General Discussion Iron Distance Race Groups » Ironman Coeur d'Alene : Official Thread Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 56

2011-07-18 10:43 PM
in reply to: #3595565

User image

Extreme Veteran
Villanova
Subject: RE: Ironman Coeur d'Alene : Official Thread
I'm in for 2012!!! It will be my first IM.  Flyboy is right.  The new route is much more dangerous than the old.  I travel up and down 95 alot for work and spend alot of time in CDA. Its going to be interesting to see how they block off traffic for the race.  The road isn't wide and there is a ton of traffic.  State of idaho has been expanding the freeway to 4 lanes in many areas, but its still mostly a 2 land hwy.  Pancake flat?  Please.  Anyone that lives up here in the inland northwest knows that rolling hills are as flat as it gets.  There will be some good climbs and quick descents on 95.  The city of CDA is what makes the event.  I volunteered last year and have had friends do the race.  The downtown and the fan support are absolutely ELECTRIC.  Tons of volunteers, fans, the support is incredible.  I can't wait to race it, bike course change or not.  Its going to be a magical day!

2011-07-18 11:04 PM
in reply to: #3600220

User image

Veteran
WA
Ballyb3 - 2011-07-17 7:54 AM

Can anyone post on previous places they stayed or any other logistical tips for CDA? Thanks in advance.

Based in San Francisco. Wondering the best way to get there...

Fly into Spokane, WA (GEG) of you are flying. 45 min. drive to CDA from the airport. There are several chain hotel/motels in CDA. LaQuinta on Sherman, Day's Inn and Holiday Inn on Northwest plus several homes and condo's are avail. I talked to a few people who rented condos in the Riverstone area which is fairly close to downtown and right on a bike path. I think the Ironman site has a lodging link for those.
2011-07-19 6:57 AM

User image

Champion
SRQ, FL
We rented a house from GetawayCDA that was up in Hayden (right on the bike course near the golf course).  With the bike route changing (maybe) away from Hayden I'm betting you could get a good deal up there.  It was only about a 10-15 min drive into downtown.  We did it MANY MANY times during our week there.
2011-07-20 8:13 AM

User image

Expert
Just 15 BTers signed up so far--how do we get more folks inspired to take the leap to join us or at least add IMCDA to their planned races?
2011-07-20 1:10 PM

San Antonio
I'm in!  I registered weeks ago, but didn't see BT have the race listed until today. This will be my first Ironman (just started doing tris in February).  Originally I am from Montana, but now live in San Antonio - Love the hill country, hate the heat!  My wife is from the CDA area and I know the area well.  I would be disapointed in riding on south 95, but am overly excited to just be there for the whole experience.  I look forward to following the posts and learning from everybody. 
2011-07-20 3:06 PM

New user

Arvada, CO
I tried CDA this year for my first ironman and screwed up my fluid intake and had to pull out on mile 85 on the bike.  Signed right up for 2012 and am hoping for a better result.  I really hope they keep the bike course the same, but like many have said, it'll be great either way.  I used CDA Getaway as well this year and had a great rental.  Looking forward to training chat with you all!  First question, has anyone done purely liquid food for an ironman???

2011-07-20 3:18 PM
in reply to: #3606752

User image

Expert

ki0722 - 2011-07-20 2:06 PM I tried CDA this year for my first ironman and screwed up my fluid intake and had to pull out on mile 85 on the bike.  Signed right up for 2012 and am hoping for a better result.  I really hope they keep the bike course the same, but like many have said, it'll be great either way.  I used CDA Getaway as well this year and had a great rental.  Looking forward to training chat with you all!  First question, has anyone done purely liquid food for an ironman???

My brother went with a complete liquid diet for IM St. George last year and kicked my butt.  I may try it at IMCDA but will need the right mix of shakes and plenty of water to make it work.

2011-07-20 3:27 PM

User image

Florida

ki0722 - 2011-07-20 4:06 PM I tried CDA this year for my first ironman and screwed up my fluid intake and had to pull out on mile 85 on the bike.  Signed right up for 2012 and am hoping for a better result.  I really hope they keep the bike course the same, but like many have said, it'll be great either way.  I used CDA Getaway as well this year and had a great rental.  Looking forward to training chat with you all!  First question, has anyone done purely liquid food for an ironman???

I tried using only infinite nutrition on the bike at Lake Placid in 2006. it really didn't work for me.  i have learned over the years to live off of the course.  bottle preparation and worrying about powder and mixing it on the course is a nightmare for me.  i prefer to just go.  I'm not saying I like IM Perform.  I just deal with it.

Are you a heavy sweater?  Check your sweat rate and determine how much fluid you should be replacing and then adjust a bit based on heat and humidity. 

PS.  I spent 3 hours in the med tent at IMLP 2006 and haven't had infinite nutrition since then.  I know it wasn't the infinite, but I just can't stomach the stuff anymore. 

2011-07-20 3:27 PM
in reply to: #3606801

New user

Arvada, CO
cayrip - 2011-07-20 2:18 PM

ki0722 - 2011-07-20 2:06 PM I tried CDA this year for my first ironman and screwed up my fluid intake and had to pull out on mile 85 on the bike.  Signed right up for 2012 and am hoping for a better result.  I really hope they keep the bike course the same, but like many have said, it'll be great either way.  I used CDA Getaway as well this year and had a great rental.  Looking forward to training chat with you all!  First question, has anyone done purely liquid food for an ironman???

My brother went with a complete liquid diet for IM St. George last year and kicked my butt.  I may try it at IMCDA but will need the right mix of shakes and plenty of water to make it work.

Good to know.  I'm going to do some experimenting this summer while it's warm to try some different things out. 

2011-07-20 3:30 PM
in reply to: #3606830

New user

Arvada, CO
docfish - 2011-07-20 2:27 PM

ki0722 - 2011-07-20 4:06 PM I tried CDA this year for my first ironman and screwed up my fluid intake and had to pull out on mile 85 on the bike.  Signed right up for 2012 and am hoping for a better result.  I really hope they keep the bike course the same, but like many have said, it'll be great either way.  I used CDA Getaway as well this year and had a great rental.  Looking forward to training chat with you all!  First question, has anyone done purely liquid food for an ironman???

I tried using only infinite nutrition on the bike at Lake Placid in 2006. it really didn't work for me.  i have learned over the years to live off of the course.  bottle preparation and worrying about powder and mixing it on the course is a nightmare for me.  i prefer to just go.  I'm not saying I like IM Perform.  I just deal with it.

Are you a heavy sweater?  Check your sweat rate and determine how much fluid you should be replacing and then adjust a bit based on heat and humidity. 

PS.  I spent 3 hours in the med tent at IMLP 2006 and haven't had infinite nutrition since then.  I know it wasn't the infinite, but I just can't stomach the stuff anymore. 

Thanks.  Yes, heavy sweater unfortunately.  The problem for me is knowing how to adjust for weather.  All of my training rides were fine, but they were all under 65 degrees and then race day wasn't much warmer, but I had stomach issues the day before and I think that started out the problem.  Lessons learned, but I think still a lot to learn before next year.

2011-07-20 6:06 PM

User image

Veteran
WA
Just found this link to the new bike course. Still not set in stone and I'm not sure where this person got their info but it is about what I thought it would look like. I don't think the elevation change is as bad as it says on this map. But it'll be interesting if it is. Plan on riding part of this on Sat. AM early to avoid the traffic just to see what it is like. https://www.trainingpeaks.com/sr/DEYUMEBZWWO2WSSODDSRK6ATYE

Edited by achen2iron 2011-07-20 6:08 PM

2011-07-21 8:20 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Oakland, Florida

I used Infinit exclusively for my IM last year and it worked out fine with me.  I have been using it for a couple of years.  You have the ability to talk with a person on their website about your event distances, etc along with your body make up, sweat rate etc and they will help you design a personal powder for you.  They have great reviews and I have only heard of positives from them.  They can set up all of calories, electrolytes, etc you need based off the information you provide them.

2011-07-21 9:11 AM
in reply to: #3607094

User image

Florida

achen2iron - 2011-07-20 7:06 PM Just found this link to the new bike course. Still not set in stone and I'm not sure where this person got their info but it is about what I thought it would look like. I don't think the elevation change is as bad as it says on this map. But it'll be interesting if it is. Plan on riding part of this on Sat. AM early to avoid the traffic just to see what it is like. https://www.trainingpeaks.com/sr/DEYUMEBZWWO2WSSODDSRK6ATYE[/QUOTE]

if that link is correct, it looks like the elevation gain would be about double the current bike course?  Am I missing something?  The current course has an elevation gain of about 5000 feet total.  This link says 6k for each lap.  YIKES!!!!  we're either in trouble or something is not adding up.

2011-07-21 10:41 AM
in reply to: #3607907

User image

Regular
Raleigh, NC
hahaha... yup!.. the 6k elevation i hope is wrong as that scares the bee-jesus out of me!!... bloody hell, we have nothing round here to practice for that...

(and to be honest, i dont really know what a bee-jesus is, let-alone whether or not i have any of it in me to be scared out of me).. :P

docfish - 2011-07-21 10:11 AM

achen2iron - 2011-07-20 7:06 PM Just found this link to the new bike course. Still not set in stone and I'm not sure where this person got their info but it is about what I thought it would look like. I don't think the elevation change is as bad as it says on this map. But it'll be interesting if it is. Plan on riding part of this on Sat. AM early to avoid the traffic just to see what it is like. https://www.trainingpeaks.com/sr/DEYUMEBZWWO2WSSODDSRK6ATYE[/QUOTE]

if that link is correct, it looks like the elevation gain would be about double the current bike course?  Am I missing something?  The current course has an elevation gain of about 5000 feet total.  This link says 6k for each lap.  YIKES!!!!  we're either in trouble or something is not adding up.

Edited by donwah 2011-07-21 10:42 AM
2011-07-21 12:40 PM
in reply to: #3607094

User image

Thanks for posting this I will be curious to hear what you think of it because 13,000 feet of elevation change in 112 miles sure sounds like a crap ton to me. This is far from the pancake flat course that people were thinking in the beginning that the course was going to become.

achen2iron - 2011-07-20 5:06 AM Just found this link to the new bike course. Still not set in stone and I'm not sure where this person got their info but it is about what I thought it would look like. I don't think the elevation change is as bad as it says on this map. But it'll be interesting if it is. Plan on riding part of this on Sat. AM early to avoid the traffic just to see what it is like. https://www.trainingpeaks.com/sr/DEYUMEBZWWO2WSSODDSRK6ATYE[/QUOTE]

Edited by zwiens 2011-07-21 12:41 PM
2011-07-21 12:57 PM

User image

I put the route into my training peaks account which has the elevation correction in there and it lists it as 4600 feet of elevation change per lap so a total of 9200 feet of gain. That is still a LOT.

2011-07-21 1:15 PM

User image

Expert
Does anyone know how much elevation change IM St. George has?  I cannot remember since the elevation gain/loss of the run completely made me forget about the bike.
2011-07-21 2:26 PM
in reply to: #3608535

User image

Florida

zwiens - 2011-07-21 1:57 PM I put the route into my training peaks account which has the elevation correction in there and it lists it as 4600 feet of elevation change per lap so a total of 9200 feet of gain. That is still a LOT.

That would give this course more elevation gain than lake placid and probably put it close to St. George.  Wow. 

2011-07-21 2:49 PM
in reply to: #3608721

User image

Champion
SRQ, FL
docfish - 2011-07-21 3:26 PM

zwiens - 2011-07-21 1:57 PM I put the route into my training peaks account which has the elevation correction in there and it lists it as 4600 feet of elevation change per lap so a total of 9200 feet of gain. That is still a LOT.

That would give this course more elevation gain than lake placid and probably put it close to St. George.  Wow. 

Wow, guess I did not drive far enough out on 95.  If that's true this is going to be a killer course.  And I agree with Flydoc, people are going to be hitting some really fast speeds on the descents.

2011-07-23 12:52 PM

User image

Veteran
WA
Did ride this morning on "new" course. Rode from just south of CDA down to the Worley Fire Station and back. 18 miles each way. Here is the link to my Garmin info: http://connect.garmin.com/activity/101153105 I think the elevation is accurate.
Hills are pretty gradual since it is a highway. It's going to be a fast course. The shoulder is mega wide in most spots. It's fog line, 3-4" then rumble strip then several feet of shoulder. The down side is it is full of gravel and stuff. Not much traffic at 7AM on a Sat. morning and very few cross streets. I didn't feel like the down side of that Mica grade is going to be that hazardous. It is very easy to hold a line. Unfortunately I have a compact double thinking I was going to be riding the other course for the next few years so I am pushing a whole lot of nothing on the descents The scenery is still nice if you ignore the guard rails and such. Here are a couple photos:
2011-07-23 12:55 PM

User image

Veteran
WA
Sorry, I will figure out how to link photos later.

2011-07-23 4:21 PM
in reply to: #3611408

User image

achen2iron - 2011-07-22 11:52 PM Did ride this morning on "new" course. Rode from just south of CDA down to the Worley Fire Station and back. 18 miles each way. Here is the link to my Garmin info: http://connect.garmin.com/activity/101153105I think the elevation is accurate. Hills are pretty gradual since it is a highway. It's going to be a fast course. The shoulder is mega wide in most spots. It's fog line, 3-4" then rumble strip then several feet of shoulder. The down side is it is full of gravel and stuff. Not much traffic at 7AM on a Sat. morning and very few cross streets. I didn't feel like the down side of that Mica grade is going to be that hazardous. It is very easy to hold a line. Unfortunately I have a compact double thinking I was going to be riding the other course for the next few years so I am pushing a whole lot of nothing on the descents The scenery is still nice if you ignore the guard rails and such. Here are a couple photos:

Awesome thanks so much for riding it and posting that file. Glad to hear that it isn't going to be the 13,000 feet of climbing that the original course posting showed

2011-07-23 4:39 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Villanova
Thanks for riding the course.  I drive it alot so i knew there would be some climbs.  Need to get out there and  do it!
2011-07-23 8:03 PM

User image

Expert
Portland, OR
I've got to chime in here with Flyboy on the safety aspect of the possible new course. Of course WTC will have the roads blocked off on race day but as a 3 time participant in IM CDA on the existing course I can tell you that I usually ride the course at least 2 if not 3 times each prior to race day and there'd be no way I'd feel comfortable training on an active Highway with giant semis speeding past. The current course was challenging and beautiful and as much as I'd love some redemption for my DNF this year due to that F'ed up water temp I doubt I'll be back if they change the course
2011-07-24 8:49 AM
in reply to: #3611414

User image

Extreme Veteran
Spokane, Wa
ThamesThanks for the recon! I'll ride it... It sound like a very big shoulder. I have a friend that's ridden it many times and I do a lot of my training on a highway with the semis. They provide a nice tailwind as they go flying by.
New Thread
General Discussion Iron Distance Race Groups » Ironman Coeur d'Alene : Official Thread Rss Feed  

of 56