The Denver Triathlon LLC
hotF / 0C
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 14m 40s
Overall Rank = 6/204
Age Group = M40-44
Age Group Rank = 1/11
Pre-race routine:

Woke up at 5:00am picked up Scott and headed to T2 to drop of my running shoes. Parked at Sara's house and rode down to T1.
Event warmup:

Swam a little before my wave started
Swim
  • 11m 26s
  • 800 meters
  • 01m 26s / 100 meters
Comments:

Water was nasty and dirty. I thought I was swimming in goose turd soup
What would you do differently?:

Nothing, I went all out and felt great!
Transition 1
  • 01m 17s
Comments:

Lost some time putting T1 stuff in my bag then dropping it into the box for transfer to finish.
Bike
  • 39m 47s
  • 15.26 miles
  • 23.01 mile/hr
Transition 2
  • 00m 53s
Run
  • 21m 20s
  • 3.1 miles
  • 06m 53s  min/mile
What would you do differently?:

Push harder, this was a sprint.
Post race
What limited your ability to perform faster:

Riding an additional mile on the bike because I missed the turn

Event comments:

I've had a busy and stressful year. Working two jobs, spending 8 months trying to close on the purchase of a short sale house (Done!) and training for an Ironman. Not to mention spending quality time with my family. Let's just say I haven't been sleeping all that much. So while physically ready for this race, I might have been mentally drained and lacking the drive to win. The night before the race, I decided I was going to put it all out there. I would push myself as hard as I could and would not save anything for the end. No fear. I needed a mental boost before Boulder 70.3 and this race would be it.

SWIM:
Fast forward to race morning. Lined up in the water, to the far right. All the way in front. When we were given the go, I dove in and swam as hard as I could. I didn't worry if my arms were going to limp on me, I was letting it all hang out. To my surprise, I had only a couple of guys near me and ended up first out of the water in my age group. So far so good.
T1:

T1 went by fast, especially since I didn't have to strip off a wetsuit. just had to pack my towel into my T1 bag for the valet to take bak to the finish.

Bike:
Mounted the bike and took off hard. No time to adjust to going from horizontal to vertical. I just pedaled damn it. I figured if I could just ride hard all the way up to the turn around just east of Simms, then I could use my mass to my advantage and scream down to the 8th ave viaduct. I got to the turn around and was parched. Turned around with an avg mph of about 20.5. Drank a bit of infinite and pushed hard towards the next turnaround which would be at mile 12. Hit this turn around averaging 23.5 mph. I had no one in front of me at this point and I was all alone. I think this is where my confusion set in. I usually am behind someone and just follow them into T2, but not this time. Plus I had a guy on a motorbike following me. I though he was an official and I kept thinking "did I do something wrong, is he going to give me a penalty?" I also was red-lining it and forgot about where I was and ended up passing right by the bike finish and rode back up the hill towards Sloans lake, I totally passed the turn off! and didn't realize it till I was almost .75 miles away. When I realized what I had done, I panicked and turn around as fast as I could. Got down to the turn off and the volunteer was trying to direct me back out to the the turn around that I had already done, after taking valuable time to explain what i had done, he let me by to T2. I was mad at myself for not paying attention and just pissed off for pissing away 2.5 minutes of valuable lead time.
T2:
At this point I figured I could either let it get the best of me or just forget about it and run as hard as I could.
Run:
The run started with a slight uphill then out towards Elitches. I was only passed by 3 guys who I tried to stay with but just couldn't stay with for long. I was giving it everything I had. Not much to say about the run, it was over fast and I gave it everything I had.
I spent all last night looking at my garmin and calculating what might have happened if I'd not missed the turnoff, That 2.5 minutes would have gotten me about a 1:12:20. Good enough for 2nd overall according to the results, but not guaranteed if there were a foot race with the 2nd place guy. Next time I will pay closer attention.

All things considered, I am very happy to win my division. Oh and my Team: Z-Team took first in the Tri Club Challenge, so we have lots of swag.

Last updated: 2011-07-12 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:11:26 | 800 meters | 01m 26s / 100meters
Age Group: 1/11
Overall: 5/204
Performance: Good
Suit: none
Course: Rectangular course with a clockwise swim
Start type: Wade Plus:
Water temp: 80F / 27C Current: Low
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting: Bad
Waves: Good Navigation: Good
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 01:17
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike:
Jump on bike:
Getting up to speed:
Biking
00:39:47 | 15.26 miles | 23.01 mile/hr
Age Group: 0/11
Overall: 0/204
Performance:
Wind: None
Course:
Road: Potholes Dry Cadence: 80
Turns: Average Cornering: Average
Gear changes: Hills: Good
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Not enough
T2
Time: 00:53
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes Bad
Jumping off bike Bad
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
00:21:20 | 03.1 miles | 06m 53s  min/mile
Age Group: 3/11
Overall: 20/204
Course:
Keeping cool Drinking
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Below average
Mental exertion [1-5]
Physical exertion [1-5]
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge
Organized?
Events on-time?
Lots of volunteers?
Plenty of drinks?
Post race activities:
Race evaluation [1-5]

{postbutton}
2011-07-26 12:03 AM

User image

Veteran
Parker, CO
Subject: Denver Triathlon - Sprint Course

2011-07-26 10:28 AM
in reply to: #3614641

User image

Master
Straight outta Compton
Subject: RE: Denver Triathlon - Sprint Course
Holy cow, Joe- you are wicked fast!  Congratulations~ absolutely amazing effort.
2011-07-26 2:28 PM
in reply to: #3615149

User image

Veteran
Parker, CO

mcgilmartin - 2011-07-26 9:28 AM Holy cow, Joe- you are wicked fast!  Congratulations~ absolutely amazing effort.

Thanks!

2011-07-26 6:10 PM

User image

Pro
Parker, CO
Great race for you Joe!  Nice job leaving it all out there.  Congrats on 1st in AG and 6 overall finish...awesome!
2011-07-26 11:14 PM
in reply to: #3616013

User image

Veteran
Parker, CO

rayd - 2011-07-26 5:10 PM Great race for you Joe!  Nice job leaving it all out there.  Congrats on 1st in AG and 6 overall finish...awesome!

Thanks Ray!

2011-07-29 10:59 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Highlands Ranch, Colorado
Yea that was an amazing effort!  Too bad about the bike but I don't think you should have to pre-ride/drive a course to insure not getting lost.  I've had a few races now that this has happened and it is so frustrating!  The comment about the water quality is telling...

2011-07-29 6:14 PM

User image

Official BT Coach
Englewood, CO
Well Done Joe.  You must have laid it all out there to finish first in a tough agegroup.  Keep IM training going!
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Denver Triathlon - Sprint Course Rss Feed