Other Resources My Cup of Joe » Can someone be a contact person for a Katrina relief flight? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, the bear, DerekL, alicefoeller Reply
2005-09-02 9:14 PM

User image

Elite Veteran
chicago area
Subject: Can someone be a contact person for a Katrina relief flight?
My husband and other local Chicago area private pilots are trying to coordinate a private relief mission to bring supplies to Mississippi or Louisiana. What we don't have is a contact-someone on the ground- to coordinate and distribute these supplies.
To do this, we need to be able to fly to a small public airport outside the immediate affected area. Can anyone on here help us out or know of city officials that can help plan this effort. We'd like to respond as quickly as possible.
Maybe find a small airport that is open and accessible, then have the supplies driven to the destination where relief is needed most.
Thanks,
Brenda

Edited by bmax 2005-09-02 9:22 PM

2005-09-02 9:40 PM
in reply to: #240043

User image

Central Louisiana
Subject: RE: Can someone be a contact person for a Katrina relief flight?

The American Red Cross is coordinating most efforts.  I would suggest getting intouch with them on your local level and they should be able to help you coordinate for Louisiana or Mississippi.

If that doesn't work, let me know and I will try to get intouch with someone for you.  Email me at [email protected].

2005-09-02 10:00 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Racine WI
Let us know if and when you guys will need extra hands to load stuff. We have some clothes and other items we would be willing to donate also if they could be used.

Mark
2005-09-03 9:00 AM

User image

Elite Veteran
chicago area
Thanks for the help. I'm hoping this will be happening in the next couple days.
2005-09-03 9:34 AM

User image

Expert
Orlando, FL
Good luck to you on getting deployed. Here's a related, disheartening story from our Orlando Sentinal (snipped here):

"As a flooded New Orleans sinks further into despair, up to 500 Florida airboat pilots have volunteered to rescue Hurricane Katrina victims, transport relief workers and ferry supplies.

But they aren't being allowed in. And they're growing frustrated.

"We cannot get deployed to save our behinds," said Robert Dummett, state coordinator of the Florida Airboat Association. He said the pilots, who range from commercial airboat operators to weekend pleasure boaters, "are physically sick, watching the New Orleans coverage and knowing that the resources to help these poor people is sitting right in our driveways."

On standby since Monday, the pilots -- many from Central Florida -- have spent thousands of their own dollars stocking their boats and swamp buggies with food, water, medical supplies and fuel.

But the Federal Emergency Management Agency will not authorize the airboaters to enter New Orleans. Without that permission, they would be subject to arrest and would not receive security and support services."

The whole article is here, you may have to register for the site:

http://www.orlandosentinel.com/news/weather/orl-caneboats0205sep02,...

2005-09-03 9:44 AM

User image

Elite Veteran
chicago area
This is so ridiculous. All of these people trying to help others while the government f*&^ it all up! This is very frustrating and I can't imagine how those people still trapped are feeling. Sorry, I'm just getting really pi$$ed off about this whole thing.

2005-09-03 9:47 AM
in reply to: #240134

User image

Expert
Orlando, FL
I know...it just seems so WRONG...FEMA is dropping the ball here in my limitedly informed opinion. I can't imagine all the good 500 airboats could have done in the past 5 days - and it's not like they are a bunch of yahoos - it's an organization with leadership, etc, all ready to go....argh...angry again....
2005-09-03 10:47 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
las vegas
i heard that a few times yesterday on NPR.  they were saying that private citizens/organizations were not allowed to help, which is ludicrous, especially considering no one else was doing anything for four days!  good luck...your efforts are noble.
2005-09-03 12:11 PM

User image

Resident Curmudgeon
The Road Back
Gold member

Sorry, but I have to side with FEMA and the authorities in this matter. The last thing the rescue/recovery effort needs is a bunch of amateurs in there running/flying willy nilly, inefficiently using resources, taking the risk of becoming victims themselves and further burdening the rescue effort.

Brenda, what exactly did y'all have in mind? What supplies? Where would you deliver them? Who would you deliver them to? Even residents aren't being allowed bacl into the most affected areas, so there is no one to receive the supplies. To the evacuee shelters? Then work through the Red Cross, they're managing those shelters.. From what I hear though, what they need most is dollars.

That said, if your organization can arrange this through an official organization like Red Cross, I'd be happy to help work things on this end. I'm 140 miles west of New Orleans, we have a nice airport, there are snaller airports between here and there as well. If need be, I can mobilize a Rotary Club or two to help in the effort.

Lafayette (where I am) has about 10,000 evacuees in shelters, probably 100,000 in motels and private residences. Perhaps those people could use assistance.

2005-09-03 12:44 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Racine WI
Brenda,

Cindy's cousin is in Eastern Texas and their church has started accepting refugees and is looking for help with support. If you decide to go that route, let me know and I will get you the contact info.

Mark
2005-09-03 1:24 PM

User image

Expert
Orlando, FL
Hey Bear - I agree that the efforts of volunteers need to be organized through the appropriate organizations (FEMA and Red Cross for starters) - I just found it incredibly sad that FEMA didn't manage to deploy those 500 airboats yet - they were contacted about it right at the beginning - seems like 6 days should be enough time to figure out how to let them help....maybe not. FEMA works with a lot of subcontractors - down to handfuls of people with pickup trucks around here last year - a big organization like the Airboat Association shouldn't be that hard to coordinate.

It is very easy to second guess things from the comfort of my own home - and having been thru 3 hurricanes last year, I understand all too well how hard it can be to find out the details of the logistics. In my own neighborhood, it took us 3 months to finally get help from FEMA contractors to clear our streets - nobody really seemed to know what areas had been cleared and what not.

Shelters and people here are starting to see refugees, so it will be important for us to donate locally if we live within a few hundred miles, or in places where refugees will be collecting. Our local shelters are not seeing the money yet from the national groups, and they have immediate needs for things like clothes, shoes, furniture, etc. Maybe your town, too.

Edited by annabananamc 2005-09-03 1:25 PM

2005-09-03 2:07 PM
in reply to: #240188

User image

Resident Curmudgeon
The Road Back
Gold member

Right anna, from the comfort of your own home, you don't know all the circumstances, just what the media feeds you. Just because 500 airboats sounds like a good idea doesn't mean that it's practical, efficient safe, or fits into the bigger effort. What happens to 500 airboat operators once they get here if there is no food or shelter, no gas to get them out?

Why would we need boaters from Florida? We have thousands of airboats here within an hour drive. In fact, hundreds of boaters from this area made the trek to New Orleans, many were put to work but many more were sent home went the shooting started. Ditto with a caravan of school busses. What happens to 500 airboat operators once they get here if there is no food or shelter, no gas to get them out?

For that matter, why would we need supplies flown down from Chicago? Again, I'm two hours away, we have no shortages here. Walmart is up and running, there's a huge regional distribution center withing ten minutes of my house. Food, water, gasoline is plentiful. The task at hand is to get supplies to those few survivors remaining in the city, then get them out of New Orleans.

I know there's a certain amount of helplessness as you watch this unfold, but it appears that the resources to help the immediate need are in place. It will be a long-term evacuation/relocation/reconstruction process, and probably the best way to help is to continue to support the organizations like the Red Cross with donations.

2005-09-03 3:49 PM

User image

Elite Veteran
chicago area
The plan is to fly to a staging area where supplies are being transported into the affected region. We have no intention on entering the red zone, in fact it is illegal right now unless you have special clearance.
We've already donated to the Red Cross and my husband's local flying club is just looking for a place that can use the basics, such as food, water, clothing, medicine. Here is the message my husband received via email:

"In response to the devastation of Hurricane Katrina, we would like to
coordinate a food/water/meds drop to victims in need. We am currently in
the research mode, and have made contact with Fox News to solicit donations
of supplies and fuel costs for us to make this humanitarian drop. We are
trying to find a personal contact who can distribute the supplies along with
a safe airport to land in.
>
> I was wondering if you could put word out to the group to see who might
want to volunteer to fly their airplane with the supplies. Please e-mail us
back ASAP with who might be interested."

I hope we can do something.
Bear, I understand what you are saying about interfering with FEMA and creating more of a problem, but it is frustrating to see so many people willing to help and unable to do so. Thanks for the information. I will keep you up to date on what's happening.

One other thing, if evacuees need to be relocated, the pilots are willing to fly them to the Chicago area to contact friends or family they may have.

Edited by bmax 2005-09-03 3:51 PM
2005-09-03 3:58 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Texas
While it is frustrating that help isn't getting where it is needed I also agree with Bear and Anna. Direct from FEMA's web page "...in its first few years that emphasized how complex emergency management can be..." I'm sure it takes a lot of coordination to get a major evacuation going.

However (playing devils advocate here) isn't that what FEMA is all about, dealing with emergency disasters? They should have communication/evacuation/assistance plans in action with in 48 hours. No matter what the disaster is or where it is located there should be set guidelines that FEMA employees are trained to handle. That's their frek'n job.

Sunday..hmm a level 4 or 5 hurricane is about to hit the Gulf Coast let's start planning where supplies are going to come from and where to send them (general areas maybe not specific locations). Monday, oh crap levees broke...well we are already shipping supplies so lets get our preorganized rescue groups out there. Come on FEMA let's be a little proactive instead of reactive!
2005-09-03 5:28 PM
in reply to: #240225

User image

Resident Curmudgeon
The Road Back
Gold member

bmax - 2005-09-03 2:49 PM The plan is to fly to a staging area where supplies are being transported into the affected region. We have no intention on entering the red zone, in fact it is illegal right now unless you have special clearance. We've already donated to the Red Cross and my husband's local flying club is just looking for a place that can use the basics, such as food, water, clothing, medicine. 

Again, once you get out of "the red zone," there are no shortages. Despite the media and impression of the rest of the nation, this is NOT a third world country. Baton Rouge, Lafayette, Morgan City, probably Houma, are all up and running, mostly unscathed, all within two hours of metro NO. All major arteries into those communities are operable. Stores are open, supply lines are open, I see no need to fly supplies in from Chicago. If you find a reason though, I will be glad to help as much as possible. Meanwhile, I continue to recommend monetary donations so that the organizations can buy those supplies HERE, where they have been efficiently transported by the normal marketing/distribution system.

The problems lie in getting those supplies into the affected areas, and getting the people out of those areas into established shelters. Those tasks are now in the hands of the military, and they will request civilian help if needed.

Larry King is hosting a 3-hour special tonight on CNN, on "What you can do to help." Might be a good place for info and where to start.

2005-09-03 6:31 PM

User image

Expert
Orlando, FL
We'll be sending money....

And also donating goods locally to places where refugees are sheltering.

Bear - your comments are really helpful to me in wrapping my arms around the whole thing, thank you. It makes a LOT of sense to send money - which doesn't require manpower or fossil fuel to transport - and then let TPTB purchase the supplies locally. It will also help those local economies some I imagine - all good.

And I am really relieved to hear that the red zone is relatively contained as far as affect goes, and that your area is up and running well.

Thanks again!

2005-09-03 8:18 PM
in reply to: #240255

User image

Elite Veteran
chicago area
Thanks Bear. We haven't heard from the guy who is supposedly arranging this. We may just stick with the financial aid.
Hearing from someone who is relatively close to what's going on down there makes us rethink this trip. I will watch Larry King tonight if possible and see what else we can do. Right now we just don't feel like we're doing enough....
2005-09-03 9:31 PM
in reply to: #240133

User image

Master
State of Confusion
It seems bureaucratic red tape is the culprit in most of the delays. Someone along the way should have said "screw this, we're going in!" It is incredibly disheartening (major understatement!) to think that when the tsunami hit Thialand, aid was there within 24 hours, including US aid. On our home turf the bumbling idiots in charge point the finger at someone else and can't seem to pull their heads out of their arses. OY VEY! MAMA MIA! It more than ticks me off!
New Thread
Other Resources My Cup of Joe » Can someone be a contact person for a Katrina relief flight? Rss Feed