General Discussion Race Reports! » Castle Series Triathlon (Cholmondeley Castle) Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Castle Series Triathlon (Cholmondeley Castle) - TriathlonOlympic

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Cheshire, England
United Kingdom
15C / 59F
Overcast
Total Time = 3h 22m 51s
Overall Rank = /
Age Group =
Age Group Rank = 0/
Pre-race routine:

So... in our infinite wisdom we decided to hire a car and drive out to this event as it was pretty much in Wales and the cost to take the train would have been almost double the cost of driving... little did we know that the estimated 3.5 hour travel time would become almost 6 because of traffic. We finally got to the site (we were camping the night before the event) and walked around the castle grounds which were very, very cool, saw where transition was going to be, checked out the entrance and exit for the water, and set up our campsite beside the lake for the night. All would have been okay except for a couple of things... I was ill having just gotten into the nasty times of a chest/head cold, the music blaring from somewhere on the castle grounds, the guy snoring like a chainsaw in the tent next to us, and the absolute downpour of rain that started somewhere around 2am and lasted til about 5am or so. Such fun! The rain finally eased and I was able to catch a couple of hours of sleep after shivering for what seemed like ages, and then suddenly the alarm was going off. I have never wanted to DNS a race so badly in my life, but decided that I had already paid my money for this damned thing (my first Olympic distance!), and how hard could it be? Sigh, I really wish I was smarter.
Event warmup:

There was no real warm-up to speak of other than to keep as many layers on as possible until time to get into the water... shivering counts as warming up, right?
Swim
  • 29m 33s
  • 1500 meters
  • 01m 58s / 100 meters
Comments:

The worst part was getting into the water... it felt like trying to wade through bark mulch and avoid an obstacle course of boulders hidden under the murky water to be able to get to the wading start... kinda icky, but the water was calm which was a nice change from all the other times I've been in open water so far!

There were also relatively few of us that were doing the Olympic distance so I was able to have a mostly clear swim with no one kicking me (other than the one woman who decided to swim over me as she couldn't sight worth a damn) and was able to swim without really having to worry about anything other than where the swim exit was as it really wasn't marked at all other than with a guy standing by the ramp with a white t-shirt on. Not really helpful, but I was happy with my swim so I didn't really care.
What would you do differently?:

Find some way to go faster!
Transition 1
  • 02m 53s
Comments:

I really don't know what happened here - I'm usually a lot faster in transition, but for some reason I just couldn't get it together today. I was having troubles with everything... even getting my helmet and sunglasses on seemed entirely too challenging. Possibly because I was sick and had taken about 17 different cold medications?

As usual, try to be faster. I'm sensing a theme here...
Bike
  • 1h 39m 42s
  • 43 kms
  • 25.88 km/hr
Comments:

Oh god... the hills... they just never stopped! The course was almost exclusively on the windy, hilly streets around the castle and I can tell you that the amount of swearing I did in my head would have impressed a seasoned trucker. There were gradual hills, short hills, long hills, steep hills, and just to make you feel a tad better, a couple of short downhills in between. Ouch.

Train on the hills more? Oh, and be faster.
Transition 2
  • 02m 40s
Comments:

Same thing as for T1... I just couldn't get it together. My brain felt like fudge and my body felt like it was moving through molasses, but I knew there was only 10km left to do, so HTFU already!

Please see the above comments of being faster... it still applies.
Run
  • 1h 08m 1s
  • 10 kms
  • 06m 48s  min/km
Comments:

Sucked. That is my only word for this run. Oh wait... super sucked. That's better. My legs were absolutely toast from the gruelling ride and my right quad and hamstring both decided to start cramping up almost right away. I walked. A lot. My only goal at this time was to not be lapped by Tony (and I wasn't - yay me!) but he caught me somewhere between the 2 and 3km mark. I was slow... painfully slow, and had to keep walking every 100m or so because of the cramping quads. I wanted to cheat sooooo badly and take the turn off for the 4km course, but no! I would finish properly even if I was DFL! I wasn't, but I also wasn't far from being DFL. I don't care though - I finished!

Not be sick, not suck at running, and go faster. See? I told you there was a theme here!
Post race
Warm down:

Not really any to speak of... I just wanted to be done and outta there!

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Um... if you read any of the above, you'd know.

Event comments:

I'd like to do this one again next year... and train properly for it!

Last updated: 2011-06-20 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:29:33 | 1500 meters | 01m 58s / 100meters
Age Group: 0/
Overall: 0/
Performance: Good
Suit: Orca full sleeve wetsuit
Course: 2x an out and back
Start type: Wade Plus: Shot
Water temp: 16C / 61F Current: Low
200M Perf. Average Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting: Below average
Waves: Navigation: Average
Rounding: Below average
T1
Time: 02:53
Performance: Bad
Cap removal: Average Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Yes Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed:
Biking
01:39:42 | 43 kms | 25.88 km/hr
Performance: Below average
Wind: Some
Course: 2 laps of nasty, nasty hills. Hills suck.
Road: Rough Dry Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Average
Gear changes: Good Hills: Bad
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Not enough
T2
Time: 02:40
Overall: Bad
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Average
Shoe and helmet removal Below average
Running
01:08:01 | 10 kms | 06m 48s  min/km
Performance: Bad
Course: 2 laps around the castle. Remember the hills? They're baaaaack!
Keeping cool Good Drinking Not enough
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 5
Good race? Ok
Evaluation
Course challenge Too hard
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? No
Post race activities:
Race evaluation [1-5]

{postbutton}
2011-06-24 6:38 AM

User image

Champion
Austin, Texas
Subject: Castle Series Triathlon (Cholmondeley Castle)

2011-06-24 12:21 PM
in reply to: #3565185

User image

Champion
, Minnesota
Bronze member
Subject: RE: Castle Series Triathlon (Cholmondeley Castle)
Well, I'd rather have a sucky race at a castle than a sucky race in podunk Minnesota, which is what usually happens to me   Congrats on starting, considering the circumstances!
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Castle Series Triathlon (Cholmondeley Castle) Rss Feed