Tribob
30+C / 86F
Sunny
Total Time = 2h 48m 17s
Overall Rank = 136/582
Age Group = 40-44
Age Group Rank = 35/149
Pre-race routine:

Not from the pro's handbook as we were drinking beer as our 'carbo' loading. Got some funny looks from the other competitors on the ferry on the way over as I think they were questioning our professionalism (quite rightly!). Had a big breakfast which settled the stomach from the night before and a powerbar about two hours before the race.
Event warmup:

Went for a paddle in the sea which was more about cooling down than warming up as it was very hot standing around with a blue bathing cap on.
Swim
  • 34m 6s
  • 1500 meters
  • 02m 16s / 100 meters
Comments:

Said to my brother after the race that if the swim had been 100 metres longer I probably would have drowned :) Was patting myself on the back mentally for the fact that my endurance has improved to the point where I don't need to breaststroke at all anymore, until a guy doing breaststroke passed me :(
What would you do differently?:

Just the usual of needing to train more.
Transition 1
  • 01m 7s
Comments:

Made the right decision to put the shoes on the bike and ride up the hill with the feet on top because the mounting area had quite a steep slope. Checked three times before the start of the race that the gear selected was the lowest because I'd seen the people doing the sprint really struggling with the mount. Got the feet into the shoes no problem once I was at the top and then was away.

Nothing to change here. All went smoothly except for a gel dropping out of my tri top but didn't take long to pick it up.
Bike
  • 1h 13m 43s
  • 40 kms
  • 32.56 km/hr
Comments:

Found it hard to pace myself because I wasn't used to the up and down. It's hard to know what speed to be sitting on compared to when you are used to working on a flat section. I also lost my water bottles going over the speed bumps which impacted upon the amount that I drank on the bike.

More secure bike biddens. Put some vaseline between the legs to cut down on the chafing.
Transition 2
  • 01m 1s
Comments:

Again nothing to change as a quick transition.
Run
  • 58m 22s
  • 10 kms
  • 05m 50s  min/km
Comments:

Had stitches from the start of the run and couldn't shake them. Had to walk through the water stations. Did the first 5 in 27 which was disapointing enough but then finished it 'strongly' with a 31.

Try some of the tips for getting rid of stitches which I read after the race such as bilateral breathing, pushing in the spot or situps (in that order of ascending silliness)>
Post race
Warm down:

Started straight back into the beers and then attended the post race awards where we picked up a prize for the 'best' dressed curtesy of the lime green budgie smugglers my friends and I wore.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Stitches on the run, the rest was good and overall the time was 10 minutes faster than the one I did 6 months before so can't complain too much.

Event comments:

As Hotrunner mentioned the organisation prior to the race was diabolical and I was really nervous because I had three friends travelling to compete from Taiwan and Australia. However the organisation on the day couldn't be faulted, the course was interesting, scenic and challenging. They had organised activities for the children such as face-painting, a bubble pool and an elephant visit. For a 40 year old father of three this was probably the ideal blend of racing and family fun in a beautiful spot.

Last updated: 2011-03-06 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:34:06 | 1500 meters | 02m 16s / 100meters
Age Group: 45/149
Overall: 171/582
Performance: Good
Suit:
Course: Funny double n with a beach exit halfway. Had quite a current coming back into the beach which I didn't enjoy for the last 100 metres.
Start type: Run Plus: Shot
Water temp: 0F / 0C Current: Low
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Average
Breathing: Drafting:
Waves: Navigation:
Rounding:
T1
Time: 01:07
Cap removal: Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike:
Jump on bike:
Getting up to speed:
Biking
01:13:43 | 40 kms | 32.56 km/hr
Age Group: 31/149
Overall: 111/582
Wind:
Course: Undulating was how it was described but after riding only in Singapore for the last 6 months I'd call it hilly.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Cornering:
Gear changes: Good Hills: Good
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Not enough
T2
Time: 01:01
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike
Racking bike
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
00:58:22 | 10 kms | 05m 50s  min/km
Age Group: 46/149
Overall: 186/582
Performance: Bad
Course: Interesting mix of flat and hills with different surfaces thrown in as well. Two 5kms laps. Very hot by that time in the afternoon but a lot of the run was in shade.
Keeping cool Below average Drinking
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2011-05-31 1:00 AM

Singapore
Subject: Bintan Triathlon - Olympic Course

2011-05-31 4:18 AM
in reply to: #3525008

User image

Master
Eugene, Oregon
Bronze member
Subject: RE: Bintan Triathlon - Olympic Course
Congrats from a fellow survivor of the Bintan sufferfest!  Okay, it wasn't my imagination that the swim was long and that there was an offshore current. As a good swimmer and crap biker, I was overjoyed and would have happily kept swimming for another hour--anything to delay the inevitable bike leg!  Glad your bike leg went well. I guess I will have to learn to ride hills somewhere other than Saigon or Singapore.  The run was tough. In retrospect, I think the heat took a lot out of everyone, including myself. At the time, I actually didn't notice it was hot after the race started, just how thirsty I kept getting. I had similar issues with not enough fluids on the bike affecting my run performance--next time will carry more. Glad both you and family enjoyed yourself. Hope to see you around at races in the future. I'm hoping to do Vietnam Tri in Sept.  It's well-organized....and flat!
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Bintan Triathlon - Olympic Course Rss Feed