Lake Geneva Extreme Sports
80F / 27C
Sunny
Total Time = 2h 35m 44s
Overall Rank = 143/420
Age Group = m30-34
Age Group Rank = 18/41
Pre-race routine:

Stayed at hotel with family. Thank god slept in seperate room. My kids were bouncing of the wall all night. Got to be around 9:30-10. 3:15-bagel and cliff bar. Woke up 4:15..snoozed twice. Walked bike and things to transition area around 5:15. Note--bring halogen flashlight. All around me people were using cell phones/blackberries for light.
Event warmup:

Swam a little before the race...but wanted to make sure i saw the kids before the start. Didnt know how often id get to see them during the race.
Swim
  • 14m 21s
  • 1448 meters
  • 59s / 100 meters
Comments:

ok-whose idea is it to take 2 small white bouys that barely make it above the water and make that the turnaround. Very difficult to sight..
Also difficult to sight on the way back were to target for entering the beach. And the course had to have been short...no complaints there...but the time just aint right.
What would you do differently?:

warm up more if possible.
Transition 1
  • 03m 23s
Comments:

i thought i was slower in transition. Saw the kids as i was getting out of the water and made sure i waved and hollered back at them. Probably had a little more to give in the swim. Mostly had trouble getting socks on more than anything else.

Practice drying my feet? You would think that its not so hard.
Bike
  • 1h 20m 47s
  • 25 miles
  • 18.57 mile/hr
Comments:

This was the most interesting part of the race. Took a while for legs to loosen up. Initially right glut was killing me. My goal was 18mph. The rolling hills were annoying at first...my sportdrink was way to sweet and warm...and i was wishing i had more water. Was getting passed a bit early on....Then about half way...felt much better...started building things a bit. Took a gel just before the hr mark...and then kicked it in.. I was on top of the fricking world for about 20 minutes. My pace before that was about 17. Last 20 minutes, must have been flying since i finished at 18.5. Got hung up behind a car for a while that couldnt get around a bike in front. It was a good confidence boost before the run which i have been dreading ever since hearing about the damm hill!

Figure out a way to get into the zone a little earlier.
Transition 2
  • 01m 29s
Comments:

Saw the kids again into the transition. Also on the way out. Called out to them. Things went ok here. Took some water...wished i had taken more.
Run
  • 55m 46s
  • 6.2 miles
  • 08m 59s  min/mile
Comments:

This is the part i was most proud of. I cant believe i ran under 9min avg! Having never run before really april of this year it was awesome!!! I mean the hill sucked and sapped everything out of me..but I ran the fricking thing...all of it. I tried to pick up my pace at what i thought was the 3.5 mile mark, but all the "little" rolling hills just took everything out of me. Coming into the finish, my son was waiting and he ran with me through the finish line. Not sure how much of a no-no that was but i dont care. That moment will be with me forever.

Next year, bring water on the run. The aid stations seemed paced for apart and they were not always ready with water.
Post race
Warm down:

grabbed some h2o, sweated all over the kids. Hit the porta pottie...ate some bagels and fruit.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Drying feet..a hill named Frank, and a chevy pick up truck that blocked me for 1/2 a mile.

Event comments:

Only my second race and first olympic...but...compared to harborlights...less volunteers, less water, seemed less organized. Post race food for like a gazillion people was limited to one picnic table in a gazebo with a long line. But regardless...phenomenal weekened!! I achieved my goal of under 3hrs...the course was actually beautiful (esp the bike), able to enjoy the tri and see and wave and scream back at the kids....and the weekend at the abbey went great. Kids had a blast in the pool!

Last updated: 2005-09-11 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:14:21 | 1448 meters | 59s / 100meters
Age Group: 8/41
Overall: 0/420
Performance: Good
Suit: quick john
Course: straight out and back
Start type: Wade Plus:
Water temp: 74F / 23C Current: Low
200M Perf. Average Remainder: Below average
Breathing: Good Drafting:
Waves: Navigation: Below average
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 03:23
Performance: Below average
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
No
Wetsuit stuck? Yes Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Average
Biking
01:20:47 | 25 miles | 18.57 mile/hr
Age Group: 23/41
Wind: Some with gusts
Course: back rouds of lake geneva
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence: 90
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills: Average
Race pace: Drinks: Not enough
T2
Time: 01:29
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike Average
Racking bike Average
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
00:55:46 | 06.2 miles | 08m 59s  min/mile
Age Group: 23/41
Course: Big hill followed by BIGGER hill, followed by intermittent water stops.
Keeping cool Average Drinking Not enough
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? No
Plenty of drinks? No
Post race activities: Below average
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2005-09-11 1:42 PM

User image

Veteran
Chicago and therabouts
Subject: Lake Geneva Triathlon

2005-09-11 2:32 PM
in reply to: #244106

User image

Veteran
Milwaukee
Subject: RE: Lake Geneva Triathlon
Great job and especially on running Frank! It was a tough course. Congrats on having your first Oly under your belt!
2005-09-11 2:49 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Racine WI
Great race! You sure did pick a dosey for your first OLY, but congrats on the successful completion. Its awesome that you were able to complete it with your son by your side. I don't think its frowned on too much because every race I see at least one or two proud parents crossing with their children and the announcers and crowd seem to love it. Good race report too.
2005-09-11 7:30 PM

User image

Expert
Westchester County NY
Congratulations! What an excellent swim you had.  You've done some good things this summer, and you should be proud of yourself.
2005-09-11 9:14 PM

User image

Champion
Whizzzzzlandia
Silver member

Great JOB!!! Your run splits are fab! I'm envious. Nice work.

Whizzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Lake Geneva Triathlon Rss Feed