Racing Underground
70F / 21C
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 09m 30s
Overall Rank = 13/231
Age Group = 45-49
Age Group Rank = 1/17
Pre-race routine:

Woke up at 5:15 and made a shake and ate a cliff bar and some coffee. Loaded up my bike and my wife's bike and we headed to Bennet which is about 45 minutes away.
Event warmup:

Road on the bike course for about 10 minutes and did some pick ups. Then ran for abou 8 minutes and did a few pickups and hit the porto potty.
Run
  • 14m 57s
  • 2.5 miles
  • 05m 59s  min/mile
Comments:

I was in wave C it included all men 40-49 and clydes. Started up front and look for my rival RObert Gilbert. COuld not see him so I just relaxed and waited for the start. I wanted to stay as close as I could to Robert as I know he is a faster runner than I, and I needed to be close to him at T1 if I was going to beat him today. He beat me at the barkin dog Du back in May, by 2 minutes! I started hard and 2 guys took off out front. Both were in the 40-44 agegroup. Kept running hard and looked back and their was Robert. I focused on my form and pushing off my big toe and just running hard. Got to the transition area and Robert Pulled in behind me. He did not pass me in the first run. Bad mistake for him. Now it was time to burry him on the bike.
What would you do differently?:

Nothing. Good run and it felt strong but not over the top.
Transition 1
  • 00m 24s
Comments:

Great, real smooth except getting the shoes on while on the road was a bit slow.

Nothing
Bike
  • 37m 45s
  • 15.5 miles
  • 24.64 mile/hr
Comments:

Finally go up to speed and passed the 3 people that passed me as I put on my shoes. We had a headwind on the way out so I knew it would be fast coming back. Pushed it about 90% and just looked to pick people off. ! guy passed me and I stayed near him until the turn around and he slowed for a truck going real slow and I passed him and then hit the 120 degree turn and could now see where Robert was. I saw him pretty quick and knew it was time to put the hammer down. 2 more guys passed me but I kept them with in 30 seconds. They were both 40-44. I thought one of them was my rival and just felt I had to go harder and I did. Turns out it was not RObert and I put in minute on him here.

Nothing. I rode smart and strong.
Transition 2
  • 00m 27s
Comments:

Passd both guys that passed me on the bike. 1 of them in transition and 1 right as we left. THe second guy is a friend of mine and a cyclist. He had the 6th fastest ride of the day. He says to me as I pass him, "if only I could figure out this run thing." I was like, yeah it is a big part of duathlon.

Nothing, real fast here.
Run
  • 15m 58s
  • 2.5 miles
  • 06m 23s  min/mile
Comments:

I charged hard from the start and got to about the half mile mark and I here footsteps, damnit, i knew it had to be RObert. He passes and to my surprize it was not. It was some youngster with his name on his butt. SO I just tried to stay with youngster and I looked back at mile 1 and I thought I saw RObert coming. I charged harder after each turn to try and keep him at bay. Back again for the last lap, still running hard I look back again at the same spot as I did on lap 1. No one there this time. I thought, he might not catch me today. Got to the last turn and looked back one last time and there was no one there. I was so happy. Crosssed the line and waited for RObert, he was a minute and a half back. I really felt I had a good race today and my fitness is coming along.

Nothing. I executed well today.
Post race
Warm down:

Walked back to a corner where I could watch my wife run her 2 laps. She got 3rd in her agegroup.. Yeah Michele.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

nothing

Event comments:

Good race and fun course. No turns on the bike just straight out and back. Won a pint glass for first in the agegroup. The national du champ at age 55 was here today and crushed me by 4 minutes. He was the second age grouper. THere were a handful of pros. #3-4 in the nation on the mens side. Josh Merrick and Justin Herd. ANd women 4th place at nationals. Pretty good competion in Bennet today.

Last updated: 2011-07-09 12:00 AM
Running
00:14:57 | 02.5 miles | 05m 59s  min/mile
Age Group: 1/17
Overall: 19/231
Performance: Good
Course: 2 loops in the near by neighborhood and some on a dirt road just outside the neighborhood.
Keeping cool Good Drinking
T1
Time: 00:24
Overall: Good
Run with bike? Good
Jump on bike? Good
Getting up to speed and into shoes: Average
Biking
00:37:45 | 15.5 miles | 24.64 mile/hr
Age Group: 1/17
Overall: 12/231
Wind: Headwind
Course: Straight out the main road and straight back. Pretty flat really.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills:
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 00:27
Riding w/ feet on shoes Good
Jumping off bike Good
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Average
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
00:15:58 | 02.5 miles | 06m 23s  min/mile
Age Group: 2/17
Overall: 20/231
Course: Same as first run. 2 laps in the neighborhood.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Mental exertion [1-5] 5
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Below average
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2011-07-17 9:22 PM

User image

Official BT Coach
Englewood, CO
Subject: Big Sky Duathlon

2011-07-18 5:41 PM
in reply to: #3600886

User image

Extreme Veteran
Highlands Ranch, Colorado
Subject: RE: Big Sky Duathlon
Smoking! (as usual)
2011-07-19 9:27 AM

User image

Pro
Parker, CO
Sheeoot!  You really hammered down Mark.  Nice job and congrats on 1st AG!
2011-07-23 1:19 AM

User image

Expert
Highlands Ranch, CO
Congrats Mark!  Sounds like both you and your wife had great races.
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Big Sky Duathlon Rss Feed