General Discussion Triathlon Talk » TOBAY Triathlon : Official Thread Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 2

2011-08-14 9:13 AM

Subject: TOBAY Triathlon : Official Thread

Can't believe this is only two weeks away.  After Smith Point, all I can say is; please no more rain!!!!

This will be my first Tobay; I talked to someone and they said the water for the swim is really gross, and needed a swig of mouthwash to get the taste out of their mouth last year.  Doesn't sound appealing if you ask me.  Any additional thoughts on this race?? 

2011-08-14 11:31 AM
in reply to: #3642761

User image

Subject: RE: TOBAY Triathlon : Official Thread
yes the swim is gross but i swam worse, great south bay last year...YUCK!! its a somewhat hilly course biking, moors hill is tough but nice and short! overall a great race and im happy to be in the first wave
2011-08-14 11:37 AM

User image

Regular
Erbil

Very challenging bike course and the run has a nice climb also.  Fun race.  The swim distance has varied at times so don't be too excited or disappointed when you exit the water & look at your watch.  One year the swim ended up being 1400 meters.  My swim time was so slow based on the 1K distance, but I still placed in the AG. 

Good Luck!

2011-08-15 10:05 AM
in reply to: #3642878

Iron Monger - 2011-08-14 12:37 PM

Very challenging bike course and the run has a nice climb also.  Fun race.  The swim distance has varied at times so don't be too excited or disappointed when you exit the water & look at your watch.  One year the swim ended up being 1400 meters.  My swim time was so slow based on the 1K distance, but I still placed in the AG. 

Good Luck!

Hold on for a sec.  Was this swim advertised as a 800m swim and it turned out to be a 1400m swim?  That would concern me since I've never attempted 1400m in open water yet, and that could be a problem.  If they changed the swim length over time, okay, but what's with the different measurements? 

2011-08-15 5:41 PM
in reply to: #3643973

User image

Veteran
Turtle who Tris - 2011-08-15 11:05 AM

Good Luck!

Hold on for a sec.  Was this swim advertised as a 800m swim and it turned out to be a 1400m swim?  That would concern me since I've never attempted 1400m in open water yet, and that could be a problem.  If they changed the swim length over time, okay, but what's with the different measurements? 

Triathlons are notorious for having swim distances that are different than advertised. Sometimes the buoys drift or sometimes there is a current that makes it feel longer. When I did tobay two years ago I thought the swim was accurate. I wouldn't sweat it. It could even be short!
2011-08-15 5:58 PM
in reply to: #3644808

User image

Regular
Erbil
tallvinny - 2011-08-15 6:41 PM
Turtle who Tris - 2011-08-15 11:05 AM

Good Luck!

Triathlons are notorious for having swim distances that are different than advertised. Sometimes the buoys drift or sometimes there is a current that makes it feel longer. When I did tobay two years ago I thought the swim was accurate. I wouldn't sweat it. It could even be short!

It has always been a 1K swim.  One year it was short.  It happens as Vinny says!

2011-08-23 5:11 AM

New user

Just saw hurricane irene might be an issue sun seems like every race this season on the island has rained
2011-08-23 9:44 AM

User image

Regular
Northport, NY
looking like heavy rain/wind. May even be in the outer bands of Hurricane Irene Should be interesting. The swim might be a washing machine.

Update - As of 11:00 A.M. we are in the potential hurricane cone for Sunday Morning. Looking wild.

http://www.nhc.noaa.gov/graphics_at4.shtml?5-daynl?large#contents

Do they ever postpone races?

Edited by jellyfish74 2011-08-23 10:01 AM
2011-08-23 3:57 PM

Well, GLIRC doesn't know what the weekend in going to bring in terms of weather, so it should be interesting to see what happens.

Just got a reminder e-mail from them  and they addressed the possibility of the hurricane 

"We know that many of you are concerned about the possibility of Hurricane Irene causing some problems on Sunday. Obviously it is way too early for anyone to predict what course the storm may take or when it may hit Long Island, if at all. You can be sure that - in conjunction with Town and law enforcement officials - we will monitor any situation if and as it develops, and if there is any information that we need to communicate with you, we will do so in a timely manner."

Other than Gold Coast, has there been any other tri on LI that had good weather this year?  So far I'm 2 for 3 in the rain/nor'easter triathlons (Pool tri in April and Smith Point on 8/7). 

2011-08-24 11:08 AM
in reply to: #3655932

User image

hope the race can get on before the storm if not delay it a week!

though a bit cool the great south bay race had great weather!

2011-08-25 4:14 PM

User image

From the Tobay website:

We understand that most of you are concerned about Hurricane Ireneand the effect it may have on this Sunday's Runner's Edge - TOBAY Triathlon. We can not predict the course of the Hurricane and its possible effect at this point.

Needless to say, our Club and the Town of Oyster Bay share your concerns. We all obviously want the event to proceed as scheduled, but we are also quite conscious of the need to assure the safety of our participants.

The Runner's Edge-TOBAY JUNIOR Triathlon will, of course, proceed as scheduled Saturday morning. By Saturday afternoon we will be in a position to make a rational decision as to what changes, if any, need to be made for Sunday.

As soon as any decision is made, we will send you an email and post the information on the GLIRC and Triathlon (this site) websites.

We understand your concerns and share them, but there really is no point in contacting us before Saturday. Please watch this website for any updates on Saturday afternoon.

2011-08-25 4:15 PM

User image

I'm kind of shocked they are having the kids triathlon on Saturday.  I wouldn't be surprised if they cancelled it. 
2011-08-25 4:18 PM
in reply to: #3659756

User image

Elite
Dream Chaser - 2011-08-25 5:14 PM From the Tobay website:

We understand that most of you are concerned about Hurricane Ireneand the effect it may have on this Sunday's Runner's Edge - TOBAY Triathlon. We can not predict the course of the Hurricane and its possible effect at this point.

Needless to say, our Club and the Town of Oyster Bay share your concerns. We all obviously want the event to proceed as scheduled, but we are also quite conscious of the need to assure the safety of our participants.

The Runner's Edge-TOBAY JUNIOR Triathlon will, of course, proceed as scheduled Saturday morning. By Saturday afternoon we will be in a position to make a rational decision as to what changes, if any, need to be made for Sunday.

As soon as any decision is made, we will send you an email and post the information on the GLIRC and Triathlon (this site) websites.

We understand your concerns and share them, but there really is no point in contacting us before Saturday. Please watch this website for any updates on Saturday afternoon.

HTFU and race already....we dont spend money to be aero for nothing!!!

Wasnt racing anyway but there is no way this race is going on...maybe next week

2011-08-25 4:21 PM
in reply to: #3659767

User image

FELTGood - 2011-08-25 5:18 PM
Dream Chaser - 2011-08-25 5:14 PM From the Tobay website:

HTFU and race already....we dont spend money to be aero for nothing!!!

Wasnt racing anyway but there is no way this race is going on...maybe next week

But think of the TAILWINDS you could get on the bike!!!  80+ MPH!!!! WHeeeeeeeeeeee!!!!!!!!!!
2011-08-26 8:55 AM

Regular
Babylon

Well it was cancelled.  This is what I do not get.  We do not get refunds because they spend all the money and have the rest to charity.  They will offer us discounts to next year.  What happens if it is cancelled next year, we will still loose our money.

How do we loose our money.  It makes no sense.  Sounds like poor money management.  I also think that they should cancel the juniors race.  That just sounds like negligence.  If my kid was competing, I would not let it happen.

2011-08-26 9:03 AM
in reply to: #3660456

User image

Elite
moriatesg - 2011-08-26 9:55 AM

Well it was cancelled.  This is what I do not get.  We do not get refunds because they spend all the money and have the rest to charity.  They will offer us discounts to next year.  What happens if it is cancelled next year, we will still loose our money.

How do we loose our money.  It makes no sense.  Sounds like poor money management.  I also think that they should cancel the juniors race.  That just sounds like negligence.  If my kid was competing, I would not let it happen.

i agree....I understand maybe they have to keep a little bit, but not all of it or even most of it....I know this will sound insensitive but I think they need to tell the charity sorry, maybe next year.

2011-08-26 9:20 AM
in reply to: #3660471

FELTGood - 2011-08-26 10:03 AM

i agree....I understand maybe they have to keep a little bit, but not all of it or even most of it....I know this will sound insensitive but I think they need to tell the charity sorry, maybe next year.

Since I'm new to the sport, I don't have anything to compare this to, but is this normal procedure to get not even a partial refund if a race was cancelled??  I know that there are charitable organizations that do benefit from some of the race fee, however, (yup I'm being a little insensitive too), we did also pay for something we're not getting, and normally that warrants a refund of some sort. I'm all for even giving the charities some of the funds, but give the participants at least a little something.

Couldn't they have free registration next year for the participants??  If not, I guess I'll be deducting this charitable deduction from my taxes for this year.

2011-08-26 9:40 AM

this ....

Edited by gary_a_gooner 2011-08-26 9:41 AM
2011-08-26 12:26 PM
in reply to: #3660504

User image

Turtle who Tris - 2011-08-26 10:20 AM
moriatesg - 2011-08-26 9:55 AM<p>Well it was cancelled.  This is what I do not get.  We do not get refunds because they spend all the money and have the rest to charity.  They will offer us discounts to next year.  What happens if it is cancelled next year, we will still loose our money.</p><p>How do we loose our money.  It makes no sense.  Sounds like poor money management.  I also think that they should cancel the juniors race.  That just sounds like negligence.  If my kid was competing, I would not let it happen.</p><p>
</p><p>i agree....I understand maybe they have to keep a little bit, but not all of it or even most of it....I know this will sound insensitive but I think they need to tell the charity sorry, maybe next year.</p><p>
</p><p>Since I'm new to the sport, I don't have anything to compare this to, but is this normal procedure to get not even a partial refund if a race was cancelled??  I know that there are charitable organizations that do benefit from some of the race fee, however, (yup I'm being a little insensitive too), we did also pay for something we're not getting, and normally that warrants a refund of some sort. I'm all for even giving the charities some of the funds, but give the participants at least a little something.</p><p>Couldn't they have <strong>free</strong> registration next year for the participants??  If not, I guess I'll be deducting this charitable deduction from my taxes for this year.</p>
<br /><br /><br />Any time you sign up and pay for a race in advance it is a risk.  I signed up for an Ironman 2 years ago and dropped 600 bucks for the event a year in advance.  I trained for 11 months and then got injured a month out!!  I did not recieve a refund.  That's the breaks.  They are offering a discount for next year.  That is generous of them.<br />

Edited by Dream Chaser 2011-08-26 12:28 PM
2011-08-26 12:52 PM
in reply to: #3660881

User image

Elite
Dream Chaser - 2011-08-26 1:26 PM
Turtle who Tris - 2011-08-26 10:20 AM

Since I'm new to the sport, I don't have anything to compare this to, but is this normal procedure to get not even a partial refund if a race was cancelled??  I know that there are charitable organizations that do benefit from some of the race fee, however, (yup I'm being a little insensitive too), we did also pay for something we're not getting, and normally that warrants a refund of some sort. I'm all for even giving the charities some of the funds, but give the participants at least a little something.

Couldn't they have free registration next year for the participants??  If not, I guess I'll be deducting this charitable deduction from my taxes for this year.

Any time you sign up and pay for a race in advance it is a risk.  I signed up for an Ironman 2 years ago and dropped 600 bucks for the event a year in advance.  I trained for 11 months and then got injured a month out!!  I did not recieve a refund.  That's the breaks.  They are offering a discount for next year.  That is generous of them.

I understand what you are saying, because this race is not the first to not offer refunds but the big difference between what happened to you and this instance is with your IM race you did not attend, and the race was held.  I can see that a race cannot be responsible if a participant gets injured, flight delayed, death in family, sickness etc especially if the race is conducted.  However in this case since the race is not even taking place I think that is another issue.

I wonder if an IM or 70.3 was cancelled due to something like this, what the WTC would do...maybe its in their contract or registration paperwor

2011-08-26 3:54 PM

User image

Expert
Douglaston, NY

I would assume that needing to cancel it two days before it was supposed to happen also had something to do with the lack of a refund.  I'm as cheap as anyone but I completely understand from a business standpoint that commitments, contracts, and payments were probably already made to their suppliers, service providers, etc.  They might have even made a minimum gift commitment to the charity for allowing the use of their name as well (this is WILD speculation on my part but I am just saying that I am sure there are expenses we perhaps aren't even considering).

Maybe I'm easier to please than I thought though because I was pleasantly surprised by their communication to date and their willingness to mail us our t-shirt and packets.  I've got way too much to do tomorrow to prepare for the hurricane at my place and my grandmother-in-law's to pick it up but it will be nice to have a memento of my first tri canceled by a hurricane.  

2011-08-26 7:42 PM
in reply to: #3661330

Sulcus - 2011-08-26 4:54 PM

I would assume that needing to cancel it two days before it was supposed to happen also had something to do with the lack of a refund.  I'm as cheap as anyone but I completely understand from a business standpoint that commitments, contracts, and payments were probably already made to their suppliers, service providers, etc.  They might have even made a minimum gift commitment to the charity for allowing the use of their name as well (this is WILD speculation on my part but I am just saying that I am sure there are expenses we perhaps aren't even considering).

Maybe I'm easier to please than I thought though because I was pleasantly surprised by their communication to date and their willingness to mail us our t-shirt and packets.  I've got way too much to do tomorrow to prepare for the hurricane at my place and my grandmother-in-law's to pick it up but it will be nice to have a memento of my first tri canceled by a hurricane.  

Fair enough.  It is true that the communication has been great over the last few days, so I definitely have to give GLIRC props for that.  I just another e-mail saying they cancelled the junior triathlon tomorrow. 

Now, since you had every intention of participating, but couldn't because the race was cancelled, are you still allowed to wear the shirt or is that bad form?  Smile

2011-08-27 6:47 AM
in reply to: #3661512

User image

Regular
Erbil
Turtle who Tris - 2011-08-26 8:42 PM
Sulcus - 2011-08-26 4:54 PM

Fair enough.  It is true that the communication has been great over the last few days, so I definitely have to give GLIRC props for that.  I just another e-mail saying they cancelled the junior triathlon tomorrow. 

Now, since you had every intention of participating, but couldn't because the race was cancelled, are you still allowed to wear the shirt or is that bad form?  Smile

I say you could wear the shirt.  If you withdrew & the race went forward, no.  I wear a shirt from a tri in Austin a few years ago.  Torrential rain that morning.  Swim cancelled due to run off (dog poop!), then the whole race cancelled due to dangerous conditions.  All these decisions made as we were standing in transition waiting in the pouring rain.  NOT fun.  No refund, plus I was out cash for a hotel, gas, meals, etc...  It happens.  You really don't want to be out there tomorrow.  That bike course in the rain is dangerous. 

You may have lost the entry fee, but GLIRC is now faced with a cancellation of an event & the "bad press" that goes with that, even if it wasn't there fault.  People will remember that next year & may not decide to race.  So no one really wins, or makes out.  The vendors are not going to refund  GLIRC, so how do you expect them to give you money back?  The race organization is not happy too. They want a race just as much as you do.

2011-08-27 7:22 AM

User image

Veteran
Lakewood Ranch, Florida

I am assuming it would not be possible to reschedule the race to next weekend ?? I know it would probably be a problem for the vendors, so what, cant they do it without vendors ?? Ppl paid already and as long as they can get the ok from the town i do not see why they cannot have it, as long as they have volunteers willing to help with the course it doesnt seem like it would be that big of a deal..How many of us do races so we can see the vendors anyway .  Just reschedule the race, if possible and everyone will be happy, unless ofcourse you have a prior commitment then you will just have to suck it up and lose your entry fee, i am sure there is something i do not realize and i assume they tried to reschudule it, but if it is about the vendors then that is wrong. JMO

2011-08-27 9:46 AM

User image

i think it would be cool if it was rescheduled for mid septmber
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » TOBAY Triathlon : Official Thread Rss Feed  

of 2