General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Sprint to Ironman in 1 year? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 2

2011-08-07 9:45 PM
in reply to: #3627050

User image

Expert
Northern CA
Subject: RE: Sprint to Ironman in 1 year?

I think you guys are confusing correlation with causation. My experience with message boards (which pre-dates the internet) is that most people join, are active for a while and then fall off. This is also true of people who pursue hobbies. It doesn't matter what the subject matter is or who does and doesn't do an IM. It's the nature of the beast. People lose interesting over time. In everything.

I know a lot of people who did an IM either as their first tri or within 18 months of doing their first tri. Some of them are sorry, many are not. Some have dropped out of triathlon but some of those are doing other endurance sports. Some never intended it to be more than a bucket list thing. Some decided afterwards that it was too much of a time commitment to train for one even though they went into it thinking they'd do them for a long time.

These discussions are reminding me of discussions on parenting boards about how far apart to space your kids. Everyone vigorously defends their ideal spacing as "the best" but the reality is, there is no best spacing. It's the same with racing. There is no idea pace for when to progress up the distances. It's going to depend on the individual -- where they are starting from, how much time they have to train, how much they enjoy the training, how much they enjoy the various distances, how fast they progress, etc. There is no one-size-fits-all model for when is the best time to do an IM.

IMO there is only one rule for deciding if you want to do one: you have to really want to do it because the training is a commitment. If you really want it and you have a reasonable expectation that you can build up to the distances in the time allotted and finish before the cutoffs, then I say: Go for it!

2011-08-08 6:15 AM
in reply to: #3633218

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.
2011-08-08 6:23 AM
in reply to: #3633218

Champion
Montague Gold Mines, Nova Scotia
MacMadame - 2011-08-07 11:45 PM

I think you guys are confusing correlation with causation. My experience with message boards (which pre-dates the internet) is that most people join, are active for a while and then fall off. This is also true of people who pursue hobbies. It doesn't matter what the subject matter is or who does and doesn't do an IM. It's the nature of the beast. People lose interesting over time. In everything.

I'm pretty sure that's not happening here with the majority of posters who are suggesting a slower build to IM. While they are lots of anecdotes that can be shared regarding this worked/didn't work when it comes to when to do an IM, there is research that shows a more moderate approach to building distance in endurance events is likely to see an athlete involved in the sport for a longer period of time.

I know a lot of people who did an IM either as their first tri or within 18 months of doing their first tri. Some of them are sorry, many are not. Some have dropped out of triathlon but some of those are doing other endurance sports. Some never intended it to be more than a bucket list thing. Some decided afterwards that it was too much of a time commitment to train for one even though they went into it thinking they'd do them for a long time.

I don't encourage a slower build because I think everyone will burn out or get injured, but that a higher percentage will burn out or get injured than if they waited a few more seasons (with consistent training) before taking on an IM.

These discussions are reminding me of discussions on parenting boards about how far apart to space your kids. Everyone vigorously defends their ideal spacing as "the best" but the reality is, there is no best spacing. It's the same with racing. There is no idea pace for when to progress up the distances. It's going to depend on the individual -- where they are starting from, how much time they have to train, how much they enjoy the training, how much they enjoy the various distances, how fast they progress, etc. There is no one-size-fits-all model for when is the best time to do an IM.

It is individual and as I said, many people can handle the schedule that the OP proposed. However, to the time and enjoyment of training points, there is no reason that someone who wants to train more cannot add more training while completing some shorter distance events. As for enjoying the distances, I would argue that many triathletes never give short course events a real chance as they have their eye on the IM right from the beginning. Instead of taking a couple of years with sprints and olys as their focus, they do these as preparation races for longer events and never find out if they might enjoy the distance or not.

IMO there is only one rule for deciding if you want to do one: you have to really want to do it because the training is a commitment. If you really want it and you have a reasonable expectation that you can build up to the distances in the time allotted and finish before the cutoffs, then I say: Go for it!

To this I would say that is reasonable, but for someone new to endurance sports, I would argue that they may not fully understand the time commitment, recovery cost, family cost and whether or not they can safely build up the volume to get to that level. More experience in endurance sports will give athletes a greater appreciation of what is involved with training for an IM.

The best advice I ever recieved when it comes to triathlon was from Mike Ricci who, when I was considering jumping into an IM at the end of my first season of training, told me there was no rush and that the IM wasn't going anywhere.

Shane
2011-08-08 7:09 AM

Stamford

Wow!! A lot of great comments/feedback here!  Thanks to everyone that replied with their .02.  I have made my decision and am sticking to it.  Although I really want to be part of the 1st NYC Ironman, I decided that I would be missing out on what I am really enjoying about the endurance genre of sports, that build up to accomplishments.  I want to take my time and compete in a few half marathons, marathons, open water swims etc. IN ADDITION to all the different levels of multisport events (Olymps, 70.3s).

I know myself, and I do know it's "possible" as I love training and seem to pick things up easily but I would hate and have a big regret if my rushing to do this specific Ironman event put a bad taste in my mouth for the sport.

Looks like I will be shooting for 2014 at this point, and will just plan on Volunteering at NYC Ironman for 2012, 2013!

Once again thanks to everyone who replied, I appreciate the different opinions and the support that you guys provided!!

2011-08-09 4:00 AM
in reply to: #3633375

Expert
Northern CA

Fred Doucette - 2011-08-08 4:15 AM 

Some of us actually see the multi-sport lifetsyle as more than just a 'message board' thing.

Which is why I said "This is also true of people who pursue hobbies." Most people don't turn into "lifers" no matter what the hobby is.

gsmacleod - 2011-08-08 4:23 AM

I'm pretty sure that's not happening here with the majority of posters who are suggesting a slower build to IM.

I was specifically responding to a few posters who were definitely in the minority. I guess I should have been clearer on that. Sorry.

As for enjoying the distances, I would argue that many triathletes never give short course events a real chance as they have their eye on the IM right from the beginning. Instead of taking a couple of years with sprints and olys as their focus, they do these as preparation races for longer events and never find out if they might enjoy the distance or not.

But some people know themselves and what is right for them. Do you really think Chrissie Wellington should have spent a few years mastering Sprints and Olys before moving up to 70.3 and IM? Not to mention, if we do the shorter races as prep races, we are doing them. So it's not like we don't know what they are like.

I really don't have any issue with people who want to make a steady progression from Sprints up through to IMs or who only want to do short course for their entire career. But I also have no issue with people who only want to do long course or who want to jump in with a longer distance for their first race. We are doing this for fun, not as a job, so we need to do what floats our personal boats.

Ironically, when I first started, I declared I would NEVER do an IM as that was just crazy. But somewhere along the way I realized that 70.3 and above were "my" distances and I figured it out pretty fast. Sprints can be fun too. I enjoy going balls-to-the-walls for an hour and then being done. But I don't have to train very much to do that. OTOH, I just love training for one IM a year and doing as many HIMs as I can fit in around it.

The OP should do what makes sense to them. (And is sounds like they are.) I just think there are lots of paths that make sense so I object to advice that says "I regretted it so you shouldn't do it" or "it's always better to wait".

2011-08-09 5:09 AM
in reply to: #3633427

2011-08-09 7:25 AM
in reply to: #3635239

Champion
MacMadame - 2011-08-09 6:00 AM

But some people know themselves and what is right for them. Do you really think Chrissie Wellington should have spent a few years mastering Sprints and Olys before moving up to 70.3 and IM?

You mean like winning ITU AG Worlds (oly distance) in 2006?

Not to mention, if we do the shorter races as prep races, we are doing them. So it's not like we don't know what they are like.

It is not a matter of not knowing what they are like, but a smart progression through training, which for most would come with a progression through distance in racing.

I really don't have any issue with people who want to make a steady progression from Sprints up through to IMs or who only want to do short course for their entire career. But I also have no issue with people who only want to do long course or who want to jump in with a longer distance for their first race. We are doing this for fun, not as a job, so we need to do what floats our personal boats.

I have no issue with it; my concern is the number of athletes who jump into long distance events early in their "career" and end up burnt out or injured because they try to do too much too soon.

Ironically, when I first started, I declared I would NEVER do an IM as that was just crazy. But somewhere along the way I realized that 70.3 and above were "my" distances and I figured it out pretty fast. Sprints can be fun too. I enjoy going balls-to-the-walls for an hour and then being done. But I don't have to train very much to do that.

However, if one wants to train lots of sprints and olys, it is possible to put in as much or more training into these events as for an IM. When I was seriously training for oly distance events, I was regularly putting in 14-16 hours per week which is more than many IM athletes will do (despite what WTC will tell people).

OTOH, I just love training for one IM a year and doing as many HIMs as I can fit in around it.

The OP should do what makes sense to them. (And is sounds like they are.) I just think there are lots of paths that make sense so I object to advice that says "I regretted it so you shouldn't do it" or "it's always better to wait".

For me it's not about regret but as I stated before, a logical training progression that allows an athlete to reach the start line well trained and injury free. There are many athletes who can do this in one season but, in general, a more gradual build will be the most appropriate way to build training and racing distances.

Shane
2011-08-11 6:36 PM

Expert
Northern CA
Well, if you are going to hold up Chrissie as someone who made an orderly progression through the various distances, I don't think there is any point to continuing this discussion... particular as Chrissie was one of the people who encouraged me to sign up for my first IM and told me not to listen to people like you. LOL
2011-08-11 6:47 PM
in reply to: #3640125

Edited by Fred Doucette 2011-08-11 6:51 PM
2011-08-11 6:47 PM

I'll chime in, what the hell.  Did my first sprint in 2005.  Did the typical sprints first year, sprints + Oly second year, add in 2 HIMs next year, then HIMs and IM 4th year in 2008.  Honestly, if I hadn't gotten sick in 2009, and had to dial my training and expectations way back, not sure where I would have gone.

Started back last year with a couple swim events and a sprint.  This year took on the HIM again, but then limited it to sprints, swims, aquathons.  All sorts of different races that I sort of lost focus on as I concentrated solely on the IM distance.  Will I ever do an IM again?  Maybe, but I am sure having fun just being able to train and do a few races. 

I have come to believe that if I hadn't gotten sick I might have been out of the sport. Dialing it back, getting a fresh perspective and being able to enjoy the shorter distances has been great for me.

IM is a very serious and considerable obligation to undertake.  It's a great feeling to finish one, but honestly I enjoy the shorter training more.

All that is to say sure, you can probably do it no problem.  Looking back, I am glad I didn't do it that way, I have really enjoyed the journey of self discovery (OK, that's just starting to sound a little woo woo and weird) of training up various distances.  But each of us is different and have different goals and demands. You just need to find out what yours truly are.

2011-08-11 7:07 PM
in reply to: #3640125

Champion
MacMadame - 2011-08-11 8:36 PM

Well, if you are going to hold up Chrissie as someone who made an orderly progression through the various distances, I don't think there is any point to continuing this discussion... particular as Chrissie was one of the people who encouraged me to sign up for my first IM and told me not to listen to people like you. LOL

Two points and I'm done:

1) Chrissie did make a progression through the distances and did not jump into IM in her first, or second year of training (I believe it was year 4 but I am not inclined to Google it right now);

2) I rarely look to elite athletes for training and racing advice; typically they are really good at going fast but not so good when it comes to coaching/advice/understanding physiology

Shane

2011-08-12 6:00 AM

Pro
Wallingford, PA
Nobody is saying that there is a singular "correct" approach... I tend to be in the "take your time" camp. I think that approach has served me well. Over the course of several seasons I have been able to build fitness, figure out nutritional strategies that work for longer training and racing, learn to clue into my body's signals - when I can push, when I need to back off, etc. I feel like I now have the knowledge and fitness to train reasonably well for the IM distance, and, I hope, avoid situations like this:

MacMadame - 2011-08-05 2:28 PM

First, during my first season, I started out training for Sprints and Olympics and was doing fine but when I signed up for a HIM, I started to overtrain. I didn't think I was overtraining because I was putting in a lot less hours than what my high-volume friends put in. But overtraining isn't putting over 20 hours a week. It's putting in more hours at a greater intensity than your body can take. I ended up tearing a calf muscle and it's taken FOREVER to heal especially as the first tear led to a second tear so even though the first tear is healed, scar tissue from the second one still bugs me when I run.

Second, while I showed up at IMAZ being able to complete the event, because I didn't have the base that a lot of IM athletes have, I found the extreme conditions there... to take a lot more out of me than it did more conditioned athletes. I was able to finish, but it was brutal and more of a mental victory than a physical one as I didn't make a single one of my time goals and constantly flirting with the cutoffs was stressful.

Does that mean nobody should ever train for IM early in their triathlon career? Well, no - it's not up to me to decide what's best for anybody else.... If someone wants to go for it, they are more than welcome. Lots of people do. I just happen to think it's wiser to take the time and build up to the distance. But nobody is obligated to consider my opinion in making a decision about what triathlon they should sign up for....
2011-08-12 3:18 PM
in reply to: #3640477

Expert
Northern CA

jsnowash - 2011-08-12 4:00 AM But nobody is obligated to consider my opinion in making a decision about what triathlon they should sign up for....

Or mine either. Wink

2011-08-15 2:55 PM

Expert
Vancouver (not Canada) Washington (not D.C.)
Great debate and I'm surprised how personal it has gotten.

For me, it seems like watching a train wreck in slow motion when people focus too soon on IM distance. Every person is different but in general (especially for older athletes - read mid-life crisis) it takes some time for the body to make the needed changes to handle the volume and intensity of training required for IM.

I've seen people senselessly sidelined due to injuries which I think could have been avoided by taking the time to build slowly. Know their equipment and how to use it based on research and experience. Have realistic pacing, nutrition, and expectations based experience racing and training over time.

I think the hardest part of IM isn't the race itself but getting to the start semi-healthy.

So when the question is asked, should I go from a 1 hour race to 13 hour race in 1 year, my answer is no, you shouldn't. Can you, yes but you are rolling the dice with your body if the time-line is short or you are trying to race at speeds you haven't trained adequately for.

2011-08-15 3:28 PM
in reply to: #3644485

Veteran
Boston

This is going to be one of those posts that is 100% opinion-based.

I went from Sprint to IM in one year.  I could barely make the swim and had to walk most of the 5K in the Sprint - but was able to get a respectable time in the swim for the IM (though had to walk more than planned).  If I had more of a running background I would have done great, and all injury free.  Just train smart and listen to your body.  I've also spoken to quite a few IM first-timers, one of whom finished IMLP in just over 11 hours.  Injury free.  It is absolutely possible.  While I agree that ramping up too much too fast may put you prone to injury, there are SOOOO many variables involved that it is impossible to gather without knowing your fitness background, health, and capacity for training.  If it is in the budget a good coach would be your best bet to tailor a plan to get you there safely and well prepared.

Make up your own mind on this rather than ask others what you should and shoudn't do.  I think sometimes listening to other people is what holds us back in life.  If you think you can do it, YES.  Have any doubts?  Build to it.

And I don't believe AT ALL that ramping up too fast and striving for that IM is what causes burnout in the sport.  You can't correlate forum participation with race participation.  I'm post on Harley forums sometimes.  I'll be active for a month or two, then maybe not for a year or more.  I get forum burn-out.  Does that mean I sold my bike?  Nope.  I'm sure those who have been here for 5+ years are absolutely actively engaged, but I also know people on this forum who were here 5+ years ago, still race (and even KQ), and haven't posted since they started since they have focused elsewhere.

If anything, my IM race was a HUGE learning experience and made me love and appreciate this sport and want to excel at all distances now.  Make up your own mind on this one.

2011-08-16 1:06 PM

2011-08-16 1:23 PM

Champion
Fountain Hills, AZ
See, this is what happens when you have an easy 17 hour cut off time.... (runs, ducks for cover
2011-08-16 1:25 PM
in reply to: #3646006

Veteran
Boston

bryancd - 2011-08-16 2:23 PM See, this is what happens when you have an easy 17 hour cut off time.... (runs, ducks for cover

Lol!!!  That was a great sucker punch and bolt!

2011-08-16 4:44 PM
in reply to: #3644564

Edited by Fred Doucette 2011-08-16 4:49 PM
2011-08-16 5:10 PM
in reply to: #3646321

Veteran
Boston
Fred Doucette - 2011-08-16 5:44 PM
mogulbumm - 2011-08-15 4:28 PM

This is going to be one of those posts that is 100% opinion-based.

I went from Sprint to IM in one year.  I could barely make the swim and had to walk most of the 5K in the Sprint - but was able to get a respectable time in the swim for the IM (though had to walk more than planned).  If I had more of a running background I would have done great, and all injury free.  Just train smart and listen to your body.  I've also spoken to quite a few IM first-timers, one of whom finished IMLP in just over 11 hours.  Injury free.  It is absolutely possible.  While I agree that ramping up too much too fast may put you prone to injury, there are SOOOO many variables involved that it is impossible to gather without knowing your fitness background, health, and capacity for training.  If it is in the budget a good coach would be your best bet to tailor a plan to get you there safely and well prepared.

Make up your own mind on this rather than ask others what you should and shoudn't do.  I think sometimes listening to other people is what holds us back in life.  If you think you can do it, YES.  Have any doubts?  Build to it.

And I don't believe AT ALL that ramping up too fast and striving for that IM is what causes burnout in the sport.  You can't correlate forum participation with race participation.  I'm post on Harley forums sometimes.  I'll be active for a month or two, then maybe not for a year or more.  I get forum burn-out.  Does that mean I sold my bike?  Nope.  I'm sure those who have been here for 5+ years are absolutely actively engaged, but I also know people on this forum who were here 5+ years ago, still race (and even KQ), and haven't posted since they started since they have focused elsewhere.

If anything, my IM race was a HUGE learning experience and made me love and appreciate this sport and want to excel at all distances now.  Make up your own mind on this one.

Yeah I should have clarified my statements. In my local tri community I have seen people burn out of the sport (non-forum people) much faster when they took on distance events too quickly.

Actually that concern was levelled at me as well by some of my friends, but I have been a relative exception as I have continued with the sport long-term.

Again, do what works for you. I will continue to answer these threads in a similar line myself, but there are always exceptions.

There is also nothing wrong with doing tri's for a few years and then moving on to something else in life. My goals are somewhat different.... I want to keep doing tri's for 10-20 more years. I fully understand that is not everyone's goal.

ETA yeah it is opinion based, but isn't almost everything on this site?

Absolutely, and nothing wrong with opinions since ultimately you can do what you want!  Plus, I hope you keep posting Fred since you always manage to walk the line properly and not come off as judgmental, and that is a tough thing to do, so I've found value in your posts.

I'm in it for the long term.  I'd like to KQ one day.  I was hoping to just outlive the competition, but I'll be darned if the older people aren't getting faster and more in shape!  Did a local Tri this weekend (Sprint) and the 45-49 group I believe was faster than the 40-44 group.

Hmm.... need a new plan...

2011-08-16 6:13 PM

Master
, California

cbrave - 2011-08-15 12:55 PM Great debate and I'm surprised how personal it has gotten. For me, it seems like watching a train wreck in slow motion when people focus too soon on IM distance. Every person is different but in general (especially for older athletes - read mid-life crisis) it takes some time for the body to make the needed changes to handle the volume and intensity of training required for IM. I've seen people senselessly sidelined due to injuries which I think could have been avoided by taking the time to build slowly. Know their equipment and how to use it based on research and experience. Have realistic pacing, nutrition, and expectations based experience racing and training over time. I think the hardest part of IM isn't the race itself but getting to the start semi-healthy. So when the question is asked, should I go from a 1 hour race to 13 hour race in 1 year, my answer is no, you shouldn't. Can you, yes but you are rolling the dice with your body if the time-line is short or you are trying to race at speeds you haven't trained adequately for.

I did a sprint July 2009, marathon Dec 2009, Ironman June 2010 (14:10).

My disclaimer is that I had a background in all 3 sports, separately.  In recent years I had only been doing moderate jogging.  Nothing over a 12k.

Personally I think the endurance training actually helped me stay safe.  Workouts with a focus on consistency as opposed to, say, the weekly high-octane soccer game with kids 10 years my junior.  I found the IM buildup to be very helpful in avoiding injury and improving my overall fitness.

I'd also say my IM buildup was far less hours of training than many others.  I knew how hard I could push myself and knew what my work and personal life would allow.  I think it's important to settle those things with yourself before you decide to commit or not.  I took the same approach for this year and cut my time down to a 12:55.

If you aim for steady improvement and don't try to cram 5 years of training into one year, then trust your instincts and see what you can achieve.

2011-08-16 6:35 PM
in reply to: #3645958

Expert
Vancouver (not Canada) Washington (not D.C.)
Fred Doucette - 2011-08-16 11:06 AM

cbrave - 2011-08-15 3:55 PM Great debate and I'm surprised how personal it has gotten.

I'm not surprised at all. This question gets asked quite frequently on this forum and usually turns reasonably ugly. Do what you want (I really don't care) but I believe that the OP was looking for some insights into the issue and got some varied responses.

Sort of situation normal if you ask me.

Fred...what I found interesting about this discussion is that the OP asked and like you said, got varied answers. I guess I was surprised how people who have done these macro jumps in distance seem to be threatened by the idea that while it is possible, it may not be the best method.

I also agree that it depends on the person, their athletic history, injuries and time. However, I still think that in general, taking time to learn the sport, equipment, how your body handles volume and intensity and your emotions takes time and gearing up too quickly can be problematic.

2011-08-16 9:11 PM

Champion
Fountain Hills, AZ
Just because you can do a thing doesn't mean you should.
2011-08-16 9:17 PM
in reply to: #3646450

nm

Edited by ChrisM 2011-08-16 9:18 PM
2011-08-17 2:41 PM
in reply to: #3646450

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Sprint to Ironman in 1 year? Rss Feed  

of 2