Chico Running Club
70F / 21C
Sunny
Total Time = 22m 50s
Overall Rank = 57/240
Age Group = 40-45
Age Group Rank = 0/n/a
Pre-race routine:

Bagel with peanut butter at 5:30 AM, 1/2 a cliff bar at 6:30. Dave picked me up and we were at the course by 7:00.
Event warmup:

Some light stretching, then a half dozen pace runs, to help establish what pace I was going to take off with.
Run
  • 22m 50s
  • 3.11 miles
  • 07m 20s  min/mile
Comments:

This was a challenging race for me - as I am training for an Oly in about 3 weeks, so there was no way I could taper or even train for a sprint event like this. I was able to get to the track once, and then do a couple of fast runs on the treadmill was about my only "sprint specific" training.
My plan was to go out pretty hard, and try to hold 7 minute miles across the course. First mile was a 7:04, second was a 14:30. I really struggled after the first mile trying to hold the pace I had set (and clearly I didn't) as I dropped about 30 sec/ mile.

The good news is that even with my times slipping, I was able to pretty handily beat my brother - who had a time of 23:17. This makes two races in a row I have beat him (first a half marathon, now on a short race) and I think he is finally starting to realize that there is something useful in crosstraining.

This was a Personal Best for me, as I beat my previous best 5k time by about 10 seconds. This puts me on track for placing in my age category in the Almond Blossom Run next february, which has been my goal since I started running almost 4 years ago.

The run itself was fairly uneventful. I started very close to the starting line, as I did not want to get caught up with the slower people. This worked well, as I quickly settled into a good fast pace. After mile one I started doubting whether I could hold that pace - but I kept telling myself that since my breathing was still not too laboured, I was OK. Once I made it past mile two, I at least knew that I would not "blow up", then my fear was that my brother was lurking right behind me, and was going to pass me a any moment. So, I just kept pushing, trying to keep up with the runner in front of me, until we reached the last stretch off the bridge - then I put in a pretty good kick, to make sure that no-one would pass me a the last minute.
What would you do differently?:

I need to get to the track more, and work more on speed work. This will happpen after October, when I start training for our marathon in March.
Post race
Warm down:

Walking, drinking, and some more stretching

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Aerobic capacity

Event comments:

Well run race, some good raffle prizes, nicely done.

Last updated: 2005-08-28 12:00 AM
Running
00:22:50 | 03.11 miles | 07m 20s  min/mile
Age Group: 0/n/a
Overall: 57/240
Performance: Good
Course: One lap around Bidwell Park
Keeping cool Good Drinking Not enough
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 3