Other Resources My Cup of Joe » US Postal Service deserves to go out of business Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, the bear, DerekL, alicefoeller Reply

of 2

2011-07-19 2:02 PM
in reply to: #3602634

User image

Master
Denver
Subject: RE: US Postal Service deserves to go out of business

It's a mistake to try & compare USPS to UPS or FedEx - the post office is a government service, it isn't supposed to make a profit.  I'd like to see how competative UPS or FedEx would be if they had to visit every residence and business 6 days a week and keep an office open in every podunk town and ask congress for permission to raise their rates.

That said, just because USPSs purpose isn't to make a profit doesn't mean they shouldn't try and it doesn't mean they aren't in competition with companies who do have that as their sole mission.  Around here, my local letter carriers have mostly been really nice (a week after moving in I was about a block away, walking to the grocery store when the mailman stopped me & said "you're on up the block, right?  Welcome to the neighborhood".  Yet if you go to the actual office to pick up a package or something it seems to be a competition to see how slow they can move & seem very put out to actually have to you know, do their job.

Edited by drewb8 2011-07-19 2:06 PM

2011-07-19 3:30 PM
in reply to: #3604144

User image

Champion
Menomonee Falls, WI
I just heard a radio ad on my way home from the gym (it's waaaaaaaaay too hot here to run hill repeats outside), sponsored by the postal workers union.

In the ad, they claimed that the postal service is entirely self-funded by the sale of stamps and postal charges. What a load. That may cover operating costs, but not employees' pensions and benefits costs (the main cost to running a service-oriented business). This kind of deceptive spin just makes my head explode.

2011-07-19 3:31 PM

NE Texas
I live in a town of 300 people.  The post office staff here is VERY friendly and helpful.
2011-07-19 3:45 PM

User image

Runner
I believe the State Department is actually in charge of passports. All the USPS does is shuttle the paperwork for them, and provides a level of assistance to you because they are more ubiquitous than Dept. of State offices.
2011-07-19 3:49 PM
in reply to: #3604491

User image

Pro
Parker, CO

scoobysdad - 2011-07-19 2:30 PM I just heard a radio ad on my way home from the gym (it's waaaaaaaaay too hot here to run hill repeats outside), sponsored by the postal workers union. In the ad, they claimed that the postal service is entirely self-funded by the sale of stamps and postal charges. What a load. That may cover operating costs, but not employees' pensions and benefits costs (the main cost to running a service-oriented business). This kind of deceptive spin just makes my head explode.

Actually I am pretty certain that employee pensions and benefits are paid by USPS with no contributions from taxpayers.  They are the same benefits and retirement plan as the fed; however, USPS employees don't get funded by the fed.  There are some advantages that USPS receives as being a "quasi-ferderal" agency, such as tax breaks, retirement and benefits managed by a federal plan.  The contributions though are made by USPS.  That's a big reason why they are in such a mess right now.

2011-07-19 3:53 PM
in reply to: #3604550

Sometimes when I have to go to a palce to do something.  I call ahead and ask if they have special hours.  It takes less time then starting a thread.

Joe

2011-07-19 4:08 PM
in reply to: #3604550

User image

Champion
Menomonee Falls, WI
rayd - 2011-07-19 3:49 PM

scoobysdad - 2011-07-19 2:30 PM I just heard a radio ad on my way home from the gym (it's waaaaaaaaay too hot here to run hill repeats outside), sponsored by the postal workers union. In the ad, they claimed that the postal service is entirely self-funded by the sale of stamps and postal charges. What a load. That may cover operating costs, but not employees' pensions and benefits costs (the main cost to running a service-oriented business). This kind of deceptive spin just makes my head explode.

Actually I am pretty certain that employee pensions and benefits are paid by USPS with no contributions from taxpayers.  They are the same benefits and retirement plan as the fed; however, USPS employees don't get funded by the fed.  There are some advantages that USPS receives as being a "quasi-ferderal" agency, such as tax breaks, retirement and benefits managed by a federal plan.  The contributions though are made by USPS.  That's a big reason why they are in such a mess right now.

So, what of your earlier post that the USPS cannot pay its own future retirees' benefits? If a "company" cannot pay for its own liabilities, doesn't that make it bankrupt, particularly when the the government (i.e. taxpayers) is already covering its "shortfalls"? Doesn't that make it an outright lie to say that it is entirely self-funded by its own revenues?
2011-07-19 4:18 PM
in reply to: #3604556

User image

Extreme Veteran
Lockport, IL
Puppetmaster - 2011-07-19 3:53 PM

Sometimes when I have to go to a palce to do something.  I call ahead and ask if they have special hours.  It takes less time then starting a thread.

Joe

^^^ This.

2011-07-19 4:36 PM
in reply to: #3604599

User image

Pro
Parker, CO
scoobysdad - 2011-07-19 3:08 PM

So, what of your earlier post that the USPS cannot pay its own future retirees' benefits? If a "company" cannot pay for its own liabilities, doesn't that make it bankrupt, particularly when the the government (i.e. taxpayers) is already covering its "shortfalls"? Doesn't that make it an outright lie to say that it is entirely self-funded by its own revenues?

Currently the government is not helping USPS pay any of it's liabilities.  USPS is in financial trouble because they are funding future retirements for USPS employees (as well as other reasons that have been said here).  If they were a private corporation they would be looking at bankruptcy as they will never generate the revenue required to pay all those pensions, IMO.  So they could face it like a real company and restructure the retirements...think that will happen?  Or, at some point USPS will need our deficit burdened government to bail them out.  However, to date I am not aware of the fed assisting USPS with retirement and benefits other than managing the program (OPM).  Not a pretty picture...but I am quite certain that in the not too distant future the fed will bail them out.  Same as they did GM and the banks.

2011-07-19 5:15 PM
in reply to: #3603419

User image

Master
Portland, Oregon

scoobysdad - 2011-07-19 6:03 AM If you love the government approach to mail delivery, just wait 'til you get to try them for healthcare!

Yeah. Everyone gets to mail a letter for 44 cents. That should stop. Poor people shouldn't get to have mail service.

2011-07-19 5:22 PM
in reply to: #3604529

User image

Expert
Central Mass

Scout7 - 2011-07-19 1:45 PM I believe the State Department is actually in charge of passports. All the USPS does is shuttle the paperwork for them, and provides a level of assistance to you because they are more ubiquitous than Dept. of State offices.

Yes.  The USPS are just Passport "Acceptance Facilities".  Out of my 10 closest facilities, 9 are post offices and one is the city clerk's office.  All are within 11 miles.  Just outside of that is my county clerk.

http://iafdb.travel.state.gov/

The post office works on the exact same schedule as the clerk offices - all acceptance facilities work on the same schedules.  If you want real fast service, you've got to go to the state department: there are only 24 "regional acceptance agencies", and 3 are in California...

You've got to apply in person if it's your first time, or you are a minor.

2011-07-19 5:26 PM
in reply to: #3604734

User image

Champion
Menomonee Falls, WI
ell-in-or - 2011-07-19 5:15 PM

scoobysdad - 2011-07-19 6:03 AM If you love the government approach to mail delivery, just wait 'til you get to try them for healthcare!

Yeah. Everyone gets to mail a letter for 44 cents. That should stop. Poor people shouldn't get to have mail service.

Yeah, I'm an extremist, I know. I believe people should expect to pay for what it costs a company to provide a service. Heaven, forbid!
2011-07-19 6:31 PM

User image

Elite
Reno
Our mail carrier is great!   Still don't like going to the office for anything.
2011-07-19 9:14 PM

User image

Pro
Evanston,

Have to say, post office service is great here in OKC.  They recently closed the one closest to me, due to budget cuts.  There was usually a line there but the service was friendly and efficient.  Now I just use the downtown office.  There is rarely a line of more than a few minutes when I go, and the staff are more than just friendly - they are usually joking around with each other and having a good time.  And most of the people from my local post office got transferred down there anyway.

Lately I mostly use the Post Office to ship packages to friends serving in Afghanistan.  Sometimes packages for my family.  Heck, even the guy taking my last-minute State tax return was chipper, at 9:30pm!  (I had trouble using the e-file for my state return for some reason.)

Also... my mailman was VERY VERY nice about a recent incident I will not discuss on an internet forum.  'Nuff said.

Needed to throw in the minority view. 

2011-07-19 9:19 PM
in reply to: #3604759

User image

Pro
St Charles, IL
scoobysdad - 2011-07-19 5:26 PM

Yeah, I'm an extremist, I know. I believe people should expect to pay for what it costs a company to provide a service. Heaven, forbid!

Do you have insurance, or do you pay cash for all of your healthcare? 
2011-07-20 7:42 AM
in reply to: #3605102

User image

Pro
Parker, CO
CitySky - 2011-07-19 8:14 PM

Have to say, post office service is great here in OKC.  They recently closed the one closest to me, due to budget cuts.  There was usually a line there but the service was friendly and efficient.  Now I just use the downtown office.  There is rarely a line of more than a few minutes when I go, and the staff are more than just friendly - they are usually joking around with each other and having a good time.  And most of the people from my local post office got transferred down there anyway.

Lately I mostly use the Post Office to ship packages to friends serving in Afghanistan.  Sometimes packages for my family.  Heck, even the guy taking my last-minute State tax return was chipper, at 9:30pm!  (I had trouble using the e-file for my state return for some reason.)

Also... my mailman was VERY VERY nice about a recent incident I will not discuss on an internet forum.  'Nuff said.

Needed to throw in the minority view. 

Well, my experience with Oklahoma is that EVERYONE is friendly in OKC. 

2011-07-20 8:57 AM
in reply to: #3604650

User image

Champion
SRQ, FL
rayd - 2011-07-19 5:36 PM
scoobysdad - 2011-07-19 3:08 PM

Currently the government is not helping USPS pay any of it's liabilities.  USPS is in financial trouble because they are funding future retirements for USPS employees (as well as other reasons that have been said here).  If they were a private corporation they would be looking at bankruptcy as they will never generate the revenue required to pay all those pensions, IMO.  So they could face it like a real company and restructure the retirements...think that will happen?  Or, at some point USPS will need our deficit burdened government to bail them out.  However, to date I am not aware of the fed assisting USPS with retirement and benefits other than managing the program (OPM).  Not a pretty picture...but I am quite certain that in the not too distant future the fed will bail them out.  Same as they did GM and the banks.

Sort of... The USPS is allowed to borrow up top $15 billion from the gov't to keep operations afloat.  So far they have borrowed $10 billion and expect to borrow another $3 billion this year.  So is it a loan or a bailout... that depends on what happens when it's time to pay it back.

Also it was Congress who forced the USPS to fully fund it's retirement plan.  Private businesses are legally allowed to underfund their plans.  The USPS was forced to do something that most private corps would not do given the choice.

2011-07-20 10:39 AM

User image

Pro
Omaha, NE

just saw this article this morning.  Pretty relevant to this discussion.

Postmaster says days are numbered for Saturday mail delivery

http://www.usatoday.com/money/economy/2011-07-19-postmaster--mail-delivery_n.htm

2011-07-20 2:27 PM

User image

Resident Matriarch
N 43° 32.927 W 071° 24.431

I have a vested interest in this....being a retired letter carrier and all:  

http://www.businessweek.com/print/magazine/content/11_23/b4231060885070.htm

COVER STORY May 26, 2011, 5:00PM EST

The U.S. Postal Service Nears Collapse

Delivery of first-class mail is falling at a staggering rate. Facing insolvency, can the USPS reinvent itself like European services have—or will it implode?

2011-07-20 6:34 PM
in reply to: #3605518

User image

Pro
Evanston,
rayd - 2011-07-20 8:42 AM

Well, my experience with Oklahoma is that EVERYONE is friendly in OKC. 

A valid point.

2011-07-20 7:03 PM

User image

Buttercup

The people in my local post office are friendly and pretty quick. I don't mind going in there at all, not that I have to go there often.

My mailman was pretty nice, too. I have a new mailperson but haven't had much interaction with her.

By the way, the post office doesn't make the rules on what color background your photo should be. They could have said nothing and let you mail them in, knowing they would be rejected. The nerve of them, offering you unsolicited feedback.

2011-07-20 8:20 PM
in reply to: #3604079

User image

axteraa - 2011-07-19 10:21 AM NO, USPS can't go out of business!  We Canadians need it to ship our ebay purchases here because UPS and FedEx charge too much in brokerage fees!!

Don't know why you put that in sarc font it's true.

While I'm no fan of the Federal Govt. I've had great service from our local Post Office, the people at the counter are all friendly with me, give me great service and are fun to deal with. We ship a lot of items international and to date they have not lost one international item,,,,,, some have taken the long route to get to the destination or have taken a month or two to be returned to us but out of the thousands of items we've sent over the last 5 years 1, just one item did not or at least the customer said it did not get delivered even though the delivery confirmation said it did.

One thing I think that might make sense for delivery & pickup is for Business mail on Monday, Wednesday & Friday and Residential Mail on Tuesday, Thursday & Saturday.  For those who want/need daily delivery use a P.O. Box. 

One thing I do see and from what I understand it's a Union thing (go figure) is when they are swamped and there are two supervisors standing around and can't or won't operate a window to provide service and speed up the line.
2011-07-20 9:21 PM

User image

Champion
Eat Cheese or Die
The guys who handle the counter at my local PO are super friendly, and do their jobs. Yeah, sometimes there is a line, but I can't blame them for staff that isn't available. I have to mail my expense receipts back to our office. The $.44 I spent a week is far better then the time it would take me to scan my receipts and email them. If I was forced to use FedEx or UPS I'd end up wasting my time scanning receipts.

I also have found the the priority flat rate boxes are generally far cheaper then anything I could get from FedEx or UPS for similar sized boxes. If I can stay in the size restrictions, USPS is also generally cheaper for larger packages.

Between FedEx and UPS, FedEx wins hands down.
2011-07-21 8:38 AM

User image

Champion
Southern Chicago Suburbs, IL
Besides, if the USPS goes out of business, my friend, who is the mailman on the TV ads, will be out of work and he has a family to feed. 

Yes, I know him.  His name is Mike.  And he isn't acting in those ads.  THAT is just how he is.

Now, back to the true debate. Cool
2011-07-21 11:11 AM
in reply to: #3604759

User image

scoobysdad - 2011-07-19 3:26 PM

Why do you have to be such an anti socialist, come on get with the Change!!!  
New Thread
Other Resources My Cup of Joe » US Postal Service deserves to go out of business Rss Feed  

of 2