General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Looking for good roads for training rides around Maple Grove or Plymouth Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2011-08-12 10:38 AM

Subject: Looking for good roads for training rides around Maple Grove or Plymouth

Hi all,

I just recently moved back to Maple Grove after spending the last few years in Minneapolis.  I'm looking for some good roads to perform long training rides.  I'm willing to load up the bike in my vehicle and drive a few miles if I can locate a good starting region.  Any advice for riding in this area is much appreciated.

Thanks!

2011-08-12 10:09 PM
in reply to: #3640894

New user
Albertville
Subject: RE: Looking for good roads for training rides around Maple Grove or Plymouth
Go West!  Hit Hwy 19 and go south through Baker park and you can meet up with trail in Minnetonka. 
2011-08-13 9:34 AM

Subject: RE: Looking for good roads for training rides around Maple Grove or Plymouth
Thank you! I will be taking your advice for my ride tomorrow and heading west to 19.  Looks like it will be a good ride!
2011-08-13 12:07 PM
in reply to: #3641971

User image

Champion
, Minnesota
Bronze member
In the Baker Park area, a good standby route is the bike course for the Liberty triathlon:

http://www.mapmyride.com/s/routes/view/road-cycling-map/minnesota/maple-plain/29479106

You could probably ride from MG and hook up to it at some point, depending on the miles you want.

Also, you could try the Maple Grove triathlon route:

http://www.mapmyride.com/s/routes/view/road-cycling-map/minnesota/corcoran/38577742

All but one small section has decent shoulders for riding, and even the tricky bit is short and not a lot of traffic.
2011-08-13 2:29 PM

User image

Veteran
Maple Grove

i agree with the "Go West, Young Man" sentiment. Cty rd 30 will get you to 19 (there is a blacktop trail that runs parallel to the road), and if you head South you can catch Cty 24 at Baker Park, which is a great road, wide shoulders, and nice rollers (the first stretch of it is the Tuesday Night Time Trial route).

If you go to the routes tab above, and search for bike routes with maple grove as the key word, there are several good routes that show up.  i live in the SW corner near plymouth and medina, so it's easy for me to pick up the Liberty tri route or the MG tri route (I actually live right off of it). I've ridden down 101 to wayzata to pick up the Dakotah trail, or down vicksburg to get on the Luce Line and go in towards the city. Finally, if you live more in the east or NE of MG, you're not far from Elm Creek Park Reserve and the Shingle Creek trail that goes to the Coon Rapids dam. Depending on how you put it together, you can easily get 30-50 miles of nice routes.

2011-08-15 9:39 PM

Thanks everyone for the info in this thread!

I took 30 west to 19, and got a fantastic 36 miler in.  I will definitely continue training on these roads in the future. I appreciate all of the advice!

2011-08-16 1:50 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Maple Grove

Are you open to group long ride? I live in MG. I'm looking to do 72 miles this Sunday 7AM from MG to Buffalo to Monitcello and back.

larson07 - 2011-08-12 10:38 AM

Hi all,

I just recently moved back to Maple Grove after spending the last few years in Minneapolis.  I'm looking for some good roads to perform long training rides.  I'm willing to load up the bike in my vehicle and drive a few miles if I can locate a good starting region.  Any advice for riding in this area is much appreciated.

Thanks!

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Looking for good roads for training rides around Maple Grove or Plymouth Rss Feed