Midwest Sports Events
70'sF / 0C
Overcast
Total Time = 1h 42m 8s
Overall Rank = 43/325
Age Group = M50-54
Age Group Rank = 5/29
Pre-race routine:

Stayed at Americinn in Forest Lake for 2nd year with Barb and Scott. Za's for dinner on Sat. Honey Nut Cheerios at hotel. Banana pre-race. Left hotel @ 5:25.
Event warmup:

My knee had been feeling a little off while loading up but everything felt fine in pre race warm up. A little biking and practice with shoes. I was in wave 30 Barb in 32 with Brian Dawson. Long wait to get going. I think I set a record for amount of peeing in my wetsuit. We hung out together. Swam for a bit and then were able to see Scott come out of the water. Another short warm up and ready to go!
Swim
  • 10m 1s
  • 440 yards
  • 02m 17s / 100 yards
Comments:

Sprint swim is always long here. I had an excellent start, then got into some traffic. Ran into a few people who were really slow but overall an excellent swim and execution for me. Too bad the distnace is off and it doesn't accurately reflect my time. AG placement is about normal to above normal.
Transition 1
  • 01m 57s
Comments:

A little trouble with the disposable timing chip and wetsuit but real minor. I got into shoes on bike path since there was room. +22 sec from 1st in AG. Placement in TA is so random it can affect T1 & T2 significantly. 5th in AG, 56 among men.
Bike
  • 1h 07m 19s
  • 24.8 miles
  • 22.10 mile/hr
Comments:

As stated above distance was off. A good bike for me, passed a ton of people, only passed by one. Saw a few flats. First time doing sprint but they change the course every year anyway. This was a fast course and I felt I responded well. I did hold back just a touch towards the end hoping to stay strong on the run.
Transition 2
  • 01m 31s
Comments:

Another good transition, even so +24 off of 1st in AG and 7th in AG, 81st among men.
Run
  • 21m 18s
  • 3.11 miles
  • 06m 51s  min/mile
Comments:

Excellent run, my first sub 7:00 pace since knee surgery!! I had a little trouble early, my Garmin came off the strap and some passing issues just out of transition. I was able to get into a good pushing hard groove and maintain and even increase at the end, even with the hill up to finish line. Finally starting to feel like my run is close to pre-surgery.
Post race
Warm down:

Changed almost right way. Got some food with Josh. Saw Barb in TA as she was coming off bike. Got some pics at cormer of TA of Barb and Scott. More food with Barb after she finished. Took stuff back to car. Talked to TriRocherites, then waited to see Scott finish.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

I was very happy with my performance in this race. There's some fast guys in my AG, although I do not recognize most of the names that finished ahead of me here. I will be moving to new AG next year, and with my birthday on Jan 2 I am racing as one of the very oldest in my AG.

My transition times are not as good as in previous years. Early on I was cautious due to my knee but the knee has not been an issue. I need to get my transition edge back!

Event comments:

Always fun to race as a family, Scott went 5 min faster than at Liberty coming in with a cold, Barb enjoyed herself. Good to see so many TriRochester athletes and many with great results!

The overall rankings are men only at this race. I was beat by 3 women, so including females I was 46/639. I only throw this in because most races combine genders for overall results.

Last updated: 2011-07-25 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:10:01 | 440 yards | 02m 17s / 100yards
Age Group: 10/29
Overall: 104/325
Performance: Good
Suit: Desoto Balck Pearl
Course: Out and back, buoys to right
Start type: Wade Plus: Waves
Water temp: 0F / 0C Current: Low
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting:
Waves: Navigation: Good
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 01:57
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Yes Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Good
Biking
01:07:19 | 24.8 miles | 22.10 mile/hr
Age Group: 5/29
Overall: 42/325
Garmin showed bike distance at 24.86, definitely not the 22.6 the race report brought up. Official speed was 21.3. Garmin speed was 22.4 Avg HR 152, Max HR 164
Wind: Little
Course:
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence: 94
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills: Good
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 01:31
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes Good
Jumping off bike Good
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
00:21:18 | 03.11 miles | 06m 51s  min/mile
Age Group: 3/29
Overall: 42/325
1-7:14-158-164 2-6:52-167-171 3-6:49-171-177 Last bit was off due to shutoff issues.
Course: Out and back, mostly in the shade.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 5
Physical exertion [1-5] 5
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge
Organized? Yes
Events on-time?
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2011-07-25 10:30 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Rochester, MN
Subject: Chisago Lakes Sprint Triathlon

2011-07-25 11:23 AM
in reply to: #3613288

User image

Expert
Dodge County, MN (out in the corn)
Subject: RE: Chisago Lakes Sprint Triathlon
Great run, Mike! Glad the knee is co-operating.
2011-07-25 4:15 PM
in reply to: #3613437

User image

Champion
, Minnesota
Bronze member
Subject: RE: Chisago Lakes Sprint Triathlon
Great job, Mike!  Super run, I am glad the knee is behaving for you.  You are in a tough AG, better hope those other guys aren't also aging up
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Chisago Lakes Sprint Triathlon Rss Feed