General Discussion Race Reports! » Scheels High Cliff Triathlon - Sprint Distance Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Scheels High Cliff Triathlon - Sprint Distance - TriathlonSprint

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Sherwood, Wisconsin
United States
Midwest Sports Events
72F / 22C
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 44m 21s
Overall Rank = 176/450
Age Group = M45-49
Age Group Rank = 19/31
Pre-race routine:

Well this story takes us back to the end of last season. After completing six seasons, I think I was starting to suffer from a little triathlon burnout. Usually after a few months I start getting the itch to get back, but this off season it never really came. I was improving in my running and just enjoying that. All off season it was a struggle to put time on the bike and in the pool. So my plan was to just do a few sprints this season. Then I found out that I earned a free registration fee from Midwest sports. So my cheap side got the best of me. If I did the High Cliff HIM, that would be the most expensive race so my free entry would be a really good deal. Plus I figured my desire to go long would come back eventually. Fast forward to mid May. I was wrong, the desire had not come back. My swim and bike training were seriously behind schedule. I considered shifting down to the sprint. Instead I crammed my training. In the span of three weeks I crammed in two 50 mile rides and a 40 miler. I crammed in a couple of nearly-race distance OWS. Then Race week, I went on vacation to Florida. I walked a lot in the blazing hot. I arrived home at midnight two days before race day. I was completely beat. The next day I was too tired to drive the two hour ride to Appleton, so I got the bright Idea to get up at 3am and drive up race morning. I was going back and forth on whether I would do the HIM or sprint. I knew deep down I was not prepared for the longer distance. I woke up at 3 on race morning and finally got out the door about 3:45. I was really exhausted. After two hours of driving I was really, really exhausted and I felt just plain crappy. As I pulled in to park I made the decision that doing the 1/2 would be a stupid idea on this day and would result in lots of suffering. To salvage my interest in Tris, I needed to have a positive experience.
Event warmup:

Well after messing around to switch races and setting up transition I didn't have much time for anything before transition got closed. Didn't even get a chance to wish Tammy and Patrick good luck.
Then I waited...a...long...time. Because I switched I got put in wave 22, the last wave.
Swim
  • 08m 16s
  • 440 yards
  • 01m 53s / 100 yards
Comments:

I had not been in the water before my wave went off. THe water was colder than I expected and it shocked me a little. Took me a bit of time to get my bearings and I stopped and stood up. (about 1/2 of the course you can walk) I swam as much as I could. The last 100 yards lots of people were walking as I was swimming. It is a swim damn it, not a walk, people.
What would you do differently?:

try to suck just a little bit less. Apparently training may help this. I would not know.
Transition 1
  • 02m 23s
Comments:

Took advantage of the wetsuit strippers (ok that sounds kind of wrong) who were kind of tired after 22 waves ( nothing worse than a tired stripper...ok I'll stop now)

Had trouble getting on wet socks. Should have skipped those.

no socks
Bike
  • 1h 06m 22s
  • 22 miles
  • 19.89 mile/hr
Comments:

Well I figured it was a sprint I would just go hard. The first big hill was hard, but not fast. My mile average was 11.5. Ok that won't cut it. So I pushed harder. At about mile three, I thought it might be a good time to set a goal. I have never broke 20 mph average in a race, so that was my goal. I was behind from the beginning, but I just pushed. I mean what is the distance for this leg? 15 miles right. About mile 10 I realized that the distance was probably not 15, I remembered that the race director likes long bike rides. So it is probably 20. At mile 20, I realized it was not a 20 mile course. Didn't really matter because I still felt good. At mile twenty it was a little over an hour and knew that I had still not hit my goal and probably wouldn't, but I kept the hammer down. After the race, I would find that I didn't hit my goal, but I had somehow hit a new PR pace for the bike. How did that happen? I'm not really sure.

not sure. PR is a good thing
Transition 2
  • 01m 26s
Comments:

not bad. not too much goofing off
Run
  • 25m 51s
  • 3.11 miles
  • 08m 19s  min/mile
Comments:

Well this is my strong suit so I should really kill it. Wrong. I figured that to get a half way decent pace I would have to run up the big hill. My pace when I got up to the top was about 8:20. Only one problem, I was breathing so heavy that I got a bad stitch at top of the hill and had to stop to slow down my breathing. So my first mile pace was about 9:15. Then I picked it up. I wanted to pick up more, but the trail slowed me down a bit. Then I got to go down the hill and kicked up my pace more. Then I noticed my HR was at about 180 (max rate for a race is usually about 175) Last tenth of a mile pace was down to 6:30 and as a bonus my heart kept working.

get the lead out
Post race
Warm down:

Had some pasta at 9:30

What limited your ability to perform faster:

no speed work for months

Event comments:

While I was bummed that I didn't do the HIM, I think it turned out to be the right decision. Overall the race was a positive experience and I have gotten a bit of a fire burning to race again. That is a good thing!

Last updated: 2011-06-20 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:08:16 | 440 yards | 01m 53s / 100yards
Age Group: 27/31
Overall: 0/450
Performance: Below average
Suit: full rocket science
Course:
Start type: Wade Plus:
Water temp: 66F / 19C Current: Low
200M Perf. Below average Remainder: Below average
Breathing: Drafting:
Waves: Navigation:
Rounding:
T1
Time: 02:23
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike:
Getting up to speed:
Biking
01:06:22 | 22 miles | 19.89 mile/hr
Age Group: 20/31
Performance: Good
Wind: Some
Course:
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Cornering:
Gear changes: Hills:
Race pace: Hard Drinks:
T2
Time: 01:26
Overall: Average
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike
Racking bike
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
00:25:51 | 03.11 miles | 08m 19s  min/mile
Age Group: 13/31
Course: up the hill and through the woods
Keeping cool Good Drinking
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Ok
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks?
Post race activities:
Race evaluation [1-5]

{postbutton}
2011-06-20 10:46 PM

User image

Master
Delafield, Wisconsin
Subject: Scheels High Cliff Triathlon - Sprint Distance

2011-06-21 6:35 AM
in reply to: #3559199

User image

Master
West Bend, WI
Subject: RE: Scheels High Cliff Triathlon - Sprint Distance
Ha... you are funny  I think I ve said that before!
Prob was a good decsion to do the sprint.  Nice job Jim
2011-06-21 9:07 AM

User image

Veteran

Sounds like you made a smart decision (so that's your one for the year). 

Congrats webs!!!

2011-06-21 2:54 PM

User image

Elite
Madison, Wisconsin
Congrats Jim! Nice job out there!
2011-06-24 8:38 AM

User image

Hey nice report! I enjoyed reading it. It always shocks me how tough this sprint is here. Hey i noticed your a drummer as am i!

Yes your times were very close to mine!

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Scheels High Cliff Triathlon - Sprint Distance Rss Feed