of 2

2011-06-13 9:19 AM
in reply to: #3545888

User image

Champion
SRQ, FL
Subject: RE: New Zealand
pilotzs - 2011-06-13 10:15 AM

Aren't there some pretty strict requirements for becoming a resident of NZ?

There are.  However I happen to be of a profession on their Long-Term Skill Shortage List.  They have a little quiz you can take and if you have over a certain # of points you are likely be to accepted (minus points for legal issues etc..).  I'm well above the magic #.

To be honest I like their system.  The US should adopt something similar.

2011-06-13 5:07 PM
in reply to: #3545673

User image

Extreme Veteran
Montreal
TriRSquared - 2011-06-13 11:00 PM

Thanks for all the info.  Bigfella and krystyna47 if you do not mind I may PM with a few other questions.

Of course this Am I see that the south island was hit by another 6.0 earthquake.  That's a bit concerning.

No worries, I would love to help in any way I can! I'm moving back there Dec 2011, initially with a 1 year working holiday visa but I plan on getting a job that will sponsor me for at least 1 more year. And by then I should have properly settled in and would just need to 3peat the sponsorship. If my knowledge is correct, I need 3 years of work experience to apply for residency. 

You, luckily, can hop right on in!! Do you know where you'll live? Honestly, I wouldn't even consider ChCh. Over 50,000 people have left already because those that used to consider it a home now can no longer do so. They're constantly living in fear for the next quake. I know a couple friends in other cities and towns in the south island and they did feel some tremors but nothing was damaged in those areas. ChCh really is the epicenter of all the quakes both past and, most likely, future. 

Good luck!

2011-06-13 5:24 PM
in reply to: #3547107

User image

Champion
SRQ, FL
My office would be in Auckland but the factory is in ChCh and Dunedin.  So I'm sure I'd be back and forth quite often.  Honestly the earthquakes give me some pause.  In FL we see the hurricanes coming for weeks.  Earthquakes freak me out a bit.
2011-06-13 5:43 PM
in reply to: #3538472

User image

Champion
Sydney

I was born in Auckland and studied in Christchurch (and well Ive been to Dunners Im not the expert) and I would say you could be in for a great experience...

Its beautiful, great for an outdoors lifestyle but in Auckalnd and christchurch there are still lots of world class restaurants, bars, theatre etc... I think sometimes you just need to know where to look... Let me assure you 10 years ago when I was a student there were plenty of places open until all hours!!!

And... there is a HUGE coffee culture and boutique/craft beer thing there if you are into that sort of thing!

If you have any questions please let me know!

2011-06-13 9:50 PM
in reply to: #3547152

Iron Donkey
, Wisconsin
kaqphin - 2011-06-13 5:43 PM

... And.../craft beer thing there if you are into that sort of thing!

If you have any questions please let me know!

Some day, I must meet the Awesome Aussie.  Some day.

2011-06-13 11:12 PM

User image

Elite
Reno
as someone said, you, Sir, will have my envy.

I spent an AWESOME month in NZ  in about 1997- based in Wellington where my friends were, but got out and about the north Island some.    I had a kiwi friend getting married around Christmas, and I met her whole extended family and friends.    They out and out adopted me and took me all over.    I had been working  exploration in Africa, so I was not hankering for the adventure vacation that I could have had there.   I think my most endearing quality as a house guest was that I was really happy to cook dinner for everyone while they were at work, after walking their dog.

My impressions:    The pace of life is not as frenzied/stressed out as the US.   The people really are quite friendly and rather liberal on alot of things - no nukes, environmentally friendly, vegan-friendly restaurants are the norm, socialized medicine (I stocked up on a year of birth control pills to take with me for next to nothing).   And yes, they do expect all Americans to talk like Texans - I was almost sad to dissapoint them.    

We spend one weekend at a friend's parents house on the beach.   Just a modest 2 bdroom beach house with a big porch - they welcomed a small hord of us (about 6 of us) very nicely.   And  at bed time, they handed us each a sheep skin and blanket and we all slept on the living room floor like a slumber party of kids.    As dinner was being prepared I asked if there was anything I could do to help.  " Yes, well - can you go get us some pippis?" and theh handed me a bucket and small rake like impliment.   Ah - I would be happy to if I knew what a pippi was.    Little clams in the sand.    Just dig them up and steam them.   yummmm - so simple, so good, like everything about that beach house.   I often think back to that weekend and think, what a wonderful lifestyle.

Now the one thing I marveled at is the gardening frenzy.   Go to any gathering and eventually everyone will be talking about their garden, how they engineered the water feature and how their water lilies are doing.    This was men, women, young, old.   It was ubiquitous.   They told me it was because the English are rabid gardeners in an unfriendly climate, so when they get to a good climate, they go mad with the gardening.

There are tons of micro-climates around the islands.   Vinyards.   good beer.   

I think the feeling of "it is like the US but X years ago" is more due to the pace of life there than lack of technology.  While some of the folks I met were well-to-do, no one was austentatious about it.    I remember people talking more about their vacations than their work, and many of the people I met were of my same profession., so there would be alot to talk about.

Clothes washing:  yes, washer, no drier.   And the washer had a "delicate" cycle.   that means it does not really ring the clothes out at all - this was probably site specific.   I put the washer on delicate and the wet clothes convinced the owners that the machine was broken.   I also put an electric tea kettle on without water in it and shorted it out.  There was also another electrical problem (not related to me, I swear).   When my friends had the electrician around to look at it all, he pointed out the washing machine was on delicate.   My friend's new husband said "we have a bloody yank in the house - she is barely civilized."   Makes me giggle to this day.

I should think of something negative, or at least not glowing to say about NZ, because nowhere is perfect.    Just can't remember any.

2011-06-14 9:05 AM

User image

Champion
SRQ, FL

Thanks for the info everyone.

The phone interview is tonight.  Getting excited.

2011-06-14 3:16 PM
in reply to: #3548054

User image

Extreme Veteran
Seattle
TriRSquared - 2011-06-14 7:05 AM

Thanks for the info everyone.

The phone interview is tonight.  Getting excited.

I'm from Auckland, and lived there until I moved to Seattle 5 years ago. If you get the job in Auckland, you'll love it and I know the people will make you feel welcome. By the way, you can't feel the Christchurch earthquakes in Auckland so you don't have to factor that in to your decision.

Really the main difference I've noticed between NZ and the US is convenience. I've never been to Florida so I'm not sure if this stuff is completely relevant to you, but some examples of this that I've noticed: 

Auckland is a decent-sized city, with everything you need available. It's just not quite as immediately available as everything seems to be in the US. E.g. there's not a grocery store every two blocks, and the grocery store might not have that obscure thing you happen to need available right when you need it. It doesn't bother me at all when I go back home, I just notice it.

Technology is almost on par with the US, but the latest gadgets etc might not come out and be widely available right when you hear about them, or they might be way more expensive than you think they should be, due to their exoticness or exclusivity.

It's harder to order things online, and the range of stuff that's available is not as broad as it is here.

Again, none of this stuff really bothers me, it's just slightly noticeable.

And yeah, with the politics - when I moved over here I went from being pretty much moderate to being a raving pinko liberal communist (by the standards of some people in the US) without changing at all.   In general, I feel like people are a lot less political than they are here though, so I can't imagine a situation where it would come up or be a problem at all.

Be prepared for a little light-hearted and genuinely non-mean ribbing about being a "Yank" though

Best of luck for the phone interview tonight.

Edited by danielc 2011-06-14 3:17 PM
2011-06-15 1:43 PM
in reply to: #3549025

User image

Champion
SRQ, FL

It went very well.  Of 6 candidates they shortlisted, I am the only international one (other 5 are based in NZ so that made me feel good).  Was pretty excited until they dropped the bomb.  The position is located in Christchurch (the job description was wrong).  Gotta be honest, not too thrilled about moving my family to an area that just got hammed by an earthquake.

I was excited about Auckland.  Not so much Christchurch.

Hmmmm...

Edited by TriRSquared 2011-06-15 1:44 PM
2011-06-15 2:05 PM
in reply to: #3550853

User image

TriRSquared - 2011-06-15 11:43 AM

It went very well.  Of 6 candidates they shortlisted, I am the only international one (other 5 are based in NZ so that made me feel good).  Was pretty excited until they dropped the bomb.  The position is located in Christchurch (the job description was wrong).  Gotta be honest, not too thrilled about moving my family to an area that just got hammed by an earthquake.

Hmmmm...

Look at it this way, the "big one" is out of the way and the pressure has been relieved

I'd move to NZ in a fat second.  Was there only once for 2 weeks in the late 90s. I've looked at their immigration rules and took the little test.  Think I scored 10 points or something (and you need what, a 50 to even be considered?  pulling numbers out of my a&& but I was pitifully underqualified to live in kiwi land)

2011-06-15 2:56 PM
in reply to: #3550853

User image

Payson, AZ

Hmmmm...

They actually did just have another earthquake so your right to be concerned.  However, I was there after their first one (which many folks don't know about) and two weeks before their big one.  Most of the buildings affected were really old and not up to modern building standards.  The first one killed no one cause it was at night and no one was in the buildings, yet many of the buildings were closed and not safe post earthquake.  I think if your not living in the city your perfectly fine.  And as far as working in the city, I now think your fine as well.  Buildings that were going to come down have.  The second quake sadly just did in the ones that were still standing (I am not speaking of the ones that just happened).  I liked that area more then Auckland and would actually only move if it was to the South.  New buildings will be built to a better code and the deaths you saw for the big one are not likely ever to happen again

2011-06-16 7:29 AM
in reply to: #3550915

User image

Champion
SRQ, FL
ChrisM - 2011-06-15 3:05 PM

Hmmmm...

Look at it this way, the "big one" is out of the way and the pressure has been relieved

That's probably what they thought in September of 2010, then in feb od 2011, then a few days ago. 

Honestly I'm not as concerned about the actual earthquakes (bzgl40 makes some good points about the crummy builds having fallen) as I am about the infrasctructure.

There are miles and miles of buildings that have collapsed.  According to a friend who lives there there are roads that are closed with no signs of reopening anytime soon.  Still lots of liquefaction going on as well.  He likened it to N.O. a year after Katrina.  I have been there.  It's depressing.

I guess we shall see what happens.  Who knows.  Maybe they hated me and the decision is no longer mine...  Why couldn't it have been Auckland?

Edited by TriRSquared 2011-06-16 7:40 AM
2011-06-16 8:52 AM
in reply to: #3551874

User image

Master
Denver
TriRSquared - 2011-06-16 6:29 AM
ChrisM - 2011-06-15 3:05 PM

Hmmmm...

That's probably what they thought in September of 2010, then in feb od 2011, then a few days ago. 

Honestly I'm not as concerned about the actual earthquakes (bzgl40 makes some good points about the crummy builds having fallen) as I am about the infrasctructure.

There are miles and miles of buildings that have collapsed.  According to a friend who lives there there are roads that are closed with no signs of reopening anytime soon.  Still lots of liquefaction going on as well.  He likened it to N.O. a year after Katrina.  I have been there.  It's depressing.

I guess we shall see what happens.  Who knows.  Maybe they hated me and the decision is no longer mine...  Why couldn't it have been Auckland?

On the bright side, I bet you could get a killer deal on a fixer-upper.

2011-06-16 8:52 AM
in reply to: #3539221

Champion
South Jersey
I sat next to an American on a flight yesterday who had moved his entire family to New Zealand about a year ago. He surely convinced me to move there (not that I am going). To sum it up, he said, "In the States, everyone dreams of having a stress-free life; but in NZ, a stress-free life is the norm." There's a huge expat population there, too.
2011-06-16 9:48 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Raleigh

If it's any comparison. In 1992, I moved from LA (post riots and four earthquakes) to Dubai in the United Arab Emirates (very post Gulf War No. 1) and was even in Kuwait for a couple of days in 1993.

Those five years (with the five previous to those spent at LSU) have been probably the most impressionable/ influential in my life. I think those ten years have made me a better, more worldly, and astute individual.

Edited by bullyboy 2011-06-16 9:50 AM
2011-07-13 8:38 AM

User image

Champion
SRQ, FL

Bit of an update.  I made it past the cut (now down to 3 of us, 2 Kiwi's and me).  Then they decided to go with the guy who already lived in ChristChurch.  I really can't blame them.  I knew it was a long shot.  All things being equal why hire a foreigner?

However they said they wanted to keep the lines of communication open.  A few days later they asked if I would be intersted in essentially the same posiiton but for their Auckland operations.

Sweet!  We're back talking details now.

2011-07-13 9:02 AM
in reply to: #3594207

User image

Master
Denver
TriRSquared - 2011-07-13 7:38 AM

Bit of an update.  I made it past the cut (now down to 3 of us, 2 Kiwi's and me).  Then they decided to go with the guy who already lived in ChristChurch.  I really can't blame them.  I knew it was a long shot.  All things being equal why hire a foreigner?

However they said they wanted to keep the lines of communication open.  A few days later they asked if I would be intersted in essentially the same posiiton but for their Auckland operations.

Sweet!  We're back talking details now.

Wow, that just what you wanted, good luck!

2011-07-13 6:37 PM

User image

Champion
SRQ, FL
The salary was well below what I was lead to believe it would be.  Oh well...
New Thread
Other Resources My Cup of Joe » New Zealand Rss Feed  

of 2