Set Up Events
80F / 27C
Precipitation
Total Time = 1h 53m 44s
Overall Rank = 67/224
Age Group = F35-39
Age Group Rank = 12/39
Pre-race routine:

Going into this race i did not have high expectations. I have not put the time in this year onthe bike or the swim and I'm at the slow, sore beginning of building up mileage for my 50m race in November. So I had broad, manageable goals and I wanted to have fun.

Tony and I drove done to Luray Friday night. Tony was not able to race on Sat. in the International b/c he is getting his back in good shape. We went over to the race Sat. to root for other CycleLife team members. It was nice to sit around and chat with the group.

I got in a 10m run afterwards to keep my JFK training up but tried to take it easy so my legs would be ready on Sunday.
Event warmup:

Not much - just chilled, set up my area and stucka toe in the water.

Luckily the severe thunderstorms that were predicted for the AM held off and we got things started on time w/ only a few showers here and there.
Swim
  • 21m 24s
  • 750 meters
  • 02m 51s / 100 meters
Comments:

I was surprised to hear that the swim was wetsuit legal. It didn't even consider that possibility so I didn't pack my suit. I might have lost a little time but I was glad that I swam without it.

It was actually a decent swim for me cnosidering I have barely swam this year let alone this month. I did the first 2 sections perfectly but got a little off course along the home stretch. Still I wanted to be under 25 min - I now sad goal for some and was going to be thrilled with 21-22min. I actually came out of the water just over 20min so all in all a great swim for me.
What would you do differently?:

I have to learn to swim to even worry about changes.
Transition 1
  • 02m 10s
Comments:

Long run to transition and a good portion of stairs along the way. I was all the way at the far end too so I think a good time. Very fast change once I got to my bike.

nothing
7th AG / 34 Overall
Bike
  • 1h 01m 59s
  • 17 miles
  • 16.46 mile/hr
Comments:

This was a beast of a sprint bike course. Nice hill to start things off followed by some long slow rollers and then a long false flat that sucked the energy out of your legs. And that was just the first 4 miles.

Next turn was a 1.5m serious downhill. I was not able to fly down it. The roads were a little wet and I'm still nervous after my accident on the bike. I definitely lost time on the downhills for braking and sitting up b/c I was scared to go to fast.

The rest of the course was rolling with another false flat section then a brief low grade downhill followed by that beast of a hill coming home. It was tough and I had held my goal pace until I got to the last 0.5m on course. Still I did pretty good considering my training.

One very sad note - the day before we went to a BBQ at a team member's house which was on part of the bike course. I saw an adorable little fawn grazing in a field along the road. When I passed the same section on my bike Sunday AM, I saw the fawn crumpled on the side of the road. Life can be so cruel sometimes.

Not much - I rode smart and safe. I passed a ton of people out on course and was passed by very few.
Transition 2
  • 01m 12s
Comments:

Good transition - had trouble getting my shoes on w/ wet feet and turned the wrong way to go out for the run. Cost me a few seconds.

Know where the run out is.
Run
  • 27m 2s
  • 3.11 miles
  • 08m 41s  min/mile
Comments:

Not as easy a run course as I thought it was going to be. I ran part of it on Sat. and it didn't seem so bad but there was more uphill coming home.

It was an ok run. I pushed really hard on the bike so I knew the run would hurt. Cardio was actually better than expected and I could have pushed myself up a level if I had been in contention for AG but I choose to work hard but not kill myself.
Post race
Warm down:

Met up w/ Tony and some fellow teammates. Ate some food then we packed up and headed back for a shower.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Lack of training.

Event comments:

Well run event, great park location and a real challenge for either the sprint or international. I would go back again.

Last updated: 2011-06-01 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:21:24 | 750 meters | 02m 51s / 100meters
Age Group: 34/39
Overall: 178/224
Performance: Good
Suit: Tri suit
Course: Triangle shape course in a small lake.
Start type: Plus:
Water temp: 77F / 25C Current: Low
200M Perf. Remainder:
Breathing: Drafting:
Waves: Navigation:
Rounding:
T1
Time: 02:10
Cap removal: Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike:
Jump on bike:
Getting up to speed:
Biking
01:01:59 | 17 miles | 16.46 mile/hr
Age Group: 10/39
Overall: 47/224
Wind: None
Course: Hilly, false flats and some serious downhills
Road: Rough Wet Cadence:
Turns: Cornering:
Gear changes: Hills:
Race pace: Drinks:
T2
Time: 01:12
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike
Racking bike
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
00:27:02 | 03.11 miles | 08m 41s  min/mile
Age Group: 0/39
Overall: 0/224
Course: Rolling hills
Keeping cool Drinking
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5]
Physical exertion [1-5]
Good race?
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2011-08-15 8:28 AM

User image

Expert
CHARLOTTESVILLE, Virginia
Subject: Luray Sprint Triathlon

2011-08-15 9:18 AM
in reply to: #3643746

User image

Champion
Verona WI--Ironman Bike Country!
Subject: RE: Luray Sprint Triathlon
Woo-Hoo Sam, you did it naked (without the wetsuit!) .....very impressed. 
2011-08-15 9:21 AM
in reply to: #3643844

User image

Champion
Charlottesville, Virginia
Great job Sam!
2011-08-15 10:22 AM

User image

Elite
san francisco
Way to go, Sam!  Love that you beat your goal on the swim and without a wetsuit, to boot!  So nice that you can have a little "fun" sprinkled into ultra-training.  
2011-08-15 12:16 PM

User image

Master
Maryland
Excellent race Sam, I was wondering about the weather. This one is on my list maybe next year. Good job without wetsuit and pushing on the bike!
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Luray Sprint Triathlon Rss Feed