General Discussion Iron Distance Race Groups » Ironman Coeur d'Alene : Official Thread Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 56

2011-07-15 8:15 AM
in reply to: #3595565

User image

Master
Chesapeake, VA
Subject: RE: Ironman Coeur d'Alene : Official Thread
The finish chute along Sherman Ave is great.  Like others have said, the town really supports the race.  I've never done another race, but I can't imagine that another town could have the same feel as Coeur d'Alene does on race week.  The vibe in town starting on Wednesday as athletes start to arrive leading right up to the finish as midnight on Sunday makes the whole event feel special.  You can literally feel the buzz grow within the town each day as the race gets closer.  That to me is what sets this race apart from others (even though I have nothing to compare it to).

I might just be talking myself into something.......... 

2011-07-15 9:00 AM

User image

Florida

I'm in for 2012.  I also agree with the Wolf.   The finish on Sherman ave is the best.  this will be my third IM CDA race (2005 and 2008 previously) and looks like my third bike course change.  While I really liked the bike course, whatever WTC throws at us is fine with me.  As previously stated, we're all racing the same course and anything is better than riding in FLORIDA.

I'm more concerned about having to go up and over the hill on the run.  for those of you that did it in 2011, how far down the backside of the hill do you go?   

2011-07-15 10:22 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Herriman, Utah
I have to take my own advice now that the bike course of my next IM venue - Florida 2012, baby! - is getting beat up on!
2011-07-15 11:16 AM
in reply to: #3597912

Master
, California
docfish - 2011-07-15 7:00 AM

I'm in for 2012.  I also agree with the Wolf.   The finish on Sherman ave is the best.  this will be my third IM CDA race (2005 and 2008 previously) and looks like my third bike course change.  While I really liked the bike course, whatever WTC throws at us is fine with me.  As previously stated, we're all racing the same course and anything is better than riding in FLORIDA.

I'm more concerned about having to go up and over the hill on the run.  for those of you that did it in 2011, how far down the backside of the hill do you go?   

It isn't too far down the other side, maybe half a mile?

When you bike over it you're thinking "that's it?".  It just sucks at mile 20 of the run.  I did about a 1 minute walk break up that hill, outbound, where it's steeper.  It isn't too far - I'd say a 1 min walk gets you about halfway up the hill.  The other side is more gradual, so coming back after the turnaround, I just ran up the whole thing.

For the most part, the IMCdA run course is flat as a pancake.

2011-07-15 11:45 AM
in reply to: #3597912

User image

Champion
SRQ, FL
docfish - 2011-07-15 10:00 AM

To the bottom?   Not sure what you mean. 

I will tell you this.  I see you are from FL (like me).  Start going to San Antonio and Clermont and riding the hills.  A lot.  Nothing here in FL compraes to the hills in CDA.

2011-07-15 12:02 PM

User image

Ironman CDA 2012 will be my very first ironman. I am from Spokane originally (live in Portland now) so I am fairly familiar with the CDA area. I have family that still lives up in the area so I am looking forward to some good training days up there next spring.

2011-07-15 12:14 PM
in reply to: #3598231

User image

Florida

thanks for the info on the run course.  when I said bottom, i meant how far down the backside of the hill do you go?  from a previous post, it looks like a short while.  I agree, at mile 20, the hill will not be fun. 

I'm ready for the hills having done IMCDA and IMLP twice.  I just hope we get great weather as the 2011 folks did. 

for the 2011 crew, did you need to use booties due to the water temp? 

2011-07-15 12:15 PM
in reply to: #3598293

User image

Champion
SRQ, FL
docfish - 2011-07-15 1:14 PM

I did.  I'd say maybe 50-60% of the people did.

2011-07-15 12:20 PM
in reply to: #3598299

User image

Florida
re: the booties, did it feel like it helped?  did you feel like you feet were dragging?
2011-07-15 12:40 PM

Master
, California

No booties but I wore a neoprene cap.  Definitely helped a LOT compared to 2010 when I didn't use one.  You lose a lot of body heat through your head.

2011-07-15 12:48 PM
in reply to: #3598310

Champion
No excuses!

docfish - 2011-07-15 1:20 PM re: the booties, did it feel like it helped?  did you feel like you feet were dragging?

I used them, wouldn't say they helped but also couldn't say they hurt me either. One nice thing is you got out of the water and ran across a sandy beach and up through the grass to get to transition. If nothing else it kept a little of the junk off my feet even though they were numb Frown

2011-07-15 12:55 PM
in reply to: #3598395

User image

Champion
SRQ, FL
Shermbelle - 2011-07-15 1:48 PM

docfish - 2011-07-15 1:20 PM re: the booties, did it feel like it helped?  did you feel like you feet were dragging?

I used them, wouldn't say they helped but also couldn't say they hurt me either. One nice thing is you got out of the water and ran across a sandy beach and up through the grass to get to transition. If nothing else it kept a little of the junk off my feet even though they were numb Frown

x2.. that was my feeling as well.  The neoprene cap helped a lot more I think.

2011-07-15 1:01 PM
in reply to: #3598417

User image

Florida
neoprene cap it is.  on the fence with the booties.  I used them in 2008 but not in 2005, but the water was colder in 2008.  I just hated the feeling of the booties on my feet.  i guess I have 11 months to worry about it.  I'm hoping the lake will be 60 degrees and not in the 50's. 
2011-07-15 1:23 PM

User image

Master
Chesapeake, VA
Wow - this is early for water temp talk!  This conversation doesn't usually start until after the first of the new year.  

2011-07-15 2:21 PM
in reply to: #3598231

User image

Extreme Veteran
Oakland, Florida
TriRSquared - 2011-07-15 12:45 PM

I will tell you this.  I see you are from FL (like me).  Start going to San Antonio and Clermont and riding the hills.  A lot.  Nothing here in FL compraes to the hills in CDA.

I live in Clermont Florida.  I am doing my second IM this year at IMFL.  I wanted to sign up for this race last year and spent to much time on the fence.  I was wondering how prepared I could get riding Clermont (Sugarloaf, Buckhill)  Trisquard is that how you trained for this?  I have heard nothing but good things about how nice this IM is.  Is the change in Bike really a deal breaker?  Is there that big a difference in scenery on the new Bike course that really makes a huge difference in the expierence. 

Would like to know because I was going to pull he trigger on Saturday after a little more thought. 

2011-07-15 2:33 PM
in reply to: #3598613

User image

Florida
[email protected] - 2011-07-15 3:21 PM

I live in Clermont Florida.  I am doing my second IM this year at IMFL.  I wanted to sign up for this race last year and spent to much time on the fence.  I was wondering how prepared I could get riding Clermont (Sugarloaf, Buckhill)  Trisquard is that how you trained for this?  I have heard nothing but good things about how nice this IM is.  Is the change in Bike really a deal breaker?  Is there that big a difference in scenery on the new Bike course that really makes a huge difference in the expierence. 

Would like to know because I was going to pull he trigger on Saturday after a little more thought. 

I've raced in Clermont several times.  IMO, Clermont will get you ready.  I live in South Florida and never once went to Clermont to train for the CDA hills and did just fine on race day.  If you can do Sugarloaf, you'll be just fine. 

2011-07-15 2:35 PM
in reply to: #3598648

User image

Champion
SRQ, FL
docfish - 2011-07-15 3:33 PM

I've raced in Clermont several times.  IMO, Clermont will get you ready.  I live in South Florida and never once went to Clermont to train for the CDA hills and did just fine on race day.  If you can do Sugarloaf, you'll be just fine. 

If you live in Clermont you'll have no issues.  I only got up there once a month. 

Docfish you must have a natural talent for climbing hills.  I'm 6'4" 205.  A bit harder to get this Clydesdale frame up those hills.

2011-07-15 2:44 PM
in reply to: #3598652

User image

Florida
TriRSquared - 2011-07-15 3:35 PM
docfish - 2011-07-15 3:33 PM

If you live in Clermont you'll have no issues.  I only got up there once a month. 

Docfish you must have a natural talent for climbing hills.  I'm 6'4" 205.  A bit harder to get this Clydesdale frame up those hills.

6' and currently 205, but I raced IMLP 2010 at 180.  I know, I know, I have let myself go.  Innocent

2011-07-17 10:54 AM

User image

Can anyone post on previous places they stayed or any other logistical tips for CDA? Thanks in advance.

Based in San Francisco. Wondering the best way to get there...

2011-07-17 1:15 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Oakland, Florida

Good to know about our hills here in Florida.  Will look foward to doing this race in 2012. 
See you there.

2011-07-18 9:02 AM
in reply to: #3600220

User image

Florida
Ballyb3 - 2011-07-17 11:54 AM

Can anyone post on previous places they stayed or any other logistical tips for CDA? Thanks in advance.

Based in San Francisco. Wondering the best way to get there...

I have personally stayed at CDA Resort twice.  it's expensive, but the location can't be beat.  I also know someone else that stayed in a bed and breakfast walking distance to transition and they loved it.  i can get the name if you want.

2011-07-18 9:07 AM
in reply to: #3596673

User image

Expert
Coeur D'alene, ID
mallen4574 - 2011-07-14 10:32 AM In all reality I don't know that it will be a ton faster. It looks to me like it will be on the slower side going out with 2 good climbs and a alight uphill the whole way followed by a quick return to town and repeat the whole thing 2 times. Talking to a friend of mine who has ridden the old course and the new course a few times he estimates it will be 5 to 10 minutes faster. As far as the reason for the change, I think it has more to do with the old course being a little dangerous with all the turns. (I don't think it's dangerous) but WTC has to be aware that the possibility of a lawsuit is always there. So the safer they make it the better off they are. In summary it's not going to be an "easy" course. Also this race has sold out every year so I don't think attracting a more racers is the reason for the change.

It's not set in stone yet that the bike course will change, although it looks like it certainly may.  As one of the medical staff for IMCDA since it started, I can tell you that if it does change, we are giving strong consideration to pulling our support of the race simply from a safety standpoint.
First of all, for athletes training on the new proposed course, you will be riding along what is basically a 65mph freeway with a high volume of semitruck traffic.  Obviously on training days traffic won't be diverted like it will be on race day.  And when you're coming back into town, down Mica Grade, the rumble strips on the shoulder will definitely ruin your day if you inadvertently run over one.
And speaking Mica Grade, the new course will NOT be flat.  Mica Grade is about a 5 mile climb and there are lots of other good sized rollers between there and the turn around.  The problem with race day is the descent on Mica can easily see speeds well in excess of 50mph.  Combine that with large groups of riders and if one goes down there will be carnage.  Sure, the old course had a few issues as well and every year there are a few riders who crash, but not at the speeds that are easily possible on the new course.
I don't want this to sound like a complete downer post, since I do love having Ironman here in CDA.  Like others have said, the atmosphere in town during race week is great and the finish down Sherman Avenue is awesome!  That won't change, even if the bike course does.  So for those of you racing next year, enjoy your training and you can look forward to a great time in CDA.
2011-07-18 2:42 PM
in reply to: #3601379

User image

It's not set in stone yet that the bike course will change, although it looks like it certainly may.  As one of the medical staff for IMCDA since it started, I can tell you that if it does change, we are giving strong consideration to pulling our support of the race simply from a safety standpoint.
First of all, for athletes training on the new proposed course, you will be riding along what is basically a 65mph freeway with a high volume of semitruck traffic.  Obviously on training days traffic won't be diverted like it will be on race day.  And when you're coming back into town, down Mica Grade, the rumble strips on the shoulder will definitely ruin your day if you inadvertently run over one.
And speaking Mica Grade, the new course will NOT be flat.  Mica Grade is about a 5 mile climb and there are lots of other good sized rollers between there and the turn around.  The problem with race day is the descent on Mica can easily see speeds well in excess of 50mph.  Combine that with large groups of riders and if one goes down there will be carnage.  Sure, the old course had a few issues as well and every year there are a few riders who crash, but not at the speeds that are easily possible on the new course.
I don't want this to sound like a complete downer post, since I do love having Ironman here in CDA.  Like others have said, the atmosphere in town during race week is great and the finish down Sherman Avenue is awesome!  That won't change, even if the bike course does.  So for those of you racing next year, enjoy your training and you can look forward to a great time in CDA.

I am really confused as to what the bike leg becoming more dangerous in your opinion and you refusing to volunteer as part of the medical team have to do with each other. Is that supposed to be some sort of silent protest of the change? I don't mean to be an but that makes no sense at all.It is great that you have volunteered your time in the past and I do thank you for that but if they change the course you deciding to not help isn't going to change things back and then wouldn't we technically need more people to help with the medical side of things because of all the carnage that there is going to be.

2011-07-18 5:23 PM
in reply to: #3602307

User image

Expert
Coeur D'alene, ID
zwiens - 2011-07-18 11:42 AM

I am really confused as to what the bike leg becoming more dangerous in your opinion and you refusing to volunteer as part of the medical team have to do with each other. Is that supposed to be some sort of silent protest of the change? I don't mean to be an but that makes no sense at all.It is great that you have volunteered your time in the past and I do thank you for that but if they change the course you deciding to not help isn't going to change things back and then wouldn't we technically need more people to help with the medical side of things because of all the carnage that there is going to be.

The hospital here in CDA is a sponsor of the race and the the core staff for the medical tent are all hospital employees.  As such, we want no part of the inevitable lawsuits should a major crash happen or even if/when someone training for the race has a mishap out along the freeway.  Anyone associated with WTC or the race is going to be named in a suit, if one should be filed, you can be sure.  Hence, we may just disassociate ourselves from it.  That hasn't been decided amongst ourselves yet either, but it's been discussed.
And yes, that could be considered a form of protest.  The hospital's sponsorship and the medical team are a large part of the behind-the-scene planning and function of the race.  Consequently our hope is that the WTC powers that be will take our views and participation (or not) into consideration. 
And not to worry, WTC will have a medical tent for the race no matter what.   

2011-07-18 6:05 PM
in reply to: #3602623

User image

Seattle, WA
Flyboy - 2011-07-18 3:23 PM
zwiens - 2011-07-18 11:42 AM

The hospital here in CDA is a sponsor of the race and the the core staff for the medical tent are all hospital employees.  As such, we want no part of the inevitable lawsuits should a major crash happen or even if/when someone training for the race has a mishap out along the freeway.  Anyone associated with WTC or the race is going to be named in a suit, if one should be filed, you can be sure.  Hence, we may just disassociate ourselves from it.  That hasn't been decided amongst ourselves yet either, but it's been discussed.
And yes, that could be considered a form of protest.  The hospital's sponsorship and the medical team are a large part of the behind-the-scene planning and function of the race.  Consequently our hope is that the WTC powers that be will take our views and participation (or not) into consideration. 
And not to worry, WTC will have a medical tent for the race no matter what.   

If this is the case I sure hope these sentiments have been shared repeatedly to the "powers that be".  Concerns like this probably hold more weight than my "but I really liked the bike course!" e-mail I sent them.

New Thread
General Discussion Iron Distance Race Groups » Ironman Coeur d'Alene : Official Thread Rss Feed  

of 56