General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Another "should I wear a wetsuit" thread Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 1

2011-05-29 8:57 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Subject: Another "should I wear a wetsuit" thread

Sorry, I know this keeps being asked and the answer is usually "if it's wetsuit-legal, wear it."  But now that the race is coming up, I'm questioning it again.

So this is a sprint tri, 750m/22.8k, 5k.  The lake will be supposedly warm enough on 6/12 to go without a wetsuit, and from what I heard there will be very few people wearing wetsuits.  It's an all-women's tri and there will be many first-timers there.  I asked someone who had raced in that location before, and she laughed and said it wasn't necessary.  So I'm wondering if I should go without it.

FWIW, I swim just under 2'/100y.  I'm sure I drag my legs even though I'm working on it.  The suit would help my time.  On the other hand, if none of the other kids are wearing one, I'd feel silly.  (shallow, yes, but honest.)

What would you do?  I'm thinking about going there tomorrow to see what the water temp is.

2011-05-29 9:15 PM
in reply to: #3524012

User image

Veteran
Subject: RE: Another "should I wear a wetsuit" thread
Wear it. Be faster and more importantly, psych out the competition!!
2011-05-29 9:18 PM

User image

Payson, AZ
I am not a strong swimmer, sounds about at your speed.  Last time I wore a wetsuit that was just barely wetsuit legal I regretted it.  Actually, I think they measured until they found a spot that would be legal.  Mine was a 1000 yrds though  If it is close to wetsuit legal you need to decide if you will overheat or not.  I was just dying to get out of the suit by about half way.  If it's not that close though I'd wear it.

Edited by bzgl40 2011-05-29 9:26 PM
2011-05-29 9:19 PM

User image

New user

I'm pretty sure I'm doing the same tri. :-)  I had the same question.  I could probably borrow my husband's wetsuit, as he's only 1/2 inch taller than me, but I haven't tried it on yet.  If we both wear one, we won't be the only ones!!!  LOL!  It could be very cold at C.B. still.  Today was darned cold, and we haven't really had any warm enough days to warm up that little quarry...
2011-05-29 9:46 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Yep, that's the one, Centennial Beach.  Cool, another BTer there!  Laughing
2011-05-29 10:05 PM

User image

Expert
Fountain Hills, AZ
SInce they lowered the wetsuit legal temp ... yes, wear the wetuit. Be faster.

2011-05-29 10:25 PM

New user
If you own a wetsuit and are comfortable in it, you should wear it. If you don't own one, or are like me and hate swimming in a wetsuit, don't wear it. If you are contending for a podium spot you should wear it.

I'm firmly MOP and if the water is warm (anything over 70F) I don't wear my wetsuit. But if I were closer to FOP I would probably wear it to get the time benefit.
2011-05-29 11:26 PM

User image

Expert
Chicago
Unless your wetsuit has propellers, it's not saving you that much time per 100. You probably know the impact your suit has for you better than I might guess, but for the sake of the argument, say it saves you 5 seconds per 100 - maybe you get 30 or 40 seconds out of it? Nothing to sneeze at, but it takes at least some time to get it off - 20 seconds maybe, on a good day? So the gain is maybe :10 to :20 seconds - maybe I'm off, but I don't think by tons. My suggestion is not to forego to suit, but rather go with what's going to either leave you psyched and ready to swim, or at least not self conscious and worried about it. What's going on in your head and can have a big impact on how you perform, so decide what *you* want to do, don't second guess yourself, make peace with your decision and have an awesome race!!!
2011-05-30 12:37 AM

User image

Champion
Alabama

No, don't wear one.

Be a rebel and stand alone in a crowd!  Intimidate your competition by not wearing one.

I recently did an Oly tri at 75 degrees that was legal up to 78 degrees.  I was one of the very few that did not wear one.  The water temp was ideal for swimming and it felt so good just to swim w/o a constricting wetsuit.  I'm sure I was a little slower than the competition becuase I was not wearing one but I had a good swim and enjoyed myself and have the added satifaction of knowing I swam w/o the added benefit of artificial buoyancy....which mean nothing to most people but it mean something to me.

~Mike

2011-05-30 3:30 AM

User image

Wetsuit saves you 10 seconds per 100.
If you have practiced at all, taking it off is about 5 seconds, 10 at most.
Wetsuit is worth wearing at about 200 yards/meters.

If it's wetsuit legal and you have one, wear it.

2011-05-30 6:15 AM
in reply to: #3524100

User image

Pro
Camp Hill, Pennsylvania

Ershk - 2011-05-30 12:26 AM Unless your wetsuit has propellers, it's not saving you that much time per 100. You probably know the impact your suit has for you better than I might guess, but for the sake of the argument, say it saves you 5 seconds per 100 - maybe you get 30 or 40 seconds out of it? Nothing to sneeze at, but it takes at least some time to get it off - 20 seconds maybe, on a good day? So the gain is maybe :10 to :20 seconds - maybe I'm off, but I don't think by tons. My suggestion is not to forego to suit, but rather go with what's going to either leave you psyched and ready to swim, or at least not self conscious and worried about it. What's going on in your head and can have a big impact on how you perform, so decide what *you* want to do, don't second guess yourself, make peace with your decision and have an awesome race!!!

I disagree.  The average person saves closer to 10 sec per 100, and a 2:00/100 swimmer may save a little more.  Plus, if your wetsuit costs you more than 10 seconds in T1, you need to learn how to remove it.  The OP should save over a minute, net.  Plus, there is the benefit of going into the water with more confidence.

To the OP - Assuming your suit fits you well, you know how to put it on properly, and you've swam in it enough times to be comfortable, there is only one time not to wear a wetsuit when it's legal.  That's when the temperature is borderline, and you happen to be one of those people who is always hot and overheats easily.

2011-05-30 6:56 AM
in reply to: #3524117

User image

Resident Curmudgeon
The Road Back
Gold member
Rogillio - 2011-05-30 12:37 AM

No, don't wear one.

Be a rebel and stand alone in a crowd!  Intimidate your competition by not wearing one.

~Mike

Since she said very few people would be wearing one, wouldn't she be more rebellish, stand aloneish, if she wore one? Cool

Edited by the bear 2011-05-30 6:57 AM
2011-05-30 7:11 AM
in reply to: #3524187

User image

Champion
Alabama
the bear - 2011-05-30 6:56 AM

No, don't wear one.

~Mike

Since she said very few people would be wearing one, wouldn't she be more rebellish, stand aloneish, if she wore one? Cool

Yeah, I missed that part.  Just seems to me, given a choice, most choose to wear one....but maybe being a sprint with a lot of first timers that won't be the case.

2011-05-30 8:43 AM

User image

New user

We could be rebels together, and wear them!  I was concerned that only the pros would be wearing them and that back in my wave I'd look a bit silly.  :-P  And then with it being my first tri, even more silly?  Anyway, we should meet up and "tri out" a wetsuit at Centennial Beach.  There are hardly ever any people in the deep area, even on busy days.  Today is gonna be hot, so I think it will warm up soon!  At least I'm hoping.  We always get season passes there, so theoretically I should be able to give it a go...
2011-05-30 8:55 AM
in reply to: #3524196

User image

Extreme Veteran
Acworth, GA
Rogillio - 2011-05-30 8:11 AM
the bear - 2011-05-30 6:56 AM

No, don't wear one.

~Mike

Yeah, I missed that part.  Just seems to me, given a choice, most choose to wear one....but maybe being a sprint with a lot of first timers that won't be the case.

So not to go off on a tangent but if the argument is that there will be a lot of first timers and you don't want to stand out, then leave tri-bike at home too.... If you spent the money on the equipment (wetsuit) use it.My opinion is always wear the wetsuit if you are allowed. Not only for the added speed, but for the buoyancy provided giving my legs a rest. (and just in case there is a freak out during the swim and you need to search for a kayak-happened to me during a sprint)As others pointed out, the t-1 penalty should be less than 10 seconds. If not, practice a couple of times.
2011-05-30 9:14 AM
in reply to: #3524265

User image

Champion
Montague Gold Mines, Nova Scotia
momtoCIkids - 2011-05-30 10:43 AM

I was concerned that only the pros would be wearing them and that back in my wave I'd look a bit silly.

As an aside, if there are pros there and the water is warm enough for AGers to go without wetsuits, it is highly unlikely it will be legal for pros as their cutoff is much lower.

IMO, if you have a wetsuit and the swim is wetsuit legal, wear the wetsuit. You will be faster and if you practice taking it off, it will cost very little time in transition. There is a reason why all the pros wear wetsuits when a swim is wetsuit legal, even though they are very good swimmers.

Shane

2011-05-30 10:00 AM
in reply to: #3524138

User image

Extreme Veteran
Richmond

DanielG - 2011-05-30 3:30 AM Wetsuit saves you 10 seconds per 100. If you have practiced at all, taking it off is about 5 seconds, 10 at most. Wetsuit is worth wearing at about 200 yards/meters. If it's wetsuit legal and you have one, wear it.

^^^Correct wetsuit math^^^

2011-05-30 10:02 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran

Cool, thanks everyone.  I will wear it and be proud!  Laughing

In fact I might just head over there now!  It's gorgeous today and I just got back from a nice ride, so a dip in the water sounds great.

2011-05-30 10:11 AM

User image

Veteran
Elmira, ON

Hey all, I want some more info. on these wet suits...the only one's I've worn are for scuba diving.  I'm assuming the tri ones are much thinner, and user friendly, but still.  My main concern is overheating in one, and the constriction while swimming.  I've been a speed swimmer and swimming is my first sport, so putting on a suit seems very foreign.

Will it actually save time or is this just because it's bringing your body to the surface and more boyant?  It doesn't make you glide through the water and decrease resistance does it?  Will the overheating be an issue?  I don't believe in wearing swim caps for anything over 400m or around that because they cause you to overheat and I'll only wear it begrudginly at Guelph Lake cause I have to....but what about wet suits?  I'm really concerned about this piece of equipment which sounds like it can make you or break you.  And 10sec over 100m is a huge amount of time which I don't want to downplay. 

2011-05-30 8:28 PM
in reply to: #3524352

User image

Extreme Veteran
TheCrownsOwn - 2011-05-30 10:11 AM

Hey all, I want some more info. on these wet suits...the only one's I've worn are for scuba diving.  I'm assuming the tri ones are much thinner, and user friendly, but still.  My main concern is overheating in one, and the constriction while swimming.  I've been a speed swimmer and swimming is my first sport, so putting on a suit seems very foreign.

Will it actually save time or is this just because it's bringing your body to the surface and more boyant?  It doesn't make you glide through the water and decrease resistance does it?  Will the overheating be an issue?  I don't believe in wearing swim caps for anything over 400m or around that because they cause you to overheat and I'll only wear it begrudginly at Guelph Lake cause I have to....but what about wet suits?  I'm really concerned about this piece of equipment which sounds like it can make you or break you.  And 10sec over 100m is a huge amount of time which I don't want to downplay. 

A tri wetsuit is built completely differently from a scuba wetsuit.  There is much more flexibility where you need it for swimming - elbows, shoulders, underarms and whatnot.  The material is very buoyant and helps your legs stay in the proper position (i.e. not dragging).

Over a certain water temperature, wetsuits are not legal for racing.  I think the temp depends on the race, not certain.  But yes, that is because there is danger of overheating.  If you overheat easily, you might not like it.  You can rent one at wetsuitrental.com for $45 for a week if you want to try it out.

Yes, they are constricting.  But they expand slightly in the water and theoretically, once you're swimming and know what to expect you don't notice.  I say theoretically because I haven't worn mine in water yet.  I tried today but the lines were too long to get in... Frown

2011-05-30 8:50 PM
in reply to: #3524839

User image

Extreme Veteran
Springfield, OH
sdejan - 2011-05-30 9:28 PM

I say theoretically because I haven't worn mine in water yet.  I tried today but the lines were too long to get in... Frown

Wear it in practice before you think about wearing it for the race.  If nothing else, you'll have had the chance to take it off a couple times.  That said, I would go ahead and wear it.  Since your race is in Naperville, I can't imagine there is any water up there that would be TOO warm in early June.  Unless it's in the old Naperville "pool" that used to be a quarry, that might heat up more than larger bodies of water.  I think I had my first "open water" experience there so long ago I have no memory of it.

2011-05-31 12:58 PM

User image

New user

I tried it at Centennial Beach yesterday... it's a go!  It fit, worked great for me, and I think I was the only person not freezing in that water yesterday.  The only thing I was worried about was legality... I can't find a link on the Sherox tri website about legality of the wetsuit.

Amy

2011-05-31 1:37 PM

User image

New user

It is that old quarry, btw.  It was totally freezing, yesterday... but we'll see in two weeks.
2011-05-31 1:38 PM

User image

New user

Oh, were you out there when everyone and there brother was in line?!  We lucked out because we had bought family passes online a few days ago.  So they let us in, no wait.  But this week the kids are in school, and you are likely to see very few people at the beach...
2011-05-31 2:15 PM
in reply to: #3525879

User image

Extreme Veteran
Springfield, OH

momtoCIkids - 2011-05-31 2:38 PM Oh, were you out there when everyone and there brother was in line?!  We lucked out because we had bought family passes online a few days ago.  So they let us in, no wait.  But this week the kids are in school, and you are likely to see very few people at the beach...

Oh no.  I'm pretty sure I swam there while in utero, and then my parents took me there when I less than three years old.  We haven't lived in the area since the mid 80s.

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Another "should I wear a wetsuit" thread Rss Feed  

of 1