Jersey Shore Tri Club
70F / 21C
Overcast
Total Time = 1h 28m 44s
Overall Rank = 129/263
Age Group =
Age Group Rank = 9/19
Pre-race routine:

Up at 4:00 (slept in extra bedroom), clean myself up a bit, get dressed, drink some fluids and hit the road by 4:30. Had packed all my stuff in the car the night before. Parked on the first side street I came to as other racers already there unpacking. It was only 2 blocks from transition and registration. Racked up my bike against the fence so I had plenty of room to set out my stuff. Ran into Jared as I was waiting in the bathroom line and went back to transition to meet up with him and head over to the swim start which was about 1/3 of a mile down the street.
Event warmup:

Just getting the wetsuit on should count as warm up. Either it shrank during the winter or.......

Water was quite nice at around 72 or so but wanted to use wetsuit as definitely helps me with my swimming. Swam out about 100 yards or so and then back as a warm up. Was then about time to head out to the in water start and wait for the horn.
Swim
  • 13m 19s
  • 700 yards
  • 01m 54s / 100 yards
Comments:

Great swim for me as I had no problems or issues navigating, breathing or staying straight. In hindsight I wish I wouldn't have started in the back of everyone as I wasted a lot of time getting tangled up some with our people. Was able to make my way over to the left buoys after the first few minutes and stay right in that line to the one left hand turn back to the beach. Heeded the wisdom of the race director and swam all the way until my hands started scraping the bottom. Only had about 20 yards of water left so starting stripping of the wetsuit as I exited the water.
What would you do differently?:

Start up front and push myself more in the water. I should have a higher level of confidence and be able to go a bit harder in any kind of sprint swim.
Transition 1
  • 01m 41s
Comments:

I have to show more urgency in transitions in general. Just slow and losing valuable time to all kinds of people.

Move it, move it!
Bike
  • 41m 10s
  • 12.5 miles
  • 18.22 mile/hr
Comments:

Seemed like it took forever for me to find my bike legs as I was really struggling the first 3 to 4 miles to find any kind of rhythm. I could see Jared out ahead of me (he passed me during my dreadful T1!) but wasn't making up any ground which was a bit disconcerting. As I neared the first turn around on the second loop I seemed to get a bit of a burst and suddenly I was picking up on Jared every turnover. As I approached him I wanted to make sure I put him away so I hammered hard and went by and kept in going for a bit to make sure he didn't follow (I'd never live it down if he beats me). After that I kind of fell into a steady pace which I was pretty happy with given that I've only been out on the bike like 3 times this whole entire spring. I finished up well and glided on into dismount and did a good semi-running one which I was psyched about.

Find time to get out and ride. While I love Tri's unfortunately I just don't have the time to invest in all 3 disciplines so I usually focus on running and let the other two lag.
Transition 2
  • 01m 21s
Comments:

Not pleased with this either as I struggled to tie my right shoe and wasted a lot of time. I did get out of transition a minute or so ahead of Jared so at least no worries about him catching me.

See T1!
Run
  • 31m 11s
  • 3.8 miles
  • 08m 13s  min/mile
Comments:

Started out and right away I knew it wasn't going to be any kind of special run as my legs didn't feel like they had much juice or get up and go. Tried to find someone who was running about an 8 minute pace and run off their heels. Seemed to take forever to find my stride and wind. Basically just slogged through until around the 3 mile mark and I could see there were 3 guys in my AG within 70 yards in front of me so made it my goal to catch them. I managed to reel them all in with more than 1/4 mile to go and just settled into a decent pace to bring it on home. Legs definitely didn't have a sprint in them but only person who came screaming up behind me was 22 so I gave him plenty of room as no reason for me to go chasing him down.

More than 1 brick in the last 6 months would probably be helpful as my legs didn't respond all that well coming off the bike.
Post race
Warm down:

Went over to get some of the fresh blueberries they had out as a special treat and waited for Jared to finish about 2 minutes behind me. I had planned on heading a bit further south after the race to walk the Seaside Boardwalk but it looked like some potential rain so after socializing for a bit I packed up and headed on home.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Nothing really as given everything else that I have to do this is about what I can expect. I'd think if I pay attention to my diet and get down to 165 or so I'd see the benefit so really going to try and grind on that.

Event comments:

Chris just does an amazing job with all his races and brings an unreal energy and vibe which is so appreciated. I signed up for this race a few minutes after midnight on NYE so only cost about $40 to race which is just insance considering how much I enjoyed the whole experience.

Profile Album

Last updated: 2010-12-06 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:13:19 | 700 yards | 01m 54s / 100yards
Age Group: 0/19
Overall: 0/263
Performance: Good
Suit:
Course:
Start type: Plus:
Water temp: 0F / 0C Current:
200M Perf. Remainder:
Breathing: Drafting:
Waves: Navigation:
Rounding:
T1
Time: 01:41
Performance: Below average
Cap removal: Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike:
Jump on bike:
Getting up to speed:
Biking
00:41:10 | 12.5 miles | 18.22 mile/hr
Performance: Average
Wind:
Course:
Road:   Cadence:
Turns: Cornering:
Gear changes: Hills:
Race pace: Drinks:
T2
Time: 01:21
Overall: Below average
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike
Racking bike
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
00:31:11 | 03.8 miles | 08m 13s  min/mile
Performance: Average
Course:
Keeping cool Drinking
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5]
Physical exertion [1-5]
Good race?
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2011-06-13 3:23 PM

User image

Master
Robbinsville NJ
Subject: Lava Man

2011-06-13 10:07 PM
in reply to: #3546932

User image

Master
East Side of the Bay
Subject: RE: Lava Man
Congrats on an awesome race!!  For some one who can't train much in 2/3 of the events you were fast.  Top ten in your AG is great!!

Edited by KOM 2011-06-13 10:08 PM
2011-06-14 8:54 AM

User image

Expert
Great race!! You are right about Chris...he does know how to get the athletes and crowd primed for having a fun day.
2011-06-16 5:55 PM

User image

Elite
Connecticut

Nice work!  I had to laugh at your wetsuit comment.  I'm very afraid to put mine on.  I am positive mine has shrunk. 

2011-06-17 8:50 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Connecticut

Great job!! You are fast!!..I like to have a little party myself in transition here and there. When I did the IM my kids thought something had happened to me I was in there sooo long!!

Im sure your wetsuit shrunk!! They ALL do over the winter!!

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Lava Man Rss Feed