Calgary Marathon
2C / 36F
Overcast
Total Time = 1h 29m 35s
Overall Rank = 67/2967
Age Group = M3539
Age Group Rank = 14/217
Pre-race routine:

Another PR, but my god the worst after race pain/problems I've ever had. If this happens in IM I'm screwed.

Up at 5:15, 1 poptart, bowl of krispies and tried a big cup of coffee for the first time.

Wore my usual Zoot ultra shorts, zoot energy 2 shoes with socks, under armor with long sleeve tech, then the race shirt over top of that.

Went with race belt instead of pins (not in the bag), and carried 1 gel and car keys in shorts.

Car pooled with some real fasties - Jermey came in 4th, while Oliver came 3rd on the full marathon even with being taken off course by 900m! Fun to listen to their race prep/plans compared to us mortals.

Event warmup:

Jogged to the start from the car, dropped off the bag, potty break and got to the start 30 seconds before gun.

Run
  • 1h 29m 35s
  • 21.1 kms
  • 04m 15s  min/km
Comments:

Not really run focused this year, but my last 10k was 40:47 in the rain, which mcmillan says is within 54 seconds of a 1:30 so I decided to go for it. I had a good taper, and wasn't really worried about it (C race).

Kept the pace below 4:20 for the first 8-10K, then slowly started ramping up to 4:12-4:15 then 4:05 to 4:13 then under 4 for the last 2K.

Ate my gel at about the 11k mark but I DROPPED IT - and had to go back a few paces to pick it up. Also lost a lace, so another stop to tie it, grr was too lazy to put on speed laces.

What would you do differently?:

I thought my pacing was enough to leave me at least a minute or so of margin, but with the 120m extra distance, the aid stations and the 2 pauses it was way closer than I though.
Post race
Warm down:

Bit of water, a snack bag of low salt chips and a small coffee. Drove home to the fam, out for lunch.

Without going into gory details, I was stuck on the potty at least 15 times over the next 5 hours, half a bottle of pepto, didn't feel up to anything until 3pm (went for a 45 min bike ride around the house).

Dunno if it was the coffee, chips, gel or just bad luck but I hope I don't have to deal with this ever again. :(

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Run training/volume

Event comments:

I'm pissed about the timing so far - they switched to a new timing company and they are only sorting by Gun time. I know all about the awards and such but for the average 2000+ users, chip time is what matters. I think a lot of their chips got messed up as there's a ton of bad/obviously wrong readings. Anything that encourages bad seeding at the front is a bad thing for racing!

Last updated: 2011-05-09 12:00 AM
Running
01:29:35 | 21.1 kms | 04m 15s  min/km
Age Group: 14/217
Overall: 67/2967
Performance: Good
Avg HR: 155 Max HR: 173
Course: Relatively flat course, low wind, 3500 ft. Garmin showed 120 extra distance.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %0
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 5
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 3

{postbutton}
2011-05-30 4:55 PM

User image

Master
Calgary, AB
Silver member
Subject: Calgary Half Marathon

2011-05-31 4:23 PM
in reply to: #3524668

User image

Champion
Calgary
Subject: RE: Calgary Half Marathon

Great job on the race. I don't know, but digestive problems after the finish usually mean you were really redlining it. Sounds like you got what you needed from the gel to keep you going, but if it was really that bad I would wonder if it was even digested, although I suppose the GI distress could have started after.

I agree with your comment on seeding. I would be super pissed if I was competitive and lost out to someone who seeded poorly. But, I guess with a big race like that, the super fast people are in the first couple of rows.....but it was a big race, and that start line was narrow. I was standing in the porto potty line and it took at least 5 minutes to clear the crowds out.

Man you hang with some cool kids.
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Calgary Half Marathon Rss Feed