General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Running mileage standards - what about slower runners? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 2

2011-07-07 8:20 AM
in reply to: #3584314

User image

Lafayette, CO
Subject: RE: Running mileage standards - what about slower runners?

bdenehy - 2011-07-07 7:04 AM I like running for time because it allows for variety. Unless I run the same route every time, a mile isn't really a mile, etc. By only doing minutes moving I don't get worked up over running a steep rocky trail, even if it means walking some. 12 min miles can take as much work as 9. So if I only have x minutes to get out there and have to finish y miles I would probably pick the same close-to-home route, get faster for a time, get bored, and go back into hibernation. If mixing it up keeps me out there for more time, i'll assume that speed increases will follow.

Oh, I agree that mixing it up helps me get out there but I can do that just as easily with miles.  I regularly start runs at 15 or more different places and many of those have multiple different routes to go from there.   Mentally I just need to know I can do X distance and don't get worked up over whether I can do it in Y or Z time.  But, I also don't tend to compare say 8 miles on steep singletrack trail to 8 miles of crushed gravel/groomed trail to 8 miles of road.  Really, it's just semantics, everyone has to find what works for them to be successful in running. 

2011-07-07 1:16 PM
in reply to: #3582861

Extreme Veteran
Central Wisconsin
What is your limiting factor in getting faster? Is it weight? Is it a lack of fitness? Is it an injury?

Determine your limiting factor and start focusing on reducing that factor. Almost any well thought out run program will get you faster. The reason for this is because it has you running more.

My suggestion would be to bump your weekly mileage up to 15 miles spread out over 6 days. You can run on back to back days, especially if you are doing the 3:2:1 BarryP run program. Follow it for a month and I bet your 11 m/m will drop down to a 9m/m.

2011-07-07 4:03 PM

User image

Fwiw I do think there is a benefit to going over the 20 mile per week threshold. Actually for me I feel it at 25 miles per week. I have nothing but personal experience to base it on but that's when the fitness starts to really kick in for me. It's also a truth line because for me at that point I have to do better with nutrition and also if I haven't been good with my strength training that's when the injuries will show up.
2011-07-08 9:30 AM

User image

Expert
The Woodlands, TX

BikerGrrrl - 2011-07-06 10:09 AM Often we talk about needing to do more mileage to improve your run.  People will say things like "you need to be running 20 miles per week (or more, just an example) to even start with speed work."

I have also noticed that this sort of advice comes from folks who run much faster than I do. 

Added to that, there's a theme of time being more important than distance.  To not worry about running a certain number of miles in training because the overall time put in training will show on race day.  I certainly agree with that, since my race times are consistently faster than my training times.  The magic works.

So, I am wondering, how many miles/week should a person who runs their "easy long run" at an 11 min/mile pace be working toward? 

Just so I am clear, I understand that running more will naturally move a person into the category of a faster runner to a degree.  Also, I understand I do NOT run a lot and I should (and want to), so no need to analyze my log.  I am not looking for an excuse to run less, I am truly curious if my goals should be the same as a person who runs a mile 3 or more mins faster than me. 

I would be curious to hear from folks who are running 20 or more miles/week who are slow (let's say 58 min 10k or slower).  Or, from a coach who someone who trains someone in that pace range.    Is it reasonable for me to have the same mileage goals as a runner who is much faster?

I would pick one or the other. I'm personally a distance guy for many of the reasons that others have posted. Time works great for a lot of people as well. I think in your case though you have to be careful not to cross back and forth between the two. If your distance volume is relatively small because you are a 'slower' runner and train on time, then (as an example) head to the track and do a speed workout based on distance (say, repeat 800's), you are doing more speed work than your faster counterparts as a percentage of you total volume. That is a textbook example on how to get injured.

Ultimately, if you are trying to figure out the long run or the hard run, you need to look at your goal and back up from there. If you are shooting for a half mary, then you need to stair step yourself up to that distance over time. That might mean a 55 minute long run now (or a 5 mile run if you go by distance) and a 2 hr long run in 3 months (or 11 miles if you go by distance). The beautiful thing about distance is that the time spent training will shrink as you get better.

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Running mileage standards - what about slower runners? Rss Feed  

of 2