World Wide Cycling Sport
89F / 32C
Sunny
Total Time = 00m
Overall Rank = DNF/155
Age Group = cat 4
Age Group Rank = 0/
Pre-race routine:

i knew going into this race that i had no fitness for this. i stopped working out after my last race in May and then broke my TT so it was totally about fun. only rode 1 week prior.

i didn't sleep well, woke up at 3, then 4 then 6. finally it was time to get up and the race is literally 10 min away from my door step.
Event warmup:

Rode from my house to the race and stretched.

Bike
  • 00m
  • 80 miles
  • 0.00 mile/hr
Comments:

DNF 54 mi @ 2:11

this was my first road race and i had no idea what to expect. everyone told me to stay up the front and just hold position. that is much harder then i thought. the pace up front was above 28mph the entire time.

after 30 miles my watch had an average of 25.9 mph. everything was going well. i was in the middle of the pack on the outside, but the race was starting, the 2 strong teams were making a push and launching their guys trying to escape the peleton.

at mile 40 we slowed down to about 25 and kept it there for 3-4 miles since there was a u-turn comming up. as soon as we turned around, the pace picked up. i ended up on the outside without any wheels in front. the pace picked up and wind began blasting us.

my hr just shot up. i managed to keep the pace for 6 miles. but the peleton was breaking up and 2 guys next to me launched to catch the 30 riders that were moving ahead. 1 of them caught loose gravel needless to say you can imgine what happend next....he had a severe crash and landed and broke his shoulder the 2nd guy following went over the handle bars and i went into the grass and slid. by the time we all got up the peleton was long gone.

this is about mile 49. i went on the bike and a car was nice enough to let me draft. but after 3 miles with 0 water, nobody else, there was a sag wagon comming i climbed in and rode home.

got home just in time to watch the finisher cross the line.

i jumped on the bike
What would you do differently?:

definitely need to ride much much more. probably every day and do some hard HARD intervals. way above FTP

good news this was my first race, there will be more crits and this was a good experience. saw alot of crashes and idiocy....
Post race
Warm down:

went home, jumped into the pool which didn't cool me off at all and had breakfast.

Event comments:

hard to grade a cycling race as this is the first one.

Last updated: 2011-07-28 12:00 AM
Biking
00:00:00 | 80 miles | 0.00 mile/hr
Age Group: 0/
Overall: 0/155
Performance: Below average
Wind: Some
Course:
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Average Cornering: Below average
Gear changes: Good Hills:
Race pace: Too hard Drinks: Not enough
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5]
Physical exertion [1-5]
Good race?
Evaluation
Course challenge Too hard
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2011-07-31 11:34 AM

User image

Elite
Miami
Subject: Vuelta a Miami

2011-08-02 6:24 PM
in reply to: #3622409

User image

Master
Westlake Village , Ca.
Subject: RE: Vuelta a Miami

That sounds really really hard...lol. Great job for trying...will you give another one a try?

2011-08-03 9:09 AM

User image

Master
Guilford, CT
Subject: RE: Vuelta a Miami
sorry about the dnf but it sounds exciting!  I want to bike race reading that!
2011-08-03 7:00 PM

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Vuelta a Miami Rss Feed