General Discussion Race Reports! » Evergreen Lake International Triathlon Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Evergreen Lake International Triathlon - TriathlonOlympic

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Hudson, Illinois
United States
Tri-Mom Events, LLC
84F / 29C
Overcast
Total Time = 3h 17m 56s
Overall Rank = 363/390
Age Group = F 30-34
Age Group Rank = 25/28
Pre-race routine:

Woke up at 4 a.m. and drank an Ensure, then went back to sleep.

Woke up at 5 for the race. Mostly too nervous to eat but managed to get in a banana, some gatorade, and a little Clif bar.

Applied plenty of sunscreen. It got my race ink ALL over me. (Note: work out this issue somehow)
Event warmup:

Did not warm up.
Swim
  • 41m 56s
  • 1640 yards
  • 02m 34s / 100 yards
Comments:

First leg of the swim I couldn't settle in. Had to breathe with every stroke. It was a small wave, so there wasn't too much kicking or hitting, and I only had a few issues with ppl squeezing me out. I did stop several times though due to my breathing and because I got stuck behind a few others.

After we rounded the first buoy, i settled into my breathing and got back to my normal pace. Sighting wasn't great, I think I added a few extra yards to the swim by weaving to the inside and outside of lanes.
What would you do differently?:

I will wear wetsuits for long swims like this. I also need to try to sight better.
But, this time was only one minute over what I had predicted I would do (40 mins.).
Transition 1
  • 02m 37s
Comments:

LOVE my lock laces! Slipped into my shoes so easy.
Overall, pretty good transition. Gulped some gatorade and think I took a Gu too.

Turns out I put my helmet on backwards. So, after I started on my bike, I had to completely stop and turn my helmet around. I don't know why noone pointed this out to me BEFORE I left transition.
Bike
  • 1h 31m 18s
  • 24.85 miles
  • 16.33 mile/hr
Comments:

Apparently the bike is my worst sport, judging by my 381/390 placement. The funny thing is, this was better than I was expecting to do! I noticed that I was beating people going UP the hills, but everyone was passing me going DOWN the hills. Still, for what my training has been, this was good for me.

Took 2 Gus on the bike. Drank 1/2 gatorade.

It's pretty clear I have room for improvement on the bike. Despite beating my training pace, I still came in almost dead last in the bike. Boo.
Transition 2
  • 01m 17s
Comments:

This was my best performance of the race! LOL - My rank was 141. This transition was fine. I forgot to leave my bike gloves at transition though, and ended up having them in my belt during my entire run.

Remember to leave the bike gloves behind!
Run
  • 1h 00m 52s
  • 6.21 miles
  • 09m 48s  min/mile
Comments:

This was my best leg of the race. I ran the entire time, finished VERY strong (was running fast at the end) and am generally happy with my performance.

However, at the very beginning, I was disoriented after leaving the RUN OUT. The course takes you out of the transition area, but then you have to run right past the transition area to the BIKE OUT. I got confused between the run out and the bike out, stopped, started walking back to the run out and asking people which way I was supposed to go. I thought the day before I had mentally noted a different route, and I just got confused.

Take better notes of the course. Wish I would have broken 1 hour.
Post race
Warm down:

Ate an Avantis gondola.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

My biking. I need to improve.

Event comments:

Wonderful day, great race. I'm really happy this was the venue I selected for my first olympic, and would definitely do this course again!

Last updated: 2011-07-17 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:41:56 | 1640 yards | 02m 34s / 100yards
Age Group: 22/28
Overall: 336/390
Performance: Average
Suit: No wetsuit allowed
Course: Small lake. Water was like a bathtub.
Start type: Wade Plus:
Water temp: 84F / 29C Current: Low
200M Perf. Bad Remainder: Average
Breathing: Average Drafting:
Waves: Navigation:
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 02:37
Performance: Good
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike:
Getting up to speed: Good
Biking
01:31:18 | 24.85 miles | 16.33 mile/hr
Age Group: 26/28
Overall: 381/390
Performance: Below average
Wind: None
Course: BEAUTIFUL bike course! Little rolling hills, cornfields, windmills, wildflowers, cows -- you don't get any more Illinois than this course. So pretty. It made me happy.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Below average Cornering:
Gear changes: Hills:
Race pace: Drinks:
T2
Time: 01:17
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike
Racking bike
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
01:00:52 | 06.21 miles | 09m 48s  min/mile
Age Group: 20/28
Overall: 320/390
Performance: Good
Course: Flat, open course with lots of water stations along the way and cooling hoses. Awesome!
Keeping cool Good Drinking
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 5
Physical exertion [1-5]
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2011-07-17 8:06 AM

User image

Veteran
Oak Park
Subject: Evergreen Lake International Triathlon

2011-07-17 3:36 PM
in reply to: #3600094

User image

Master
Southwest Chicago 'burbs
Bronze member
Subject: RE: Evergreen Lake International Triathlon

Awesome! Awesome! AWESOME!!!!

Glad to hear you had such a great first-Oly experience!  I knew you'd ROCK this race!

2011-07-17 7:23 PM

User image

Veteran
Oak Park
Thanks Laura! I can't believe how quickly it was all over. Er... let me revise that. AFTER the swim I can't believe how quickly it was over. The swim seemed like I was in the water forever.  All in all though, a pretty good day for me.Laughing
2011-07-18 7:21 AM

User image

Master
Baltimore
Great race Nicole!  I'm really glad you're happy with it.
2011-08-01 11:16 PM
in reply to: #3601136

User image

Veteran
Oak Park

jsiegs - 2011-07-18 7:21 AM Great race Nicole!  I'm really glad you're happy with it.

(Ten years later) - Thanks! It's only two weeks since I finished and it already feels like forever ago. I can't wait to try another

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Evergreen Lake International Triathlon Rss Feed