Ate a Clif Bar, Drank some Gatorade Endurance. Headed to the race site
Event warmup:

None
Swim
  • 12m 11s
  • 547 yards
  • 02m 14s / 100 yards
Comments:

This was one of my best swims yet. Fastest average pace per 100 yds yet, and I freestyled the whole way except for a very quick switch just for sighting. Got off course slightly once, but not too far.
What would you do differently?:

Not much...just get faster
Transition 1
  • 02m 24s
Comments:

This was one of my best T1s yet. Happy with it
Bike
  • 50m 52s
  • 14.8 miles
  • 17.46 mile/hr
Comments:

OK, for those who live and train in Austin, ignore the next few sentences. For those of us in other areas, I will tell you the truth. What they call "gently rolling hills" in the description of this tri might as well have been the Swiss Alps for this fat boy from Brownsville. Dear God, I thought I was going to fall over from lack of motion on one hill. I was pedaling as hard as I could, and I made the inexcusable mistake of looking at my bike computer at that moment...7 MPH!!! This completely deflated me, but I kept grinding along.

This was a very challenging course for me. And again, those who are used to hills, or who have better engines than I do, may tell you the hills were nothing...but they kicked my ass. Somehow, I was still able to maintain a decent, if not fast, pace for this race. In fact, despite the hills, it was my fastest bike average yet.

Ummmmmmmmmm.....rent a moped??
Transition 2
  • 01m 14s
Comments:

Ok, this was my best T2 ever, largely thanks to my new Yankz laces (thanks for the tip, Tiger Phil).

The best part of T2 was the exit, where two world class professional triathletes (Andrea Fisher and Jamie Cleveland) were passing out water guns to all participants so that we could shoot people on the run course...it was a hoot!

Nothing
Run
  • 33m 17s
  • 3 miles
  • 11m 05s  min/mile
Comments:

This was actually my fastest run pace in a tri (pathetic, I know...but I'm getting better each time). The funny thing is, if you had asked me before I got my results, I would have told you I was in the 13s. The run just felt REALLY crappy today....but obviously, I am improving. A few seconds faster, and I would have been in the 10s...I'll take that with a smile.

I gave a shout out to Dennis (dgunthert), Eric (xiphias) and Courtney (courtney_leone) on the run course. I was the fat guy in the Javelin top that looked like I was going to die. Didn't see you Jeff, sorry.

Run faster...spend less time harassing people with my water gun, even though it was fun. I dropped it once and had to stop and pick it up...ugh.
Post race
Warm down:

Pour water over my head, pray that I could stay upright, shake off the dizzies.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Same as always...I'm a beginner and I just need to keep training. Also, a HUGE factor was my indecision about whether to even go. I waited until almost 7:30 p.m. last night to make the call, and then when I decided to go, I had a 5 hour drive to deal with. Got to the hotel after midnight, tossed and turned till 5:00 a.m. So I started the race completely exhausted. My own fault, but I won't do it again.

Event comments:

Jack and Adams puts on a FANTASTIC race. I had a great time, and would definitely do this race again. It was nice to improve my times in every aspect of the race (all segments, including transitions, were my fastest pace yet). The water guns were a fun little wrinkle. My only small gripe is that there was only one water station on the run, and the water was in these tiny dixie cups...it was nowhere near enough water.

Enjoyed meeting you Courtney...keep up the good work. Eric and Dennis, you were both looking good, and both a lot faster than me! Sorry I missed you after the race. Jeff, hope to meet you at the next one.

Another neat little side note. Desiree Ficker, one of the top professional triathletes in the United States, actually took the time to come and do this race. She is very fast, and has a bike I drool over (Felt B2). It is cool to see these pros (Ficker, Cleveland, Fisher) coming to local races and interacting with all of us regular folks.

Finally, I realized today that even though I am improving, if my first Oly (Stonebridge Ranch - Oct 3) has hills like this tri did, I am not even close to ready for it. At the end of the race today, I was feeling very ill...just compeltely wiped out and probably dehydrated. I could not have ridden an extra 14 miles and run another 3.2. I still plan on attempting Stonebridge, but it is going to be a longshot to perform well at all. I'm hoping a large part of today's fatigue/illness was due to the stupid move last night in driving up so late and not getting enough rest.

Last updated: 2005-09-05 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:12:11 | 547 yards | 02m 14s / 100yards
Age Group: 0/32
Overall: 0/364
Performance: Good
Suit: DeSoto Shorts, Javelin Top
Course: Counter-clock-wise around the Texas Ski Ranch Lake
Start type: Wade Plus: Waves
Water temp: 0F / 0C Current:
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting:
Waves: Navigation: Average
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 02:24
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed:
Biking
00:50:52 | 14.8 miles | 17.46 mile/hr
Performance: Average
Wind:
Course: Very nice, HILLY course. Challenging for me
Road: Smooth  Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Average Hills: Below average
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Not enough
T2
Time: 01:14
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike Average
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
00:33:17 | 03 miles | 11m 05s  min/mile
Course: Out and back with a few hills.
Keeping cool Below average Drinking Not enough
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 2
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? No
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2005-09-05 5:10 PM

User image

Elite
Hurst, Texas
Subject: Jack's Generic Triathlon

2005-09-05 6:54 PM
in reply to: #240971

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.
2005-09-05 6:57 PM

Champion
Williamston, Michigan
Subject: RE: Jack's Generic Triathlon
Way to go there...Nice race...Hills are tough for us flatlanders but you stuck it out and finished   I think your run was fabulous.  take care and happy training
2005-09-05 7:02 PM

Elite
Hurst, Texas
Thanks, Aaron.  And in case you care, it was your PM encouragement last night that pushed me over the edge from waffling to getting on the road!  Thanks, buddy.
2005-09-05 7:04 PM
in reply to: #241017

2005-09-05 8:13 PM

Elite
Austin, TX
Gold member
Brandt,

GREAT job on the race! I'm glad you decided to come for it, though for your own sake I wish you had decided sooner! Nice job on the improvements as well. Don't worry so much about your Oly. Keep your pace under control on the swim and bike, and make sure and take fluids along with you. on the bike so you're ready when you get off. I had some Gatorade on the bike, but I knew going into the run that I'd need some fluids and I suck at drinking out of cups while running, so I grabbed my water bottle and carried it along on the run.

I was wondering who that was that gave me the shout-out on the run. Although now I'm left wondering how you knew it was me. Did you recognize me from my pic, or had you looked at the race numbers before hand?

You should have come up and introduced yourself after the race.

2005-09-05 8:21 PM

Elite
Hurst, Texas

Dennis,

I was standing right next to you at the swim start, and at the time I didn't even realize it was you.  Then I remembered Courtney telling me you were in a Javelin top and were #73, so I was looking for you on the run.  Having read your previous posts over the months, I knew you would be way in front of me and we'd cross during the run, so I was looking for you.

Sorry I missed you after the race...I was pretty wobbly and felt like crap, so I found some shade and sat down for a while, then went to the hotel for a shower and to get checked out and on the road home.

2005-09-05 8:45 PM
in reply to: #241049

Elite
Austin, TX
Gold member
I saw you come across the line, but I wasn't completely certain that it was "the guy in the Javelin outfit" that had yelled hello on the run, so I didn't come up to you. We'll have to meet up at the next one.
2005-09-05 8:53 PM

2005-09-06 9:16 AM

Extreme Veteran
Atlanta, GA
Great race. Congrats on the time improvements.

How is coach fran working out? We are not doing too much better since is departure.
2005-09-06 10:33 AM

Regular
Round Rock, TX
Awesome job! Sorry I missed you. I had to make a dash to the airport to drop off part of my cheering section. I hope to meet all of you next time.

BTW - My in-laws took a couple of great pics. I added them to my RR if anyone is interested.

2005-09-06 4:15 PM

Master
Shreveport, LA
Great job Brandt! Keep up the increase in time and endurance and by this time next year, you will be: IRON AG.
2005-09-06 4:34 PM

Veteran
Wichita, KS
Congratulations, man! I'll be doing my first tri (doing the sprint) at Stonebridge, so hopefully I'll see you there. It's October 2nd, isn't it?

Congrats again!
2005-09-07 9:21 AM

Elite
Texas

Wow that was a strong swim! After what you told me about the bike course Monday, I was surprised to see you had a good bike split too. Of course I was fishing at the time. Maybe I heard wrong, being so focused on the task at hand.

BTW: I'm in for the Houston 1/2. I may be running on my hands, but I'm in.

2005-09-07 10:43 AM

Pro
Evanston,
Great race, Brandt, and congratulations on hitting your big weight loss mark too -- fantastic!

It is definitely inspiring to see you getting faster every time. Keep up the great work.

-Celeste
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Jack's Generic Triathlon Rss Feed