General Discussion Triathlon Talk » TOBAY Triathlon : Official Thread Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 2

2011-08-27 7:31 PM
in reply to: #3661821

User image

Regular
Erbil
Subject: RE: TOBAY Triathlon : Official Thread

I brought up vendors as just one issue.  There is the Town of Oyster Bay, the volunteers, the police, etc.  There is so much involved with putting a race together.  Don't take this the wrong way, but unless you have be involved with a production of this size, be it a race, charity ride, golf tournament, etc., you have no idea how difficult it is to organize.  It's easy for you to race next week, maybe, but expecting everyone to change their schedule is asking too much. And do you really want to eat week old bagels & bananas after the race?

2011-08-27 8:24 PM
in reply to: #3662303

User image

i know it would be a logistical nightmare, im just saying it would be cool really. at least we're getting a discount next year!
2011-09-01 8:49 AM
in reply to: #3642761

Regular
Babylon

Getting injured before a race has nothing to do with a refund do to race cancellation.  If IM cancels a race, they do, do good on it.

No one is being insensitive when they feel that they should have the option to get the money back before the charity gets it.  Personally, I believe that you should not give the charity any money until the race is completed as you do not know what is left or how much to give.

It does sound a little fishy.  Maybe I should start race organizing.  Apparently you can cancel a race and still keep the entry fee.  Sounds like a profitable business no matter what.

I like that business plan.

2011-09-05 11:35 AM
in reply to: #3668758

User image

moriatesg - 2011-09-01 9:49 AM

Getting injured before a race has nothing to do with a refund do to race cancellation.  If IM cancels a race, they do, do good on it.

No one is being insensitive when they feel that they should have the option to get the money back before the charity gets it.  Personally, I believe that you should not give the charity any money until the race is completed as you do not know what is left or how much to give.

It does sound a little fishy.  Maybe I should start race organizing.  Apparently you can cancel a race and still keep the entry fee.  Sounds like a profitable business no matter what.

I like that business plan.

Getting injured or sick right before an event; a triathlon event being changed to a duathlon due to high bacteria counts; an event being ouright cancelled due to an act of nature like a Hurricane; these are all unexpected and unplanned phenomenon that cannot be predicted.  When you sign up for a race these are the risks we incur.  There is no insurance you will get what you paid for back if you cannot attent the event, or if the event is cancelled.  The Jamesport Sound to Bay 10k was rescheduled; however, it is a 10k race which has less logistical and operational challenges compared to a triathlon.  And the earliest date they could reschedule the 10k would be mid-October, which would be too late and cold for a triathlon.    

As you suggested, perhaps you should organize your own triathlon race and you'll be astounded by the amount of time and work that is behind putting on such an event and dealing with the politics of town permits, recruiting volunteers, insurance premiums, swim-bike-run course set-up, procurement of merchandise, timing implementation, medical staff coordination, charity involvement, dealing with all the athlete's who whine and complain.  Perhaps then you will be more empathetic as to what is actually involved in setting up an event like this.

When it's all said and done, between the overall cost, time and stress of producing an event like this, and the percentage donated to charity, I'm sure the Race Director is not going to retire.  In fact, I'm certain they would have much rather the hurricane missed Long Island altogether and everyone would have been able to race, have fun, enjoyed a great day with family and friends while accomplishing their goals.  Cause something tells me, that's why they put this Race together:  for the charities and to bring people together who share a common love for this healthy lifestyle of Swimming, Running and Biking.  And something also tells me if it were possible, they would reschedule the event but logistically it's just not possible and would probably end up costing money.  In the end, I think offering a discount to next years race was quite frankly the best and fairest option they could offer.   

Edited by Dream Chaser 2011-09-05 11:40 AM
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » TOBAY Triathlon : Official Thread Rss Feed  

of 2