Olympic. I counted on Alaina’s wicked fast times to put a gap on the women’s times in these races, since she is usually a top 5 OA amateur woman at most triathlons, but I’m not faster than the guys. Solo, I can only limit my losses. On the team races, I figured that if I can keep up with Alaina, we’ll be in good shape.
Event warmup:

It's been a terrible Spring in Michigan, much more like winter, and when it's as dark, wet, cold, windy, and just outright shitstorm EVERY. SINGLE. DAY. for an entire week in late May, it's hard not to let it get you down. I haven't had one open water swim this year because it's been too cold and nazty. I've ridden outside like what, <10 times all year? Needless to say, this has riddled my tri go go with tranq darts. The idea of racing an outdoor tri tomorrow is as odd as doing one in December in MI. Just doesn't seem possible.

But Friday was gorgeous, and the entire midwest instantly turned to summer. On the drive down it finally felt like Go Time. And as we pulled into the lush green hills of Shawnee State Forest, Team Two Hearted, aka Team Case, was like Arcade Fire, ready to start.
Swim
  • 04m 55s
  • 273 yards
  • 01m 48s / 100 yards
Comments:

After setting up a simplified transition for the first day’s Super Sprint, I met up with BTers, birkierunner, TrishM, and rgr375, for some pre-race cheer. The laughing. The excited anxiety. Love it all.

Got down to the cold murks of Turkey Creek Lake nice and early to get my face in the water and relax. It’s only a 250m swim, but I don’t get into 58* water without my wetsuit. Took about 5 minutes to wear off the ice cream headache of water that cold, but it wasn’t too bad. Every swim is a time trial start, with pairs going off every 5 seconds. The swim went well, though I don’t have any top end speed here. My sprint pace is about the same as my HIM pace, so I did what I could.
What would you do differently?:

Chip was messed up, so splits approx.
Transition 1
  • 00m 27s
Comments:

Bike
  • 11m 30s
  • 5 miles
  • 26.09 mile/hr
Comments:

Onto the bitty 5 mile bike, where I beasted the one long hill with only one dude passing me, though I did reel him in toward the top. It’s essentially an out-n-back course, so everyone comes ripping back down toward transition at 40+ mph in just a taste of tomorrow’s screamers on the bike course.

Transition 2
  • 00m 30s

Run
  • 05m 54s
  • 1 miles
  • 05m 54s  min/mile
Comments:

The 1 mile run is also a teaser of Lamp Black Trail, and this was the only leg where not everything in the body was firing on all cylinders. It was likely just hangover from taper week, but my feet wouldn’t turn over very fast.

Post race
Warm down:

This was my first tri since IMLP last July, where I buried my tri mojo in a time capsule under the Olympic oval and had to pay a local kid to dig it out and ship it back to me. Think it came just in time.

Event comments:

I beat Alaina by a whole minute this year and was 34th OA. The time gains are obviously minimal for this race, but so is the damage on the sticks. This effort was a good balance.

Last updated: 2011-02-27 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:04:55 | 273 yards | 01m 48s / 100yards
Age Group: 0/12
Overall: 0/350
Performance: Average
Suit:
Course: rectangle
Start type: Run Plus:
Water temp: 58F / 14C Current: Low
200M Perf. Remainder:
Breathing: Drafting:
Waves: Navigation:
Rounding:
T1
Time: 00:27
Performance:
Cap removal: Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike:
Jump on bike:
Getting up to speed:
Biking
00:11:30 | 05 miles | 26.09 mile/hr
Performance:
Wind:
Course:
Road:   Cadence:
Turns: Cornering:
Gear changes: Hills:
Race pace: Drinks:
T2
Time: 00:30
Overall:
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike
Racking bike
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
00:05:54 | 01 miles | 05m 54s  min/mile
Performance:
Course:
Keeping cool Drinking
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5]
Physical exertion [1-5]
Good race?
Evaluation
Course challenge
Organized?
Events on-time?
Lots of volunteers?
Plenty of drinks?
Post race activities:
Race evaluation [1-5]

{postbutton}
2011-05-25 7:29 PM

User image

Expert
Ann Arbor, MI
Subject: American Triple T - Race #1: Super Sprint

2011-05-27 4:32 AM
in reply to: #3519057

User image

Subject: RE: American Triple T - Race #1: Super Sprint
Love the Aracade Fire reference.
2011-05-27 12:11 PM
in reply to: #3519057

Iron Donkey
, Wisconsin
Subject: RE: American Triple T - Race #1: Super Sprint
Crrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrraaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaazyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy fast!
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » American Triple T - Race #1: Super Sprint Rss Feed