Set Up Events
78F / 26C
Sunny
Total Time = 2h 22m 47s
Overall Rank = 110/250
Age Group = 40-44
Age Group Rank = 16/33
Pre-race routine:

Up at about 4:15, some joe and an everything bagel for breakfast. Took a quick "wake-up" shower, got dressed and headed to the site.
Event warmup:

Not too much some light jogging, stretched a little, and swam for a bit before the start.
Swim
  • 44m 40s
  • 1094 yards
  • 04m 05s / 100 yards
Comments:

The swim killed me. Most people had issues with the swim due to the chop and strong currents. Not to mention the ever shifting buoys! I can't blame anyone but myself though. The course was tough due to the conditions but I simply didn't have it in me to overcome.

I went off course more times than I can recall. I literally remember one time where I felt like I was making some good progress then I looked up to sight and I was about 30 meters away from the rest of the pack.

I was projecting somewhere around 25 min for this swim and came in at just under 45, ugh. Just a horrible swim for me and I really kind of gave up and said to myself just finish this. You can see my frustration in some of the pix of me coming out of the water. I'm just walking along looking like I'm spending the day at the beach, not in a race.
What would you do differently?:

I guess I really need to work on my ability to handle strong currents. I've gotta get some OWS training in. The pool ain't cutting it for bay/ocean swims!
Transition 1
  • 01m 40s
Comments:

Not wetsuit legal, so no issues there. Overall I'd say it was a fine T1 for me. I was coming off the bad swim so I kind of just went though the motions. Rinsed off my feet and put my shoes on, grabbed the bike, and trotted along to the mount line.

9/33 AG and 74/250 Overall Men

No much. I might start to try the 'ol flying mount thing, but I'm not there just yet.
Bike
  • 1h 00m 31s
  • 21 miles
  • 20.82 mile/hr
Comments:

The roads were a bit rough in some spots, mostly on base and around the bridges, but it didn't impact me too much. I had a great ride for me. I was projecting about a 1:08 and came in well under that, so I was pretty happy. I had my fit tweaked on the Friday before the race and I really think that helped out a lot. I felt more comfortable on the bike and I was definitely faster than I had anticipated. Many thanks to Dave Luscan for his help in this area.

Not too much I was really happy with my results in this one. I still have some work to do on the engine, but I'm getting there.
Transition 2
  • 01m 29s
Comments:

Not too bad, no real issues but not really zipping though things either.

17/33 AG and 116/250 Overall Men

Just speed things up a bit. I wasn't really "racing" the transitions.
Run
  • 34m 29s
  • 4.97 miles
  • 06m 56s  min/mile
Comments:

This is my bread and butter, I'm not super fast but running is my strongest sport so I was pretty pleased with the results. There was a bit of a headwind on one section, but it wasn't too bad... noticeable, but not too bad. It was starting to get pretty hot by now too.

Not too much, in looking at the data from my run I probably could have shaved 5 seconds a mile or so off my pace, but in the end I'm pleased with the results.
Post race
Warm down:

Walked around a bit... cheered on some of the folks on the run course... grabbed a couple of slices of pie and headed out. I forgot about the beer tent... that is not like me!

What limited your ability to perform faster:

The swim killed me. I need more OWS training. The bike and run went very well, I'm pleased with both of those results, so overall I'd say it was a good race for me.

Event comments:

Race started about 15 minutes late due to all the swim buoys getting blown away during the storm the night before. Also, they were still adjusting the swim course when the first wave went off. It was tough enough to sight without the markers themselves moving on you.

Last updated: 2011-06-12 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:44:40 | 1094 yards | 04m 05s / 100yards
Age Group: 23/33
Overall: 33/250
Performance: Bad
Suit: None
Course: Rectangular course with a beach start.
Start type: Run Plus: Waves
Water temp: 79F / 26C Current: High
200M Perf. Below average Remainder: Bad
Breathing: Average Drafting: Bad
Waves: Bad Navigation: Bad
Rounding: Average
T1
Time: 01:40
Performance: Average
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
No
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Good
Biking
01:00:31 | 21 miles | 20.82 mile/hr
Age Group: 19/33
Overall: 95/250
Performance: Good
155 BPM average, 167 BPM max.
Wind: Some
Course: Two loops of an out and back course.
Road: Rough Dry Cadence: 104
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills: Average
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 01:29
Overall: Average
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike Average
Racking bike Average
Shoe and helmet removal Average
Running
00:34:29 | 04.97 miles | 06m 56s  min/mile
Age Group: 5/33
Overall: 27/250
Performance: Good
164 BPM Average, and 179 BPM Max.
Course: 2 loops of an out and back course.
Keeping cool Average Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? No
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2011-06-13 8:41 AM

User image

Master
Washington, DC Metro
Subject: Old Point Tidewater Triathlon

2011-06-13 1:32 PM
in reply to: #3545782

User image

Master
Woodbridge , Virginia
Subject: RE: Old Point Tidewater Triathlon
Nice race bro..
2011-06-14 8:36 AM
in reply to: #3546626

User image

Master
Washington, DC Metro
Subject: RE: Old Point Tidewater Triathlon
Thanks, man.  I'm pleased with the final two thirds... the first third, not so much!Laughing
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Old Point Tidewater Triathlon Rss Feed